• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I had only tested the very opening set of games, unlocked after you build the basic headset. Most of these are stationary, the kind of stuff that fits into VR best-practices. There's something about the way the lenses are set that makes me feel uncomfortable after roughly 180 seconds inside the headset, as opposed to what you're describing, such as lateral camera movement (a la the very first level in Astro Bot, which has some abrupt camera movement that isn't really replicated in the rest of that game).

I'm gonna try a few things and have friends and kids test this out and see what's going on before posting a full review at Ars. If I discover something egregious in how I constructed the headset or anything else, I'll be sure to report back here and on Twitter.
I think that sounds like a good idea. You def seem to be in the minority in terms of experiencing motion sickness with it. Myself, my wife and my daughter have been playing for several hours and no issues. My wife and I even polished off a couple of bottles of wine as we played.

I am sorry you've felt sick though. I imagine that sucks when you are trying to enjoy something that a lot of folks are having a blast with, especially if it is also your job.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
We got our first go at a diy headstrap on YouTube

Looking foward to many more. I'm gonna give one a shot at some point.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
For people who bought the Starter Kit, do you feel satisfied with the content? Does the VR Plaza come with this kit? I'm thinking of buying just the Starter Kit to be able to see if I'll be comfortable with the VR experience on Switch (this would be my first time trying VR) and accessing any future content Nintendo releases in their main titles.

Also, for people who bought the full set, does everything come on multiple game carts (like I presume it is if you buy the Starter Kit and then the Expansion Kits), or is it consolidated into one?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I had only tested the very opening set of games, unlocked after you build the basic headset. Most of these are stationary, the kind of stuff that fits into VR best-practices. There's something about the way the lenses are set that makes me feel uncomfortable after roughly 180 seconds inside the headset, as opposed to what you're describing, such as lateral camera movement (a la the very first level in Astro Bot, which has some abrupt camera movement that isn't really replicated in the rest of that game).

I'm gonna try a few things and have friends and kids test this out and see what's going on before posting a full review at Ars. If I discover something egregious in how I constructed the headset or anything else, I'll be sure to report back here and on Twitter.

FWIW I did notice a bit of the cross-eyed sensation I typically experienced on other low end headsets like DK1 and GearVR, so you're not completely alone wrt some discomfort :)

I do wonder if your issue could be a lens placement issue like you mentioned, when I was initially assembling mine I noticed the lens housing kept sliding around a bit though the last steps of construction seem to do a good job making sure you have that uniform rectangular shape around the frame in case any adjustments need to be made. I hope you're able to alleviate the motion sickness some :)

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
For people who bought the Starter Kit, do you feel satisfied with the content? Does the VR Plaza come with this kit? I'm thinking of buying just the Starter Kit to be able to see if I'll be comfortable with the VR experience on Switch (this would be my first time trying VR) and accessing any future content Nintendo releases in their main titles.

Also, for people who bought the full set, does everything come on multiple game carts (like I presume it is if you buy the Starter Kit and then the Expansion Kits), or is it consolidated into one?
I believe it's all in one cart.
I got the full kit and the software asked if I have the full kit or starter kit when I first boot it up.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
I am having a blast with it so far. Me and the wife built the goggles together and tried out some of the minigames. This is the most excited I've ever seen her for a game and(as someone who's TRIED to get her into LOTS of games) that's saying a lot.

In my opinion this deserves to do incredibly well, and I didn't think that of any labo kit beforehand.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the full game will still come with the starter kit as there is only one cartridge. I have the full kit and it is just lots of cardboard with one cartridge.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, was a bit worried when I tried it without my contacts and it looked really bad.
Put on my contacts and tried the blaster mini game and it's super impressive

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I've been testing the modern wave of VR kits since the DK1 was being shown behind closed doors before its Kickstarter. I have an admittedly low tolerance for VR motion sickness, which means I don't review games or hardware with any sort of "VR legs," always mindful of what a new user might experience. I have written glowing reviews of VR games on "weaker" systems like PSVR. And I have never had an experience that felt this painful this quickly, so, yeah, I'm sending a warning out there for a wider audience.

I am glad to hear other people (and kids) are enjoying it without getting sick, and ResetERA readers can take all of these combined impressions (which I assume they want to hear, since this thing just came out) and decide accordingly.

Have you tried with a different Switch and set of Joycons? I feel like the joycons i have used have varied wildly in quality in terms of drift, rumble and overall durability. I wouldn't be shocked if some joycons might have better or worse gyroscopes and accelerometers.

Test with a bucket nearby.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I've been testing the modern wave of VR kits since the DK1 was being shown behind closed doors before its Kickstarter. I have an admittedly low tolerance for VR motion sickness, which means I don't review games or hardware with any sort of "VR legs," always mindful of what a new user might experience. I have written glowing reviews of VR games on "weaker" systems like PSVR. And I have never had an experience that felt this painful this quickly, so, yeah, I'm sending a warning out there for a wider audience.

I am glad to hear other people (and kids) are enjoying it without getting sick, and ResetERA readers can take all of these combined impressions (which I assume they want to hear, since this thing just came out) and decide accordingly.
You can get the point across that Labo VR, like every other VR platform in existence, can cause motion sickness without resorting to "I do not recommend that parents subject their kids to this." Subject their kids to this? Surely you realize how dramatic that sounds.

Disagreements aside, are you at least feeling better by now? PSVR had me feeling like shit for quite a while after I first used it (until I found out about the additional settings for things like pupillary distance, thanks for including those in the setup process Sony smh), so I genuinely empathize and hope you feel better soon if you're not already. Strangely the first time I used VR on someone else's Vive I didn't have any motion sickness at all (made my anxiety pop through the roof though lol) but man did I feel bad after trying to play Skyrim VR. /:

...now I'm anxious about trying my Labo VR tomorrow lmao, of the 2 VR platforms I've used I had no issues the first time and got sick the second so my track record is an even split hahaha oh nooo [cut to tomorrow when I'm in here echoing your sentiments between trips to the bathroom]

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Update: I'm not going to delete my tweet just yet, BUT, I waited for my sick feeling to subside and then tried again with my screen protector pulled off (as one commenter suggested and as I'd theorized about separately). That absolutely helped. I still got to an uncomfortable place somewhat quickly, but it wasn't nearly as "OMG RIP IT OFF" as my first tests felt.

I don't like having a Switch without a screen protector, especially when I'm spinning it around real-life space via Labo VR, and I bet parents are going to unwittingly try Labo VR without thinking about that aspect. But duh, any extra screen alteration is going to make a difference when you add the magnification of VR lenses. That "ugh I should've known" is definitely going in my write-up. Thanks to everyone who's offered kind advice.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
So there seems to be points where the instructions tell me both to hold onto the headset with both hands and a firm grip.....while also holding a detached Joy-Con in my right hand.

Am I supposed to have a third arm? A friend hold it up for me? XD

How are folks supposed to play this stuff, let alone kids? Switch held up to your face for minutes at a time is one thing, but with just one hand, I could see a lot of kids dropping it.

How are we going to play Zelda with this again? Like, is the idea that Link parks his horse somewhere and you just look around but can't play because you're busy trying to keep the Switch up?

Get back to me.
I'm confused.

Also, despite low tech, I like the VR experience. I definitely appreciate the PSVR refresh rate now, but the Labo VR ain't half bad.
I'm sure kids will love it and I'd love to see more meatier, although still small, VR experiences.
Ones that don't just reset after 20 seconds of play, and maybe have some thought out visuals, rather than game engine demo assets.

Finally, as someone new to Labo, building is a lot of fun, though I feel like I was taking a long time. I bet kids would really love it, but I don't have any, and hopefully never will.
Still a lot of fun so far.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's all in one cart.
I got the full kit and the software asked if I have the full kit or starter kit when I first boot it up.
Yeah the full game will still come with the starter kit as there is only one cartridge. I have the full kit and it is just lots of cardboard with one cartridge.

This is really interesting. So it sounds like if I buy the Starter Kit, I may still only have to deal with one cart, and then later on, if/when I got the Expansion Kits, I'd just tell it I now have those and it'd unlock those modes for me. This would make the Starter Kit more appealing to me.

Hopefully someone with the Starter Kit (or eventually an Expansion Kit) can confirm that.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Update: I'm not going to delete my tweet just yet, BUT, I waited for my sick feeling to subside and then tried again with my screen protector pulled off (as one commenter suggested and as I'd theorized about separately). That absolutely helped. I still got to an uncomfortable place somewhat quickly, but it wasn't nearly as "OMG RIP IT OFF" as my first tests felt.

I don't like having a Switch without a screen protector, especially when I'm spinning it around real-life space via Labo VR, and I bet parents are going to unwittingly try Labo VR without thinking about that aspect. But duh, any extra screen alteration is going to make a difference when you add the magnification of VR lenses. That "ugh I should've known" is definitely going in my write-up. Thanks to everyone who's offered kind advice.

I'm glad something helped. I didn't take my screen protector off, but I'm thinking I might need to at some point. Good to know that may cause problems for future trouble shooting.

Been enjoying this Labo VR thing a lot. Even with the limitations, this thing is fun. It just has me craving for more stuff. Thanks for that video about adding a strap. I'm gonna head to Michaels on Monday to look at some materials to add my own strap. I just don't see how we can play stuff like Breath of the Wild without having both hands free. If I come up with something maybe I'll make a little video giving some details.

What did you guys think of the videos they provided? I think the one with the dogs is so damn cute. Heh, heh.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
lol this is what I've been wanting to see.
Nice, gimme some Amazon links for the strap and face mask in a comparable video and we're golden. Will definitely mod mine like this at some point.
Hells yeah. I'm aiming to get a good headstrap and face mask on my VR kit by the time botw comes out. If botw works well with Labo, this is the perfect reason for me to play it again after 2 years.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
Looks like they took their leftover vive strap after upgrading the strap and put It on the labo vr. Which is what I guess I'll do cause I have one of those too.
Yeah apparently you can get a Vive headstrap for 20 dollars on Amazon. I searched ebay for alternatives and there are super cheap VR head straps for about 3 bucks. I don't know how good they are but it's an option.

Edit: added links for anyone interested

Last edited:

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
What's the point of the safety cover if you can't put it on while the joycons are attached? At what point am I ever going to be using this thing with the joycons detached?

When both the Joycon's are attached, the Switch can't fall/slip out of the goggles because the bulbous part of the Joycon with the R or L buttons can't fit through.

When the Joycon's are not attached there is nothing to stop the Switch from slipping out, apart from the sponge tape. So the safety cover has to be used.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
One other thing that could apply to you. For me everything was smudged really badly, and I realized I was getting a ton of additional blur because of my cheap screen protector. I took that off and everything was much clearer. Still very screen doored of course compared to other stuff, but it was night and day.
Was it a glass protector?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK

My eyes and stomach still feel funky. I have an IPD of roughly 61.4mm, on the small side in the "normal" range, but didn't experience anything this uncomfortable with, say, Oculus Quest.

I don't recommend this thing that affects me but not loads of other people. What an unprofessional tweet.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017

And if you're the only one out of your limited group of testers that experiences issues, are you still going to recommend "parents do not subject your kids to this"?

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Got the Toy-Con VR Goggles built and have been having a blast messing around with it! It's evoking memories of trying the Nintendo 3DS for the first time and being introduced to auto-stereoscopic 3D and AR via its built-in apps. Actually I'd say it's a lot like 3DS overall...but with VR, lol. Like, the lower resolution feels kinda like looking at the 3DS's 3D screen, but you're surrounded in it. That's not to say it's bad at all, of course! It feels like a natural evolution of the 3DS in a sense. And getting used to the VR feels very similar to getting used to the 3DS's 3D for the first time; that is, it briefly feels a bit weird at first but with some extended use it becomes totally normal. In fact I probably adjusted to Labo VR even faster 'cause I was already used to 3D from the 3DS. As someone who absolutely loved 3D on the 3DS, I'm just happy that 3D Nintendo content lives on on Switch thanks to Labo VR!

Yup, I thought exactly that. It reminded me of first trying out my 3DS.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

It sounds obvious but make sure you're Switch screen is as clean as possible. No specs, spots, smears & smudges. As this will all get magnified by the goggles.

I don't use a screen protector but I made sure I buffed my Switch screen with a special cloth beforehand.

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
I'm having a great experience without removing my glass screen protector; the motion tracking feels particularly accurate compared to my experiences with Google cardboard using a Nexus 5X. The onboarding software is also more well thought out.

Obviously your milage may vary, but I'm very surprised at how non - nauseating it has been for me so far. I recommend it based on initial impressions (recommendation subject to your own motion sickness tolerance of course).

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
For anyone interested, this elastic google cardboard strap is also an option for about 7 dollars. Only downside is that it's elastic, and has no option for adjusting the length like the 20 dollar Vive strap. The positive is that it would attatch much easier to the Labo VR viewer, as it comes with Velcro with adhesive on it to attatch to the cardboard.

I might go with the Vive strap and buy Velcro with adhesive on it to try to make it work that way.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I've been enjoying my time with the Starter Kit so far; it's a pretty novel VR experience and i'm looking forward to trying to make something neat in the Garage (though it does look a bit daunting).
This is really interesting. So it sounds like if I buy the Starter Kit, I may still only have to deal with one cart, and then later on, if/when I got the Expansion Kits, I'd just tell it I now have those and it'd unlock those modes for me. This would make the Starter Kit more appealing to me.

Hopefully someone with the Starter Kit (or eventually an Expansion Kit) can confirm that.
Yep, it works just like that. When you start the game, it'll ask you what version of the kit you bought. If you choose the Starter Kit, all of the other Toy-Con's modes will be locked, and selecting them will show a screen advertising them. On that screen, you can select "I own it" to unlock the content relating to that Toy-Con.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What I gather is "the games all look like garbage, heavy screen door effect, but it's Nintendo so we love it!"

I'll be ready to pick these up when they inevitably go on deep discount.

Well aside from a trolling comment you're kind of right. But that also goes for a lot of VR to varying degrees

The sense of presence, of solidity of close objects, of depth is still there. The image is soft but actually kind of pleasant - I guess it's RGB stripe so it isn't a 'dotty' screen door effect. And the tracking is pretty damn good albeit limited to 3DOF

But yes the Nintendo part elevates it - I don't think I've seen anything so far that is software Nintendo magic, the games are too small/short for that. But the combination of software and cardware makes a difference.

I think the GameXplain video compared it to 4D cinema which is perhaps a good way to think of it. The tech is relatively low tier but the control mechanisms are less abstracted than other VR headsets and that amplifies the experience. A bit like using the PS Aim controller on PSVR does

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the starter kit and having a good time with it. I noticed the starter kit seems to come with the parts to make the pinwheel gadget? I didn't try to build it yet but looking at the box, there's no mention of this anywhere for the starter kit or the full kit they have pictured. Did I skip somethjnf during the building process where they mention it? (I did kinda skim through a lot of the text)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

It's odd because the early experiences are generally very gentle - the platformer is on a flat plane with you just looking around for instance. The only early one I had an issue with was the sea lion video with them swimming so close it made my eyes go funny

Were you doing any movement other than rotation? That's what made me sell my oculus go quite quickly - any translation movement really made me uncomfortable because of course it wasn't tracked

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the starter kit and having a good time with it. I noticed the starter kit seems to come with the parts to make the pinwheel gadget? I didn't try to build it yet but looking at the box, there's no mention of this anywhere for the starter kit or the full kit they have pictured. Did I skip somethjnf during the building process where they mention it? (I did kinda skim through a lot of the text)
There's a separate wee icon after you build the goggles to build the pinwheel. It's actually a cool wee gizmo.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure how it works for choice - I bought the starter kit + elephant as that looked interesting for positional tracking but I didn't care about looking up a birds butt.

When the software starts it just asks if you have the starter or full set. Er...no option for starter & expansion? I just chose full set

I think the only difference is likely that the starter option locks off some of the 'make' and 'play' choices that require the other packs. So now I have the bird/wind pedal options which I cant make but also the elephant and camera which I can

So you'll be fine - just choose full set when you start up

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone interested, this elastic google cardboard strap is also an option for about 7 dollars. Only downside is that it's elastic, and has no option for adjusting the length like the 20 dollar Vive strap. The positive is that it would attatch much easier to the Labo VR viewer, as it comes with Velcro with adhesive on it to attatch to the cardboard.

I might go with the Vive strap and buy Velcro with adhesive on it to try to make it work that way.

I wouldn't trust my switch to something taped to the cardboard. Labo has plastic rings in the sides clearly for a strap so I'd want something that goes through there. I think you'd also want a top strap due to how front heavy the switch is, and some kind of cushioning around the face gasket

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yeah. That'll do it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have a glass protector on mine and it seems ok? Although the scene looks a bit hairy - will give it a good clean but I'm hoping it's not cardboard fibres

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
For $40 dollars, the VR Starter Kit is an amazing experience. The VR effect is far more immersive than I expected. Playing the 2 platformer minigame, the UFO crane game, and the Blaster games are highlights for me so far. Just now, I got so immersed in the UFO crane minigame, I lock track of my environment and how many times I had spun around in my chair. Of course the screen door effect is present and the image quality isn't as sharp as I'd like but I haven't gotten motion sickness and this VR works with some of these minigames really helping the VR effect shine.

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, are there no "proper" games to play with the joycons connected to the headset? I only saw the VR plaza stuff, and seemed everything in the play menu was for other toy cons. Seems a bit of an oversight to lock all the meatier, game-ier experiences behind the blaster for us starter kit folks.

Maybe I'm missing something, but are the VR demo and VR videos all there is to enjoy with the joycons connected and just using the headset?

EDIT: also, is there any product that could actually fix a small scratch? It's not ruining the experience but if I focus on it it can be a bit distracting.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really considering buying the basic set with the blaster. The positive impressions are swaying me. I wouldn't be able to play with it right away because i want to build and experience the vr set together with my nieces. Will go to my local Euronics later and see if they have it in stock.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
There's a separate wee icon after you build the goggles to build the pinwheel. It's actually a cool wee gizmo.
Yeah I did notice there is the instruction for it, but what I don't understand is the box or the game doesn't seem to really tell you that it includes anything besides the Blaster and the Goggles. Unless I'm missing something obvious.

OP
OP
jts

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quick question, are there no "proper" games to play with the joycons connected to the headset? I only saw the VR plaza stuff, and seemed everything in the play menu was for other toy cons. Seems a bit of an oversight to lock all the meatier, game-ier experiences behind the blaster for us starter kit folks
But the blaster is part of the starter kit.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Wait? What? Being honest about any nausea or related use issues probably has bearing.
You can be honest without resorting to hyperbole.

Besides that person realized the severe issues were caused by leaving their screen protector on aftterwards. So their honest statement was based on a mistake they are going to correct in their actual article.