• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I play SC from time to time when they have free trials. Right now they have one lasting until Sept 23rd with multiple ships unlocked.

robertsspaceindustries.com

Ship Showdown 2950 - Free Fly - Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42

Roberts Space Industries is the official go-to website for all news about Star Citizen and Squadron 42. It also hosts the online store for game items and merch, as well as all the community tools used by our fans.

The last time I played was about 8-12 months ago. It was when they had 4 locations - the first one a deceptive planet area with lots of shops and computer consoles, but when you went to actually try and find your ship you realise that's a different scenario. The 2nd one is the main MMO scenario where you start on a space station with lots of landing pads and some empty planets where you can test the interstellar and planetary re-entry movement mechanics. Then there's the Star Marine team vs team zero-G FPS combat, and the Arena which is your best bet for actual ship combat in this space game.

In the current build they've integrated the 3D cities we saw in past demos with the elaborate subway systems, as well as a quest system and a bunch of other stuff I didn't get to touch on.

As with older versions you spawn lying down on a bed with the camera in an awkward position and are prompted to press 'Y' to stand up. It's reminiscent of this old clunky space game I used to play called Parkan II. The game still has that UE3-style streaming issue where every texture is at its lowest LOD and streams in one by one (I have a VR-ready desktop for reference). This first time I miss the exit sign and take some stairs down a floor, as the view out the window shows me high up and that's cued my mind to think down = where the map hub will be. A helpful pop-up tells me I can do a stealth melee kill using the middle mouse button. I manage to correct my error and find an elevator.

Now, with a simulation-level or game or any game with complex systems (Falcon BMS, Arma, etc) it's accepted that there's going to be a learning curve just getting to grips with whatever form their required interaction system takes. In this case you have to hold down 'F' to make holographic menus appear over control surfaces and use mouse click, as well as an elaborate character menu system called Mobiglass, and currently there is no tutorial.

Activating the elevator's menu I see a list of floor numbers and a ground floor. I've no idea what sort of building this is. If there was a landing pad, I'd expect a roof option, so I take a stab at the ground floor. This deposits me in a hub area reminiscent of the previous build's planetside shopping mall. There are a whole bunch of interactive kiosks but they all seem to be QoL time-savers for established players so I end up skipping them. Outside there's a big public display broadcasting low-res graph tracks of the current temperature, pressure, and air quality that I have a sneaking suspicion is needlessly real-time. Still no idea where or who I am I see a sign for the metro line to the Spaceport, even though for all I know maybe you have to buy ships from a dealer and transfer them from your garage to the spaceport in order to fly them. Following the signs I go through a security gate, down some stairs and to the platform to wait for a subway. It arrives, mind the gap announcements play, and a countdown reminds passengers how long they have left until the doors closed. This whole sequence triggers a bunch of associative memories of my morning commute (in a positive way). The subway departs, travelling through a sequence of lit external areas and unlit sidings before transitioning to an open-air track that mimics exactly the sort of journey I see in real life. I look at the 3D cityscape out the window, mentally holding onto the interior subway car pole before I arrive at the spaceport.

Again, I've no idea where I am, so I find a "You are here" map and find the spaceport entrance. There are a row of kiosks with marked out queuing and standing areas like banks of ATMs. I activate the menu and it shows me a list of about 15 ships I apparently own. There are no images and the descriptions don't extend to more than 2 words, so I pick "stealth bomber". The kiosk tells me it's at Hangar 9 and thanks me for my custom. Following more signs to the elevators I hit number 9 and exit onto the platform where my ship is.

It's for this period that I can see "the vision". I know dev work has been weighted in favour of the introductory areas and systems and that it's blind luck I haven't butted up against any walls but this must be the version of Star Citizen that's in Chris Roberts' head. Organically exploring this fully-realised lived-in universe with seamless interaction.

The stealth bomber is pretty as hell and it's at this point I run into something that's going to be an issue for every single ship I try: finding the door. This consists of holding down 'F' and running the mouse over every likely surface in hopes of an option popping up. I start up the power and engines and lift-off. My next problem is finding the exit. The hangar is completely enclosed. One wall is marked with red lights and one with green so I try inching towards the green but it seems like they might be a port/starboard signifier. One of the walls bows out a bit like a hatch but I don't see any tracks or servos that indicate it can move. I alt-tab out and google a solution. Apparently it's F11 (Communications) -> Friends channel (I don't have any users added as friends) -> Air Traffic Control (but clicking them won't do anything, despite the fact a button highlight activates, you have to click a small square inside the bottom-right of the button instead) and they give me clearance to leave and open the roof. In this time I have clipped one of the walls with a wing and broken it off.

No matter. I'm outside getting to grips with the flight model. Looking at myself in the external view I suddenly seem to bounce off an invisible cushioned wall. The HUD is only visible in first person mode and it's telling me autopilot has been overridden because I'm straying too far from my regulated zone. Looking round there are a bunch of holographic gates highlighting my orbital egress route. I finally get the ship under control and point it in the right direction.

I feel the need to point out just how fucking gorgeous these ships are. Any one of them would serve as the hero ship you'd build an entire campaign around.
ezgif-com-optimize-1.gif

It's hard to see all of them in that gif, but those are RCS thrusters using what I'm fairly certain is a genuine A* algorithm to find the objectively accurate position they should face and level of thrust to output, even though they're irregularly sized and shaped to preserve the silhouette of the hull.

I figure I should try and find something to do and I remember seeing the Contracts menu when I was cycling through Mobiglass, so I choose an "Investigation" mission for some mystery and adventure and the objective marker changes to "Go to Hurston Cave".

Attempt 1

The Hurston Cave waypoint is 300km away on the same planet and I'm stuck at 150m/s, meaning it'll be half an hour to reach it. There's an option to power up my jump drive but I'm unsure how to use it. I alt-tab out and google some answers. Apparently there should be a bunch of sub-orbital green waypoints I can lock onto to quickly jump round the planet, buuuuuuuuuuuut I'm not finding any. The navigation section of the Mobiglass menu is also empty. In the end I pick what looks like the closet waypoint half a million klicks away and jump to there. I then 180 and try to lock onto the somewhere anywhere near the caves. Still nothing. I manage to find a reasonable waypoint but it deposits me 200km away. I get frustrated, pick a bounty hunter mission that has a waypoint in space. I jump to it and find an asteroid field. Finally coming to 0m distance from the waypoint, nothing happens. I quit the game.

Attempt 2

I try again. This time it's night. I pick the same mission, exit my apartment building, go through the security gate, down the stairs, hop on the subway, up the stairs to that station's security gate, go to the spaceport, and this time choose a dropship that looks like the one from Aliens, complete with Vietnam-style open-air side gunner positions.

1ae23bcb36ce4b3d4e7501886ba2c9fc.jpg

I know how to exit properly and enter orbit. This time the game allows me to lock onto the Hudson Caves waypoint. I'm only 20 klicks away, but it's pitch black and I can't seem to find a button for night vision. I do manage to turn on the exterior floodlights which is... no help at all. Despite all the hills in the area, I manage to wedge my ship between some rocks and open the main hatch. I step out onto the ground and immediately fall through the planet. As I look up I can see the interior of the cave I was trying to reach. I die.

Attempt 3

I select the mission, leave my apartment, go through the security gate, down the stairs, wait for a train, and my character ragdolls on the floor dead, killed by brushing up against the subway doors as they opened.

Something that's been slightly marring my immersion that I haven't mentioned til now is that seating is broken for all NPCs. Every single one of them stands on their chair and they are everywhere.
ddd.png

"Oh Captain, my Captain"

Attempt 4

So when I fell through the planet I saw the cave had an interior and I figured I should probably buy a gun in case the quest spawns some enemies inside. It's this attempt I decide to explore the hub instead of following the same route. I can see a bar and a hospital nearby but they're not what I'm looking for. I'm not sure where the gun shop is in this build, so I take the other subway train to the shopping area. It's very big and elaborately decorated, but I'm not finding anything. All I can find is a shop displaying scale models of ship railguns. I look in vain for any signposts but all I can see is elaborately detailed in-universe advertisements. Looking around shows me more detail speaking of an elaborately wealthy upper-class but nothing to actually interact with. These platform hubs are about the size of a Deus Ex Human Revolution hub but with about 2-3 things to interact with. I hop on a random train a second before it departs (during play I would enter a station 3 times to just see a train departing and have to wait. It triggered the same wave of dismay I feel on my real-life commute) and by luck it's going direct to the Spaceport. I also take my time to wonder around here. I wind up in customs but have no idea what the hell it's for. I eventually end up at a spaceship dealership where two separate NPCs spout the same line of dialogue at me. Behind them is a doorway with no door that leads to the inside of the planet. I turn around and go back to the hangar.

I pick out an Aegis Hammerhead, my first capital ship.

hammerhead.jpg

This thing is big, bigger than Mass Effect 2's Normandy. I'm unable to find a door and end up alt-tabbing out to search how to get on board. I find an exterior elevator and try to find the bridge. I spend a good 5 minutes traversing the decks, finding conference rooms and offices, but no bridge. I end up watching a youtube video that explains the layout. I get in the pilot's chair, boot up the engines and take us out, but something's wrong. I can't maintain the egress angle. At the last holographic gate for leaving restricted space my velocity reaches zero. I 've got the speed limiter set to max, dumped all power into the engines, and hitting full afterburners and I'm still slowing down. In fact I'm going in reverse, sliding back towards the hangar. Autopilot is overridden to return me to regulated space, but the AI can't get enough speed either and it won't give me ship control until I'm in its designated safe zone. It rams a skyscraper and I explode.

Attempt 5

Ok, out my apartment, down the subway, to the spaceport, yadda yadda yadda. This time I pick a ship that looks like the Nostromo.

BB15y8Ny.img

It's gigantic. 4 decks and it's bigger than Star Trek's Defiant class. This time I manage to find an elevator entrance without much trouble. Except it breaks. The hull opens, but the elevator doesn't move. I wait and it eventually teleports to the ground. I get on and press the button and I clip through the bottom and remain in the hangar.

I just want to say that elevators are a fucking bane in this game, and they are used everywhere. In the spaceport there are banks of 6 elevators like you see at major hotel locations, except each elevator seems to have an individual call button rather than a linked one, so you don't know if you should press them all or just one. And there's no feedback when you call an elevator. No ding or floor number or any cue like the subway gives you. You go down in an elevator and character starts falling a foot at a time. You go up and your legs get compressed into a crouch as if you're pulling 5Gs.

Even following the interior signs for the Bridge, I spend another 5 minutes going in circles until I climb the ladder up to a deck to take an internal elevator down to a subdeck containing the cockpit. I call ATC and leave. Problem: I am topping out at 15m/s. It's not even fast enough to counter the ship's inertia, let alone reach the orbital egress route. I turn off VTOL mode and hit full afterburners. Big mistake: I immediately sink like a rock, wedge myself between 2 buildings and tear off a thruster pack. The AI says I'm out of bounds and tries to take over, but it can't even get me off the ground.

Attempt 6

No bullshit this time, I'm going to pick out the stealth bomber again. It's small, it's fast, I already know how to fly it. I file an insurance claim and even pay for expedited delivery back to me. Apt -> subway -> spaceport -> hangar. I successfully leave the area. However, whilst recording that gif up top in 3rd person view I must have accidentally hit a key because back in first person view my HUD will only show a scanner page. I can't get it to exit and return me to pilot control. I press every single key on the keyboard one-by-one. I bring up the cockpit's 'F' menu and click every option. I mash the keys and somehow it returns me to the pilot control view. Only the ship won't respond. I can roll and move forwards and backwards, but I can't pitch or yaw, even though the direction pipper is responding. I try my key pressing method again but no dice. I decide to re-enter the planet's atmosphere hoping some autopilot feature will level me out when I get too low to the ground and give me back yaw and pitch control. I crash into an ocean and the ship floods. The game informs me I have reached "optimal hydration level".

Attempt 7

I'm really going to do it this time. Don't have time to wait for them to ship me back my crashed stealth bomber so I pick out something described as a "medium fighter". I enter orbit, but it's not letting me lock on to the Hurston Cave waypoint. Pulling up the Contracts menu, I abandon the mission and then re-sub to it. The waypoint reinitialises and this time I can lock onto it. It's daylight and I manage to land right outside the cave entrance in a nice flat area. I blow the hatch and step out and don't fall through the planet. I run towards the cave entrance and get stopped dead by an invisible wall. It's completely impassable. I trace the wall round the edges of the cave area. I jump, crouch, swan-dive but am unable to pass it. I make the mistake of trying to jump up on a nearby rock formation and clip through it, getting permanently stuck.

ezgif-com-optimize.gif

This is the last thing I see (no movement keys are being pressed). I quit the game.

So yeah, that was my experience with Star Citizen. Playing it you can really see the issues resulting from its development process. Completely disproportionate level of resources allocated to some areas. Imagine if you picked 2 or 3 routine aspects of a game and sank an entire project's development budget into bringing them to fruition. I can see how such a thing could swallow SC's budget and manpower. And those ships. I could make an entire game just with the existing features of the dropship in Attempt 2. They know what lays the golden egg.

There's still so much work to be done. I still remember the original 3.0.0 promise of 100 planets. Lots of sound foley missing. Glitches with the menus. The flight model has this weird tick where past a certain point yaw translates into roll. I can see how the envisioned product could be something that has the finesse and scope of Elite Dangerous combined with the content density of Skyrim. Overall I'd say it felt like a project that was half way through development. So should be about another 6-8 years.

Something else I should mention, during all my attempts, I never once encountered another player.

Last edited:

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Completely disproportionate level of resources allocated to some areas.

Pretty much, yeah. I understand why people think they want all the walking-on-stations faff, but for a game about space ships to spend so much time and resources only to force you to fuck around in a sci fi shopping mall riding sci fi trams for 20 minutes to get the space ship part is fucking silly.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Pretty much, yeah. I understand why people think they want all the walking-on-stations faff, but for a game about space ships to spend so much time and resources only to force you to fuck around in a sci fi shopping mall riding sci fi trams for 20 minutes to get the space ship part is fucking silly.

They made the stuff you press B to skip into the bulk of the game.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Wow incredible read thanks OP.
Honestly the way you describe it, I would not be able to do this whole ordeal of waking up and getting to your shop/finding bridge/trying to leave the planet. It sounds super complicated and dull.

The part where you said all the NPCs stand on their chairs, along with the pic of it, really encapsulates my feeling about this overall.
8 years later and NPCs can't fucking sit on chairs.

At the complexity you described, I don't see how a finished game will ever come of this. And I'm not sure how many people will want togo through all the mundane stuff you described, just to get somewhere.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
... So yeah, that was my experience with Star Citizen. Playing it you can really see the issues resulting from its development process. Completely disproportionate level of resources allocated to some areas. Imagine if you picked 2 or 3 routine aspects of a game and sank an entire project's development budget into bringing them to fruition. I can see how such a thing could swallow SC's budget and manpower. And those ships. I could make an entire game just with the existing features of the dropship in Attempt 2. They know what lays the golden egg.

There's still so much work to be done. I still remember the original 3.0.0 promise of 100 planets. Lots of sound foley missing. Glitches with the menus. The flight model has this weird tick where past a certain point yaw translates into roll. I can see how the envisioned product could be something that has the finesse and scope of Elite Dangerous combined with the content density of Skyrim. Overall I'd say it felt like a project that was half way through development. So should be about another 6-8 years.

Something else I should mention, during all my attempts, I never once encountered another player.

thanks, op, for as entertaining a post as i've read up here in some time. extremely well done!...

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Reading the beginning section sounded really cool way to get you kind of immersed into the world. But i feel like by the 3rd or 4th time it would be exhausting and much less enjoyable. Which definitely sounds like it was lol.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
That sounds about right for my experiences with the Star Citizen free weekends. I manage to cram myself into a ship, I go take a look at any cool new planets and then...just can't find anything relevant to do to keep me playing.

I have said it in other threads but to me it's an incredibly mismanaged project. To me they could have built a helluva lot of gameplay around the system you start in and make it feel like humanity is expanding to space by adding to it gradually. But the basic gameplay loops are barely there. It's almost like the only ones who did a lot of work during all these years were the graphics programmers and 3D artists. Unless all gameplay effort has been put to Squadron 42, I just don't see why anyone would keep spending money on Star Citizen.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I though NPCs do a T-pose while on chairs. I was lied to.

I actually tuned this game out for a, well, few years, and reading impressions ever since the whole roadmap hiccup I'm absolutely baffled what kind of, let's just say experience it has turned into.

Even if they kill the bugs and polish it up, it doesn't sound like something I would actually want to play at this point. Like I get the fantasy, but I have kinda grown out of it.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018

They want it because it is pretty cool to see the world as it would be if you were actually there. But there should be alternative ways to get around after you do all that once or twice. Because that does get tedious.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
BTW the OP post both SOLD me on the game and also made me think they may never ship the game all at the same time.

xii_7

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
And this is why I don't play Star Citizen.....yet.

(I must say though I'm surprised that you never encountered another player. I always run in to people when I check out a new patch)

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Lol great write-up. Kinda want to try it myself now

I must say it sounds intriguing to have all this mundane commuting and walking around the stations thing. When everything seems to be its own physical thing instead of a bunch of abstractions and menus linked by teleports. But it would certainly help if the actual flying and exploring part, you know, the actual meat of the game, didn't seem to break so often?

This is such a bizarre project.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This was great, thanks for writing this sisyphean journey up for our enjoyment.

I already knew this, but this shows that Star Citizen isn't a scam, because way too much work has gone into the game for it to be anything other than a genuine attempt to make a game. It's just that something in the top levels of project management has gone horribly, horribly wrong, and the result is an unevenly distributed experience where some of it looks and sounds awesome (I didn't know about most of those ships and each one is a TRIP) and some of it is like someone dropped in some placeholder code seven years ago and no one's bothered to look at it since.

I appreciate what seems to be a genuine attempt to engage with the game on its own terms, it's a refreshing viewpoint after tons of threads of just "Star Citizen is amazing and you don't even get it because you're STUPID" versus "Star Citizen is a scam and Chris Roberts should be in jail."

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
Great summary OP, pretty much exactly my experiences too (although mine were from a few years ago). Amazing that hardly anything has changed gameplay wise.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Well done for writing that up. It was very entertaining and, sadly, affirming.

The parts where you can see the vision shining through - I don't doubt those parts are there and that they would floor me if experienced first-hand. Even the routine stuff, and the bumbling around searching for hatches, or learning the layout of your new ship; that stuff all fascinates me and I would drink it in like a fine wine.

But it's all the other niggles and unfulfilled potential that are just too much to ignore. I want to one day play and love Star Citizen - I want to learn how to live in its incredible world and push its sandbox to the limit. But right now the game at the heart of all those systems seems to have the integrity of a wet paper towel.

People bash Elite Dangerous for being "a mile wide and an inch deep," but at least the game world is stable and consistent; it knows its own identity and it doesn't make any overblown promises to the player. And when you do come across the deep parts of the puddle, it can be really amazing and intrinsically rewarding. I hope SC can one day turn it around and the game can catch up with its scope.

And this is perhaps the most disappointing thing of all.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I am kinda surprised my brother hasn't asked me to jump on the game with him recently. He bought me a cheap ship bundle as an xmas present
like 5 years ago and we have tried to play the game together on occasion. However, it has never really worked out and eventually we give up and switch to a different game.

He goes through phases where he raves about the newest updates but also has phases where he believes the game is a high rip-off.

I have stated this before, but the game was just too over-ambitious and too set on delivering absolutely everything all at once.
They really should have compromised where necessary and went with a more modular development model that could be upgraded/expanded incrementally.

Nov 3, 2017
Thank you for the long article, OP, it was a joy to read (even if, I guess, it wasn´t a joy to write).

Star Citizen always reminds me of the manual that came with the original Elite game for Amiga. It described a tour of your ship in detail. I would have LOVED back then to be able to walk through my ship, walk through the spaceports. But - and my young self wouldn´t have understood this - only if the core gameplay was tight and the gameplay loop rich and satisfying.

The more you learn, eh?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, starting the game "blind" would render most players mad. Especially since the last patch was quite... Broken... To say the least. There was a tutorial at some point but with the gameplay changing so often, the tuto would need to be changed each time as well. So it seem normal that they canned it until the gameplay is a bit more locked down.

As for the commute stuff, it's long and boring for veterans as well. Luckily, there is orbital stations you can base yourself in that simplify the "waking up -> spawn ship -> take off" a lot. So we usually only go in the cities for specific occasions, like buying stuff or picking up special missions. Most of the time, we stay in space stations. That is most likely why you never met anyone. Especially since Lorville (the city you where in) is probably the worst of the 3 cities to travel to/from. And there isn't floating names above players you are not grouped with, so you might have passed by a player without realizing it.

I would always recommend players to experience the game first with the help of experienced players for now. Or at least after having watched someone playing the game a bit, say on youtube or twitch.

I understand why CIG is doing free fly events but i'm not sure they realise how obtuse it can be for brand new players.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I wonder how it would be recieved if they dropped all new stuff for now and just went 3 months+ polish and make the game unbreakable*, I honestly believe they would come a long way with that in the public eye.

I still believe and hope this game will become what they promised but they need to get better image.

* everything can be broken, just not this broken.