• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Do we even have a way of knowing how much money they receive? How do we know they won't keep some?
I don't suppose we have an easy way to see how much money they receive.
As for how do we know they won't keep some, they are one of the most trustworthy anime stores in existence that has been around since the early days of anime and if they got caught trying to skim money from something like this it would destroy them?

If you don't want to trust them that's totally fair, but I personally have no issues trusting a company that has been one of the best for anime to get 100% of my money to the people that need it instead of giving into fear and only having like 80% of it making it there.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I don't suppose we have an easy way to see how much money they receive.
As for how do we know they won't keep some, they are one of the most trustworthy anime stores in existence that has been around since the early days of anime and if they got caught trying to skim money from something like this it would destroy them?

If you don't want to trust them that's totally fair, but I personally have no issues trusting a company that has been one of the best for anime to get 100% of my money to the people that need it instead of giving into fear and only having like 80% of it making it there.
That's fair. So I say if you want transparency go with the gofundme.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair. So I say if you want transparency go with the gofundme.
That's also fair.
I can understand wanting transparency. If i recall right the gofundme is supposed to close at the end of this month, which then that wave of money will make it over there.

At that point the rightstuf one will be open for another month so it's likely worth mentioning even if you want transparency. (so waiting to donate to that one isn't bad either since it will take longer to get over to the people who need it)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Rest in Peace to both of the named victims so far. Both of their work is beautiful and I love it. They deserved a better end.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw on reddit that Takemoto has been confirmed as passed away. Not sure if the news are accurate though, so maybe someone could double check

Anyway a huge loss :/ RIP
He worked on key animation for Tenchi Universe, my favorite continuity of the franchise, as well as for Tenchi Muyo in Love, a movie set in it that I watched more times than I could count back in my high school days. I really hoped it wouldn't be true, yet something this horrendous took him away too...

RIP to him, to Naomi Ishida, and everyone else gone because of this.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Do we even have a way of knowing how much money they receive? How do we know they won't keep some?

I don't know if I'd want to give my money to a small merch company based in Iowa.
Right Stuf is a decades-old veteran of the industry that also does video production (mostly as Nozomi Entertainment). They've been in the business longer than Sentai has and are just as trustworthy.

Oct 25, 2017

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Saw some of the names confirmed dead...good god. So much talent lost...Been so difficult reading about all this...

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how feasible a topic or project celebrating the deceased's works will be once names are fully confirmed.

It's really just horrible... it's hard to think about for any length of time

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I dunno why we have to keep reminding people that JP media and US reprinting of said media is trash but whatever, better safe than sorry

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

An unprecedented atrocity has robbed many of our friends and colleagues of their bright futures and has left many deeply injured.
News from all over the world tells us that amazingly many number of people has sent us their hearts and prayers, which are like candles in the darkness, for those of us trapped in the darkness of deepest grief.
There are many friends and colleagues who are hospitalized and suffering, fighting for their lives.
Please give us some time.
We promise that Kyoto Animation will continue to create animation that help people have dreams, hope and impress them.
Kyoto animation will continue to make its employees and staff lead happy lives, and contribute to society and local community.
I assure you that Kyoto Animation will not give up, we will not go quietly into the night...we will not vanish without a fight!

Kyoto Animation Co. CEO Hideaki Hatta

I'm fucking crying. Go you good things

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

An unprecedented atrocity has robbed many of our friends and colleagues of their bright futures and has left many deeply injured.
News from all over the world tells us that amazingly many number of people has sent us their hearts and prayers, which are like candles in the darkness, for those of us trapped in the darkness of deepest grief.
There are many friends and colleagues who are hospitalized and suffering, fighting for their lives.
Please give us some time.
We promise that Kyoto Animation will continue to create animation that help people have dreams, hope and impress them.
Kyoto animation will continue to make its employees and staff lead happy lives, and contribute to society and local community.
I assure you that Kyoto Animation will not give up, we will not go quietly into the night...we will not vanish without a fight!

Kyoto Animation Co. CEO Hideaki Hatta

giphy.gif

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
leadership in such a difficult time isn't something that can be faked. hatta has been an absolute class act through this entire ordeal and I'm so thankful kyoani has someone like him to lead them to a brighter future

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190802-00010001-kyt-soci

宇田淳一 Junichi Uda (34) - in-betweener
笠間結花 Yuka Kasama (22)
大村勇貴 Yuuki Oomura (23)
木上益治 Yoshiji Kigami (61) - studio-wide mentor, director: Munto, Baja no Studio
栗木亜美 Ami Kuriki (30) - key animator
武本康弘 Yasuhiro Takemoto (47) - director: Lucky Star, Disappearance, Hyouka, Dragon Maid
津田幸恵 Sachie Tsuda (41) - finish animation/digital painting
西屋太志 Futoshi Nishiya (37) - character designer: Free!, Hyouka, Nichijou, A Silent Voice, Liz and the Blue Bird
横田圭佑 Keisuke Yokota (34) - production manager
渡邊美希子 Mikiko Watanabe (35) - art director: Dragon Maid, Violet Evergarden, Phantom World, Amagi, Kyoukai

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

宇田淳一 Junichi Uda - in-betweener
笠間結花 Yuka Kasama
大村勇貴 Yuuki Oomura
木上益治 Yoshiji Kigami - studio-wide mentor, director: Munto, Baja no Studio
栗木亜美 Ami Kuriki - key animator
武本康弘 Yasuhiro Takemoto - director: Lucky Star, Disappearance, Hyouka, Dragon Maid
津田幸恵 Sachie Tsuda - finish animation/digital painting
西屋太志 Futoshi Nishiya - character designer: Free!, Hyouka, Nichijou, A Silent Voice, Liz and the Blue Bird
横田圭佑 Keisuke Yokota - production manager
渡邊美希子 Mikiko Watanabe - art director: Dragon Maid, Violet Evergarden, Phantom World, Amagi, Kyoukai

Ugh.. RIP.
I got a feeling all the people in 3rd floor didn't make it and most if not all the directors were probably there.

And there are 25 more names :(

I only hope the survivors and the studio will come out of this tragedy stronger.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

宇田淳一 Junichi Uda (34) - in-betweener
笠間結花 Yuka Kasama (22)
大村勇貴 Yuuki Oomura (23)
木上益治 Yoshiji Kigami (61) - studio-wide mentor, director: Munto, Baja no Studio
栗木亜美 Ami Kuriki (30) - key animator
武本康弘 Yasuhiro Takemoto (47) - director: Lucky Star, Disappearance, Hyouka, Dragon Maid
津田幸恵 Sachie Tsuda (41) - finish animation/digital painting
西屋太志 Futoshi Nishiya (37) - character designer: Free!, Hyouka, Nichijou, A Silent Voice, Liz and the Blue Bird
横田圭佑 Keisuke Yokota (34) - production manager
渡邊美希子 Mikiko Watanabe (35) - art director: Dragon Maid, Violet Evergarden, Phantom World, Amagi, Kyoukai

Such a tragedy. So much talent gone forever. :(

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is hard to read. As others have said, the names make this so much more real. Still hard to believe...