• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I did notice there is the instruction for it, but what I don't understand is the box or the game doesn't seem to really tell you that it includes anything besides the Blaster and the Goggles. Unless I'm missing something obvious.
All the labo kits have smaller projects like that that aren't really advertised.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
This might be something obvious, but I think I'll throw this out there.

If it looks overly blurry to you then try moving the goggles up and down to find the sweet spot. The sweet spot seems relatively small and for me, I had to hold it a little higher than what felt more natural. The image quality still isn't going to be great, but every bit helps. We also have 2 Switch systems in the house and it's true that the screen protectors have an effect on the image quality as well. The one with a glass screen protector was fine for the most part, but the one with the thin film type of screen protector looked more blurry and grainy.

I think the smearing from moving around is more distracting than the lower resolution (which I think is fine for the most part). The Switch we own are launch units, so I wonder if the new ones are any different.

Last edited:

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I only had an hour last night to build the VR headset and try some of the mini games and videos, but I'm already pleasantly surprised by Labo VR.

The 3D effect isn't as pronounced as on PC VR headsets / PSVR and the screen door effect and blurriness while moving the head are definitely noticeable. But still, this works much better than I expected from the Switch specs and the presentation and amount of content are outstanding.

Can't wait to build some of the more elaborate accessories this weekend with some friends and family.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited about the potential of this being a VR platform for Nintendo, and I really hope this doesn't just remain a one-off for them. Just from these mini games alone, they show that they have a lot to offer this market. The Nintendo polish, charm and thoughtfulness of design is something VR needs.

OP
OP
jts

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited about the potential of this being a VR platform for Nintendo, and I really hope this doesn't just remain a one-off for them. Just from these mini games alone, they show that they have a lot to offer this market. The Nintendo polish, charm and thoughtfulness of design is something VR needs.
Exactly. And with a stronger Switch in the future, a molded headset accessory, official SDK support... the potential is great. Just like Nintendo consoles, it will not be "high end" VR but it will be fun and affordable.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I found the ocean camera quite blurry, get a clearer picture moving the headset away from my face a little bit. So maybe a face cushion would be helpful

Camera works really well - garage VR just seems unfathomable to me so not sure if I'll spend much time with that. Can you use it docked or does it require touch?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Liking it so far. I am yet to build the Blaster.
On some mini-games, they forget to instruct us to remove the safety cap and attach the joycons.
Also, the EU Labo cart doesn't allow us to register for points on My Nintendo.
The cart is the US version for some reason...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Which is harder to build - blaster or elephant? The big builds always put me off - I'd almost prefer printed instructions as the animated ones can drag on (even when speeding up)

Oct 27, 2017
Which is harder to build - blaster or elephant? The big builds always put me off - I'd almost prefer printed instructions as the animated ones can drag on (even when speeding up)

I wish there was a controller shortcut for "jump to next". So many times there are 8 obvious folds, so ya do them all, then ya need to spend 10 seconds fast forwarding.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
My store didn't have any Labo set, had to order one over Amazon. I should get it by tuesday.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Hmmm, having heard a few impressions and watched some videos this does actually look pretty cool.

We often forget how useful the motion technology is and how breaking the switch up into 3 units can lead to some very interesting implementations.

Might wait to see if there's a price drop in future, but definitely going to get this at some stage.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. And with a stronger Switch in the future, a molded headset accessory, official SDK support... the potential is great. Just like Nintendo consoles, it will not be "high end" VR but it will be fun and affordable.

Speaking of the headset I think they are going to come out with a dock revision that acts as both.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I wish there was a controller shortcut for "jump to next". So many times there are 8 obvious folds, so ya do them all, then ya need to spend 10 seconds fast forwarding.

Every so often they throw in a backwards fold to keep thing interesting. I always watch the folds and then do them myself to prevent folding something backwards.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really impressed by the fidelity here. I was expecting it to look pretty rough, but aside from blur when moving it looks pretty good. In particular I'm really pleased the subpixel stuff isn't super visible. Screen door effect is less pronounced than I would have expected too.

Even just the little VR demos are a good bit of fun and I enjoyed building the viewer. Will take on the blaster tomorrow.

Oct 27, 2017
After spending some time with the visor, camera, and elephant kits, I'm confident Nintendo is ready to do great things with VR.
If this thing takes off it would be cool seeing an evolution of this, either a switch revision or a completely new system focused in VR.

It's amazing what they've accomplished with the technology they had to work with and how surprisingly accurate it is.

Resolution is low and the accessories are super gimmicky though, so looking forward to a "proper" system by Nintendo with fully tracked controllers, room scale and all that.

Now I need to build the bird, the wind thing and the blaster!

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I wonder what kinds of wizardry Nintendo could pull off (with, presumably, the enhanced revision's better screen) to actually make the Switch into a full-featured VR experience.

Since they've proven they can make VR work as a concept with this kit, I wonder if they can/will introduce an "enthusiast set" for VR gamers, which would be compatible with Labo VR's basic 3DOF technology, but contain extra features for higher-grade experiences. The big obvious problem they have left to solve - once we've moved past the "terrible screen" a bit - is proper positional tracking. How could they achieve that without overcomplicating it?

My understanding is, whatever a "VR enthusiast kit" from Nintendo would be, it would strictly be a Switch addon, minimizing the entry cost. So basically, an augmented headset, and some joycon attachments that reuse the controls and existing motion-tracking. Momentarily assuming that the new Switch won't have an enhanced dock of some description that could double as an external source of tracking, I would guess that Nintendo could go for inside-out tracking using the tried-and-true IR motion cameras they've been using since the Wii (maybe put stickers in strategically chosen points around the room? some Wii sensor bar equivalents?), but I don't know how that works with hand controllers - I don't know if wands, even powered ones (i.e. think long sticks with several IR LEDs attached like walkie-talkie antennas to each joycon) would be fully accurate for tracking.

Does anyone know if something exotic like Bluetooth-based multi-point positional tracking can be done accurately enough?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I did notice there is the instruction for it, but what I don't understand is the box or the game doesn't seem to really tell you that it includes anything besides the Blaster and the Goggles. Unless I'm missing something obvious.
Ah yeah, they always give you a little more than advertised to help fuel ideas for garage projects.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Since they've proven they can make VR work as a concept with this kit, I wonder if they can/will introduce an "enthusiast set" for VR gamers, which would be compatible with Labo VR's basic 3DOF technology, but contain extra features for higher-grade experiences. The big obvious problem they have left to solve - once we've moved past the "terrible screen" a bit - is proper positional tracking. How could they achieve that without overcomplicating it?

My understanding is, whatever a "VR enthusiast kit" from Nintendo would be, it would strictly be a Switch addon, minimizing the entry cost. So basically, an augmented headset, and some joycon attachments that reuse the controls and existing motion-tracking. Momentarily assuming that the new Switch won't have an enhanced dock of some description that could double as an external source of tracking, I would guess that Nintendo could go for inside-out tracking using the tried-and-true IR motion cameras they've been using since the Wii (maybe put stickers in strategically chosen points around the room? some Wii sensor bar equivalents?), but I don't know how that works with hand controllers - I don't know if wands, even powered ones (i.e. think long sticks with several IR LEDs attached like walkie-talkie antennas to each joycon) would be fully accurate for tracking.

This is what I'm hoping for, maybe with the rumored/speculated 'Pro' unit it would be great if Nintendo released something along the lines of a Gear VR type device. If priced right and supported properly I think it could do fairly well. I don't see Nintendo ever dipping into the med/high end VR landscape.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
The pre launch - post launch Nintendo VR threads once again prove that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on this bit of kit with my kids.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what kinds of wizardry Nintendo could pull off (with, presumably, the enhanced revision's better screen) to actually make the Switch into a full-featured VR experience.
It's really interesting how they have all the elements of a proper VR experience, with the detachable joycons and large portable screen. It makes me wonder if the system was originally designed with VR potential in mind or the Labo guys just took advantage of the elements they were working with.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it works just like that. When you start the game, it'll ask you what version of the kit you bought. If you choose the Starter Kit, all of the other Toy-Con's modes will be locked, and selecting them will show a screen advertising them. On that screen, you can select "I own it" to unlock the content relating to that Toy-Con.
I'm not sure how it works for choice - I bought the starter kit + elephant as that looked interesting for positional tracking but I didn't care about looking up a birds butt.

When the software starts it just asks if you have the starter or full set. Er...no option for starter & expansion? I just chose full set

I think the only difference is likely that the starter option locks off some of the 'make' and 'play' choices that require the other packs. So now I have the bird/wind pedal options which I cant make but also the elephant and camera which I can

So you'll be fine - just choose full set when you start up

Awesome! Thank you for the responses!

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
It's really interesting how they have all the elements of a proper VR experience, with the detachable joycons and large portable screen. It makes me wonder if the system was originally designed with VR potential in mind or the Labo guys just took advantage of the elements they were working with.

That's a great question. Thinking of that....I really miss ' Iwata asks' 😢

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I'm crumbling, I might have to buy this at full price, it does look really cool!

You should go for it. I've had a lot of fun playing with it and the little "text chat" discussions with the other characters in the kit are super informative. They really put a lot of time and effort into this.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I have a question about the lenses, are everyone else's perfectly smooth and shiny? Because if you look closely at mine there's a fine pattern of concentric rings, just want to make sure that's not a defect as it did seem very blurry when I had a go quick go last night.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't trust my switch to something taped to the cardboard. Labo has plastic rings in the sides clearly for a strap so I'd want something that goes through there. I think you'd also want a top strap due to how front heavy the switch is, and some kind of cushioning around the face gasket
This is actually a misconception. Those plastic rings aren't hollow, they're used to secure the plastic lens piece to the cardboard.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is successful and Nintendo does a VB Wario Land remake for it. I will totally get one and get my wife to build it if that happens

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Hearing that the glass screen protectors can cause problems when trying out the VR. If I took mine off, is it still possible to put back on or do I have to buy another one?

Oct 25, 2017
You can be honest without resorting to hyperbole.

Besides that person realized the severe issues were caused by leaving their screen protector on aftterwards. So their honest statement was based on a mistake they are going to correct in their actual article.
Absolutely nothing they've written before or since is hyperbole, unprofessional or dishonest. This is bad.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
What do you all mean by "screen door"? This is my first VR experience so I don't know what it means.
A "screen door", if I understand the parlance correctly, is some kind of fine-mesh door that is put into a doorframe to prevent insects from getting in.

How it relates to VR is, when you look at a typical LCD display from up-close, magnified, you start noticing the elements that make up the picture, which makes the image look as if you're looking at it through a fine mesh - hence, "screen door effect".

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Got a chance to play around with this last night. Overall, I'm VERY impressed, and if they can handle even the sort of camera interface they used in that first module (with the robot you can jump around with) on "full" game experiences, there could be a lot of titles to benefit. I'd pay full price for a Mario 3D Land/World combo cart that had 3D/VR support. The picture is soft, but I think the image quality is ballpark with high-end cellphone VR. The tap-tap gesture doesn't seem to trigger consistently, but that's a minor quibble.

That said, any sort of meaningful head movement blurs everything to a disorienting amount. I assume that's just the limit of moving that many degrees on a 60hz screen. Stationary experiences would be best suited (thank goodness for swivel office chairs).

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I've not had an issue? We're there supposed to be issues?
A post in this thread mentioned their screen protector gave them nausea the minute they tried it due to dust and other stuff magnified by the goggles making the image blurrier. I'm about to go out and get the starter kit, but I just wanted to check if anyone else had the same issues.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely nothing they've written before or since is hyperbole, unprofessional or dishonest. This is bad.
Why are you resorting to Trumpian spin?

The guy went from be careful subjecting your children to this to I'll leave my bad post up, it is fine once I removed the screen protector.

I even characterized his admission as a simple mistake and you go on to act as if he said something unprofessional or dishonest. Hyperbole's definition doesn't extend to those words.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
A post in this thread mentioned their screen protector gave them nausea the minute they tried it due to dust and other stuff magnified by the goggles making the image blurrier. I'm about to go out and get the starter kit, but I just wanted to check if anyone else had the same issues.
Yeah I have the official screen protector, and it sucks to use VR that way because of the dirt.
I don't think we can put the protector back on once we remove it.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017

My screen protector is on and I haven't had any issues. My wife and cousin tried it and haven't had any issues. I would say just make sure your screen protector is clean before you put it into the VR housing.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018

I had issues with dust, but that's because I don't maintain my Switch :p

But I just used screen cleaner and soft cloth which fixed things, although the dirt just ruined the immersion slightly.

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you resorting to Trumpian spin?

The guy went from be careful subjecting your children to this to I'll leave my bad post up, it is fine once I removed the screen protector.

I even characterized his admission as a simple mistake and you go on to act as if he said something unprofessional or dishonest. Hyperbole's definition doesn't extend to those words.
Trumpian spin, huh? Now that is some bonafide hyperbole. I thought I was still replying to Boy Wonder's dissmissing, sorry.

Oct 27, 2017
Just built the goggles with the kid. Uses plenty of felt stickers and a cardboard overlay lock so there's no slip or movement of the tablet out of the thing. Goggles are installed without your fingers coming near the lenses at all. Once the switch goes into "vr mode" and you look through it, it just works. More grid-like/"screen-door" like than psvr, but not bothersome in the least.

This is the first labo kit where my kid wants to go straight to the discovery section and the garage. Doesn't even want to build the blastsr yet.