• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Thinking about a strap myself lately. Wouldn't the weight of the Switch cause problems?

I was thinking that. I had cancelled my pre-order on the starter kit, figured I mostly wanted to try it with Mario and Zelda so I had time to wait (additionally was already picking up Hellblade this week and Cuphead soon so had my gaming time pretty full). Also because, assuming it works well, I'd love to finally play through the Zelda DLC I've been putting off in VR...however the idea of playing for more than 20 minutes holding it manually to my face sounds awful. Hoping some creative nintendo fans or third parties figure out a way to have it with a head strap so I can play with the headset on and split joy cons in my hands.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I was thinking that. I had cancelled my pre-order on the starter kit, figured I mostly wanted to try it with Mario and Zelda so I had time to wait (additionally was already picking up Hellblade this week and Cuphead soon so had my gaming time pretty full). Also because, assuming it works well, I'd love to finally play through the Zelda DLC I've been putting off in VR...however the idea of playing for more than 20 minutes holding it manually to my face sounds awful. Hoping some creative nintendo fans or third parties figure out a way to have it with a head strap so I can play with the headset on and split joy cons in my hands.

Holding the Switch up to your face may cause problems. I intend to lie down on my back playing Zelda, wonder if that'll work.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Holding the Switch up to your face may cause problems. I intend to lie down on my back playing Zelda, wonder if that'll work.

Did we get confirmation on the lens types? I have one of those cheap ass headsets you can get at like Rite Aid for your phone (got it as a random gift once) and would be interesting if i could mod the slot a bit to get the switch to function similarly. I trust in the creativity of the Nintendo community to come up with some hack in the long run...assuming Nintendo doesn't do the obvious Nintendo thing to do and REQUIRE the joycons be attached to the screen in order for the zelda Vr to be playable.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This thing is sold out everywhere in my city... Can only find the starter kit and most stores don't even open for another 10 minutes.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Did we get confirmation on the lens types? I have one of those cheap ass headsets you can get at like Rite Aid for your phone (got it as a random gift once) and would be interesting if i could mod the slot a bit to get the switch to function similarly. I trust in the creativity of the Nintendo community to come up with some hack in the long run...assuming Nintendo doesn't do the obvious Nintendo thing to do and REQUIRE the joycons be attached to the screen in order for the zelda Vr to be playable.

Dunno if the joycons are mandatory and really curious about the Pro-controller. Will a Pro work with VR? Somehow I didn't get that part.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
While it's not Zelda so we don't know 100% for sure yet, several of the LABO VR games do not require JoyCons attached to work (in fact, the opposite, they require them to be removed and placed inside other parts of the ToyCons) so hopefully it is possible to play through Zelda with a head strap and the JoyCons in your hands.

Remember, the out-of-the-box purpose of LABO VR and the way you hold it is strictly for kids. There are loops on the sides of the goggles to make your own straps, but to get the age rating they wanted, by design they made it so you have to hold it in your hands so that when children get tired of holding it, they'll take a break. Since older gamers don't have that restriction, in theory we should be able to play any of the LABO VR stuff with a head strap and detached JoyCons. 🤞

I personally can't imagine playing Mario Odyssey while holding the goggles up to my face (gotta be able to flick my hat out!!), so I'll be making a strap and I really hope it doesn't force you to play with JoyCons attached. All of the LABO VR experiences are playable in normal 2D so I'm really hoping that the DLC for Mario is as well.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Man I'm still trying to figure out how it could be possible to collaborate with Labo inspite of Nintendo's lack of direct support.

It is possible to transfer save files. I did that once while I got the system repaired under warranty but the primary console is totally locked out until the secondary console transfers the files.

I've never used the game sharing feature. Looking at instructions the primary console disables the secondary if the game is used. With the transfer system both parties can work on the same file but with game sharing the save files are unique to each device.

Is there a way to unify game saves through game sharing?

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Got mine!! Amazon delivered.

I've only put the VR Goggles together. Took about 45 minutes to put them together (this is my first Labo Kit. Tried the mini games and VR Videos. Very nice!!

Battery ran out though.

But that room they use in the VR Videos...looks like a room from a movie which is ready to murder someone in. 😲

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The general way you interact with the building app is a bit odd

Right at the start it says 'use your switch on the charger' to save battery I guess. Ok so tv preferred? But you can't get through the first steps because it forces touch interactions for the camera controls - the shortcuts on the joycons work but don't progress the tutorial

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
The general way you interact with the building app is a bit odd

Right at the start it says 'use your switch on the charger' to save battery I guess. Ok so tv preferred? But you can't get through the first steps because it forces touch interactions for the camera controls - the shortcuts on the joycons work but don't progress the tutorial
I saw that. I'm presuming that you're still expected to use the Switch in Handheld mode but with the charger plugged in.

Or a battery pack if you have a good enough one to charge the Switch while it's also running the software.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should have bought yesterday. 2 weeks wait'on amazon France now.
Bought the full kit even though I don't know where to stock them

Oct 25, 2017
Wow either this is selling crazy well, or stores really understocked them anticipating that they'd just sit on shelves. Seems like its impossible to find rn for same day purchase.

Put my BestBuy order in, but won't arrive till next week.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I was completely skeptical, right up until I put my face into the goggles and saw the big world open up before me. Yes, it's blurry, you can see pixels, all of that.. But it doesn't matter. It has that Nintendo charm, and it was also only 40 bucks.

There's a video of feeding deer, and they come right up to you and I kept moving my damn legs out the way for them. If you're going to show a relative anything, show them this video.

So the starter kit comes with VR plaza correct?

It's all the same cart, it just doesn't display things for ToyCon you don't have (it asks you at the beginning)

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very impressed. My wife messed around for like 20 seconds and was left with terrible nausea and motions sickness, but I messed around for about 20 minutes or so, and really enjoyed my time with it. Which is strange, considering that in recent years, being almost 30, motion sickness isn't uncommon for me in FPS games, or anything with off framrate or resolution.

I can totally tell this is introductory for VR, but it's my first experience with it and I'm excited to venture deeper.

Oct 26, 2017
Just picked up the starter kit at Best Buy. They had two left in stock and 1 left at Target. My first Labo kit. Thought the idea for the other kits seemed novel but I'm a sucker for VR (have a PSVR) so had to pick this one up. Really looking forward to building it out and especially the MARIO/Zelda DLC later this month

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wasn't really interested in Labo stuff, but for 40 dollars I guess it'd be a fun novelty to mess around in BotW and give me a little project to build. And maybe there will be some really cool addition to a Nintendo game like VR Mario tennis or Virtual Boy Virtual Console games or something

So I ordered one

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Briefly tried out the VR goggles, I bought a Gear VR for my phone a while ago and that's definitely what I'd compare this to in terms of visuals. The lack of a headstrap does get your arms tired pretty quickly... but that seems to be the point to prevent kids from playing for long. Luckily a headstrap mod seems trivial to do and I'll probably attempt it before the Mario and BOTW updates come out.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Does anyone have links to the expansion sets? I got the starter set but now looking to get the expansions

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sold out ASAP at my local store. The guy from the store told me they got a good amount of basic kits... Looks like this is the Labo champ.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm thoroughly impressed, yes there's a screen door effect and my vision blurs a little when moving my head, but the experience is extremely competent none the less. Although I am building myself a headstrap for comfort.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I got mine this morning and I've spent the last few hours playing games and testing it out. I've played the Rift and Go a whole lot, but I have to say, I want more of this. Holy crap, I just spent an hour playing the damn boomerang game. All this this did was tell me that I want more full games like this. I haven't tried the blaster yet, since I don't have time to build it until tonight, but this thing NEEDS a strap or some sort of "sit on the head" headset, because playing games like this with both joy-con would be amazing. They have to do more with it. I think I'm gonna try to figure out how to make a strap for mine so it'll sit on the head properly for when we get Breath of the Wild in a couple of weeks.

Also, I thought the screen and framerate would bother me, but not in the least. There's definitely that screen door effect and when looking too fast there's this motion blur going on. However, I got over that pretty quickly and just let myself play with the games. I still have to figure out how to unlock stuff. Just as a side note, looks like not everything is open initially. As I did some of the intro stuff, things started unlocking, so it'll probably be a good idea to do the tutorials.

I hope we get Thumper. Please do a VR patch!!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, built the headset, tried out a few demos and videos, looks and works better than I anticipated. Nintendo magic is real.