• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
A "screen door", if I understand the parlance correctly, is some kind of fine-mesh door that is put into a doorframe to prevent insects from getting in.

How it relates to VR is, when you look at a typical LCD display from up-close, magnified, you start noticing the elements that make up the picture, which makes the image look as if you're looking at it through a fine mesh - hence, "screen door effect".

It's like having a screen door mesh between you and what you are looking at in VR

Okay. Yes, I understand. Thanks.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
My in-laws were over and I made my father-in-law help build the headset. He knows nothing of games or VR so I thought this would be quite different for him. He got a kick out of the whole thing and enjoyed some of the videos.

I gotta say, I knew it'd be low res, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so fuzzy based on all the impressions. Surprised I need my glasses on given I'm near sighted, but I guess that's what the lenses end up doing. Feels fine with glasses on at least.

I was looking forward to playing Zelda in VR and I'll certainly still give it a shot (cause why not), but I already know I'm probably just going to think it's ok.

Labo kits are just so enjoyable, but give me a Switch Pro dammit.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Seems Nintendo have put in some work into the Switch UI supporting VR mode. When a friend comes online, or I adjust the volume, the overlay is front and centre rather than top left.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I wonder how long it's going to take for a third party to create a plastic shell specifically designed around the Switch size specifications (and allowing for Joycons to be attached when needed)?

I have the Labo, I'm just worried about accidentally damaging the cardboard!

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Screw 'Big Old Book' (or whatever its' called - it's on the fourth page, on the second row) in the VR Plaza.

I saw the jumpscare coming and it still got me. It's pretty neat though that if you wanted to make a horror game with the Toy-Con Garage VR you totally could.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've played a lot of games on PS VR using the Aim controller... but there's something so extremely satisfying and tactile about using the cardboard blaster on switch. Even with just board and rubberbands the surprisingly good feedback and pump action it gives it amazing to play with. It's such a fun little thing and like most Labo creations it's creativity blows me away.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long it's going to take for a third party to create a plastic shell specifically designed around the Switch size specifications (and allowing for Joycons to be attached when needed)?

I have the Labo, I'm just worried about accidentally damaging the cardboard!

nintendo-switch-vr-headset.jpg

This is actually some kind of 3D glasses ….thing

https://nsglasses.com/

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So I figured there was no reason certain YouTube videos wouldn't work with this, and gave it a go.

And sure enough, this type works brilliantly. The seperation in this one was a little strong, but I expect there are better ones out there.

Here's a playlist to maybe test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGZ3dtf--Ns&list=RDQMJQzFt-p0ecI&start_radio=1

Edit: Oh this one worked really well. The seperation is spot on for Labo VR, so everything looked great.

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Yeah I have the official screen protector, and it sucks to use VR that way because of the dirt.
I don't think we can put the protector back on once we remove it.
My screen protector is on and I haven't had any issues. My wife and cousin tried it and haven't had any issues. I would say just make sure your screen protector is clean before you put it into the VR housing.
I had issues with dust, but that's because I don't maintain my Switch :p

But I just used screen cleaner and soft cloth which fixed things, although the dirt just ruined the immersion slightly.
Thanks for the information everyone, I do have a single small hair follicle under my screen protector which I am worried about, not sure I can remove it without making the screen protector dirtier. I bought the starter kit and will try it either tonight or tomorrow. Will come back with impressions.

Oct 25, 2017
So I figured there was no reason certain YouTube videos wouldn't work with this, and gave it a go.

And sure enough, this type works brilliantly. The seperation in this one was a little strong, but I expect there are better ones out there.

Here's a playlist to maybe test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGZ3dtf--Ns&list=RDQMJQzFt-p0ecI&start_radio=1

Edit: Oh this one worked really well. The seperation is spot on for Labo VR, so everything looked great.

Thought the video had head tracking. Didn't feel too good, lol

Jagsrock

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty impressed, the robot platforming makes me want a 3d land style Mario game with vr capabilities haha. I went through all the other mini games and definitely feel like this has potential. Gonna probably build the blaster tmrw, looking forward to it.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

How do you get these working? Just in the Switch YouTube app?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

Hopefully Google adds head tracking to the YouTube app, like they did on PS4.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
You can also slide your phone into the labo VR set. It works well with my iPhone xr. Stick a pencil under the phone to prop it to the right height then hold the phone in place like you would with the switch. Works well for Google cardboard videos.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The blaster is pretty awesome.

From the force feedback to the tangibility to ability to aim "down the sights" of the virtual blaster to the projectile tragectory to the physics to the presentation, I'm really satisfied after just playing with it for a little while after finally finishing the build.

It's definitely arcadey (in a good way) and the levels don't take too long, so most of the replayability will be in trying to get the best high score you can, but it definitely sets the stage for the cool potential of Switch VR and is a satisfying taste of what Nintendo can do. It really feels like an attraction you might find at a theme park, like Toy Story Mania!, and really reminds me of Nintendo's gameplay experiments with Nintendoland, but with this, I hope this isn't the last time they try these gameplay ideas.

Portalbox

Oct 25, 2017
So only the Starter Set is available in my country. Is it worth it? Or do you guys think the other creations are much more fleshed out than the blaster?

Oct 27, 2017
Random question, are there 3rd party cardboard kits? Not interested in getting one, just wondering. Nintendo did put the plans online, right?

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
Pretty impressed, the robot platforming makes me want a 3d land style Mario game with vr capabilities haha. I went through all the other mini games and definitely feel like this has potential. Gonna probably build the blaster tmrw, looking forward to it.

I agree, I strangley wanted more of those platforming levels, I put the blaster together today, lots of fun building it and teatin it out, this whole thing is so fucking cool, if only I could send this to my 8 year old self!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Built the VR goggles, was impressed, even with the screen door effect being present, but playing golf with a paddle or watching VR videos or controlling a robot was a lot of fun. Looking forward to building the Blaster.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Not bad Nintendo. Just put this together with my boys and for them it's just as good as the PSVR.

Not too bad at all Nintendo.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I taped a strap onto this thing and it's somehow more uncomfortable than just holding it up myself. I also feel like it could fall apart at any time.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Random question, are there 3rd party cardboard kits? Not interested in getting one, just wondering. Nintendo did put the plans online, right?

Have you been able to find any of the add-on kits? I've been looking for a place online to buy the elephant/camera expansion pack, but can only find the starter kit / full set online.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Well ended grabbing this sooner and went with the Starter Kit.

Gotta say, the visual quality was better than anticipated. Guess had really low expectations, and my only VR experience is with PSVR. But really liked it.

The option to also play non-VR at anytime is a welcome one too.

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
This is my first VR experience and I really like it. I just keep laughing and feeling surprised and scared by things coming close to me. I basically feel like an old man with young people's technology.

I'm definitely excited to try more of the games and build the blaster tomorrow. I found the robot plaayformer game to be very engaging and can see Nintendo making the Mario Odyssey content amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Built and played with the camera off and on today. It's just a great little build and yeah, you immediately want a full featured Pokemon Snap on it to return to.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I made a list of FAQ's for jts and the OP of the thread. Just thought I'd post it in here in case anyone had any they'd like to add:

How long do each of the Toycon builds take?

Nintendo's estimates: VR Goggles: 30-60 mins, Camera: 30-60 mins, Elephant: 60-120 mins, Bird: 90-150 mins, Wind Pedal: 90-150 mins, Blaster: 120-180 mins

What are the technical specs of the Switch? I heard it's not suited for VR.

The Switch screen is 720p with a 60Hz refresh rate. The resolution is just below that of PSVR as well as most mobile VR, while being most comparable to the latter. While that is considered low, and below what many consider the minimum requirements for suitable VR, Nintendo has been able to mitigate most of the biggest fears related to low-performance VR, such as motion sickness. For most, this means that the screen will appear a bit blurry with a noticeable "screen door effect", meaning the separation between individual pixels is pronounced enough to be noticeable, appearing like a mesh screen door over the image. Most have reported that the refresh rate does not cause sickness or discomfort, but moving your head at a fast rate does create a "motion blur" effect, so rather than creating a delayed image that may create a disconnect between what you see and where you feel you should be looking, you will get an image that looks a little smeared. While the effect may not be desirable, when compared to the alternative of potentially provoking discomfort and motion sickness, the end result is that the game is still playable without the unfortunate physical side effects.

Will I get sick?

Motion sickness in VR is a very individual experience that varies from person to person and from game to game. If you know you have any propensity for motion sickness, you may want to take as much caution with this as any other VR experience. Nintendo recommends taking breaks and only playing for a few minutes at a time. Most of the Labo VR experiences are very gentle and don't have much movement that you aren't in control of. The sweet spot for the lenses are pretty big without very strong magnification so even the act of just looking through the lenses to stare at a screen is less likely to cause strain and discomfort. Even the act of holding up the goggles to your face creates an amount of disconnect from the immersion that makes you aware you aren't in the virtual world, which may also help to mitigate potential motion sickness. There has been at least one person reporting a immediate feeling of discomfort, which they have said was helped by removing their screen protector, although it is unclear if this was the cause of their discomfort since others have also mentioned no noticeable change or distortion of their experience caused by their own screen protectors. Ultimately, people have different eyes and different physiology that will create scenarios where some are more susceptible to motion sickness than others, and even then some experiences can allow the discomfort to subside as you get used to it, but it's up to you to decide if a VR experience is right for you.

For those living in the United States and wish to try it out Labo VR for themselves, Best Buy is having a Labo VR demo in-store on April 14th from 11am-2pm local time (check stores for details).

Is Labo VR "real VR"?

Labo VR does not offer the same positional tracking of your body that other VR like PSVR, HTC Vive, or Oculus Rift does. It does have rotational tracking for your head like mobile VR such as Google Cardboard and GearVR offers allowing for a more limited VR experience, but with a similar 3D stereoscopic view of a virtual world.

Does Labo VR have 6 Degrees of Freedom?

6 degrees of freedom in VR refers to tracking along 3 positional axes and 3 rotational axes. Other high-end VR often offers 6 DoF tracking, but Labo only offers 3 DoF. Although the Elephant Toycon expansion does allow for 6 DoF controller tracking in relation to your 3 DoF head tracking, which means you are able to draw in 3D space, but with only 3 DoF head tracking, you aren't able to lean and look around your drawing.

Is there any way to put on a strap?

It does not come with a strap nor are there any signs of a way to attach a strap in the future nor is there an official strap attachment announced. The holes on the side of the goggles are grommets and washers used to attach the lenses to the carboard and not actually holes. Although in true DIY fashion, some have already built their own straps to use their goggles like a headset, but it will need to be something to make yourself.

Can you use the Labo VR goggles with headphones?

Yes, there are cut outs for the headphone jack and the volume controls when the Switch is in the goggles. The sound is also audible when in the goggles without headphones as well since there are small cut outs about where the speakers are in the front of the Switch.

Does it work with glasses?

Yes, there is enough space for glasses.

Do you need to have the Joycons attached to the console to have gyro tracking?

No, there are gyroscopes and accelerometers built into the Switch console itself.

How many Labo VR games are compatible with each Toycon?

The camera, the elephant, and the blaster Toycon each have 2 bigger game experiences a piece. The Bird and Wind Pedal are the exception since they have one game each, as well the game Bird Dash which uses both the Bird and Wind Pedal Toycon together.

Are all the VR Plaza mini games compatible with the Starter Kit?

No, there 48 VR Plaza games compatible with just the Starter Kit. 4 for the Blaster, 4 for the Pinwheel, and 38 that use some the goggles alone, usually with a detached Joycon. Finally, 8 of the games are made to show what types of non-VR games you can make with the new VR Garage.

How many VR Plaza games are compatible with each expansion?

The Elephant has 4 VR Plaza games and the Camera has 4 as well. The Bird and Wind Pedal also are compatible with 4 each.

Is there any other VR content included?

There are 33 short videos to give you a taste of stereoscopic 180 degree video shot for VR.

Is there any way to share games made in VR Garage?

No, there is no online sharing or any other functionality currently in the game that allows any type of sharing of the games you create yourself.

I can't find any of the Expansion Kits in-store? Where else can I buy them?

Nintendo sells the Expansion Kits through their own store:
Elephant/Camera expansion: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...se&productId=prod1000953&categoryId=cat960195
Bird/Wind Pedal expansion: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...se&productId=prod1000954&categoryId=cat960195

Is there any way to replace torn or broken cardboard parts?

Nintendo suggests repairing minor damage with some tape for Labo, but there are pdf files of the cardboard sheets up on line if you wish to produce replacements yourself
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/labo/parts/
As with Nintendo's other Labo kits, they may offer the chance to buy individual parts as replacements on their own store website in the future (currently unavailable):
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat970106&locale=&categoryPage=true

Last edited:

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
I just want to play Zelda like this now. This is my first time with VR and I don't really understand it but I want it to be amazing.

Aorange999

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing works better than I expected. Good job Nintendo. Kind of want a dedicated headset now.
Hopefully a lot of people have this reaction. I have, Rift, Vive, Gear VR and Samsung Windows Mixed Reality but truthfully I was always waiting for Nintendo to bring something out in the VR realm. They have a core understanding of making fun games that I feel a lot of first gen VR has missed. VR gaming is going to be amazing eventually but its going to take companies like Nintendo and Valve to really unlock the potential.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Could Nintendo easily make Metroid Prime trilogy compatible with Labo VR?

Oh damn, I hope so. That would be a reason for me to pick it up for the NS if they decide to do that. Otherwise, I have the steel box for the Wii and I don't see the point in picking it up again...but a VR mode would be and instant buy.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm currently modifying mine, I need a head strap around the top though, I have around my head, it works but not quite as stable as having something on top too!

Last edited:

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I only bought the starter kit and made the goggles... It looked like 4 pages of mini games but the only ones that work with the goggles is the first page.

Besides building the blaster (which will happen in the near future) is there anything else to do with just the headset?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I only bought the starter kit and made the goggles... It looked like 4 pages of mini games but the only ones that work with the goggles is the first page.

Besides building the blaster (which will happen in the near future) is there anything else to do with just the headset?

There's more than just the first page that work with the goggles, to unlock them go to the tutorials section and look for that manhole cover icon at the bottom, its labeled "secret" something or other, that's the intro to the labo garage. More get unlocked after going through the tutorial, also there's ones for the blaster and the pinwheel which are part of the plaza section of mini games.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
There's more than just the first page that work with the goggles, to unlock them go to the tutorials section and look for that manhole cover icon at the bottom, its labeled "secret" something or other, that's the intro to the labo garage. More get unlocked after going through the tutorial, also there's ones for the blaster and the pinwheel which are part of the plaza section of mini games.
Awesome, the starter kit includes the pinwheel? The box just shows the blaster so I didn't think anything else was included. I haven't had time yet to build the blaster.

neroxyr

Nov 14, 2018
Amazon has out of stock for both kits and bestbuy only has the full kit. Seems it'll sell better than any other labo kit. Which one do you recommed?