• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I take back what I said, this game looks really good - it may be the 4K res but I'm really starting to appreciate the visuals of the game, outside of when driving around through the empty streets, everything holds up really well.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Let's hope the others actually fit on a cart. I would actually pay extra to get the entire game on a 32GB cart from Rockstar directly so it doesn't eat up space on an SD card.

Why is that if you don't mind me asking ? Surely the only negative to using memory on an SD card is that do it enough times and you may have to spend money on another SD card? If you never have to do that but pay extra for every big game I'm sure you'd end up spending way more in the long run?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Why is that if you don't mind me asking ? Surely the only negative to using memory on an SD card is that do it enough times and you may have to spend money on another SD card? If you never have to do that but pay extra for every big game I'm sure you'd end up spending way more in the long run?
Practically speaking you're absolutely right. I just don't like the precedent being established here and I'm voting with my wallet accordingly.

What's stopping companies from putting all of their physical games on the smallest capacity carts available to save money and forcing bulky 10-30GB downloads that are mandatory so they even function? You reward one game for doing that and the next thing you know they all start going that route. I don't want to start juggling SD cards in my Switch even if they're not proprietary storage like Vita memory cards.

If a game requires a 32GB cart to function and needs to charge a premium for it, that's fine by me. I'll pay the premium if the quality delivers... and I'll have the peace of mind that I can plug it into my Switch at any time and it'll work no matter what. Even 10 years from now.

If that seems puzzling, well, I'm an odd duck that thinks games should be priced more than they are and will argue in support of it. The whole "consumers will never pay more than $60 retail for a new game" mantra is nonsense to me because I've seen prices jump $20 in Canada over the past decade and people still buy them Day 1 without batting an eyelash.

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Practically speaking you're absolutely right. I just don't like the precedent being established here and I'm voting with my wallet accordingly.

Man, I was pretty bummed with the whole storage situation and was not planning to buy this game. I too was gonna vote with my wallet on this, but I just couldn't resist. The game looked amazing and I was able to grab it for 40 euros. I never had the chance to play it.

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Has anyone else tried to drive both with the Joy-Con and the Pro Controller? I find it way easier to drive with the Pro Controller, even though I suck at it anyway.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get why they changed this. Did they ever say why they changed it? Personally I felt like the old "truth" and "doubt" options were better because it better reflected your thoughts on their statements. Good Cop and Bad Cop doesn't really reflect that imo. You can still be a good cop and still think they are hiding something from you, or be a bad cop while fully believing their statement.
"Doubt" implies he's going to, well, doubt them. Instead he practically tries to rip their heads off. "Violently and aggressively accuse" more like.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
A great port is a great port. Rockstar has my money on the Switch version.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope the others actually fit on a cart. I would actually pay extra to get the entire game on a 32GB cart from Rockstar directly so it doesn't eat up space on an SD card.
Nah. That'll drive up the price on the digital version. Treat yo self to a 200gb card and chill on requesting a price increase.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
How is the game on p4 Pro? Does it really render in 4k ?
Platinumed the game on ps3 but willing to double dip for DLC

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Question about controls, Switch ver.

Going into the controls in options gives me touch/motion controls. Im playing in docked/handled and just want a primer on the standard controls without having to wait for the help text to show up. Is that not provided at all?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
[Edit: apparently this is moot now!]

New players need to remember that the 'Doubt' button was originally 'Push' and it was only changed shortly before release.

Basically you're not going to 'Doubt' the person, you're going to 'Push' them, usually aggressively, to try and get a rise out of them. Sometimes he doesn't doubt them - he pretty much insults or accuses them.

There are a handful of times in the game where this invisible, terribly (i.e. not) signposted distinction can actually ruin your whole approach on a case.

It was "Force", not "Push" lol,..

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Motion controls are a huge letdown.

The gyro sensor has drifting trouble for not only the camera, but also in brief moments of item rotation. Simply providing a button in game to activate motion control and/or recalibrate could have fixed this problem. Further more, I have yet to find even a recalibrate option in the menus.

And strangely enough, motion controls can be used for menu selection, but you have to jerk the joy-con up or down to move in the corresponding direction? Obviously that is not ideal, but sometimes if you relax your right arm while selecting menu options with your left joystick, your right joy-con will register a motion, jumping your cursor up or down a spot. This is like Wii-era bad.

Anyways, I'm enjoying playing through the game with my wife with motion controls off. It's just a bummer because I kept picturing this being the long awaited motion control sequel to Godfather Wii, and it's clearly not.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Playing LA Noire on the Switch just enforces how cool it would be to have GTA on the Switch. The few car chases and shootouts in the game remind me of how well it would work. The open world, while not as great as GTA, is still awesome. Add in a few Switch specific features like LA Noire did and it will be a hit.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Motion controls are a huge letdown.

The gyro sensor has drifting trouble for not only the camera, but also in brief moments of item rotation. Simply providing a button in game to activate motion control and/or recalibrate could have fixed this problem. Further more, I have yet to find even a recalibrate option in the menus.

And strangely enough, motion controls can be used for menu selection, but you have to jerk the joy-con up or down to move in the corresponding direction? Obviously that is not ideal, but sometimes if you relax your right arm while selecting menu options with your left joystick, your right joy-con will register a motion, jumping your cursor up or down a spot. This is like Wii-era bad.

Anyways, I'm enjoying playing through the game with my wife with motion controls off. It's just a bummer because I kept picturing this being the long awaited motion control sequel to Godfather Wii, and it's clearly not.

The memories of that game. That and Scarface. Pretty funny remembering how all the big publishers at the time were scrambling to board the Wii hype and figuring how to shoehorn motion controls to their games. Good times.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this game is a failure on every level. I keep seeing that when I play it and it's annoying.
I managed to appreciate what it is trying to do until now but I'm not sure if I can do it anymore.

Also, I'm not sure if having many short cases at the beginning was a good idea at all. They're over almost instantly, are never interesting, and in like an hour of playtime you've heard 20 different names and met about as many people. You struggle to care or remember who's what. And it doesn't even matter. Like your questioning.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
The first desk is basically the tutorial desk, they're supposed to be short, easy cases to get you used to the game mechanics, the game really starts with the traffic desk

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Almost done with all the Traffic cases, and I got to say I'm enjoying the game a lot so far. The map is huge, and there really aren't any other things to do outside of the cases. However, I like that there aren't a dozen of other things to do in the world. Outside of that, only a few annoyances such as:

- Having to re-watch the entire cutscene if you fail
- This might be a PS4-only issue, but the constant "You can't record this scene because it is blocked" and "you can record this scene" pop-up is annoying.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I really hope this gets patched, I'm coming across some real ugly graphical anomalies related to the glitchy view distance, and this games HDR is awful. It's crushing all shadow detail in daytime scenes and is very hard to see in certain night scenes, the gamma levels are messed up or something, also not being able to take screenshots while HDR is active, the hell? The game doesn't even give me an option to turn it off in-game, gotta turn it off in the PS4 settings.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you had to choose what version would you play?
Switch or PS4?

I have played the game on PS3 a few years ago but I want to replay it soon.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if you're planning on playing it at home with a large TV then obviously go with the PS4 version, if you want to play it on the go then go with the Switch version. Both versions are better than the PS3 version.
I have a 26 1080p TV but the only reason I am considering the PS4 version is that of the framerate. is it 60 fps or the same as the switch version?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think it's possible to fuck up the pink slip case more than I did while still completing it

I got only 13/20 questions correct. I wish the questioning was more flexible because I had evidence that *did* contradict what they were saying, but it wasn't the exact evidence they were looking for

I love this game but it can be frustratingly obtuse at times

rare

Oct 25, 2017
The bugs keep getting worse for me. An entire cutscene at the beginning of Traffic was skipped because all the models were just t-posed. The pop-in is horrendous, audio balance issues out the ass, not to mention the pre-rendered cutscene desync.
I've never had such a buggy experience with a rockstar game.
Why the hell are people calling this a good port?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The bugs keep getting worse for me. An entire cutscene at the beginning of Traffic was skipped because all the models were just t-posed. The pop-in is horrendous, audio balance issues out the ass, not to mention the pre-rendered cutscene desync.
Which version?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Started my GameFly rental tonight and all I can think is how great this would have been with the Wii U game pad. Those touch controls while playing it on my TV? Would have been lovely.

So weird seeing a Rockstar product on a Nintendo console BTW. Would have been nice on the aforementioned Wii U or even Wii. (And yes I know about Table Tennis)

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
You have installed the patch yeh?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm..haven't had any issues at all. Odd.

Started my GameFly rental tonight and all I can think is how great this would have been with the Wii U game pad. Those touch controls while playing it on my TV? Would have been lovely.

So weird seeing a Rockstar product on a Nintendo console BTW. Would have been nice on the aforementioned Wii U or even Wii. (And yes I know about Table Tennis)

Bully, Manhunt 2

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
17GB install aside, LA Noire on Switch is a very solid port. Feels pretty much like the PC (non-remastered) version running on very high with very good AA.

Have not encountered aforementioned glitch so far. Then again, I've been playing docked. Will give portable mode a try. From what little I've tested, seems you don't lose much in portable mode.

Edit: I looked at the Options, and I'm amazed how optimized they made this game for the Switch's interface. Using the IR sensor to reload? Touch screen shortcuts? It's reminding me of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut on WiiU, which is one of the best examples of how to port games on a system.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
17GB install aside, LA Noire on Switch is a very solid port. Feels pretty much like the PC (non-remastered) version running on very high with very good AA.

Have not encountered aforementioned glitch so far. Then again, I've been playing docked. Will give portable mode a try. From what little I've tested, seems you don't lose much in portable mode.

Edit: I looked at the Options, and I'm amazed how optimized they made this game for the Switch's interface. Using the IR sensor to reload? Touch screen shortcuts? It's reminding me of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut on WiiU, which is one of the best examples of how to port games on a system.

What are the changes to the remastered edition? There are a few PS4/Switch comparison videos floating around and they look very close. Seems to be mostly QOL changes only for remastered which Switch got obviously

Never played on PC.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Way to crush the dream guys! Haha nah now you mention it I do remember reading something about that, I just forgot :(. Maybe Bully/Table Tennis and things like that are more realistic. They could have the motion controls from the Wii version with updated graphics which would be pretty awesome. Don't think Manhunt is likely ever again.

Bully, I think, would be very possible. It's already been ported to mobile, so the source must be in a usable state. Plus, if the long rumoured sequel ever appears, it would be a good way to reignite interest.