• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Gunpei's sacrifice is finally justified, recognized and redeemed.

And he unfortunately owes a lot of it to Palmer Luckey.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Hey Andre I watched the latest GX discussion about Labo VR and you guys seem pretty pumped about it. The VR kits are a steal for what it has to offer I hope Nintendo extends support and we get more vr modes for more games and perhaps some standalone games in VR!

tenor.gif

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Anyone playing this with the amFilm tempered glass screen protector on your Switch? Is it causing you any discomfort? I want to try Labo VR but I don't want to remove my screen protector, lol.
I have that exact screen protector with a hair follicle constantly in view and had no issues with it. I guess just make sure to clean the screen off beforehand and you should be good to go.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I am having the damnedest time with the UFO and human-faced fish missions on the Camera ToyCon scuba game. The ones where you have to get multiple fish in the same shot are pretty tricky too.

Oct 25, 2017
So far my daughter and I have built the camera and the elephant. The aquarium game isn't terribly interesting but the drawing and marble experiences are pretty cool. We've been having a blast with the little Pictionary game.

I'm surprised at how much resistance the elephant trunk has to it - almost wondering if I somehow hooked up the rubber bands too tight. Is it normal for it to really want to snap back to a folded position?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Buying this on my next salary. Need me some nice pick up and play games. This one seems like the best thing for me now.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
OK, well I'm sold. I'll snap this up once I see the complete set available somewhere.

Bit of an arts-and-crafts theme recently between the Labo VR Kit, Yoshi's Crafted World and Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn!

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
You should add a warning for the glasses that while the system provides room if you notice the lenses are touching the lenses try to create more space or use a different pair of glasses that are flatter because the goggles will scratch the lenses.
It's already been added to the OP but maybe jts can add a warning to that section

Green

Oct 27, 2017
The gun is so genius and satisfying to shoot. There's even this little hatch on the side that you can open to observe the mechanism inside.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
My 6yo boy really like what i let him seen.
It's been short cause VR seem's to be 7+.

For my part i'm surprise how it looks good, better than my Samsung VR. I'm sure Nintendo will offer a better VR soon they seen to understand what kind of experience they can give us.

Can't wait to experience more.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
YEAH ITS AWESOME
Really, this VR is enough to convince me that it's the future, if a $40 cardboard can be this entertaining then I can't imagine what the other more expensive versions are like, having great fun with this so far.

You're going to implode if you every try a HTC Vive, lol.

Like, the Labo VR kit is cool enough, and I'm having fun with it (really, I am! I'm saying all this with much appreciation for what Nintendo has made), but it's actually comparably a really dreadful experience when putting it up against the full on hardcore VR stuff out there. It really is something else.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
For my money, the Elephant kit is the absolute star here. It's as close as Nintendo Labo gets to 6DOF and, while awkward, feels much more magical than anything else in the set. I'm stunned that they didn't put Elephant in the "starter" kit instead.

I'm more surprised they went with the bazooka because I feel like I've met many parents who don't want to buy their kids gun-like toys. Since they're selling everything piecemeal it seems odd they'd make sure everybody had to get the giant bazooka if they wanted any of it.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Labo VR seems to be having a decent sucess in Amazon US. Might end up being a great surprise for Nintendo's Q1, shame we will need to wait until July for official numbers.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018

Like, the Labo VR kit is cool enough, and I'm having fun with it (really, I am! I'm saying all this with much appreciation for what Nintendo has made), but it's actually comparably a really dreadful experience when putting it up against the full on hardcore VR stuff out there. It really is something else.
Yeah probably, there's just a lot of VR goggles on the market so it's kinda hard for me to choose. This kit works surprisingly well, I'm waiting to see how mario and Zelda look on it.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
Guys, are any of you thinking what I'm thinking?

Blaster + googles + robot kit = holy shit!

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

I assume you are using the term "dreadful" when comparing the tech and the freedom of expression in VR like Vive compared to Labo, but it undersells what Nintendo is able to do in their Labo VR games here. For every stellar VR game that takes advantage of the tech and the strengths of the new medium, there are plenty that aren't a fraction as compelling as some of the games on display here.

I'd take an on-rails shooter like the Labo blaster stuff over many VR shooter games that allow me to twist my gun around or dodge that are just way less polished and way less fun. In fact, it just goes to show how much wasted potential there is or how other developers rely on gimmicky interacting with your environment over just making good gameplay when Nintendo can make mobile VR feel so much more compelling.

I have both a Rift and GearVR, and have been able to try other VR as well, and all the tech in the world doesn't make a bad game good, nor do limitations mean games can't work well within those limitations.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening needs LABO VR support. The perspective would be perfect for this
Oh man, VR support for Link's Awakening would be fantastic. That game would be simple enough to pick up and play with the goggles, and VR support would be very much in the spirit of ALBW. Also, since the Zelda team is already implementing VR for BotW, they be of the mind to do the same for LA.

Oct 25, 2017
Worries over the tech seem overstated with how nice the blaster game works and how nice the game ends up looking.
Haven't had issues so far, but I have been taking breaks often.

Interested in seeing how the 30fps BOTW will look/work.
Being able to add a VR/3D mode to most games could be pretty interesting.

Link's Awakening seems like an obvious candidate. Should have no issues tech wise and I imagine looking at a diorama would be a neat use of the tech.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Worries over the tech seem overstated with how nice the blaster game works and how nice the game ends up looking.
Haven't had issues so far, but I have been taking breaks often.

Interested in seeing how the 30fps BOTW will look/work.
Being able to add a VR/3D mode to most games could be pretty interesting.

Link's Awakening seems like an obvious candidate. Should have no issues tech wise and I imagine looking at a diorama would be a neat use of the tech.
I imagine the Zelda team will consider VR for Link's Awakening since they already implemented it for BotW. Luigi's Mansion 3 seems like another candidate, given the series' stereoscopic 3D roots. The original Luigi's Mansion on GCN was designed with stereo 3D in mind.

Oct 29, 2017
I assume you are using the term "dreadful" when comparing the tech and the freedom of expression in VR like Vive compared to Labo, but it undersells what Nintendo is able to do in their Labo VR games here. For every stellar VR game that takes advantage of the tech and the strengths of the new medium, there are plenty that aren't a fraction as compelling as some of the games on display here.

I'd take an on-rails shooter like the Labo blaster stuff over many VR shooter games that allow me to twist my gun around or dodge that are just way less polished and way less fun. In fact, it just goes to show how much wasted potential there is or how other developers rely on gimmicky interacting with your environment over just making good gameplay when Nintendo can make mobile VR feel so much more compelling.

I have both a Rift and GearVR, and have been able to try other VR as well, and all the tech in the world doesn't make a bad game good, nor do limitations mean games can't work well within those limitations.

Labo also has a pretty big advantage in terms of controls... In the fact that Labo can offer a tactile feel with its experiences that you simply cannot get with other VR devices.

Like with the blaster; it actually has a real, working cock & lock mechanism that you can actually feel in-game! Likewise, the HD rumble is used to excellent effect (like in the tennis game demo, you can actually feel the exact location that the ball touches your racket!)

Hell, Labo even includes a working wind machine! Good luck trying to replicate that with a HTC Vive!

There's a lot of potential with this humble cardboard setup that I'd love to see them explore further! (and that I'd like to see 3rd parties take advantage of... I know I've said this before; but I really hope that SEGA/M2 are taking notes for their SEGA AGES series!)

It's not what you have that matters, it's what you make of it.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Yes, absolutely. I'm just saying that if you feel like Labo represents "the future", then trying the Vive is going to be a pretty insane experience.

And while I agree that good tech doesn't make a good game, having precise (and better) tech is really important for a great true VR experience. And to be honest: Like every single minigame in the VR plaza is gimmicky "look, you can lift or interact with stuff", just like we had with "proper" VR a few years back. The meat is in the beefier stuff (like the blaster).

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Labo also has a pretty big advantage in terms of controls... In the fact that Labo can offer a tactile feel with its experiences that you simply cannot get with other VR devices.

Like with the blaster; it actually has a real, working cock & lock mechanism that you can actually feel in-game! Likewise, the HD rumble is used to excellent effect (like in the tennis game demo, you can actually feel the exact location that the ball touches your racket!)

Hell, Labo even includes a working wind machine! Good luck trying to replicate that with a HTC Vive!

There's a lot of potential with this humble cardboard setup that I'd love to see them explore further! (and that I'd like to see 3rd parties take advantage of... I know I've said this before; but I really hope that SEGA/M2 are taking notes for their SEGA AGES series!)

It's not what you have that matters, it's what you make of it.
To be fair, replecating the wind machine probably isnt that hard. You can either make a cardboard that you can step on whenever you want to get a small burst of wind, or have an electric fan with remote on/off. And the HTC Vive controlers also come with haptic feedback ability, which helps with the immersion.

But yeah, the design for Labo VR definitely shows ingenuity :)

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
It's no Vive but consider me impressed!.... for £30 ish the starter kit is of absolutely great value.. and I can't wait to see what they do with Odyssey and Botw..

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
So I have a PSVR and I'm not necessarily interested in this specifically for the VR aspect of it since I can get a better VR experience elsewhere, but I'm mostly interested because I just like building and playing with the Labo Kits. Are the actual gameplay portions of this Labo set worth the money, or is it mostly "entry level VR experiences"?

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I liked the camera with the fishes initially but then got a bit bored because I couldn't find a chunk of the fish..

..I didn't realise until later that if you looked all the way down or up you could either dive into an underwater cave or swim to the surface. Made it much more enjoyable.
Still very limited.. but it was nice to be able to look around 360 degrees without having to worry about leads.

I still can't believe we've not seen a full on scuba game for the PSVR. At least this had more interaction than Ocean Decent.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the builds are all prototypes for future VR games.
The blaster already looks a lot like Splatoon(one of Splatoon's director's is the lead on Labo), but any shooter from Nintendo like Metroid.
Camera is kind of obviously Pokémon Snap and Endless Ocean.
The bird could be a test for flight games like Star Fox and pilot wings.
Elephant Can be like Mario paint or something

I remecer Miyamoto mentioning something about Nintendo looking for unique new inputs to bring back franchises like f-Zero since they couldn't think of anything to make it appealing to a large audience;

Star Fox Zero already felt like a prototype of a VR game. I actually really liked it but the controls were hard to grasp as a dual screen game.
Yesterday I played the Blaster Game's which has a tractor beam picking you up at one point.
Had my feet hanging off a revolving chair, looked down and got goose bumps, it's really cool. Would have to wonder how Star Fox would feel on this.

At least give us Nintendo VR Land 🙄

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I liked the camera with the fishes initially but then got a bit bored because I couldn't find a chunk of the fish..

..I didn't realise until later that if you looked all the way down or up you could either dive into an underwater cave or swim to the surface. Made it much more enjoyable.
Still very limited.. but it was nice to be able to look around 360 degrees without having to worry about leads.

I still can't believe we've not seen a full on scuba game for the PSVR. At least this had more interaction than Ocean Decent.
The thing I figured out yesterday that blew my mind is if you don't the control stick on the front of the camera you'll throw out some bait

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
It's here! Spent half-hour building just a part of the goggles and enjoyed the experience. The way everything is explained, the music, the design, everything. Can't wait to spend more time with it!

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
So I have a PSVR and I'm not necessarily interested in this specifically for the VR aspect of it since I can get a better VR experience elsewhere, but I'm mostly interested because I just like building and playing with the Labo Kits. Are the actual gameplay portions of this Labo set worth the money, or is it mostly "entry level VR experiences"?

Gamexplain did a post-review discussion follow-up for Labo VR that is worth sharing since it does more of a deep dive into the different games, which is something most reviews didn't do or didn't have the time to do beyond initial impressions of building and playing some of the games. It's also helpful in getting an idea of what their ideas on longevity are and what games got old or still entertain them days later. Especially worthwhile for people still on the fence about the content included.

I've built the blaster, the camera, and the elephant and have played about half the games for them and I already think I've spent more time doing the gaming stuff than I did with the Variety Kit, which I also stopped after building the piano and the bike. The games are about as simple as it appears to be from the videos, but there is a bit more depth to some of them than meets the eye that adds replay value. They are also very inventive and charming in their presentation. Just the force feedback from the HD Rumble or the actual Toycons feel especially nice in VR.

If you enjoy building the kits, that is half of Labo already, but luckily, this is on the better end of the Labo kits in terms of the game stuff when you are done. Gamexplain does a better job at describing it, since they've played the other Labo kits and spent more time with the VR kit building everything and playing with all the games. There is certainly value here, and just that you are able to start with just the Starter kit and add on for experiences that appeal to you, I think it's much easier to take the plunge.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
This will probably come off confusing, but I'm simultaneously pleasantly surprised with the product after putting the Blaster together, and further convinced that this format is not worth the effort of adding support to more titles.

I could see the Mario Odyssey DLC being pleasant, but I'm hardly even curious about how BotW in Labo VR is gonna turn out anymore. That's just a firm no. And Metroid Prime Trilogy? Nobody actually wants this on Labo VR as much as they think. Pokemon Snap is about the limit of the type of game I'd be willing to play at length in this.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Man, I wasn't expecting for me to like this thing so much!
I spent my weekend building only the goggles and the Blaster and I felt like a little kid, lol.

I only got the basic pack, but I am now buying the two extra VR packs, and later the rest of the non-VR Labo stuff.

Anyone knows what games (first and 3rd party) are compatible with the Labo kits for now? My list so far:

• Mario Kart 8: compatible with the Vehicle Kit
  • Mario Odyssey: VR Kit
  • Zelda Breath of the Wild: VR Kit
  • Deemo: compatible with the Piano in the Variety Kit
  • Moto Rush GT: compatible with the Vehicle Kit

That's all of them, right?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the builds are all prototypes for future VR games.
The blaster already looks a lot like Splatoon(one of Splatoon's director's is the lead on Labo), but any shooter from Nintendo like Metroid.
Camera is kind of obviously Pokémon Snap and Endless Ocean.
The bird could be a test for flight games like Star Fox and pilot wings.
Elephant Can be like Mario paint or something

I remecer Miyamoto mentioning something about Nintendo looking for unique new inputs to bring back franchises like f-Zero since they couldn't think of anything to make it appealing to a large audience;

Star Fox Zero already felt like a prototype of a VR game. I actually really liked it but the controls were hard to grasp as a dual screen game.
Yesterday I played the Blaster Game's which has a tractor beam picking you up at one point.
Had my feet hanging off a revolving chair, looked down and got goose bumps, it's really cool. Would have to wonder how Star Fox would feel on this.

At least give us Nintendo VR Land 🙄
I don't think they are actual prototypes anymore than the games in Nintendo Land were, unfortunately, and those games actually used Nintendo IP. Even games like Wii Play or Wii Party or the AR games for 3DS introduced game play ideas that should have been expanded upon but weren't.

I agree about bringing back Nintendo Land for VR. If VR is only going to be a limited thing, at least go even further with the mini games.