• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
3fYTCsh.jpg

(I was back and forth on calling this an OT since the show has been out since December 25, but I might as well since there isn't any official topic for it.)

So, this show is pretty fantastic.

The premise:

Eight thieves take hostages and lock themselves in the Royal Mint of Spain as a criminal mastermind manipulates the police to carry out his plan.

From there you get a series of layered situations and clever twists and turns while multiple characters interact and develop, each interesting in their own ways. You keep guessing how the hell the script will keep it going for so long, but things continue to escalate and change in surprising ways. The build up to several moments is amazing, and each setup gets a satisfying conclusion.

The Death Note thing is in part to get eyes on the thread, but the comparison it is apt because La Casa de Papel does scratch that same itch of intelligent characters caught in a damn good and suspenseful game of cat and mouse. I don't want to give away too much, but there's a particular relationship that develops in the show between two characters where you can't help but think of DN while watching.

I watched the whole show this weekend I was blown away. So much fun! And I'm addicted to the opening now, can't stop listening to it. The show was hit in Brazil this year, with people dressing in the uniform of the thieves for Carnaval.

Some other info:

• Is the English dub good?

No idea, I watched it in Spanish with Brazilian Portuguese subtitles. I only mention this here because in the Dark OT a lot of people asked about the English dub and they apparently aren't good in that one. I suggest watching in Spanish if you aren't averse to subs.

• Spoiler rules?

The show has been out for a while, but I ask for discretion with spoilers and for people to use the tag for major stuff. It seems to have flown under Era's radar and we may have people who are discovering it through this thread.

• When is the second season coming?

So yeah, the second season already exists! La Casa de Papel aired fully in Spain last year. Netflix's version of the second season is going to be released on April 6 .

• What do you mean by "Netflix's version"?

Netflix bought the international streaming rights and actually re-cut the show: there's no missing content, but what was originally a show with a single season of 15 episodes (divided in two parts) with 70 minutes each became a two-season show with episodes that range from 44 to 50 minutes. The first season on Netflix is 13 episodes, but I haven't done the math to know how many the second one will have.

What this means is that episode 14 and 15 are not missing. I've seen people confused when they look at the original episode listing online.

This thread is for the Netflix version of the show, so PLEASE, NO SPOILERS FOR THE CONTENT OF THE SECOND SEASON IN THIS THREAD.

Some pics:

5bBrhws.png

iJaYEvy.jpg

pyppuEX.jpg

Swi00M6.jpg

Last edited:

tuta

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad my wife has forced me to watch this show.
Although some parts are (really) stupid, we couldn't stop watching it over the weekend.
It was quite entertaining and worth binge watching .
Can't wait for the next episodes.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I watched 3 or 4 episodes and I reeeally disliked how a lot of what happens seems to be due to the characters acting like fucking idiots so I ended up dropping it. I guess I get it, just didn't like it. I might finish it at some point, though.

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
  • When is the second season coming?

So yeah, the second season already exists! La Casa de Papel aired fully in Spain last year. Netflix's version of the second season is going to be released on April 6 .

• What do you mean by "Netflix's version"?

Netflix bought the international streaming rights and actually re-cut the show: there's no missing content, but what was originally a show with a single season of 15 episodes (divided in two parts) with 70 minutes each became a two-season show with episodes that range from 44 to 50 minutes. The first season on Netflix is 13 episodes, but I haven't done the math don't know how many the second one will have.

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK!!? And I was cursing Netflix because apparently it missed 2 chapters. I'm so happy now that I know it's going to be a longer series.

OP
OP

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
WHAT THE FLYING FUCK!!? And I was cursing Netflix because apparently it missed 2 chapters. I'm so happy now that I know it's going to be a longer series.
Yeah, I wish they dropped the whole thing at once, but I understand why they reformatted the show to better fit what people are used to on the service.

I read that they released both seasons at once in Spain, makes sense since the show already aired there.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Saw it earlier this year. I listed it in my Top 10 of 2017.

Loved it.

Glad to hear that I won't have to wait too long for the rest of the episodes. I've been resisting of finding other means to watch it.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, I wish they dropped the whole thing at once, but I understand why they reformatted the show to better fit what people are used to on the service.

I read that they released both seasons at once in Spain, makes sense since the show already aired there.

Shows in Spain tend to be extremely long, with HUGE commercial pauses and start way too fucking late. Like a single episode starts at 22:30 and won't end until 00:15 after four or five 7 minute commercial breaks.

So it is probably good Netflix did a recut of it.

OP
OP

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I got two other friends into it and they also loved it, and there's another one who's interested too. We're planning a get together to watch the second season when it airs, it's gonna be fun.
Shows in Spain tend to be extremely long, with HUGE commercial pauses and start way too fucking late. Like a single episode starts at 22:30 and won't end until 00:15 after four or five 7 minute commercial breaks.

Jesus, lol. Sounds kind of like the telenovelas in Brazil, but even longer.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There are some really good actors in this, with Nairobi being my favourite so far.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
So when it became available, I read the description and added it immediately since I'm a sucker for heist movies/shows. Got through it within a week and found it as super creative and drew me in with the character interactions. Sometime I wanted to yell at the screen, other times I laughed at how clever some of the shit was in amazement.

bubaglobalj

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to seen an OT for this. Really enjoyed the show. I decided to wait until Netflix releases the 2nd part of the first season, although I was quite tempted to bootleg the rest of it.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Can´t watch anything with spanish accent, i´m sorry, sounds so fake, maybe if Santiago Segura was in there for the laughs? Torrente was great,

OP
OP

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Second season is up on Netflix!

Watched S02E01 with a friend and we'll continue tomorrow. Can't wait!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The show is so freaking stupid - but i enjoyed the ending and liked the Professors arc.
But yeah the behavior of the thieves in the bank was just ridiculous.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The show is extremely engaging but goddamn some stupid shit does down sometimes which makes you scratch your head.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Rio and Tokio made me salty as hell. I have nothing against pretty people doing shit, but it all felt really contrived.

I hope y'all enjoy Season II.

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god you made a thread. I almost do one a few days ago.

I must confess the trailer looks too much "Inside Man" movie, but after chapter 2 the series shines with his own bright.
Watched S1 in Netflix in spanish and S2 in TV (dubbed in english) Don't have any problems at all with the dub version.

Berlin's actor is mvp.
Tokio is hot but too crazy to my tate.
like the arc with the poilce girl, but hated the "George Lucas cop" character.
The professor is cool but liked more in S1. Sometimes he reminds me Heinsenberg.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Im still in S1 and the show is very good. I love the professor and berlin. MASTER MINDS

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Season 2 started with professor being OP as fuck as always (which I love). Now, it is very different from the original ending for those who saw it?

OP
OP

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it this weekend. Loved it soooo much, it was such a thrilling and satisfying ride. I'll miss these characters a lot, it's one of those shows where you just want to see more of them forever.

By the way, Netflix is producing a teen show called Élite with the actors of Rio, Denver and Alison. I'll def check it out too when it releases.
Season 2 started with professor being OP as fuck as always (which I love). Now, it is very different from the original ending for those who saw it?
As far as I know the content is the exact same as the original show, the episodes were just re-cut to fit a 45–50 min episode format instead of the original 70 min each.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Almost finished Season 1 and the show is riveting. I was surprised that it was able to keep the heist engaging hour after hour

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Berlin is the best character in the show, but you have to watch with the Spanish voices. He just nails the character

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin is the best character in the show, but you have to watch with the Spanish voices. He just nails the character

There is some really solid acting in the series. I've just finished episode 3 and I really like how they fleshed out the father and son duo.

I was planning to make a thread once I've finished. It's been really good so far.

To be honest, I know really few people over 13 years old that go to bed before 00.00. We just live in a different schedule compared to most other countries. It's been years since I've watched anything on TV, however, for the reasons you exposed. Too many commercial breaks.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
Show is amazing. tried to watch it dubbed in english and dont suggest it. just turn subtitles on

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix bought the international streaming rights and actually re-cut the show: there's no missing content, but what was originally a show with a single season of 15 episodes (divided in two parts) with 70 minutes each became a two-season show with episodes that range from 44 to 50 minutes. The first season on Netflix is 13 episodes, but I haven't done the math don't know how many the second one will have.

wtf is this? There's no "cut content", but the episodes have lost between 20 to 25 minutes each? What is this bullshit? So what, part of an episode is cut and pasted into the following one to stretch the show into more episodes?

If that's the case, then that is fucking horseshit and there's no way I will encourage this.

OP
OP

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
wtf is this? There's no "cut content", but the episodes have lost between 20 to 25 minutes each? What is this bullshit?
No no, all the content is there, it's just cut differently. Sorry if I didn't explain that properly.

The original show was 15 episodes of 70 minutes each. The Netflix version has 22 episodes, with episodes that range from 40–50 minutes of length. What changed is just where some episodes start and/or end. Everything is there when you watch it as a whole.

Like this:

Netflix episode 1: 47 minutes of OG episode 1.
Netflix episode 2: The last 23 minutes of OG episode 1 + the first 18 minutes of OG episode 2.
Netflix episode 3: The rest of OG episode 2.
Netflix episode 4: First 50 minutes of OG episode 3.

and so on.

Last edited:

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
wtf is this? There's no "cut content", but the episodes have lost between 20 to 25 minutes each? What is this bullshit? So what, part of an episode is cut and pasted into the following one to stretch the show into more episodes?

If that's the case, then that is fucking horseshit and there's no way I will encourage this.

The original series has 15 episodes. So they probably took the first 8 and edited it out to make 13 40 minute episodes instead of 8 70 minutes ones.

They probably used some of the cliffhangers the original series has when it cuts to commercials when they did this cut.

Netflix Spain has the original cut, so I dunno.

Oct 27, 2017
I finished watching this recently and it really had me hooked to the story and characters.
It really deserves to be watched with the original Spanish audio I agree.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wish this wasn't in Spanish from Spain, their accent sucks and makes me not able to take anything seriously. I might give it a watch anyway since it seems to be the new hot thing everyone's talking about.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The original show was 15 episodes of 70 minutes each. The Netflix version has 22 episodes, with episodes that range from 40–50 minutes of length. What changed is just where some episodes start and/or end. Everything is there when you watch it as a whole.

Like this:

Netflix episode 2: The last 23 minutes of OG episode 1 + the first 18 minutes of OG episode 2.

and so on.
But this is absolutely terrible. Netflix is ruining the artistic integrity of the show by doing this. I cannot even fathom how they came to this decision. In no way can they start doing this with other shows. It is unacceptable.

OP
OP

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
But this is absolutely terrible. Netflix is ruining the artistic integrity of the show by doing this. I cannot even fathom how they came to this decision. In no way can they start doing this with other shows. It is unacceptable.
Like RalchAC said they likely used the same cliffhangers from the original when it went into commercial breaks. I get what you mean, but this show is filled with cliffhangers left and right and there's no way to notice anything is different unless you know the original episodes are longer beforehand.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah been seeing good things too!

oFAEhs40.jpg

No no, all the content is there, it's just cut differently. Sorry if I didn't explain that properly.

Like this:

and so on.
what the fuck is this mess

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Couldn't get past the first episode even tho a lot of people have recommended it to me. I usually give shows more than a couple of episodes to decide on it but I honestly hated everything from that first episode.

OP
OP

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
what the fuck is this mess
It really isn't a big deal due to the way this show is structured. I just made note of that in the OP because I had seen people confused about the second season, but now that it's all on Netflix the re-edit isn't that relevant.