• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, I misread the data there. I'll fix it.
Part of why a lot of people were asking for more info in the OP was because it's pretty easy to misread the data.
The sales given cover only two days and before a major holiday in Japan.
So, while it's still possible for the game to underperform in japan, it feels a bit early to call

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly have no idea what Nintendo wanted from this, I don't see it catching on, it'll have it's small audience but I assume they were hoping for Tamagotchi/Pokémon level of interest?

Still, the price, impracticality of cardboard make this a very tough sell to the average gamer or parent.

Its frustrating Nintendo still believe in gimmicks like this, seems like a waste of resources.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Good, fuck Labo.

Dumb idea to make it the main offering for April of which has already been a week ass 1st half of 2018

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It's a really weird thread to make about an educational toy based on two days of data, and before a normally big selling week.
That being said, I doubt that the development of labo was an expensive one and I would bet that with the first week sells, Nintendo is already making a profit.
I'm probably gonna pick a variety kit and play with garage during the summer holidays. I don't think I'm an isolated case.
Unlike a regular video game I don't feel any urge to buy it even if I eventually will.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of kids are playing Labo. I see kids playing with labo a lot when I check the Twitter hashtags. I see older kids and adults really digging into the meat of the software with the coding aspect.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Golden week plays a big part in this. Most students barely stay home and play games. They mostly go to their sports clubs or go on vacation.

I made my students write a short story on what they did during golden week and around 90% of them ended up traveling or playing outside.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Labo isn't for me, but I do have a friend with a kid at that seems to be the prime age for this kind of thing. He told me they had a ton of fun making the robot, but once it was finished, his daughter enjoyed stomping around as a robot for just under 2 hours. It hasn't been touched since.

The value just doesn't seem to be there. Outside of the piano, the actual software interaction with this stuff feels pretty shallow.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm indifferent with the Labo. I feel it's too soon for the product. If this thing sells well cool, if it doesn't ok. I think Nintendo should've been focusing on games for the first two to three years of the Switch's life before introducing products like this. Not many people bought their Switch to play with cardboard

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Good, fuck Labo.

Dumb idea to make it the main offering for April of which has already been a week ass 1st half of 2018
Insinuating Labo took the place of another game for this month? No Labo would just mean nothing from Nintendo for this month, not for the kids, not for you, nobody, but sure fuck Labo.

Perd Hapley

Oct 25, 2017
So when you say Holliday what holiday are you referring to?

I'm not that poster, but I assume they mean Christmas.

There's a reason to launch a toy like this early in the year. Unlike video games, toy sales aren't as concerned with day-one sales. They are reliant on grassroots to increase their popularity. I could be wrong, but I'd guess you don't see many toys (that aren't part of established franchises) launching a week before Black Friday and instantly dominating the market. It takes time for kids to catch on. They aren't out there soaking up pre-release hype for Labo and standing in line on release day, you know what I mean?

I don't think it's a guarantee that Labo will be a massive hit, though I honestly think 120k sales in launch week in Japan is a pretty solid start. The next six months will be a test of the potential of Labo's creation tools. If people start building cool projects with this and sharing them online, I absolutely think it could catch fire. And it seems like the software is up to the task. But it won't happen instantly. That's why it's out now, in April. To give it time to show its true potential.

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
As I stated in the Media Create thread, it bombed so bad. And even worse: it did not move hardware. And this is great for hardcore gamers: less money and effort put into gimmicks and more into games.

first 1-2 Switch and then this should show Nintendo that Switchnis a hardcore gamer console, so the less gimmicks and wii like stuff the better it will sell.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I stated in the Media Create thread, it bombed so bad. And even worse: it did not move hardware. And this is great for hardcore gamers: less money and effort put into gimmicks and more into games.

first 1-2 Switch and then this should show Nintendo that Switchnis a hardcore gamer console, so the less gimmicks and wii like stuff the better it will sell.

This is embarrasing. By the way, 1 2 Switch sold more than metroid prime 2 and 3. Nintendo should focus on more 1 2 swtich than Metroid.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
It's probably been brought up, but Labo is a very large and heavy product compared to regular games, and therefor likely to receive larger but less frequent shipments to save on freight cost. The initial shipment seems intended to cover golden week, otherwise I can't imagine Nintendo figured this would sell 400k on its first weekend.
Agreed.
To add onto this, Labo has the unfortunate side effect of not having any digital sales due to the cardboard/creative aspect. When a traditional game sells out nowadays, you can at least grab a digital copy from the console's online store. If Nintendo underestimates demand, there is no other way to grab a copy. Hence why they might have been more willing to overstock stores.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo was stuck in the past with this one. Kids these days don't play with cardboard cutouts. They play Fruit Ninja on their iPad.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Uh...1-2 Switch under no definition bombed. But fine, only hardcore mature games like Animal Crossing and Splatoon should exist.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I pretty sure most users on here don't actually know what they are talking about when it comes to game sales numbers. And they know even less about toy sales numbers...

We have no idea whether or not Labo will be a success, it is an unprecedented product that launched a week ago..

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

1-2 Switch is one of the best selling games on the Switch though.

Oct 27, 2017

Labo did fine, as did 1-2 Switch. This obsession with Nintendo needing to be only for "Hardcore mature gamers like mahself!" is getting old.

javac

Oct 28, 2017

They've sold 2.29 million copies of 1 2 Switch, it's the 5th best selling 1st party switch game, try again.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If labo sells similar to 12sw crows will go extinct by the numbers that'd have to be eaten by folks posting on this thread

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just dont understand the demographic for this. Ok its for kids but like what kid whose old enough to plaly video games AND be trusted to use a switch without breaking it is going to want this?

Ulairi

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not that poster, but I assume they mean Christmas.

There's a reason to launch a toy like this early in the year. Unlike video games, toy sales aren't as concerned with day-one sales. They are reliant on grassroots to increase their popularity. I could be wrong, but I'd guess you don't see many toys (that aren't part of established franchises) launching a week before Black Friday and instantly dominating the market. It takes time for kids to catch on. They aren't out there soaking up pre-release hype for Labo and standing in line on release day, you know what I mean?

I don't think it's a guarantee that Labo will be a massive hit, though I honestly think 120k sales in launch week in Japan is a pretty solid start. The next six months will be a test of the potential of Labo's creation tools. If people start building cool projects with this and sharing them online, I absolutely think it could catch fire. And it seems like the software is up to the task. But it won't happen instantly. That's why it's out now, in April. To give it time to show its true potential.

This guy gets it. The Outlaw Robo Laser Geek doesn't come out for Black Friday. It comes out months ahead of time and by the time we hit the Christmas rush the demand for Tickle Me Elmo is so high that parents are willing to pay a King's ransom for the Turbo-Man doll. '

Basically what I see in this thread are a few petulant adolescents unhappy that Nintendo made a product that wasn't made for them and their tastes. A product like Labo isn't going to launch and immidetily sell out. There isn't anything that it can immediately be compared to and the market it is targeting doesn't have high disposable income to go and purchase it for themselves. They are selling this to people in their 30's and 40's to buy it for their kids that are ~10 years old. They need to get it out in the channel and give the product time to breathe so it can be put on the Best of Lists, hit the Today Show Christmas gift lists, be on the edutainment lists, etc.

But, you guys are sure going to show them for not making another product for you. Fuck those kids! Nitendo shouldn't try to make stuff for them! This is a HARDCORE GAMER MACHINE! NOT A KITENDO MACHINE!

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

2.29 million sold for 1-2 Switch lol. And we are not even in Golden Week yet. Lets see how will u spin those sell number anymore when Labo suddenly sold more than Xeno 2 or many of your favorite hardcore game lol.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'm more than happy to revisit the subject again. I have a feeling it's going to be another bomba and apologists will be saying "oh just wait for (insert X holiday) it will surely take off!" Kind of like the Wii u and it's infamous chalkboard.

But why do you have that feeling? So far there is nothing to indicate that it will be anything like the WiiU. It was the No.1 product in it's first week and there have been no price drops that would indicate retailer nervousness about the products sales potential. Unless you have some further data you are holding back?

But yeah, if it sells like under 20k during the Golden Week sales period, or doesn't push through it's initial shipment without a price drop, I am not above admitting I'm wrong. I won't move goalposts.

Notice how I am also not saying it will be a sales success. This is because, as many people in this thread have been saying, it is way to early to make definitive statements. All that you can go on right now are gut feelings and that is fine, but these feelings can't be presented as data.

My gut feeling (not based on data): I think it will do respectable. It is perfect thing for me as a dad to pick up and do with my kids over the Golden Week vacation (which starts May 3rd). I teach at an elementary school here in Japan and kids have been talking about Labo. Does that chatter present definitive data that Labo will be a huge hit? No, it is only an anecdote.

But yeah, let's come back to this in a few weeks.

But just to have a baseline. What would Labo need to do to be considered a success in your eyes? Or just not a flop? Give some numbers and we can have an interesting discussion in the future.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, we will get a bunch of excuses why the 2.29 copies sold of 1-2 Switch "don't count" for some reason but the 1.3 million copies of XBC2 do.
Both did pretty well I think. 1-2 Switch was a party game going for general appeal, while XBC2 is a JRPG not made by Square Enix, Atlus, or Game Freak.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When is golden week again ? I also don't get the hate. It's not for you cool but no need to hate it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both did pretty well I think. 1-2 Switch was a party game going for general appeal, while XBC2 is a JRPG not made by Square Enix, Atlus, or Game Freak.

Both are great successes. I'm just using XBC2 to just show how ridiculous saying 1-2 Switch is a absolute failure is. If 2.29 million units is a failure...then what's XBC2?

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
To go back onto the 'moving hardware' part of the article, does children-targeted software traditionally increase the sales of hardware at launch? I can imagine family/all-ages games such as Mario and Ratchet & Clank moving consoles with their release, but Labo really has an age cap.

Does anyone have any examples of children-targeted software giving hardware a boost?

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Both are great successes. I'm just using XBC2 to just show how ridiculous saying 1-2 Switch is a absolute failure is. If 2.29 million units is a failure...then what's XBC2?

They probably made an insane amount off of 1-2 Switch relative to what they spent to make it. The same will probably end up being true for Labo.

EDIT: Jesus Christ they're just talking to each other about how bad 1-2 Switch bombed (it didn't lol) and concern trolling about "gimmicks." Amazing.

It's incredible that OP's thesis essentially boils down to "uh oh Labo sux, Nintendo should've put a core game in its place", but when you look at the chart, it outsold an enormous, big-budget #RealGamer console exclusive that released on the same day.

Lmao.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: "No True Nintendo Fan" disingenuous arguments, bringing up off-topic things to provoke

Big time. Indie studios that port their games to the switch have nearly universally said how the switch is their best selling platform. Actual games sell on the console and hopefully Nintendo sees this and keeps the gimmicks to a minimum.

Yup, I don't think Nintendo ever intended it to be a big thing, but the superfans liked to think so. I'm glad it didn't meet their exaggerated expectations.
I do think super fans like you said seem to be using their support for all Nintendo products as some sort of guage for how much they love Nintendo. I really enjoy them but to me a true fan is willing to call a company out on bad ideas. Kind of like the fans pretending that the DCEU movies are good.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
If it was a jrpg I would understand as they are rarely leggy in Japan.

But Labo? this isn't bad news, but it isn't good news either, we will know soon if Labo is a success or not.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course, this leads to the "I knew it all along it wouldn't succeed!!" part of the cycle. Era didn't disappoint at all with that one.

Looking forward to the major reverse gear in a bit.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So when you say Holliday what holiday are you referring to?

I'm not the poster, but I am assuming Golden Week. That is the holiday I am referring to. It is coming in a few days and it traditionally has increased software sales. Making it the most relevant holiday for this discussion.

When is golden week again ? I also don't get the hate. It's not for you cool but no need to hate it.

Starts the 3rd. My kids have school the 1st and 2nd.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big time. Indie studios that port their games to the switch have nearly universally said how the switch is their best selling platform. Actual games sell on the console and hopefully Nintendo sees this and keeps the gimmicks to a minimum.

I do think super fans like you said seem to be using their support for all Nintendo products as some sort of guage for how much they love Nintendo. I really enjoy them but to me a true fan is willing to call a company out on bad ideas. Kind of like the fans pretending that the DCEU movies are good.

Didn't we just have a thread lock because we want to prevent stuff you're spouting right now?

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.

what is wrong with broadening the audience and making games for casual people too?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty sure most users on here don't actually know what they are talking about when it comes to game sales numbers. And they know even less about toy sales numbers...

We have no idea whether or not Labo will be a success, it is an unprecedented product that launched a week ago..
These people don't care about knowing the truth or reading data literally proving their hot takes about FW sales for a toy mean nothing, they just want to protect their hobby from kids. This must be one of the most embarrassing threads in this site - console warring, outright no interest in researching before posting, people posting "I hope a game fails"; it reads almost like anti-intellectualism.

I just dont understand the demographic for this. Ok its for kids but like what kid whose old enough to plaly video games AND be trusted to use a switch without breaking it is going to want this?
This sold 120K in 2 days in Japan. Guess there's a public for it.

Yup, I don't think Nintendo ever intended it to be a big thing, but the superfans liked to think so. I'm glad it didn't meet their exaggerated expectations.
What expectations.

Nov 3, 2017
In the West, toy sales are overwhelmingly Christmas loaded. I used to read Hasbro investor reports like 5 years back, and recall like 80-90% of their revenue was generated in December.

Not sure how it's like in Japan. Is there an equivalent holiday?

Oct 27, 2017

Both kinds of games can sell on the Switch. Labo or 1-2 Switch being successful products aren't going to make indies turn around and not support the Switch. That's stupid.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These people don't care about knowing the truth or reading data literally proving their hot takes about FW sales for a toy mean nothing, they just want to protect their hobby from kids. This must be one of the most embarrassing threads in this site - console warring, outright no interest in researching before posting, people posting "I hope a game fails"; it reads almost like anti-intellectualism.

This sold 120K in 2 days in Japan. Guess there's a public for it.

What expectations.
Yes, 30% of their shipment. That doesn't answer my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.