• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's the OT for Rockstar Games' debut VR AAA title for the HTC Vive!
Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/722230/LA_Noire_The_VR_Case_Files/
Title Credit to @1-D_FE

jy0P1sw.jpg

hGONSjb.jpg

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Very well done OP, you put some real effort in here.

I can't wait to read impressions of this game, it sounds like a L.A Noire is a perfect fit for VR.

AlterOdin

Nov 6, 2017
Interested on how the game's mo-cap (ie low-poly head with fmw, or whatever it is) will look/feel in VR.

SirChop

Oct 31, 2017
As a person that hasn't played the original L.A. Noire, I find it interesting that the wording all over says "7 cases specifically remade for VR." Are the 7 cases basically the full core story of L.A. Noire/a full narrative arc, or are they basically a "Best of" collection from L.A. Noire without necessarily being cohesive together? I can see the case names that are remade in the OP, but I don't have the context to know if they fit together.

I'm looking forward to impressions! Given the choice between playing the L.A. Noire remaster, or the VR version, I think I'd be fine with the VR version alone as long as it has the core beginning to end.

Dash

Oct 25, 2017
Really interested to seeing how the mo-cap/facial technology fares in VR at 60 frames if it was recorded at 30.

Since I tried the NY Times 15 minute Noir VR anthology, I've wanted LA Noire in VR. Just a shame the base PS4 presumably doesn't have the grunt to run it. : (

Oct 25, 2017
So Cole Phelps is officially a smoker , I was wondering why he didn't smoke once in the entire game while the whole departments were

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Really interested to seeing how the mo-cap/facial technology fares in VR at 60 frames if it was recorded at 30.

*90 frames.

It's possible that they just duplicate the frames of the faces specifically—I don't think that would look too weird overall. Kind of like how sprites are usually animated at a far lower framerate than what the game actually runs

I guess they could also use some kind of interpolation though, since it's all pre-rendered.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a person that hasn't played the original L.A. Noire, I find it interesting that the wording all over says "7 cases specifically remade for VR." Are the 7 cases basically the full core story of L.A. Noire/a full narrative arc, or are they basically a "Best of" collection from L.A. Noire without necessarily being cohesive together? I can see the case names that are remade in the OP, but I don't have the context to know if they fit together.

I'm looking forward to impressions! Given the choice between playing the L.A. Noire remaster, or the VR version, I think I'd be fine with the VR version alone as long as it has the core beginning to end.

Its a hub system in the form of Phelp's office as the hub. So its a best of collection. You'll be selecting the cases from his office, if i am not wrong

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Holy jeez, $30, and no discount for owners of the original game? That seems a little high to me for what's a repurposed and chopped up version of a game from 2011.

I'm interested in it, but I'll have to wait for impressions. That price tag's about $10-$15 higher than what I expected.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I might grab this. I played all of FO4 and the expansions 100+ hours so the VR version holds little interest to me, but I never got past 2 hours or so of play time in LA Noire back in the day. Hope it controls well with the Touch controls.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Notice: this game seems to be region locked and not available for purchase in Asia. Did anyone pre-purchase (successfully) in Europe?

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are actually a lot of top tier AAA VR titles not on the PSVR, nothing weird about it.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently the region lock was just the mistake, and everyone can purchase the title on Steam now. releasing 13 hours from now!

Roz

Nov 10, 2017
Oh dear.
https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015827848

Question: What are the system requirements for L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files?

Answer: Below are the current system requirements and general notes.

Please note, L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files on HTC Vive has been created specifically to be experienced on the HTC Vive platform. Players attempting to run the game on alternate hardware may experience performance issues.

Minimum Specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 3.60 GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 11 compatible
HDD: 18 GB

Recommended Specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 11 compatible
HDD: 18 GB

Due to current performance issues with AMD hardware, only specific combinations of AMD and NVIDIA/Intel Hardware will allow the game to play as intended:
  • If using an AMD Ryzen 7 CPU, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (or above) graphics card is required to play
  • If using an AMD Vega 56 graphics card, an Intel i7 6700 (or above) CPU is required to play
  • Attempting to use an AMD CPU and GPU together to play the game is not supported at this time
L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files only supports a single graphics card architecture; NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFire features are not supported.

Over time programming changes will change the system requirements for this game. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer and www.rockstargames.com/support for current compatibility information. Some system components such as mobile chipsets, integrated, and AGP graphics cards may be incompatible. Unlisted specifications may not be supported by publisher.

Other requirements: Installation and play requires log-in to Rockstar Games Social Club (varies 13+) network; internet connection required for activation and periodic entitlement verification; software installations required including Rockstar Games Social Club platform, DirectX 9, DirectX June 2010 Redistributable Package, Chromium, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 and 2015 Redistributable Packages, and authentication software that recognizes certain hardware attributes for entitlement, digital rights management, system, and other support purposes.

Single use serial code registration via internet required; registration is limited to one Rockstar Games Social Club account (varies 13+) per serial code; only one PC log-in allowed per Social Club account at any time; serial code(s) are non-transferable once used; Social Club accounts are non-transferable.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those requirements… Gonna be some bitter people. Can't wait to hear feedback from those who do pick it up. This game is the one I'm most interested in and the previews sounded excellent.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
What does this mean if you have a Ryzen CPU, will it perform much worse than Intel? I have a Ryzen 1700x and a 1080 Ti so I at least pass the minimum specs...

Roz

Nov 10, 2017
No idea. It doesn't exactly give me a lot of confidence that this is going to run well though. I can remember the original PC version wasn't a great port either. We will find out in less than an hour

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have any impressions on how this controls??? I've been super hyped for this game
They merged 3 types of controls into 1 so there's really no need to switch them in the menu or something. You can walk/run smoothly, but you can also highlight at certain key spots and press trackpad to have your character run to it.

Also, I am thoroughly impressed by the remake. Its not just a lazy port. They modified some parts of the scenes, such as the beginning car driving part of Upon Reflection.
Here's a comparison of the pancake version and the VR version of a cutscene when you arrive at the scene.
OyZWop.gif
YvMjBK.gif

Here's the fist fight part. As you can see I can punch his crotch and slap him, bend backward to dodge his punch in VR. That will have been impossible in the normal game
JqPORo.gif
0V95mv.gif

Here's the scene leading to the fist fight (on the VR side I uses the teleport run, hence its 3rd person view). There's no clothesline in the VR version for obvious reason, and you can see the length they went to remake the scene
rRYPn6.gif
yrmZxW.gif

Here's the gun fight comparison. I get to manually reload my shotgun and pump it too
869pDl.gif
ZVWk9v.gif

Everything is as expected in VR. I can grab the torch from my chest to shine around, switch it on/off, arm swing to walk (smooth locomotion), pick up item
kZoGWx.gif

I have my whole body too, no floating arms and stuffs. The arms, body, legs.
329kqn.gif

I can remove my cap and toss it too
vojWBg.gif

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. So between this thread and the Steam reviews this game went from a 'might consider it on sale' to a 'must purchase ASAP'. Great showing Rockstar.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
For those with an Oculus Rift headset, a fix is available. Anyone have instructions on the best method to remap controls for the Touch? And before I purchase, anyone have any luck running it with good frame rates on a Ryzen processor?

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished one of the first full detective missions (first time I actually found a murderer). It transported me back to the office and now I have every single case file available it seems? Like... 5 more cases I haven't even started showed up after beating this one. Is that normal or a glitch?

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy those minimum specs and the AMD notes...
Anybody in here who tried the game with an R9 390?

I've seen mentions on reddit that I would be fine with my i5 6600k. I've also seen people reporting that performance on a 970 is decent with a couple of settings turned down a notch. Though with Rockstar only mentioning the Vega cards, I'm hesitating to pull the trigger.

I really have to get myself a new GPU next year I guess

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like this is the best. Not only is the dancing hilarious, but when he turns and you see the face on the cop behind you, it's perfection.

Mathezar

Oct 27, 2017
Man, all these unintentional situations are hilarious, I am literally laughing out loud at some of these!

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Definately adding this to my buy list, won't be able to get it yet simply because I've spent too much already and want to save up a bit but I'm really glad this seems to be getting a lot of good impressions and these vids are great XD

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
All these new games are getting me excited for the future of vr. Imagine we get another GTA V for next gen consoles but with vr- GTA Vr (since there is a first person mode)

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
All these new games are getting me excited for the future of vr. Imagine we get another GTA V for next gen consoles but with vr- GTA Vr (since there is a first person mode)
I feel like this game is a test for them to see if gta is viable considering this has alot of the gta elements in place.

Toreal

Nov 5, 2017
Is it possible to tweak this game to get acceptable performance on the Oculus? It looks like a good and fun Vr port, but with the launch feedback from rift users, I still haven't bought it.