• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Nearly 20GB of extra data is definitely a little ridiculous for a portable platform with only 32GB of internal storage.

Hopefully this means higher quality textures or faster loading at the very least.

Nintendo really needs to support hard drives while docked and make it easy to move data between the different storage formats available.

Last edited:

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Downloading patch now. Shocked to see Rockstar didn't publish patch notes for this update. They are typically good at doing so.

Edit: Don't think it is downloading the entire thing. My download will finish soon and there is no chance my digital copy of 33GB will finish this quick.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Cool, I'm still relatively early into the game on Switch. Hopefully some details show up soon.

Mr.LightMan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is that from the retail version?

Damn it's a six gig update, went from 27.4 to33.8

Oct 25, 2017
If it's anything like all the mysteriously large updates we get on PC, it'll be language related. Though I guess LA Noire probably would have been localized to everything by now...?

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
They patched it to make your partner always get in the car on the passenger side when you want him to drive.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Nearly 20GB of extra data is definitely a little ridiculous for a portable platform with only 32GB of internal storage.

Hopefully this means higher quality textures or faster loading at the very least.

Nintendo really needs to support hard drives while docked and make it easy to move data between the different storage formats available.

IIRC it's build into the system but disabled (for now) because of the dock being required to hook up the external storage.

Hope they unlock support soon.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Phelps: Where were you last night?

Wife of deceased: Walking the dog with my friend

*Picks Bad cop*

Phelps: YOU MURDERED HIM DIDN'T YOU BITCH

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I can confirm what has not changed... the audio. Yes LA Noire, the game that had 5.1 audio on xbox 360 and ps3, still is stereo only on switch in docked mode.....

Is Virtuous games know for "buchering" audio or something?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They accidentally uploaded GTA V Switch instead of a patch for LA Noire.

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
This is weird and borderline intrusive... specially on a system with limited storage like the Switch. I just bought a 400GB sd card because of the constant fumbling with deleting and reinstalling stuff on a 128GB card, so yeah, extra 5GB on a already big game deserves and explanation.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is there a good way to keep it from patching? I'm not sacrificing the space if it doesn't really do anything. My Switch hasn't checked for the update yet since it's not on my home screen.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I've been playing through this for the first time. Was always interested in it, but never got around to it on the other platforms. On the first Vice case now. I'm really curious what this update is all about...

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh well... I meant to get back into this game... I left off in the middle but so many new games were filling up my Switch and microsd 128gb fast

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Phelps: Where were you last night?

Wife of deceased: Walking the dog with my friend

*Picks Bad cop*

Phelps: YOU MURDERED HIM DIDN'T YOU BITCH

Man indeed does go from 0 to 10 in an instant and then back down to 0. Didn't think it would be as wild as some were saying until I finally played.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
I think I figured out why the update is so big. Looking at data management on Switch, found out the update data was about 13.1GB. Then it hit me: that's pretty much the size of the mandatory install (I have digital version, btw). So it looks like the mandatory install data is basically treated as update data (which makes sense in a way since, unlike additional content data, the game simply cannot be played without it). Probably why the update is so big, must be a limitation of the whole "mandatory install" system.

Do other games with mandatory installs have such humongous updates, or is it just L.A. Noire? If not, maybe someone at Rockstar just press the wrong button or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I don't know if this patch broke the game or if it was a pre-existing glitch, but I'm stuck now in that first Vice Case

I'm in the warehouse and found the cold room, but can't do anything else. A walkthrough says there should be a ledger near the newspaper but there's nothing to be found. I can't investigate any of the ice blocks and my notebook is empty when I try to look at Clues, Locations, etc. And to top it off I'm trapped in the ghorram warehouse!!

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How "free" is LA in this game? It's not open world, is it?
Eh, I equate it to something like Mafia II. You're always in a mission/case, but you're free to mess about in the world, though there is very little to do in it. Soaking in the atmosphere listening to the radio is about all.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
How "free" is LA in this game? It's not open world, is it?
I don't think the term open world is correct here. It's the closest term though we have though. It doesn't have the hallmarks of an open world outside of landmarks and a large area to drive around. There are some locations you can enter but you can't do anything. All of the action and interaction is in the levels that get "turned on" in the world and that's gone once the level ends. As I play this game I can't help but think it could be better if the openness was removed outside the area you need to be in for a mission (main or side). Being able to drive around is boring. Usually in these games I have a lot of fun just driving around and observing the world. I love that in GTA and Sleeping Dogs. The best thing the game has in the radio dramas (anyone know if these are real or made up for the game in the style of the era?) and music. I usually get around now by telling my partner to drive to a waypoint or location.