• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.dualshockers.com/nintendo-labo-sales-japan/

Edit for the masses :

The new set of educational accessories had a pretty good launch, ranking first and third with 90,410 units sold for the Variety Kit and 28,629 units for the Robot Kit, yet there is one piece of data that completes the picture and that Media Create revealed today: Labo's kits sold only 30% of the initial shipment for both kits, which is definitely low for a first party release.

It appears that Nintendo either expected to sell a lot more, or they simply over-shipped in order to cover the following weeks without needing further shipments.

On top of this, despite the release of Labo, Switch sales decreased week-on-week, and Media Create argues that there was no noticeable traction effect on console sales.

Ok, let's try this again.

Yes, the OP was horrible, I think that's been established. Let's move past it.
- So did Labo fall below expectations? Perhaps discuss why that may be? What could be done better?
- It's ok to not like Labo. It's ok to like Labo. It's not ok to turn the thread into a mud-slinging fest over that difference.

We'll give this another shot, but if it keeps going downhill I'm just gonna throw this thread in the dustbin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok the upside it sold almost 100k in its first week. How many new ips did sell 100k in its first week in japan lately? Not that many.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I saw a few boxes at Walmart last night and was kind of surprised since it's new. Then again, I had no idea of how well it was selling and didn't pay close attention to it. It's just that new things normally sell out fast and Nintendo likes to create demand through short supply.

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had a feeling this was going to be more of a slow burn rather than an explosion. Interested to see how sales went elsewhere.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I...don't see this taking off like many expected it to. Maybe the holiday will change that.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a few boxes at Walmart last night and was kind of surprised since it's new. Then again, I had no idea of how well it was selling and didn't pay close attention to it. It's just that new things normally sell out fast and Nintendo likes to create demand through short supply.
Lots of Nintendo switch owners in my friend group now. Of those that actually heard about the labo none are interested and are honestly confused why it even exists. Seems like a bomba

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo's approaching this like a Toy and not a conventional game, then they're betting on holiday sales to do the trick with additional sets. In which case, these numbers aren't too surprising. It was actually #1 last week, so it's off to a decent start so far.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
it's also a toy meant for kids which means the appeal will be limited

i expect labo to do better at christmas time than at launch. it's a toy being marketed as a toy. holding it to conventional software sales is going to prove people disappointed

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be in Japan this coming week so I'm looking forward to seeing how the stock is.

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The concept interests me but I don't have the space for all those cardboard contraptions, nor can I justify the price.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This is a cliche approach to pumping out toys, get it out, let it brew, see if it gains momentum then hope it explodes during the holiday. Anyone who dog piles Labo right now is a fool, it won't be a traditional seller if it sells.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, duh. If it's successful, it will have a toy trajectory, so first week sales won't tell us much anyway. We'd need to wait till holiday season to know whether or not it stuck the landing.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
i'd worry more about its legs... especially given the audience its being marketed too... rememebr how many of the wii/ds expanded audience titles sold for nintendo. launch numbers for many of them were nothing to celebrate in it self.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all those saying it's meant for holiday sales, why did they launch in April then?

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
For all those saying it's meant for holiday sales, why did they launch in April then?

Never observed a huge toy product release have you? While April might be a bit early, it's likely to get some early hardcore sales, creations and advertising going. They will likely release another kit or two come august and then market all of them together near the holidays.

Shocking yes, unprecedented even!

Oct 25, 2017
The OP is pretty light on content. We have a media create thread that covers this.
01./00. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit <EDU> (Nintendo) {2018.04.20} (¥6.980) - 90.410 / NEW
03./00. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit <EDU> (Nintendo) {2018.04.20} (¥7.980) - 28.629 / NEW
120k units of Labo sold in the first week. If sales drop and it fails to make a dent going forward then maybe it'll be an issue.
It's not like it sold poorly

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Completely annecdotally but amongst my group of friends it's mostly been a meh with some of my developer friends poking fun at it

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
To raise awareness for the run up to the holiday. It's a completely new type of idea that will take some time to catch on. Nintendo is probably hoping it has strong word of mouth as we get closer to the holidays.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
For a product like this (its basically a toy) i think its more important for it to sell over a consistent time period, not a big launch.
Also it did sell 120k in a few days, which is pretty good i think.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The OP doesn't provide enough info to have a proper discussion. Not everyone is knowledgeable about the Japanese market.

Given that Golden Week is right around the corner, overshipping in FW is no surprise.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
It's a joke. God of War sold out on Amazon, leading to the funny situation where Amazon sales charts claimed that Labo was selling more than GoW for a short time.
Labo did outsell God of War in Japan in the first week and will continue to do so. But this is the second thread that I opened today and the same user above trying to stir the pot about God of War and I can't help but laugh.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I...don't see this taking off like many expected it to. Maybe the holiday will change that.
This really should have been a Holiday Release given that it's a Big Toy.

When we look back on Nintendo's missteps with Switch I think "Labo Releasing In April Instead Of November" will be the first item on the list.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I'm more interested in where this leads, it has shown it works. Will Mario Kart 9 come with a LABO kit for a homemade steering wheel for example?

Apr 3, 2018
Japan
Labo > God of War

hBN1H0c.jpg

sq7ujI5.jpg

WE1Aecj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.