• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
What is Kyty?
Kyty is a PS4/PS5 emulator (running on Windows x64) in early stages of development

From the Readme:

Graphics for PS5 is not yet implemented

It is possible to run some simple games for PS4

There maybe graphics glitches, crashes, freezes and low FPS. It's OK for now.

Features that are not implemented:

• Audio input/output

• MP4 video

• Network

• Multi-user

kyty_ps4_emulator_configuration.jpg

Source: https://wololo.net/2022/05/23/ps4-ps5-emulator-release-kyty-0-1-0/

Jul 26, 2018
Cool shit. It won't be playable for the next 20 years, but these seed efforts are always appreciated to get the ball rolling. Hopefully, PS5/XSS/XSX hardware being more similar to PC hardware than in previous generations will make emulation somewhat easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Cool shit. It won't be playable for the next 20 years, but these seed efforts are always appreciated to get the ball rolling. Hopefully, PS5/XSS/XSX having an architecture similar to PC will make emulation somewhat easier.
RPCS3 came out first in 2012 thats 10 years from now. So it might take as long or less even depending if its crowd funded well like RPCS3 or not.

Troy

Alt-Account
Banned
May 17, 2022
Having PC parts doesn't mean they have a PC architecture.

They do, like spine the linux only ps4 emulator there doesn't seem to be a CPU emulator there, so I guess it's "just" virtualization doing most of the work.
For the newer XBOXes, PS4 and PS5 the emulators would be more like Wine/Steam Proton which translate the graphics API and syscalls to the host OS instead of something like PS3 or Nintendo emulators which have to emulate CPU instructions as well.
This is because the newer PlayStations are essentially PCs running the FreeBSD kernel with Sony's proprietary operating system on top. The future of emulation going forward is in Wine-like compatibility layers it seems.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
They do, like spine the linux only ps4 emulator there doesn't seem to be a CPU emulator there, so I guess it's "just" virtualization doing most of the work.
For the newer XBOXes, PS4 and PS5 the emulators would be more like Wine/Steam Proton which translate the graphics API and syscalls to the host OS instead of something like PS3 or Nintendo emulators which have to emulate CPU instructions as well.
This is because the newer PlayStations are essentially PCs running the FreeBSD kernel with Sony's proprietary operating system on top. The future of emulation going forward is in Wine-like compatibility layers it seems.
Makes sense why it would include PS5 if that was the case. Just having compatibility layers should also make good performance a lot easier to obtain without requiring "100x the cpu power" of the systems.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Very impressive. I wasn't expecting to see any in game stuff at this point.
Will be interesting to see this in a few years.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I am hoping this does great as I would love to see what the games are like with tweaks

Troy

Alt-Account
Banned
May 17, 2022
I recall years ago that the reason the original Xbox was hard to emulate because it was x86 based.

Original Xbox architecture is actually not the same as a PC, the CPU was X86 but a VM approach like with modern consoles was not possible for several reasons and X86 might be one of the harder architectures to write an interpreter/jit for also the GPU and other hardware was completely undocumented so this is a very different situation.

it being x86 makes it much harder lol

Nah not if you can just use virtualization for the CPU and other Hardware like in this case.

Last edited:

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Is there really a market for current gen emulators? 95% of console games are on PC. It just seems like a lot of work for very little return.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
There's another PS4 emulator in the works, with a Wine-like approach that seems to make it way way more performant:

Only Linux, and closed source tho.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Is there really a market for current gen emulators? 95% of console games are on PC. It just seems like a lot of work for very little return.
There are quite a few PlayStation exclusive games that I'm sure a lot of people would like to play on PC. Bloodborne being the biggest one obviously, but Persona 5 Royal and Spider-Man are also good. Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarök also might have some demand as we won't see a PC port for at least a year. Of course, I'm going to guess that the emulators probably won't be ready to play those more demanding games before GoWR/HFW get PC ports.

Last edited:

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
Original Xbox architecture is actually not the same as a PC, the CPU was X86 but a VM approach like with modern consoles was not possible for several reasons and X86 might be one of the harder architectures to write an interpreter/jit for also the GPU and other hardware was completely undocumented so this is was a very different situation.

Ah, thanks for the clarity.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
There's another PS4 emulator in the works, with a Wine-like approach that seems to make it way way more performant:

Only Linux, and closed source tho.

I know it's really just cutscene sequences, but seeing Hitman sequence running at 300FPS+ while the CPU is staying sub 20% is mighty impressive. Troy is right that this will really just be a compatibility layer, which means even PS5 games might possibly be playable on modest hardware? Also, might mean it shouldn't take as much work to get a large portion of the library working.

While I personally prefer just buying the games on my PS5, I find emulator tech super impressive and fun to keep track of so really interested in this.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, getting sufficient CPU<->GPU bandwidth to replicate unified memory is going to be a big challenge. But who knows, maybe PCIe5 is already enough?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I guess it's a race then - which will happen first? Bloodborne ported to PC, or Bloodborne playable via emulator on PC.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021