• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Amazon has out of stock for both kits and bestbuy only has the full kit. Seems it'll sell better than any other labo kit. Which one do you recommed?
I went with the Starter Kit because:
1. I wasn't going to buy it today, but Best Buy had this in stock (last one too).
2. Easier to jump into at $40 and get an idea of what to expect and the quality
3. Space: I still haven't built the house and piano in the first Labo because if that. And I also would like every Labo kit. Just building the goggles to start you can get an idea, try them for Mario and Zelda and store the goggles like any other controller. ( Have PSVR too but currently not connected).
4. You can buy the other kits at cost, so is not like you're saving money buying the $80 full kit, versus spending $40 now, then $20 + $20 later.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I only bought the starter kit and made the goggles... It looked like 4 pages of mini games but the only ones that work with the goggles is the first page.

Besides building the blaster (which will happen in the near future) is there anything else to do with just the headset?

Not until the Mario Odyssey and Zelda updates drop on the 25th.

Amazon has out of stock for both kits and bestbuy only has the full kit. Seems it'll sell better than any other labo kit. Which one do you recommed?

Target.com still looks to have both kits in stock for shipping.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just a heads up - ordered the starter kit on amazon.fr today for 30 euro instead of 40-44 most other shops had it

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Random question, are there 3rd party cardboard kits? Not interested in getting one, just wondering. Nintendo did put the plans online, right?

Last year when Labo was announced I think I heard that Nintendo would put the cardboard plans online for people to download and cut their own.

The Labo VR full kit would be difficult to download plans for the cardboard anyway and cut your own at home. There are 32 sheets of precision cut cardboard, the VR goggles lenses, a bag of rubber bands, reflective stickers and foam stickers and a couple of plastic rings.

Edited: Yes it is possible to download Labo cardboard plans from the Nintendo Japan website.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
So I figured there was no reason certain YouTube videos wouldn't work with this, and gave it a go.

And sure enough, this type works brilliantly. The seperation in this one was a little strong, but I expect there are better ones out there.

Here's a playlist to maybe test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGZ3dtf--Ns&list=RDQMJQzFt-p0ecI&start_radio=1

Edit: Oh this one worked really well. The seperation is spot on for Labo VR, so everything looked great.

Snap! Good shout! Just tried it out with some VR vids of Virtual Boy titles... They actually look great! Very sharp and clear! Much better than the super blurry video included in the Labo VR kit!

The VB resolution seems to be a very good match for the Labo VR; I'm really pleased with how it looks! Its pretty close to the real thing (outside of the chromatic abberation); I'd be very happy to play VB games on this thing!

Make it happen Nintendo! :D

Last year when Labo was announced I think I heard that Nintendo would put the cardboard plans online for people to download and cut their own. But I haven't seen that yet.

They may not be doing that because of piracy. Just a guess.

The Labo VR full kit would be difficult to download plans for the cardboard anyway and cut your own at home. There are 32 sheets of precision cut cardboard, the VR goggles lenses, a bag of rubber bands, reflective stickers and foam stickers and a couple of plastic rings.

They've already done that for all 4 Labo Kits... You can download them all here!

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Modded myself a 3-way strap Labo VR. Was a lot easier than I expected.
Pics:
incollage_20190414_091kj8d.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Not a massive fan of the elephant. The positional tracking is great, and the marble run game is fun. But the limitations on the movement is annoying. The joycon camera is seeing the reflective dots so why couldn't they give you more freedom of movement? I guess they need to add in the IK from the console and left joycon to act as additional data?

Just always feels like you have only an arc of movement. Amplified by some of the marble levels where you need to reach further out

The VR plaza 'make your own FPS' seems to want me to have both joycons removed from the headset and connected wirelessly - but then how am I supposed to hold the headset too?

Damien

Jan 15, 2018
I want it to happen, if only as an excuse to get MPT. Don't know if I could handle long sessions with the goggles like that though.
Oh damn, I hope so. That would be a reason for me to pick it up for the NS if they decide to do that. Otherwise, I have the steel box for the Wii and I don't see the point in picking it up again...but a VR mode would be and instant buy.

If Labo VR compatible Metroid Prime Trilogy is made and well made, I think it could be a Super-Mega-Supra-Giga-Titan-Gargantua - TON!
Can people with programming knowledge give us clues about how feasible it is?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The VR plaza 'make your own FPS' seems to want me to have both joycons removed from the headset and connected wirelessly - but then how am I supposed to hold the headset too?
I think it's because it's a 2D game not meant to be played in VR, like the other VR Plaza games that show the objects on a TV screen or on the Switch screen in handheld mode.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
How does it feel?

I was thinking of a couple other potential designs when adding some of my own straps but I appreciate your simple approach.
I used the same design from the cheap smartphone VR goggles that I got the strap from. It keeps the Labo VR well enough on my head. I think the bigger problem is that my nose is too small for the nose-rest of the goggles wich I still need a solution for to come up with.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is there going to be a topic of Labo VR modifications? If I get one it will probally be closer to the Zelda patch but I have an Idea for the nose padding, Nose Padding for glasses. Would this work for a non altering solution?

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Is there going to be a topic of Labo VR modifications? If I get one it will probally be closer to the Zelda patch but I have an Idea for the nose padding, Nose Padding for glasses. Would this work for a non altering solution?
Maybe they would work. I'll look into further solutions for a nose rest. Hopefully I'll find something simple that is ergonomical and cheap. One of the attempts at nose padding pressed my nostrils together and made ot hard to breathe. But I guess that's the fun of inventing (trying out solutions to find the best one, not suffocating while playing VR Arkanoid I mean).
After all that's what Labo tries to encourage.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe they would work. I'll look into further solutions for a nose rest. Hopefully I'll find something simple that is ergonomical and cheap. One of the attempts at nose padding pressed my nostrils together and made ot hard to breathe. But I guess that's the fun of inventing (trying out solutions to find the best one, not suffocating while playing VR Arkanoid I mean).
After all that's what Labo tries to encourage.
Maybe instead of adding padding around the nose area, you could put the padding between your cheeks and the goggles to have the weight distribute there instead. Either that or have it rest the weight on the bridge of your nose so it's resting on the bony/cartilage part instead of the squishy flesh part.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is consensus good stuff?

Mainly want this in preparation for a Metroid game.
I wouldn't buy it with the expectation of things that haven't been announced. If you want what it is now, pick it up.

Really, as with the other sets, the product is the enjoyment of putting it together and seeing how it works. The games are fun for a bit at least, but they're fun because of how they interact with the Joycons and Toycons. Mario and BOTW VR modes are just a nice bonus, I don't necessarily expect more first-party stuff.

Tbh, if Nintendo keep doing more VR add-ons (hell, even if not) I'd expect someone to make a proper headset for the Switch that will be much better.

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing a lot of the blaster mode.
Surprised at how good/not bad it looks.
The garage kit games, in comparison, look a whole lot worse and gave me a bad first impression.
Makes me want more content like it, Splatoon or Metroid, for example, having an on rails bonus mode.
Also have to wonder if Nintendo is going to try something with Mario. Next 3D Mario is probably next year, will maybe have a captain toad like experience built around VR.
There's a 2D platformer that feels based on the original Donkey Kong, but I'm mostly thinking about how great 3D Land would be on this.
Maybe a Super Mario VR World collection with both it and 3D World.
Levels are pretty short and camera is already made to be static

Oct 27, 2017
The blaster is a hefty project all its own! And the pump-lock mechanism really works.

Can't seem to find the full kit anywhere, I guess I'll have to wait to pick one up for myself.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
God bless Nintendo for this sound track, holy shit the songs in Labo VR are some bops and jams goddamn.

I built the goggles and the camera yesterday and thank god, I don't get sick from it. Had a blast building to the toe-tapping tunes and playing around with the little robot platformer games, and the camera is soooo cool to build and use. My 60+ year old dad's first ever VR experience was taking pictures of fish with a cardboard camera lmao. He was blown away. I guess my expectations for the graphics were so low based on so many people here thinking it would never work, that I'm pleasantly surprised! Yeah it's a bit fuzzy but I expected so much worse. And I looove the pop-in-and-out nature of having to hold it instead of wear it. I still want a strap for things like Mario but otherwise I think they execution for Labo VR itself is excellent.

The next time I visit my folks I'll build the blaster, just didn't have enough time this visit ):

I'd love to see VR modes added to Treasure Tracker (it already has 3D on the 3DS even!), or some kind of depth-of-field added to NSBMUDX or DKCRTF to make them more like the 3DS versions. I wonder if they'd be able to get VR working with Mario Kart? Imagine a Super Mario 3D World port with a Super Mario VR World island added @__@

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone playing this with the amFilm tempered glass screen protector on your Switch? Is it causing you any discomfort? I want to try Labo VR but I don't want to remove my screen protector, lol.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I made a list of FAQ's for jts and the OP of the thread. Just thought I'd post it in here in case anyone had any they'd like to add:
You should add a warning for the glasses that while the system provides room if you notice the lenses are touching the lenses try to create more space or use a different pair of glasses that are flatter because the goggles will scratch the lenses.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone playing this with the amFilm tempered glass screen protector on your Switch? Is it causing you any discomfort? I want to try Labo VR but I don't want to remove my screen protector, lol.

Is that a glass screen protector? Mine is and I'm having no issues with seeing the VR. :)

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The dark horse of the starter set is the propeller. Doesn't take long to make and adds some instant tactility, feels really good to play with as it spins. It's the best short-build mission statement for Labo so far IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how a screen protector would cause discomfort unless they applied it wrong and it's very dirty or something?

I have amFilm since launch

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

As I posted earlier, I had to remove my screen protector in order to not feel sick. Something about the mix of extra dust and extra distance from the VR lenses set off my barf-o-meter. YMMV. If you set up Labo and feel uncomfortable after only a few minutes, take it off; otherwise, you might be fine.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I have a glass screen protector on mine and yeah, you can tell it would be a little sharper without it, but it's fine imo. It's not making me feel sick.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
For my money, the Elephant kit is the absolute star here. It's as close as Nintendo Labo gets to 6DOF and, while awkward, feels much more magical than anything else in the set. I'm stunned that they didn't put Elephant in the "starter" kit instead.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
For my money, the Elephant kit is the absolute star here. It's as close as Nintendo Labo gets to 6DOF and, while awkward, feels much more magical than anything else in the set. I'm stunned that they didn't put Elephant in the "starter" kit instead.

Nice. Looking forward to getting the expansion set. I had so much fun with the starter kit so far I ordered the other 2. But I'm a fan of Labo, having the variety and vehicle kits already.

JUNGLEGAMER

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
I like the elephant but I feel my range of movements gets restricted reaching out and sideways. Perhaps using the joycons freely would be better

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I like the elephant but I feel my range of movements gets restricted reaching out and sideways. Perhaps using the joycons freely would be better

It sure would! But Elephant works within the restrictions of the Joy-Cons, meaning, it has to aim its IR camera at that grid of white dots to have any fine-tuned tracking accuracy. (Otherwise, you're stuck with that obnoxious fake-tracking seen in things like the terrrrrrible boomerang mini-game in Labo VR.) And while Elephant is a bit annoying to juggle, it's essentially a $60 upgrade for existing Switch owners to experience that HTC Vive or Oculus Touch sensation of truly hand-tracked controllers. Not bad!

JUNGLEGAMER

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
It sure would! But Elephant works within the restrictions of the Joy-Cons, meaning, it has to aim its IR camera at that grid of white dots to have any fine-tuned tracking accuracy. (Otherwise, you're stuck with that obnoxious fake-tracking seen in things like the terrrrrrible boomerang mini-game in Labo VR.) And while Elephant is a bit annoying to juggle, it's essentially a $60 upgrade for existing Switch owners to experience that HTC Vive or Oculus Touch sensation of truly hand-tracked controllers. Not bad!
I forgot that! That's why is so accurate

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Someone ought to make a guide for all the House Camera missions because I swear the "Y-You're really going to eat that?" mission is eluding me. Everything he eats gives me the "Fluffballs num nums" (or equivalent) mission instead. What does he have to eat / be eating?! There's only like 6-7 things for him to eat (excl. Jelly Beans/Candies)!

Oct 29, 2017

They wouldn't work when used freely... The reflective stickers are what allow the Joy-Cons to achieve 6DOF positional tracking with the Elephant toy-con... On their own, it's 3DOF only.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

I forgot that! That's why is so accurate

They wouldn't work when used freely... The reflective stickers are what allow the Joy-Cons to achieve 6DOF positional tracking with the Elephant toy-con... On their own, it's 3DOF only.

It only uses the IR elephant face for calibration relative to your body, like the Wii sensor bar in Skyward Sword. You can see for yourself by covering up the camera and watch as it still tracks with the same precision (heck, the camera can't even see the face most of the time anyway, as you tell by the blinking light on the "gun" in game.) It's because it uses the tilt of the Joy-Cons to tell where they are relative to each other since they're locked in place within the trunk. It's brilliant stuff

Last edited:

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
What I really want to know is, will the upcoming (still upcoming for whatever reason, it was slated as far back as Q2 2018) FUZE 4 Nintendo Switch SDK have support for this kind of split-screen VR rendering for Labo VR.

Because unlike the VR Garage, you'll be able to share FUZE-created games between friends, and it does have a 3D engine.

JUNGLEGAMER

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
It only uses the IR elephant face for calibration relative to your body, like the Wii sensor bar in Skyward Sword. You can see for yourself by covering up the camera and watch as it still tracks with remarkable precision. It's because it can use the tilt of the Joy-Cons to tell where they are relative to each other since they're locked in place within the trunk. It's brilliant stuff
Hey Andre I watched the latest GX discussion about Labo VR and you guys seem pretty pumped about it. The VR kits are a steal for what it has to offer I hope Nintendo extends support and we get more vr modes for more games and perhaps some standalone games in VR!

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Crazy to see this thing selling. Have seen the other LABOs all over the shelves forever now, but hard pressed to find just the basic kit, which I managed to snatch up one of the last ones at target.

Also been noticing the other Labo Kits in much more prominent areas in stores.

Excited to try this puppy out