• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Forgot I had Target gift cards, so I just picked up the last starter kit at my local Target. Checking the app, it looks like this thing is sold out at pretty much every Target within driving distance from me.

And here I thought it would just be sitting on store shelves.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Guess nobody cares much for VR where I live (or Labo VR). No issues getting the basic or complete set at Best Buy.
Went with the complete kit, thought it would be cool to try out even though I didn't care much for VR when it came to Oculus that I returned it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was completely skeptical, right up until I put my face into the goggles and saw the big world open up before me. Yes, it's blurry, you can see pixels, all of that.. But it doesn't matter. It has that Nintendo charm, and it was also only 40 bucks.

There's a video of feeding deer, and they come right up to you and I kept moving my damn legs out the way for them. If you're going to show a relative anything, show them this video.

It's all the same cart, it just doesn't display things for ToyCon you don't have (it asks you at the beginning)

First VR video of mario putting his hand in your mouth is just weird

Second video of sea lions they're too close to you so it feels bad

Third video of deer just made me smile as more and more game up to be fed by me - really sweet video

I want nintendoland in VR now.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I didn't pre-order, but after seeing the positive reviews I decided to try and pick up the full kit in-store today (in Canada). EB Games and Best Buy only had the starter kit, not the full kit, by the time I got there. Toys R Us and Walmart aren't even selling it in-store, just online. So if I'm going to order online, I'd prefer Amazon, but they only have the starter kit! Dayum.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Where are all the impressions at era? I need to know about Mario and Zelda from the community.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing the gun peripheral. Kinda hoping Nintendo releases 3D updates to old SNES Super Scope games that work with the VR gun. Give them out for free in the Nintendo Online app.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really dived deep into it yet but what's the quickest way to unlock all the minigames in the plaza? I see it says camera unlock required in discover for some of them...I assumed the minigames in the plaza only needed the default cardboard viewer to play, bummer if not.

First impressions are decent, enjoyed putting it together but boy didn't expect the low res to stick out so much. I think in the days of dk1 when I had a 720 plasma as my main TV it wasn't so much a bother but after using PSVR and Vive a lot recently plus being used to a 4k tv for a bit it stands out more. Not a big deal, for $40 this is a great value particularly for the intended demo. If anything so far the construction was the most fun lol...kinda feel like getting the other VR sets now.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I've now built every toy con. Elephant is my favourite, blaster is also incredible. Cant wait for BOTW.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not the most objective metric, but the Nintendo World Store said they were selling the starter kit faster than they could keep it in stock downstairs (they had to fetch some boxes of back stock for mine).

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot I had Target gift cards, so I just picked up the last starter kit at my local Target. Checking the app, it looks like this thing is sold out at pretty much every Target within driving distance from me.

I bet a lot of people got sold on it because of Mario + Zelda

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I got the VR Starter kit for free with Amazon credit. I'm excited to try this out but even more excited for Mario and Zelda.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if this will improve interest in the other LABO kits. The vehicle and variety kits in particular are also really fun.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week) - System warring
What I gather is "the games all look like garbage, heavy screen door effect, but it's Nintendo so we love it!"

I'll be ready to pick these up when they inevitably go on deep discount.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I was excited for this because of the ease of use but I wish Nintendo put more work into the ease of find.

How the hell are these things sold out all over town

What I gather is "the games all look like garbage, heavy screen door effect, but it's Nintendo so we love it!"

I'll be ready to pick these up when they inevitably go on deep discount.

You're terrible at gathering

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Are they actually sold out, or are they not being stocked?

I know on the deal sites, most Targets were clearancing the Labo kits for 20 dollars last month. They may not have ordered any more kits due to previous Labo sales.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not currently for sale in the west I believe - would get one otherwise

Also these only hold a few toy con - so between the VR kit and the variety kit I got would be a few of them
Actually didn't complete the building of the full variety kit beyond the keyboard and house for that reason

Living in central London space is a luxury (and I have a decent sized place tbh)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Are they actually sold out, or are they not being stocked?

I know on the deal sites, most Targets were clearancing the Labo kits for 20 dollars last month. They may not have ordered any more kits due to previous Labo sales.

It doesn't seem like anyone is really stocking them. The Target by me said they only had 3 and the GameStop up the shopping center only got 5.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
This is trolling. I hope many people report you. So sad

It's not trolling, it's my opinion, it's honest and true, I hope you learn that people can have opinions that are in opposition to you and not be trolls. I'm bringing up the fact that many sites are glazing over a key aspect of this VR experience that isn't great. This is bullying, I didn't directly offend you, you're attacking me. because you're on the popular side nobody will report you though.

Gameexplain said awful graphics, gamespot said awful blurry graphics, other sites have said the exact same thing. I'm not fabricating anything.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the impressions. How's the image quality in comparison to PSVR?

Sweet spot is less than psvr i think
But honestly not a massive drop from psvr on standard PS4 - not tried PS4 pro with psvr which I believe helps with image quality

If a switch revision results in a lighter device this could lead to a proper headset maybe

The key as ever with Nintendo is software and it's implementation - a lot of creativity and fun here

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not trolling, it's my opinion, it's honest and true, I hope you learn that people can have opinions that are in opposition to you and not be trolls.
They why didn't you state that it was your opinion instead of the opinion of reviewers? ''What I gathered is because it's Nintendo we love it!'' is not a personal opinion.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Just got a chance to build the goggles so far, but I can already tell it has a lot of Nintendo's charm.

I have a Rift and a Gear VR with an s7, and I've tried Google Carboard with my s4 and PSVR for about 30-40 minutes in a demo area when it first came out so I'll say that the screen door effect is a good deal more noticeable than the Rift, but while it is worse than the GearVR (at 1440p) those pixels are still big enough to be noticeable and with my PSVR and Google Cardboard experience (both 1080p) they may have technically been better, but they were a similar level of noticeably for me. Even with the Rift you can notice the pixels, but they are small enough that at that point they are less likely to be distracting while everything below that level is like minor degrees of the same experience for me, with the GearVR at the upper end of distracting where it's almost good enough to completely ignore (though it's something you get used to) and below that it seems like you kind of always can see you are looking at pixels, but you get used to it.

That said, I don't know how big the field of view is, but it feels pretty nice, not as restrictive as I feared.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting decent reviews, is it worth trying for the $40 basic set? This like Google cardboard, right?

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
What's the point of the safety cover if you can't put it on while the joycons are attached? At what point am I ever going to be using this thing with the joycons detached?

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no that sucks, I was gonna buy it from them tomorrow cause I always count on them keeping stuff in stock, even when it's out everywhere else.
Well they still had everything in stock, including the full kit (I got the starter and the elephant/camera expansion). They just said it was selling fast. Even if they do sell out I think they get new stock almost every day.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
What's the point of the safety cover if you can't put it on while the joycons are attached? At what point am I ever going to be using this thing with the joycons detached?
The joycons are detached with viewing videos or several VR Plaza games. Also the frog jump game doesn't use them attached. The safety cover isn't needed when the joycons are attached because they would prevent the Switch from sliding out, which is it's whole purpose.

Oct 25, 2017
Tapping thing is interesting. Seems like it works pretty well despite not being an actual button.

Do I need glasses or contacts if I'm near sighted? Also not exactly sure how to hold it.
Noticed it's really out of focus on one eye, but if I shift it it's fixed.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
jts I think it might be helpful for there to be a FAQ section of the OP since there always seems to be a lot of the same questions in these threads over and over and over.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah it's the default camera view, I mean maybe they added the option but I doubt it. I'm sure someone has the link handy from the reveal trailer tweet, looks exactly like the base game from what I could see.

Interesting.

Have they mentioned how they were able to implement a VR mode into the whole base game? How is that not too taxing for the Switch to handle? It doesnt make sense to me

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, can't seem to claim the gold coin rewards. System complains about the region. No issue with the other Labo games I tried to redeem today.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have a sheet for the Blaster twice in my box and therefore am missing another. :/

Guess I need to contact Nintendo about it.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Been building the Blaster and VR glasses and while it took some time it's a fun thing to do and a little wonder how good it al works. The tutorial is really fantastic!

The quality is on par what I hoped it would be. I own a PSVR and while it may never reach the quality of that display, it's not bad by any means and the games are great fun.

Very impressed what Nintendo achieved. Yeah it sounds crazy, looking into a birds ass etc and I guess Sony and MS would have laughed at their HQ when this 'crazy' ideas were presented by the devs, but kudos to Nintendo to go along with it.

It may not appeal to everyone, but at this price it may be perfect to get into VR.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
1OVT146.jpg
my boy finally has a friend