• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not one interesting looking game in the entire video.

People comparing this to PSVR are out of their head.

Resident Evil VII and Astrobot or Hungry Hungry Asynchronous Multiplayer Hippos?

Hmm...
I don't think I've seen people compare it to PSVR .....you must be one of the first to attempt. Totally different markets and features.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Just like last year's Labo stuff, this looks pretty neat but not for my demographic. I probably wouldn't play more than 30 minutes of each of these but Labo is great for kids and parents who want more productive games to play.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
Crazy thing I'm learning through this Labo kit coming out is that the Switch console itself actually has gyrosensors and accelerometers in it. I was wondering how one of the Labo VR sets worked without a Joy-con attatched to the screen. People always said that the Switch got it's gyroscope ability from the Joy-cons, but it says right on the Nintendo site that the Switch console itself has them as well.

This pretty much means that the Switch is VR ready as it is. If Nintendo wanted they could release a headset, or a strap for this kit and it'd be good to go for 3dof VR (like the Oculus Go).

Last edited:

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a kid-friendly, cheap VR setup it's really friggn' neat, and a lot more content and features than I legitimately expected. It's insane what Nintendo are pulling off with cardboard. The elephant thing is even really just a means of doing 3D tracking for one of the joy-cons with the elephant trunk thing really just being window dressing.

It's certainly not intended as a proper VR headset, just a fun toy, and I'm cool with that.

Oct 2, 2018
only good thing about this is the ideas which maybe a proper dev can steal to make a proper game for the other VR consoles.

That almost pokemon snappy one is sorta dope. I sorta want that. I loved pokemon snap.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
People are allowed to have a negative reaction to this, a discussion forum isn't just "only post if you like this thing". It doubly goes for lots who, for months cheerled "Pac-Man" in MC threads, take every opportunity to jump on the Sony or MS hate train(Sony was flavor of the month before EGS), and still defend anything Nintendo to the death(naming names is discouraged here or I would). Not liking this or 1-2 Switch isn't some crime they're committing against what you all like. In fact, most of the negativity has been pretty civil..."that looks terrible" being about the worst in this thread, with twice as many posts or more dog piling on the detractors. Attacking people like Kyoufu as fanboys (a big Monster Hunter fan, and guess where you could play it mainline before MHW.....) is silly, yet there are people asking for maturity in this very thread. We ALL have our biases, but don't let that cloud that a community isn't an echo chamber.

Either way, Nintendo giving their younger teams the ability to experiment is probably the best thing they've done over the last several years, even if I'm not a fan of many of their efforts. They add diversity and creativity at the very least. I wish some of them would get a crack at the big franchises(I'm not extremely well versed on where games like Mario Maker come from), though I'm sure this is the stuff they want to be creating.
People seem to be reacting to the negative reactions from people who likely are still parroting the same criticisms they've made about Labo and Switch VR for months now, with many threads and many posts of negativity behind that, whether it's the same rhetorical complaints or just general complaints people levied at this before they even could see what it was to say it was going to be "terrible" or whatever. It's just a general disingenuous impression, which is fine if someone will never like it because, for instance, it's made out of cardboard, but when they are building up a whole list of reasons it's objectively "terrible" and end up being mistaken on several point, a fair person may take the time to reassess their opinion, maybe even with the caveat that they can see the merits of such a thing even if it still isn't for them, rather than childish shitposts with nothing constructive to add to the discussion.

I don't think most people actually think the negative opinions are all that bad, besides the predictable drive-by shit posts, since it didn't end up as bad as many thought (and were very vocal about in past threads) so in general people just have less to say because it just didn't result in the disaster some were expecting.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Looks better than I thought it would.

It will still sell awful most likely though

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Nintendo does continue to work on VR concepts though and this can be a spring board for their devs to maybe try something else. Maybe not for this current Switch model, but in the future who knows.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
People seem to be reacting to the negative reactions from people who likely are still parroting the same criticisms they've made about Labo and Switch VR for months now, with many threads and many posts of negativity behind that, whether it's the same rhetorical complaints or just general complaints people levied at this before they even could see what it was to say it was going to be "terrible" or whatever. It's just a general disingenuous impression, which is fine if someone will never like it because, for instance, it's made out of cardboard, but when they are building up a whole list of reasons it's objectively "terrible" and end up being mistaken on several point, a fair person may take the time to reassess their opinion, maybe even with the caveat that they can see the merits of such a thing even if it still isn't for them, rather than childish shitposts with nothing constructive to add to the discussion.

I don't think most people actually think the negative opinions are all that bad, besides the predictable drive-by shit posts, since it didn't end up as bad as many thought (and were very vocal about in past threads) so in general people just have less to say because it just didn't result in the disaster some were expecting.

You get this a lot with Nintendo threads in general. Every 3-5 weeks we have a new 'why doesn't Switch have achievements/why doesn't NSO have voice chat" threads with a lot of the same arguments thrown around.

Some people just want to be angry about this and continue to beat a dead horse. Thankfully, we have an ignore feature.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Far from a Labo hater here, I think it's been a cool idea with some fun looking games from the start, but I am not much into using these super exotic controls to play, speaking personally.

However, this looks really cool, I'm impressed. It's tempting, just like some of the other Labo stuff, I just know though that I would end up wasting my money as I probably wouldn't use this much.

It looks really neat though.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Gotta love the VR elite team (you know, the ones that can only play at 999fps, 16K) criticizing this. It looks like a labo game in VR, what did you expect?

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Incredibly well designed and created. Where do they even get these ideas from? All the hands on impressions I've read are incredibly optimistic as well.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Dreams/Astrobot killer at the same time. Impressive. Kidding but some really ingenious ideas on display here again.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I thought it would be dreadful, but the video definitely sold me on this vr kit. It will be technically limited, but not only the games look kinda fun, but Nintendo doubling down on garage goes in the right direction. I hope it succeeds.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Looks decent but I think I'll wait for reviews.

Shame there's no content using their popular IP's as that would have been a bigger draw. I'm just sad they didn't take the plunge and create their own standalone VR heaset based off the Switch chipset (I believe I read that Oculus Quest is around the same ballpark as Switch power wise).

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
"You can even play them in 2D if the VR portion makes you sick "

well...i am interested now lol.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
On second thought i believe that is actually the best Labo kit so far, and I had an excellent opinion of the variety kit. I really hope it'll succeed this time. I can't wait to see people's creation with vr garage. If there's an online sharing functionality i might even buy it for myself.

Oct 29, 2017
Crazy thing I'm learning through this Labo kit coming out is that the Switch console itself actually has gyrosensors and accelerometers in it. I was wondering how one of the Labo VR sets worked without a Joy-con attatched to the screen. People always said that the Switch got it's gyroscope ability from the Joy-cons, but it says right on the Nintendo site that the Switch console itself has them as well.

This pretty much means that the Switch is VR ready as it is. If Nintendo wanted they could release a headset, or a strap for this kit and it'd be good to go for 3dof VR (like the Oculus Go).

It also technically has inside-out tracking if you consider that the right Joycon has a Kinect-style IR camera built-in.

You can even have it do outside-in tracking too if you decide to use another right Joycon and have it point towards the player!

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
it's not meant to be VR in the conventional sense

Wh... Exactly what is that supposed to refute? "Traditional" VR or not, there's basic mechanics that would be improved significantly with a hardware bump. That's a basic fact.

For example, I know why Nintendo makes you hold everything. It's the same reason Google discouraged straps on Cardboard: It reduces motion sickness. Reduces, not removes.

You can't just say "it's not supposed to be conventional" like that changes anything.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Clearly not for me, but Nintendo testing the VR waters is exciting to see. This is a cautious first step that could lead to some interesting places down the road.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
This looks much better that I thought it will be, definitely getting starter pack for $40 to try this.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Looks surprisingly good, albeit basically a collection of all the same kind of VR stuff we saw when the other headsets launched but this time packaged in a kid friendly way.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The games actually look a lot more polished than I would have thought. I can't see myself buying this, but still: not bad.

APP

Dec 1, 2018
man the new VR garage seem to be really more intriguing than I expected.
make, play and discover ... in 3D!

...and only $40 required for the starter pack.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Is there an age recommendation for children like 3DS had? Just curious.

Yeah, age 7.

I can see kids age 5 to MAYBE 10 year olds enjoying this...but yeah...Nintendo definitely gearing itself to really young kids.

Other than that it kinda looks a bit uhhh limited? Simple?

Actualy its for kids age 7 or above, but you can turn off VR and than can be used by younger kids also.

Ofcourse its limited and more simpler, its designed for kids with start price point of $40 and includes collection of around 60 mini games.

Finally a trailer, looks interesting but really uncomfortable, like it'll make your arms hurt after a while.
Holding your hands like that with a fairly heavy screen, is going to hurt after a few minutes. A shame because he actual software seems half decent

Probably that was one of Nintendo intentions, they dont want kids to be in VR too long,
this way kids can hold it for around 10-15 minutes max before they put it down.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting product for this Labo. I certainly if not money strained would love to get this pack lol. Maybe when it get cheaper.^_^

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The headset is probably cardboard-tier but that garage and 64 little games to go with it looks way more fleshed out than I expected

The garage in particular reminded me of dreams - little mannequin and building worlds to run around in. Sure it'll be way simplified but still looks great

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks shockingly well-featured. Labo always has the incredible construction element to recommend it for, but this looks like it might be the first time the software keeps up its end of the bargain.

only good thing about this is the ideas which maybe a proper dev can steal to make a proper game for the other VR consoles.
As opposed to?

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018

Really well said. I really dislike it when someone uses the "you're attacking for my opinion"/"I'm allowed to have my own opinion" straw man. It's done when the person has nothing else to back up their points. It's one thing to dislike something, it's another to be disingenuous about it. The latter is what pisses people off. When someone comes into thread and make up shit like "ERA praised Labo like the second coming of Jesus", of course people will call you out on it.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Connecting this with the other Labo kits would be amazing ! For example using the steering wheel while driving in VR

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really well said. I really dislike it when someone uses the "you're attacking for my opinion"/"I'm allowed to have my own opinion" straw man. It's done when the person has nothing else to back up their points. It's one thing to dislike something, it's another to be disingenuous about it. The latter is what pisses people off. When someone comes into thread and make up shit like "ERA praised Labo like the second coming of Jesus", of course people will call you out on it.
yeah, you don't get to be stupid and expect people to not call you out on it by playing the opinion card

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
My kids are 9 and 4, we have Yoshi next week then this and cuphead 2 weeks later. Thank the Nintendo Gods!

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized that with the starter pack only you already have the Toy-Con Garage VR, which is nice. I wonder if they'll ever update the old Garages.