• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
D_xJCzZXUAM0WsG.png

heartbreaking

Very sad.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
if anyone is unfamiliar with the studio and would like a short taste of the culture surrounding kyoani, two years ago they produced a 20-minute short film featuring their mascot and set in their offices. it encapsulates the spirit of slice-of-life and the commitment to expressive character animation that's made them so beloved and I highly recommend checking it out to get a sense of what we've lost today. unfortunately it's not streaming anywhere internationally, but it's on youtube (without subtitles though)

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
fuck how fast was that fucking fire? Jesus christ

There was a video of the smoke - it was thick, and very very dark. Since it was a gas fire, and there was that spiral staircase thing in the center of the offices - well, it probably engulfed the top floor very, very shortly after it started. Literally didn't matter how close or far the door was - a few breaths of thick smoke, especially gas smoke, and you're going to lose consciousness. The rest is well... as we saw. Literally not enough time to even really comprehend what was happening, let alone escape.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
fuck how fast was that fucking fire? Jesus christ

They said it spread incredibly fast because of the gasoline, and the spiral staircase that went through all three floors. Basically the suspect lit the fire on the first floor right by the spiral staircase. He used so much gas that there was what appeared to be an "explosion", and the flames immediately shot up to the floors above. He also mentioned that there was a bunch of flammable stuff on the 2nd floor that contributed.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely terrible : ( Why would anyone do this? Some messed up people out there.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
They're now saying he used to work at an affiliated company, and that he's had a history of cops being called to his apartment for noise complaints and shit.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
If this was a normal fire people would have been able to escape. It was a planned mass murder, the guy purposefully cut off any chance of survival that he saw and tried to take all of them out. Fuck this guy. I hope his death is painful

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with one of the mod posts in that thread. Any of the chan rumours are unverifiable at this stage; it's useless to put stock in any of them.

There's a recording of a legit news report from TV Asahi posted elsewhere in that thread though (no real new information, and some distressing images from what I skimmed).

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multiple times, but maybe not until they confirm KyoAni OK'd it. I don't believe it's a scam or anything, but it feels like it got rushed out (perhaps to get it out before somebody tries to pull an actual scam fund?).

I'm weary because we have no idea how the funds are actually going to reach KyoAni and until anything official happens we shouldn't signal boost any donation things, even if they're from the western anime industry. This is the sort of thing that desperately needs that disclosure.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm just weary because we have no idea how the funds are actually going to reach KyoAni and until anything official happens we shouldn't signal boost any donation things, even if they're from the western anime industry.

I mean gofundme with sentai reassures people that the money would be on hold with gofundme until they know how it would reach the victims.

If sentai can't do it all would get refunded so I think its fine to signal boost it

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I'm weary because we have no idea how the funds are actually going to reach KyoAni and until anything official happens we shouldn't signal boost any donation things, even if they're from the western anime industry. This is the sort of thing that desperately needs that disclosure.
The worst that will happen is GoFundMe refunds the donations..

For campaigns like this their time of maximum impact is directly after the incident while people who normally wouldn't be paying attention to this news, or even aren't fans of anime etc., are still wanting to find some way to help - KyoAni are in no position to be doing something like this at this moment which is why a third party have taken the initiative. We absolutely should spread it as wide as possible.

It's weird that the reaction on Japanese social media, news, etc. to this has been overwhelmingly positive and thankful, with people setting up guides and translations to help people donate in other languages etc but on western sites there is bizarre cynicism and negative opinions everywhere..

Also have to make special note of the Chinese fans donating, making up the majority at times and many of whom going for $100, $200. As much as there are tensions between the countries at times mutual love for cute anime conquers all.

Last edited:

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
For campaigns like this their time of maximum impact is directly after the incident while people who normally wouldn't be paying attention to this news, or even aren't fans of anime etc., are still wanting to find some way to help - KyoAni are in no position to be doing something like this at this moment which is why a third party have taken the initiative. We absolutely should spread it as wide as possible.
Yep. It's incredibly important to get the donations to help people while everyone is still paying attention.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hearing the death toll being at 33 this morning on the radio hit me like a truck. For whatever reason I didn't think it could be that bad.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I agree with one of the mod posts in that thread. Any of the chan rumours are unverifiable at this stage; it's useless to put stock in any of them.

There's a recording of a legit news report from TV Asahi posted elsewhere in that thread though (no real new information, and some distressing images from what I skimmed).
Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock in the 2ch/5ch stuff but it's quite bizarre. Searching バリサク 小説 ("barisaku novel") on Twitter shows people discussing the killer's motive as being the theft of his novel because it was mentioned in the news (e.g. here and here).

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
No info on if Yasuhiro Takemoto is still missing? I've been keeping an eye out all day.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if there's really anything I could add other than this was heartbreaking after I learned the full scope of what happened. They're the studio that got me back into anime, so it feels very personal to me.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
No info on if Yasuhiro Takemoto is still missing? I've been keeping an eye out all day.
The above mention of Miku Kadowaki is the first name we've heard today. Naoko Yamada and Tatsuya Ishihara were said to be safe yesterday, by Suguru Yamaguchi (Tamako Market music producer) and Shoji Gatoh (Fullmetal Panic author) respectively.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird that the reaction on Japanese social media, news, etc. to this has been overwhelmingly positive and thankful, with people setting up guides and translations to help people donate in other languages etc but on western sites there is bizarre cynicism and negative opinions everywhere..

What's the story here? Is it because it has to do with the subject of anime, or people are more angry with the situation?

Nov 1, 2017
Sentai posted an update on the GoFundMe.

Thanks to your incredible love, support and generosity, more than $1,000,000 has been raised in the hours since this GoFundMe drive was launched.

Since the studio's founding in 1981, Kyoto Animation has touched the lives and inspired the imaginations of millions of people across the globe. KyoAni's impeccable storytelling and beautiful animation have brought joy immeasurable to the anime community, and it is our honor to extend our hand to them in the wake of the recent attack.

As support continues to pour in from around the world, we remain dedicated to aiding those impacted by this tragedy in the most appropriate and effective ways possible.

We are actively working to establish the most direct bridge to delivering this aid to affected KyoAni staff and their families.

We established this GoFundMe drive to help build that bridge through all of your generous support. The funds pledged and collected through this drive will not be touched until we have confidence they will reach the intended recipients. We want donors and those considering donating to this drive to understand that, apart from GoFundMe's fees to provide a platform for support, every dollar collected will go to the intended recipients.

Thank you for your continuing support.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Sentai posted an update on the GoFundMe.
I do hope they realize how important it will be for them to remain communicative and transparent with this process. Any notion of some kind of subterfuge with handling this would backfire stupendously on them.

At least it seems that the support still flows in. They passed $1.2 Million now:
6zMP07A.png

But again, for those who want to have a Direct line of support to Kyoto Animation itself. The best way to accomplish this is to purchase from their shop:

And here is a handy guide to do so. Because all these things are digital there will be no burden on workers or such. And all the proceeds are direct to KyoAni without any middleman:

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I do hope they realize how important it will be for them to remain communicative and transparent with this process. Any notion of some kind of subterfuge with handling this would backfire stupendously on them.

At least it seems that the support still flows in. They passed $1.2 Million now:
6zMP07A.png

But again, for those who want to have a Direct line of support to Kyoto Animation itself. The best way to accomplish this is to purchase from their shop:

And here is a handy guide to do so. Because all these things are digital there will be no burden on workers or such. And all the proceeds are direct to KyoAni without any middleman:

Like i said on Twitter... Buying the digital art is fine but its no way directly giving to kyoani or the victims

Keep in mind most of the money re: merchandise sales would be given to the production comittee

Unless they say all profits would be given to the victims I don't think its a much better way to give money

Anyways feel free on which method to use

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sentai Filmworks isn't some shady business (afaik). I'm not sure where all the suspicion is coming from unless a). you've literally never heard of them before now or b). you're suspicious of a majority of donation-type things, which is understandable. If you're wanting to wait until you know for sure KyoAni will even accept it, or if it can even get to them, that's also understandable.

But I highly doubt they would pull any funny moves with the money and risk their business with such negative press, that would be like shooting themselves in the head.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sentai Filmworks has had a working relationship with KyoAni for many years. They'd be stupid to try to scam them, especially considering how high profile this incident has been.

Jun 17, 2019
Update from Japan today regarding situations and about the condition of the suspect.

Japan today "More details emerge about anime studio arson attack"

A man resembling the suspect went to a gasoline station on Thursday with two 20-liter cans, Japanese media said. Two cans, a rucksack and a trolley were found near the site, and television footage showed what appeared to be five long knives laid out on the ground outside the three-story building.

The suspect had no connection with Kyoto Animation and his driver's license listed an address in Saitama Prefecture, public broadcaster NHK said. Little else was known about the man, who is under police supervision with serious burns to the face and legs, media reports said.

NHK showed footage of what it said appeared to be the suspect lying on his back on the ground as he spoke to a police officer, shoeless and with what appeared to be burns on his right leg below the knee.

Japan Times article Updated

According to investigative sources on Friday, the suspect said he set the studio fire on the studio because it "stole a novel."

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sentai Filmworks isn't some shady business (afaik). I'm not sure where all the suspicion is coming from unless a). you've literally never heard of them before now or b). you're suspicious of a majority of donation-type things, which is understandable. If you're wanting to wait until you know for sure KyoAni will even accept it, or if it can even get to them, that's also understandable.

But I highly doubt they would pull any funny moves with the money and risk their business with such negative press, that would be like shooting themselves in the head.
yeah, john ledford was kind of a dick yearrsss ago but he's not gonna fuck up and scam people during a tragedy.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I work in the anime industry. I know who Sentai Filmworks is! They're fine! The charity is well meaning, but it was also set up hastily without much foresight. It's those two things that get me. You can stumble into something without thinking it though and having a plan, out of a desire to do good by people. But something like this needs that foresight in my opinion, and it needs that disclosure of how exactly the money's going to get to where it's said to be going. Because there are things even the best intentioned people can't account for if they don't, well, plan something out.

They might have done this in the 12h since I've checked in on it, admittedly, but it wasn't like that when I went to bed.

Anyone thinking shady business is chasing the wrong rabbit hole though, definitely.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I work in the anime industry. I know who Sentai Filmworks is! They're fine! The charity is well meaning, but it was also set up hastily without much foresight. It's those two things that get me. You can stumble into something without thinking it though and having a plan, out of a desire to do good by people. But something like this needs that foresight in my opinion, and it needs that disclosure of how exactly the money's going to get to where it's said to be going. Because there are things even the best intentioned people can't account for if they don't, well, plan something out.

They might have done this in the 12h since I've checked in on it, admittedly, but it wasn't like that when I went to bed.

Anyone thinking shady business is chasing the wrong rabbit hole though, definitely.

They did say every dollar except for gofundme facilitation fees would go to the intended recipients also money won't be touched until they are confident on reaching them

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's kind of the same with a lot of people instantly donating food to disaster victims, but when asked, those people needed blankets more than food. It's not that they're shady, it's just the hastiness. It's not that you made a mistake by donating to Sentai's Gofundme anyway, but people are also right if they want to wait a bit.