• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
No I still diddnt try it yet (Labo VR yets to arive me), but with people reports from this thread its obvious that plastic protector have some kind of effect on experience, while people with glass protector didnt reported anything similar.
I think that even one guy that has two Switch units one with glass and other with plastic protector that has some problems with plastic one but not with glass one protector.
Well, from personal experience, I think a plastic protector works fine. I think it's hasty rip your screen protector off in fear before even trying it, but to each his own.

From what I've seen, most people have no issues with either, perhaps at worst having some blurriness by a plastic screen protector or even just having a screen protector in general. The Ars Technica writer that felt discomfort and claims that it may have been from the screen protector seems to have had a glass protector, by the way.

I'd take all the anecdotal stories with a grain of salt and try it for yourself first.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I hope someone like Gamxplain makes a video showing what 3DS games would look like on Labo VR...

I've been looking for some on Youtube to look at on my Switch, but there's hardly anything out there; and what little is there is incredibly poorly done...

I'd LOVE to see what the likes of OoT3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus Uprising, Rhythm Heaven Megamix and Codename S.T.E.A.M would look like if they were running on Switch through Labo VR!

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Finally found the time to finish the Blaster, and wow at that shooter game!
The graphics are awesome and it's very fun. It kinda looks like Astro Bot.

The blaster toycon itself is amazing, but the firing noise is a bit too loud, my neighbours must've thought I was using a gas powered airsoft gun inside home! :p
I hope someone like Gamxplain makes a video showing what 3DS games would look like on Labo VR...

I've been looking for some on Youtube to look at on my Switch, but there's hardly anything out there; and what little is there is incredibly poorly done...

I'd LOVE to see what the likes of OoT3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus Uprising, Rhythm Heaven Megamix and Codename S.T.E.A.M would look like if they were running on Switch through Labo VR!
I tried watching this 3D video of the Virtual Boy Wario game (it was made to be viewed on the 3DS screen, and it was kinda cool):

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

It's probably because it's difficult to record direct feed gameplay from the 3DS.

A potential workaround is to look at stereoscopic screen shots from the 3DS.

No idea if this is will look any good at all with the Labo goggles.

Edit: I've tried looking at the screenshots and they don't look good. The distance between the two images for the 3DS is clearly different from looking at the images through lenses with the screen up on your face, and the top video has the images reversed so you can see the 3D by crossing your eyes.

Last edited:

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
20190416_133524mzkj6.jpg

Got my Labo kit. Now i just need to wait for my nieces.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any way to easily wipe off the inside of the lenses? I keep getting cat hair and other bullshit on them.

Oct 25, 2017
I spent about an hour last night with this thing all to myself after my daughter went to bed (she hogs the thing when she's awake!) and actually really got into the marble game. It's interesting how the game plays with the limitations of the hand tracking and turns that into part of the puzzle (i.e., you can't actually change your position relative to the puzzle, there are certain hand motions that just aren't possible, etc). The limitations end up being something that plays into the puzzle's solution rather than being super frustrating. It's very clever.

Still have a more than half of the toycons to build (blaster, bird, pedal, plus the little pinwheel and mask thing) but this has been super worth it so far.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana

This is extremely basic, but here's a BOTW VR shot with centered 400x240 rectangles over each eye's view. A real one would be placed a bit differently, compensate for curve (though centered and small like this it wouldn't be a huge deal), and have to deal with the bottom screen, but hey. Simply as a way to view 3DS stereo content at its original resolution, it should work pretty well.
SihGRRp.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the fact they waited to release the VR labo set after they tried a few others was the best way they could have approached it.

They released the first three sets,gauged how people reacted to it so they could make adjustments, then release the most important labo set yet.

Brilliant job all around Nintendo, looking through all the impressions(and how much I loved it), I legit have not been so excited for anything switch like this since when it first came out. I hope it catches on and sells very well, as I would welcome more vrsets!
But it also kind of killed the brand and I imagine retailers don't want it anymore

Oct 27, 2017
Really fun. Had more fun building some of it last night versus other Labo kits in the past, and the payoff feels way more worth it than, say, the fishing minigame. I was surprised at how decent the VR tech was.

The biggest issue is holding it, really. That part kind of sucks, especially when you have to use a joy con in one hand.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I spent about an hour last night with this thing all to myself after my daughter went to bed (she hogs the thing when she's awake!) and actually really got into the marble game. It's interesting how the game plays with the limitations of the hand tracking and turns that into part of the puzzle (i.e., you can't actually change your position relative to the puzzle, there are certain hand motions that just aren't possible, etc). The limitations end up being something that plays into the puzzle's solution rather than being super frustrating. It's very clever.
This has been my favorite as well so far.

It also gives you context clues like looking at shadows to line things up or just playing with the physics can create multiple solutions, so the limitations forcing you to try to approach it from a different way is really effective.

Plus there are lots of levels and objects you unlock to create your own puzzles, so I'm really liking it.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Received my labo VR starter kit today and built the VR goggle, Jotcon holder and the switch. Was surprised to see these extra mini labo kits lol.

Just wanna ask if the blaster set can be built in stages? I rather spend about 40 mins every day than spend 3 hours of my weekend for that lol.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
For my money, the Elephant kit is the absolute star here. It's as close as Nintendo Labo gets to 6DOF and, while awkward, feels much more magical than anything else in the set. I'm stunned that they didn't put Elephant in the "starter" kit instead.
My wife and daughter absolutely love the elephant set. They were playing it for a while last night. Got some funny videos ands pics out of it.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Received my labo VR starter kit today and built the VR goggle, Jotcon holder and the switch. Was surprised to see these extra mini labo kits lol.

Just wanna ask if the blaster set can be built in stages? I rather spend about 40 mins every day than spend 3 hours of my weekend for that lol.
You can, yes.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Man I am so bummed out I hesitated on this. GCU makes it $63 at Best Buy but they're sold out locally and online.

Honestly I was holding out for Oculus Quest. But with how my free time is now, this is more appealing to me as a VR "toy" at the price point vs $400. I understand the experiences are completely different, but this should scratch the itch until the Quest is on sale at some point.

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Here's my detailed impressions of a weekend of being super sick with the flu, but still taking the time to build all but one of the toys, the pedal fan thing.

VR Goggles
They work. Still shocked about the unit itself having gyro. Zelda should have used this for its motion controls instead. I'm near sighted, badly. I'm blind as hell 3 feet away from my face, so I wear glasses. Have worn them the majority of my life. I like wearing glasses. Due to there not being focus slider, I must wear my glasses when using my goggles.

Luckily wearing glasses with the goggles is 100% fine. I'd say I have a big head and wear big glasses, and have no issue with everything fitting.

The tapping works about 90% of the time, or maybe I just need to tap harder. Not sure what's triggering the input when tapping, noise?

I noticed what looks like a clothe fiber of some kind on the lense, and need to think of an easy way to open and close it again.

Camera
This was the first toy I made after the goggles. Easy build. Only played with it a little, but enjoyed what I played. Seemed blurrier than the rest of the games I tried, now that I think about it.

The clicking when spinning the "lens" is quite satisfying. Takes me back to outing a card in my bike wheel as a kid.

I will get further into this toy later, as will my wife. She loves camera stuff and sea life.

Elephant
This has turned into the most used toy so far. First, the build. It wasn't as easy as the camera, but it wasn't hard either. First time I used rubber bands. The build quality seems a little flimsy, like I'm gonna break this thing, but it takes it.

My wife, daughter and I have a hard time putting this thing down. We love the puzzles and the the drawing. So very cool. The depth works do well here.

Honestly, I think the starter kit should have consisted of the goggles and the elephant. Not taking anything away from the blaster, but there's more you can do with this toy than the blaster.

Blaster
This thing is just cool. It's a damn shotgun toy for switch VR. Take that in. Dress it up with colors, give it a sleeker name, but it's still a shotgun, lol.

This was easily the longest build of the bundle, but that makes sense, especially once you use it. Nintendo also stated it would take longer as well. This one took a few rubber bands as well. Not a hard build, just a lengthy one.

Now, the games are fun. And the blaster works. I know that doesn't sound like the most informative view, but it's as simple as that. The guns cocking and shooting works, as do the games. It just works, and it works well. The visuals are ok, on the games. And there's a learning curve to the "bullet drop" of the ammo. But still, just fun. This game is best played in a chair that spins.

I'm not 100% sold on the build quality though. The notches that hold the rubber bands look like that can break loose, so I used some tape to secure them a little better. At the very least, it puts my mind at ease.

Also, got to say, I love the noises this toy makes.

Bird
This one is neat. Pretty easy build, and didn't take long to make. You push down on the wings and the bird flaps.

The one session I had wasn't the best, but keep in mind, it was very late, and again, I was very sick with the flu.

The visuals were ok, as expected. The flying felt a little slow, but it felt good. The turning left and right made me feel a little nauseous. But that might have been the flu too. It seems like it could be a simple fun collectathon mixed with timed races.

I will most definitely dive into this further.

I'd easily recommend this to anyone that is the slightest bit curious. It's fun, and I'd say there's $80 worth of stuff there. From the fun of building, the playing of the games and possibly creation of some too.

I will say this, I truly hope this sparks companies making plastic molds for Labo. I'd buy the plastic toys in a heartbeat.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
It seems like they entirely missed Denmark in the initial shipments, it was nowhere to be found.

Well, today I got the big package with all the things. I've never assembled a Labo thing before, so this will be interesting. Anything I need to know before opening the box, or are the instructions as thorough as I hope?

I am expecting it to use the Switch for interactive building instructions, it'd be silly not to.

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
It seems like they entirely missed Denmark in the initial shipments, it was nowhere to be found.

Well, today I got the big package with all the things. I've never assembled a Labo thing before, so this will be interesting. Anything I need to know before opening the box, or are the instructions as thorough as I hope?

I am expecting it to use the Switch for interactive building instructions, it'd be silly not to.
Just make room and have fun. I put my switch on a stand and had Hulu on the tv.

There's a whole lot of interactivity with the instructions, but I never felt I needed them, as they move the pieces into angles you need.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone interested, this elastic google cardboard strap is also an option for about 7 dollars. Only downside is that it's elastic, and has no option for adjusting the length like the 20 dollar Vive strap. The positive is that it would attatch much easier to the Labo VR viewer, as it comes with Velcro with adhesive on it to attatch to the cardboard.

For anyone wanting to easily add a strap, I went ahead and bought that $7 elastic velcro strap and it works perfectly, not overly tight or uncomfortable and doesn't feel like it's going to randomly fall off. I would recommend getting some kind of soft material to put on the nose guard though because it does push down onto your face when the Switch is inserted.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
UK is basically a dead market for retail these days. Means absolutely nothing in a worldwide context anymore.

Bear in mind that those charts include digital for all platforms except Nintendo.

Labo isn't sold digitally. Not that I think it matters much as you're right about the UK markets.

Next week, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will receive VR support via an update, to be played with the recently released Nintendo Labo VR set. Today, Nintendo published a blog post on their website in which the game's Technical Director, Takuhiro Dohta, talks about the inclusion of VR . Here are some key points from his blog post:

• camera control is tied to the headset – i.e. when the player turns their head, the camera turns into that direction as well (this can be disabled in the game's settings)
  • you can turn off VR mode at any time – Nintendo actually recommends only using it for specific areas of interests instead of playing in VR for hours uninterrupted
  • the concept behind VR inclusion in Breath of the Wild was "rediscovering Hyrule"; which is why you can use your existing save file instead of it being a separate mode
  • the major issue during development was that Breath of the Wild is a third-person game, whereas usually VR games, including Nintendo Labo VR, are first-person games
  • the goal of the developers was to create a VR experience everyone could enjoy in their own way, much like the freedom the game itself offers
https://nintendoeverything.com/tech...-wild-talks-about-the-games-upcoming-vr-mode/

I listened to the Beastcast this morning and they got basically everything wrong about this.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Labo isn't sold digitally. Not that I think it matters much as you're right about the UK markets.

I listened to the Beastcast this morning and they got basically everything wrong about this.
Lol I noticed that too. But to be fair the details at the time of the recording were basically nothing other than it exists.

Good thing they have a corrections segment. ;)

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Well, from personal experience, I think a plastic protector works fine. I think it's hasty rip your screen protector off in fear before even trying it, but to each his own.

From what I've seen, most people have no issues with either, perhaps at worst having some blurriness by a plastic screen protector or even just having a screen protector in general. The Ars Technica writer that felt discomfort and claims that it may have been from the screen protector seems to have had a glass protector, by the way.

I'd take all the anecdotal stories with a grain of salt and try it for yourself first.
I primarily had to rip mine off because there was dust and stuff under there that I never noticed with my naked eye until looking through the lens, and it was a cheap one that kind of made fingerprints more visible. I'm sure most screen protectors are fine

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
The building instructions are so good. I feel bad fast forwarding through them to go quicker because I enjoy the writing so much but I want to get my kit built asap!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I was initially interested in this but I haven't bought any Switch stuff in quite a while so I was gonna pass on it, but now that I've turned heel and decided to get it, of course it's sold out. Guess I'll be waiting it out then.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought the camera/elephant expansion kit off the Nintendo website based on impressions from this thread. Can't wait.

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone wanting to easily add a strap, I went ahead and bought that $7 elastic velcro strap and it works perfectly, not overly tight or uncomfortable and doesn't feel like it's going to randomly fall off. I would recommend getting some kind of soft material to put on the nose guard though because it does push down onto your face when the Switch is inserted.
Life saver. Thank you.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Next week, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will receive VR support via an update, to be played with the recently released Nintendo Labo VR set. Today, Nintendo published a blog post on their website in which the game's Technical Director, Takuhiro Dohta, talks about the inclusion of VR . Here are some key points from his blog post:

• camera control is tied to the headset – i.e. when the player turns their head, the camera turns into that direction as well (this can be disabled in the game's settings)
  • you can turn off VR mode at any time – Nintendo actually recommends only using it for specific areas of interests instead of playing in VR for hours uninterrupted
  • the concept behind VR inclusion in Breath of the Wild was "rediscovering Hyrule"; which is why you can use your existing save file instead of it being a separate mode
  • the major issue during development was that Breath of the Wild is a third-person game, whereas usually VR games, including Nintendo Labo VR, are first-person games
  • the goal of the developers was to create a VR experience everyone could enjoy in their own way, much like the freedom the game itself offers
https://nintendoeverything.com/tech...-wild-talks-about-the-games-upcoming-vr-mode/
Oh no way, I was right! Cuburger check it out we got a confirmation on how the VR camera will work in BotW! O:

Would any of you guys replace some of the toy cons, or goggles with plastic ones, made by third parties?
Absolutely, I'd buy a lightweight plastic camera and set of goggles with a strap for sure. Dunno about the blaster since it's so big but I'm sure once I build and play with it I'll be like GIMME DAT

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered the complete kit on Amazon. I hope I don't screw up the assembly process. They say the instructions are idiot-proof, but they haven't met me!

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Just ordered the complete kit on Amazon. I hope I don't screw up the assembly process. They say the instructions are idiot-proof, but they haven't met me!

Just follow the instructions and don't skip ahead and you'll be fine. Seriously, sometimes they'll throw in a backwards fold which can screw you if you don't follow along!

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Got the goggles completed now and I'm kind of impressed. It works. It's a little straining on the eyes, but so is "real" VR for me, so that sort of counts in its favor?

It's getting a little too late for arts and crafts, so I'll have to assemble the add-ons tomorrow. Thinking Blaster first, but we'll see.

I also learned that my Switch's screen is not as clean as I thought it was. Will have to get a microfiber cloth and get all those huge in VR specks of dust gone.