• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They'll have to create some sort of head strap thingy, but you have to imagine that PC is next for those titles.
Rez Infinite's already on PC and I'm sure Tetris Effect will be shortly, whenever Sony's window ends.

I just wondered if Labo VR might be enough to push Switch ports over the threshold. Lumines Remastered selling best on Switch already gives them some incentive.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in seeing if any indies "bite" on labo VR and if Nintendo themselves make any updates for their own titles.
Nintendo allowed deemo to use labo piano, i believe.

A $40 VR set should make experimenting pretty appealing.

Still not sure how invested nintendo is with this VR set so I guess we'll see.
If they really think it works, bundling the cardboard with every switch sold should be cheap and would add a lot of value.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested in seeing if any indies "bite" on labo VR and if Nintendo themselves make any updates for their own titles.

If they really think it works, bundling the cardboard with every switch sold should be cheap and would add a lot of value.
I think Nintendo will first wait and see if it picks up. If it hits say, 1M sales within a reasonable time frame it could be a platform for niche projects like that, and then it could get bundled too. The $40 kit really feels like Nintendo doing their best to make this succeed at a basic level.

Then again, I start wondering about the supposed "Switch mini".

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
NintendoLife has impressions based on what Alex has demoed:

Tracking is surprisingly good/responsive, and image quality wasn't much of an issue despite concerns. Tactile feedback and QoL features implemented are suprisingly appreciated.

No one has suprisingly suffered from any motion sickness during their time with it, too.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

That would be fantastic.

This VR kit as a thousand times more potential than I first thought.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo will first wait and see if it picks up. If it hits say, 1M sales within a reasonable time frame it could be a platform for niche projects like that, and then it could get bundled too. The $40 kit really feels like Nintendo doing their best to make this succeed at a basic level.

Then again, I start wondering about the supposed "Switch mini".
Presumably, if they really wanted to push VR they could bundle it with Switch lite to avoid any confusion about compatibility.
Making VR cardboard out of switch packaging would be a pretty novel way of handling it

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Again, I don't think Nintendo interested in making Labo VR a platform onto itself. I don't think they'd block an indie from making a Labo VR only game or anything but that's more because they let 3rd parties do whatever they want in general so long as they pass basic QA and local ratings boards.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
games looked way better than what i was expecting. Labo kits have been great as rainy day activities w/ my daughter, I still got 1 left to build on the variety kit but this will be a good one to add to the fold.

Oct 27, 2017
Similar to the first round of Labo, if I was 8 years old then I'd think this is so cool.

Looks much better than I expected and those programming tools seem impressive.

Not for me, but still very creative. I never thought they'd do anything with VR on switch but clearly I was wrong.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Saw in the trailer where it looked like they had a few different sports in the vr plaza area. Did anyone test them out? Just curious.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Virtual boy library says hello. I wonder if you can create those games in the vr garage somehow.
Nintendo should just do a VB app through NSO or sell a VB Collection with Labo VR support. Not many games to emulate or license, they could get everything worth playing just working with Konami (Hudson), Sega (Atlus) and D4 Enterprise (T&E Soft). They could even include complete unreleased games like Bound High and Dragon Hopper.

That's probably the only way I'd pick up one of these.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The lack of a headstrap is actually really good for something like this, since kids are the primary audience; constantly holding the headset up to your face stimulates proprioception, which goes a long way in mitigating VR-related sickness. Very smart design choice.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The lack of a headstrap is actually really good for something like this, since kids are the primary audience; constantly holding the headset up to your face stimulates proprioception, which goes a long way in mitigating VR-related sickness. Very smart design choice.

I was wondering if you had attended the Labo VR Kit demo, and if yes, have you witnessed any one bringing their children in to try them out? I wondered how they would handle VR.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I need Glasses Opinions!

I don't know how it will be for those who have to wear glasses.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
do all the iterations of this require you to hold the thing to your face...?!

that seems like kind of a lame approach, they couldn't include some ski goggle type strap or something?

Here's your answer.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't look like a very sophisticated VR platform and at the same time it has the creativity of the entire "real" VR plattforms out there combined, I was smirking at the beginning about how terrible that shit is going to be, then I started to admire the creativity behind it!

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder what kinds of custom mods people will come up with for Labo VR...

Want a head strap? Roll your own! The beauty of Labo is that it encourages your own experimentation!

Looking forward to all of the Virtual Boy mods! :D

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched the trailer and this is better than I expected. It's also nice that you can play all games in 2D, VR-free, for younger kids or people with motion sickness (according this this video).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I actually think thi is a great creative thing. The VR Garage blew me aways, even more because Nintendo life says it doesnt even need to be VR games, you can actually make games that play wityh switch in portable and tabletop mode (and I suppose also docked?). He was talking about creating a foosball tabletop game were two players could play.

Also everybody talking about pokemon snap etc but hasnt say anything about one of the games being basically Endless Ocean in VR, and that was one of the hidden gems of the Wii.
51EOqJb6VCL.jpg

I need Glasses Opinions!

I don't know how it will be for those who have to wear glasses.
Nintendo Life video says glasses were no problem, even big ones, the vr kir had a lot of space so it felt comfortable.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Nintendo does a trailer that just focuses on VR Garage.

I think people recognized it looks cool, but even analyzing the trailer a bit closer, there is some really impressive stuff you could be able to do with it.

For one, previews for the kit have said that all 64 mini games in VR Plaza are all games that Nintendo developers made with the VR Garage software! That means everything you've seen in those games, not only can you make it for yourself but I think you will be able to dive into the code of their games yourself and tweak things or maybe even copy it (I think I've heard someone say something to that effect) to make you own game with it. I know I've heard that there are templates of code that you can use for sure.

There are lots of cool stuff you can do with physics including liquids, jumping, falling, destruction, object interaction, etc. Just freeze frame the montage and there are a ton of physics we'll be able to play with.

This not only allows you to make games in 2D, but you can also make your own stuff for VR. There are some really elaborate levels Nintendo shows off with a variety of things that form the basis of full fledged games to quick little Wario Ware style mini games. From racing to a shooting gallery to puzzles to platformers to sports, you really are enabled in a huge way, and in a big step up from the original Toy-Con Garage.

It's also build on top of Toy-Con Garage, so that should mean that all the stuff you can do with controllers, gyros, IR, touch input, cardboard, music, SFX from before you should be able to do here. You could do some really intricate stuff behind the scenes with Toy-Con Garage, but being limited by the visual output meant that "video games" you could create would be very limited and it seemed to encourage more real world builds to be powered by a computer instead of the same interactive experiences you would have with the Labo Kits. Now that is no longer the case since the visual side of things has taken a leap from Game & Watch style games to being able to make modern 3D games with advanced physics.

People are going to be able to make some really awesome stuff and I hope to see not just cool video games and VR games, but games using real world cardboard input as well once again.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I've always liked Labo as a great toy set for kids, even if the price point's always been a little steep. But this legitimately has me considering grabbing it myself, especially the VR starter set. $40 for not just a cheap VR substitute but one that uses a giant DIY cardboard Super Scope? Sounds like a deal to me.

The Elephant looks incredibly versatile and the Camera is begging for a Pokemon Snap successor/revival.

taciturasa

Jan 10, 2018
The Elephant is an amazingly clever solution, just like I've come to expect from Labo. Enough freedom to easily use it as a wand, close enough to the face to accurately track 6DoF, incredibly comfortable to use seemingly. I've been tempted to get a Labo kit at 20 purely because of the ingenuity on display - VR kit might end up being the one. I just really want some older audience oriented Labo implementations...

Oct 31, 2017
I think this is Nintendo seeing the reaction of their consumers to VR. I think if it is well received this is just the beginning.
I agree would be amazing to see some indie bite in making games for this platform. Nintendo always said they would introduce VR once they have a fun solution. This looks really fun.
I also think that this will spill over to full games I'm sure everyone would love some Mario kart VR or Zelda. I can see it happening and I remember Emily saying this either could be getting added onto certain evergreen titles or may do.

Either way I think this one I am going to try.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
There's a hilariously easy way to make this system into 6DOF VR. It's already proven the IR camera in a WiiMote can be used to track head movements with accuracy.

Put a bunch of reflective stickers in a pattern on the VR goggles (one each on the front corners, vertical pair further back on each side to keep track when turning), and put the R joycon with its camera facing the user some distance ahead. The user will then be able to use a seated 6DOF VR, while using the L joycon for ingame controls.

Hell, it's probably possible with the VR Garage. Use the Snorkel tracker from toy-con Camera, and map it to camera movement. Just put the snorkel on the goggles, and place the R joycon on a shelf ahead of the user.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
There's a hilariously easy way to make this system into 6DOF VR. It's already proven the IR camera in a WiiMote can be used to track head movements with accuracy.

Put a bunch of reflective stickers in a pattern on the VR goggles (one each on the front corners, vertical pair further back on each side to keep track when turning), and put the R joycon with its camera facing the user some distance ahead. The user will then be able to use a seated 6DOF VR, while using the L joycon for ingame controls.

Hell, it's probably possible with the VR Garage. Use the Snorkel tracker from toy-con Camera, and map it to camera movement. Just put the snorkel on the goggles, and place the R joycon on a shelf ahead of the user.

I'm pretty sure this is similar to how the elephant toycon works (though not exactly):

nintendos-toy-con-elephant-to-be-used-with-nintendo-labo-vr.original.jpg

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Google and Oculus and steam all released vr crafting tools...is this the first vr platform with a game creation tool?

Could be super neat if people get into it. Does it have anyway to share good games/levels?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Oh wow, I thought it was using the gyros only, never dawned on me that there are actually IR stickers on the elephant's face,
with the right Joy-Con's IR facing it due to the mechanism.

Yeah, for something like 3D drawings, you're gonna need much better tracking than just gyros. The elephant shape was probably designed around the need for the tracking to be done in this way.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This does look surprisingly good and I'm glad it exists.

But I'm also really surprised it exists. I was under the impression VR wasn't meant for children under 10, something about development of their eyes. Am I misinformed and that doesn't apply here?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
This does look surprisingly good and I'm glad it exists.

But I'm also really surprised it exists. I was under the impression VR wasn't meant for children under 10, something about development of their eyes. Am I misinformed and that doesn't apply here?
One thing that I think could contribute to the difference is the type of lenses. I've seen people online suggest that they are pancake lenses which apparently have a wider sweet spot so it seems to serve a few purposes. For one, the screen isn't as sharp, so the screen door effect apparently isn't as pronounced since it's more fuzzy. Another reason is that it makes it easy for you to hand it off to your friend and anyone can quickly focus on the screen without worrying about having to adjust any interpupillary distance (IPD) control that moves the distance of the lenses. It seems like for those reasons, it would be potentially less strain for your eyes and where I can see Nintendo being less concerned about having a lower age than other VR manufacturers have recommended.

Oct 31, 2017
I think that Nintendo will be very successful with this Labo kit. Plus when it's not if anymore Nintendo go full in on VR it will be something special.