• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was this already posted? Naomi Ishida was confirmed deceased by her parents?

Edit: reddit user cynewulf:
Previous post was removed because I forgot to flair it. Sorry about that.

The article is in Japanese and you can't read the entire thing without a subscription. But, the basic gist of it is that the Mainichi interviewed Ishida's parents who confirmed that she died in the KyoAni fire. Her mother, 78, is quoted as saying "I can't begin to imagine how terrible it must've been for my daughter in those flames. I cry every time just thinking about it."

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Basic gist: A lawyer from KyoAni confirmed they are working with Sentai to transfer the donation money gathered from that GoFundMe to Japan. Believe there's a few tax things they have to work through.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Both looking forward and dreading the release of names. Though in the end it'll be one step closer in bringing closure to this tragedy.
My feelings exactly. It's hard catching up to this thread every time it jumped to 1st page, way harder than I thought it would be when the news break just being reminded of the people who worked on something so dear and familiar to me.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Sentai posted an update on the GoFundMe which echoes what one of the tweets above said about the situation with them:

Dear Supporters and Followers,

As you may already know, Kyoto Animation has opened an account to receive donations which they've shared via their official website ( http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/information/?id=3075). We have been in contact with their representatives in Japan to finalize the details of delivering your generous donations made through this GoFundMe drive to the victims and their families.

Together we started this movement to help those in need. And together we've far exceeded that original goal with over $2 million in donations raised.

Even though the fundraising phase of this drive will conclude at the end of July, we won't rest until your contributions reach the KyoAni victims and their families in a direct and meaningful way.

Donations made through this GoFundMe drive will not be touched until the details for distribution have been confirmed. We will continue working with KyoAni's appointed representative and we will continue to provide updates as they become available.
An update on this has been shared by KyoAni's legal counsel through their social channel in Japanese ( https://twitter.com/DaisukeP/status/1154181288183521280).

There are no words to describe the outpouring of love and appreciation our community has for the Kyoto Animation family. They know the world is supporting them, and we are dedicated to continuing that support in the days to come.

Thank you,
John Ledford
Sentai Filmworks
President

So they do hold fast on the idea that the money will not be touched until all details about distribution have been finalized. Also it seems this funding outlet will cease at the end of July.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Only heard about this today. This is beyond devastating. Do we know how many people were actually working in the building at the time of the arson?

Nov 5, 2017
animenewsnetwork, in the latest of a long line of journalistic awfulness, tried to justify publishing the names of the deceased despite Kyoani's express wish not to

Looks like it doesn't matter from which country media hails from, they are all pretty bad. Despicable. Always thinking about clickbait headlines and making a quick buck.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
it's admittedly hard to not discuss the names of the deceased when they have integral credits to some of my favorite kyoani works, but out of basic decency and respect for the victims, I don't plan to discuss it publicly until the names are officially released.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
animenewsnetwork, in the latest of a long line of journalistic awfulness, tried to justify publishing the names of the deceased despite Kyoani's express wish not to

I tried looking up their recent articles and only saw the Naomi Ishida post, as her family has stated it publically. Others have already as well. I don't see any other names listed or anything.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tried looking up their recent articles and only saw the Naomi Ishida post, as her family has stated it publically. Others have already as well. I don't see any other names listed or anything.
I think that tweet's point is it's unlikely that the family's decision to go public was purely voluntary to begin with, considering how insistent the JP press are in harassing families for confirmations.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
They didn't state anything in public. Do they think a grieving family just goes up in the open in public and grabs a mic to declare the death of their loved on in the fire? It was reported to the public by NHK, quoting the family members. Do you think the family went to NHK because they really want more attention on themselves, or do you think NHK started identifying potential casualties and tracking down family members to interview? And is that something you think we should support and encourage? That's what this is about.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't state anything in public. Do they think a grieving family just goes up in the open in public and grabs a mic to declare the death of their loved on in the fire? It was reported to the public by NHK, quoting the family members. Do you think the family went to NHK because they really want more attention on themselves, or do you think NHK started identifying potential casualties and tracking down family members to interview? And is that something you think we should support and encourage? That's what this is about.

I think it's a possibility but it's not something that I am going to outright assume that it was what happened. It's entirely possible that they did want to make it known. People do grieve and deal with these things in different ways. I am not denying that it may have been forced out by pushy newspapers, but it isn't the only possibility.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Finally caught up with Dragon Maid and A Silent Voice. The feels. T_T

Might be a bit weird coming from this, but I just felt like wanting to see more of the wonderful work these guys put out. I admit through, when the credits came by, I kind of wondered which names were well, the people that are gone. :( Naomi Ishida was certainly one of them for A Silent Voice.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I think it's a possibility but it's not something that I am going to outright assume that it was what happened. It's entirely possible that they did want to make it known. People do grieve and deal with these things in different ways. I am not denying that it may have been forced out by pushy newspapers, but it isn't the only possibility.

JP twitter has been posting countless examples of mass media being shitty by harassing families for interviews and (I think?) even demanding names from funeral homes despite kyoani specifically saying not to release names. they don't get the benefit of the doubt here

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Takemoto's father told The Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper Monday that he called his son's cellphone after hearing news of the attack but couldn't reach him, and was later asked by police to help with a DNA test to identify the victims.

"I've cried and cried. I'm exhausted from crying," Takemoto's father told the paper.

So hard to read, god damn. I'm so sad.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
JP twitter has been posting countless examples of mass media being shitty by harassing families for interviews and (I think?) even demanding names from funeral homes despite kyoani specifically saying not to release names. they don't get the benefit of the doubt here
The cat is sort of out of the bag there; if ANN didn't report on it, someone else would. It's not like ANN was personally banging on the doors of people's houses asking if their loved ones died in the fire.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It was all but a certainty at this point, but hearing Takemoto passed just destroys me. Fumoffu and Hyouka are both among my favourite things in the medium. And despite the ridiculous career, the dude wasn't even 50 yet...

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
on a pure technical level, takemoto's layouts have this distinct awareness of space and three-dimensionality that no other director in the industry has. when takemoto storyboards an episode, the locations always suddenly feel...right. like you've stepped into the location yourself

unknown.png

euphocorridor.png

DrMk2ywX4AMX5Tg.png

DrMk4CSX4AA0Fel.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

GY7wtMs.jpg

his visual vocabulary is imo something that is unmatched within kyoani and maybe the industry at large too. while things like meticulous character acting were learned from kigami, the use of diverse visual styles to punctuate slice-of-life scenes is something that imo, the entire studio picked up from takemoto

and on an even broader level, as a member of the studio's board of directors, takemoto always had a big say in the kinds of stories the studio told. maid dragon, for example, maid dragon was distinctly takemoto's project, to the point where he wrote original scripts for three episodes. and those episodes more or less epitomize the stories he's best at sharing - while other directors like yamada are all about coming-of-age and change, takemoto's shows are always about finding the beauty of the status quo and opening your eyes to the magic of the world that already exists before you. you see it in maid dragon's unlikely family bonds. you see it in his opus hyouka, which can be summed up in a few words as the joy of existing.

but above all, one thing I keep coming back to wrt takemoto is that with his passing, he leaves behind a huge legacy of mentorship. he was a frequent teacher at kyoani's in-house animator school and influenced more or less everyone who's passed through the studio. his final legacy at kyoani was mentoring takuya yamamura during his debut as series director on tsurune. even when he wasn't directly involved with an episode, you could feel takemoto's style through the entire show. takemoto was inspiring the next generation until the very end and it's safe to say his influence will be felt at the studio for a long time to come. thank you takemoto

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Damn, there it is. :(

Way back during high school, I recall having seen a good chunk of Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, and it starting out with these two girls arriving at school, only for a explosion to happen there, thus introducing me to the craziness of Sousuke and Kaname kicking his ass whenever he does something stupid. My favorite part will remain the epic adventure of retrieving Kaname's notebook.

It ended up being quite a entertaining show, even though I actually didn't finish it until early last year, when I was catching up on Full Metal Panic in prep for Invisible Victory, and man was it amazing on how big of a improvement both Fumoffu and The Second Raid were compare to the original series. And there at the helm directing for both shows was Yasuhiro Takemoto, who has now left a legacy for all of the wonderful work has done.

RIP Takemoto. Both FMP shows and Dragon Maid are such great shows, and I been planning on getting to Hyouka in the near future.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw on reddit that Takemoto has been confirmed as passed away. Not sure if the news are accurate though, so maybe someone could double check

Anyway a huge loss :/ RIP

Not unexpected at this point, but such a huge loss. His work on Full Metal Panic was incredible. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was amazing. And I've heard nothing but good things for his other work that I have not seen myself.

RIP. :(

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I donated $15 through Sentai's GFM last week, but every video I see i from creators, every new update, and every post here just makes me sad. I'm gonna set aside cash and pay my respects to the lost one day. This is just too upsetting of a loss

Oct 25, 2017
I would appreciate if anyone can provide a list of websites (I hope mods don't mind that) are legal so I can donate to them in order to avoid scammers. Thanks.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This is the official gofundme by Sentai Filmworks:

They're already in touch with KyoAni reps/lawyers and getting the money transferred.

Aside from buying from the KyoAni store this is like the best route.
I think the best route is actually through rightstuf

They are taking the donations through their site and then will do a wire transfer at the end of august covering all of the fees meaning 100% of your money will get to the people who need it.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I think the best route is actually through rightstuf

They are taking the donations through their site and then will do a wire transfer at the end of august covering all of the fees meaning 100% of your money will get to the people who need it.

Do we even have a way of knowing how much money they receive? How do we know they won't keep some?

I don't know if I'd want to give my money to a small merch company based in Iowa.