• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I spent the day in Little Tokyo and that was neat. Walked around downtown LA after that all night, now I'm just sitting by the pool at the Figueroa wondering what's next. I have a bunch of other DTLA stuff bookmarked for the next few days but this is the biggest, most shocking place I've ever been in and I don't really know where to start despite the plans.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
DTLA? Go to Won Kok and get some BBQ pork buns to go

Don't let the "B" grade in the window and the crakcheads outside deter you

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I spent the day in Little Tokyo and that was neat. Walked around downtown LA after that all night, now I'm just sitting by the pool at the Figueroa wondering what's next. I have a bunch of other DTLA stuff bookmarked for the next few days but this is the biggest, most shocking place I've ever been in and I don't really know where to start despite the plans.
Go to the Comedy Store. You might see a famous comedian trying out some skits for a comedy special or tour.
Go to Orange Country
Said no one ever.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Go get some Korean food in KTown nearby.

LA has better Korean food than Seoul. Seriously.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
My man. Hit up marugame monzo. They got handmade fresh udon that you can see them make in their clear open kitchen.

Top restaurant for me in Little Tokyo. Its literally like across the street from there too. You won't regret it. Also be early cause lines get crazy long.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/UeyQYiGu8Y

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
My man. Hit up marugame monzo. They got handmade fresh udon that you can see them make in their clear open kitchen.

Top restaurant for me in Little Tokyo. Its literally like across the street from there too. You won't regret it. Also be early cause lines get crazy long.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/UeyQYiGu8Y
This plus Tokyo Beat (in the second floor of the shopping center across from Monzo) is a fun night out if a divey, happening karaoke bar is your thing. I'm a sucker for the udon gratin at Marugame Monzo.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I've been told by natives that LA is a great place to live but not to visit. But going by the replies here, it's not a great place to live either.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely take a look at the California Science Center and the other museums near it.
Try Cole's and Phillipe's and decide which is the better French dip.
Go to the Angel's Flight railway and appreciate its absurdity.
Check out The Edison for drinks/atmosphere in the evening.

Agreed, L.A. is shit.

If LA is shit, words don't exist to describe Orange County's lack of quality.

I've been told by natives that LA is a great place to live but not to visit. But going by the replies here, it's not a great place to live either.

Orange County is not LA.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
KazuNori
The Broad
MoCA
The Love Song
The Wolves
Cole's then The Varnish behind it
King Eddy if you like dives
Wolf & Crane (Get the Tokyo Gold)
Koreatown has a lot of night life and great food too. Dan Sung Su is one of my favorite places to eat and drink in the US.
Little Tokyo has some gems too.
Angel City Brewery

Oct 27, 2017
Get the fuck out of DTLA. It's got some stuff but don't feel to need to hang around there. I don't know what your transpo situation is like but, even if you're carless, you can get by on public transport. Go to UCB Franklin, or the big comedy clubs if you're feeling touristy. I'm not big on the mallness of Santa Monica but you can take the Expo line all the way to the pacific ocean. Griffith Park if you're up for a hike. LACMA for the art. The Getty if you want art with a great view.
Downtownish, maybe check out Grand Central Market. Or Angel City Brewery for a drink.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UCB Franklin
Hike at Griffith
Last Bookstore is always good
NoMad

If you feel like seeing a show, jump on songkick. Hang out in Silver Lake and look for Father John Misty. I've seen him 2-3 times personally lol.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Your in a decent location if you're in dtla Metro can get you places. Takes you all the way to the beach. Can check out the sm pier and Venice.

Getty Center, Griffith Observatory, lacma, etc are all decent places to check out. Maybe Hollywood bowl if there are still any good summer concerts going on?

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Broad is a pretty cool museum, and admission is free!

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I'd say the complete opposite. Great to visit, lots to see and do. Bad to live in cause expensive, traffic, dirty, smog, a lot of people and so on.

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017
koreatown for sure.
The pier at Manhattan beach has a nice walking section if you want to do an alternative to the santa monica pier.
The Ghetty
Griffith park observatory
If you have enough friends try an escape room
magic castle

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'm a fan of The Fermosa Cafe for lunch/dinner, or Musso and Franks if you've got the money.

If you can, go see a movie at the Cinerama Dome and the afterwards go to Amoeba Records next door. Right now Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is playing there.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Try and go to Hollywood, check out a couple of museums if you're into that. Idk what you're into but there's a lot of cool things to see. Go to a couple of food trucks and find a good taco truck

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yo OP, I'm gonna be straight with you: as a LA native who has recently begun checking out all the sights and sounds of LA these last two years, there's many great places to explore (skimming through this thread, I wholeheartedly endorse the Museum of Jurassic Technology, the Broad, the Bowl, the Edison, Angel City Brewery, and Marugame). Typically avoid Hollywood since it's a tourist trap with overpriced stuff and shitty parking, the experience is quite hollow. But there are two places that absolutely top my list that I can't recommend enough: The Getty Museum and the Huntington Library. You could spend the entire day walking around the exterior of the Getty without ever actually seeing any of the fantastic art. The view of the city it provides as well as it's storied architecture are worth the price of admission alone.

As for my second recommendation, I know what you're thinking: "A library? How great can a library be. I don't want to spend my limited time here checking that out." Do NOT dismiss it based on its name. The name is deceptive. It's not actually a library -- it's a MASSIVE botanical garden, that's divided into different sections based on the region of plants (ex. the Japanese section has a giant sprawling garden with hills, waterfalls, stone bridges, and a bamboo forest you can venture through -- imagine this but for like 10 other unique sections.) It's honestly like a botanical Disneyland. You don't even need to like botanical gardens or plants all that much to enjoy yourself. The place is an absolute blast and you can spend the entire day here and still not see everything. It's honestly one of the best places in LA.

Last edited:

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
The Grand is a pretty cool museum, and admission is free!
I think you mean The Broad (on Grand)? But yeah the Broad is cool for modern art. Great architecture too. They also have a couple of Kusama's infinity rooms on permanent display if you want to impress you friends back home on instagram. Sucks they didn't do the summer happenings concerts this year as they were great last year.
Check out the hollywood bowl too. They have free daytime rehearsals where you can catch the LA philharmonic and get a glimpse of Dudamel's fro!

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
If you're into museums at all check out the Getty and Broad. After that, I don't know, just go chill somewhere. LA doesn't really have many sights, there's not really any big things like seeing the Statue of Liberty or Times Square or whatever. I love hanging out in Santa Monica personally. I used to live in Long Beach and there's some fun spots downtown and on 4th St but honestly nothing especially worth the drive IMO.

I'm a little surprised at all the Orange County hate, there's some beautiful beaches if you're into that at all. Huntington is fun to hang out at, and Laguna is really pretty.

This is what people are advising you to avoid, for reference.

ujvDXfe.jpg

Yo OP, I'm gonna be straight with you: as a LA native who has recently begun checking out all the sights and sounds of LA these last two years, there's many great places to explore (skimming through this thread, I wholeheartedly endorse the Museum of Jurassic Technology, the Broad, the Bowl, the Edison, Angel City Brewery, and Marugame). Typically avoid Hollywood since it's a tourist trap with overpriced stuff and shitty parking, the experience is quite hollow. But there are two places that absolutely top my list that I can't recommend enough: The Getty Museum and the Huntington Library. You could spend the entire day walking around the exterior of the Getty without ever actually seeing any of the fantastic art. The view of the city it provides as well as it's storied architecture are worth the price of admission alone.

As for my second recommendation, I know what you're thinking: "A library? How great can a library be. I don't want to spend my limited time here checking that out." Do NOT dismiss it based on its name. The name is deceptive. It's not actually a library -- it's a MASSIVE botanical garden, that's divided into different sections based on the region of plants (ex. the Japanese section has a giant sprawling garden with hills, waterfalls, stone bridges, and a bamboo forest you can venture through -- imagine this but for like 10 other unique sections.) It's honestly like a botanical Disneyland. You don't even need to like botanical gardens or plants all that much to enjoy yourself. The place is an absolute blast and you can spend the entire day here and still not see everything. It's honestly one of the best places in LA.

These are awesome suggestions! Can't believe I forgot to mention the Museum of Jurassic Technology.

Along with Hollywood I'd stay away from downtown LA. There's not much to do there anyway, but it's really easy to wander into sketchy areas if you don't know where you're going.

Feb 1, 2018
DTLA is mostly boring and smells like urine but has notable highlights like the Standard rooftop, Redbird, and MOCA Geffen.

Other ideas:
El Parian for goat stew if you're into that
Edendale for cocktails and making awkward eye contact with famous actors
il Pastaio, a beverly hills institution
Red Lion Tavern for oktoberfest vibes year round

Overpass or Tenants of the Trees if you're into cocaine

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't anything in Orange County but Disneyland, Republicans and a baseball team that wishes it was the Dodgers real bad.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't anything in Orange County but Disneyland, Republicans and a baseball team that wishes it was the Dodgers real bad.
The Bruery and Bottle Logic have some of the best beer available in the state if not the country, and unfortunately they're down near Fullerton/Anaheim. Anyone posting Angel City here is settling for mediocre beer. Mikkeler and Modern Times have taprooms in DTLA (they're both less than a five minute walk apart from each other) and they offer much better beer there.