• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm thinking about getting the starter pack, but mostly cuz i'm interested in the botw and odyssey stuff. how likely is it that other nintendo games get some small VR content as well through updates? do you think botw and odyssey were it?

Oct 29, 2017
i'm thinking about getting the starter pack, but mostly cuz i'm interested in the botw and odyssey stuff. how likely is it that other nintendo games get some small VR content as well through updates? do you think botw and odyssey were it?

I'd be very shocked Nintendo's other first party titles don't end up getting support for it...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be very shocked Nintendo's other first party titles don't end up getting support for it...
i guess it depends how successful it ends up being, if it doesn't do too hot i don't think they would have the incentive to update old games for it. if they do, i hope it's less like what botw is getting and more like odyssey where it's as part of some brand new mode/levels.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
M'y preorder for the full kit (65e here ) is still waiting ....
I can buy the starter kit (30) and the 2 expansions (20 each) and I'll have the exact same set ?

Thanks

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
M'y preorder for the full kit (65e here ) is still waiting ....
I can buy the starter kit (30) and the 2 expansions (20 each) and I'll have the exact same set ?

Thanks
Amazon.fr let me down on my full kit preorder, had to cancel it and buy the 3 kits separately (still on Amazon.fr), got the 3 in the same box, seems to contain everything as the full set.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Okay, I'm officially going insane!!

STILL having problems with the Blaster. Nothing looks wrong inside the thing. I updated my controllers thinking that might help. NOPE! Went into discover and saw there was a section to educate all about the IR camera. Check it out and tested the camera in the right joycon. Even put it in the Blaster to see if it sees everything. Works fine! Then, they have the same kind of IR test in the Discover Blaster section so you can see how it fires. The camera section comes up COMPLETELY BLIND!! It can't even see the relfective stickers! I looked through the back. Nothing is blocking it's view. So is it my joycon or the blaster? WTF is going on?!!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Have you built anything else that uses IR stickers? Do those work? If you haven't, the pinwheel takes 20 minutes at most to put together and would be a simple test to make sure nothings defective in the joycon.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

STILL having problems with the Blaster. Nothing looks wrong inside the thing. I updated my controllers thinking that might help. NOPE! Went into discover and saw there was a section to educate all about the IR camera. Check it out and tested the camera in the right joycon. Even put it in the Blaster to see if it sees everything. Works fine! Then, they have the same kind of IR test in the Discover Blaster section so you can see how it fires. The camera section comes up COMPLETELY BLIND!! It can't even see the relfective stickers! I looked through the back. Nothing is blocking it's view. So is it my joycon or the blaster? WTF is going on?!!!!

If you take the joycon out of the blaster and look through the barrel, can you see the reflective stickers? There's a small piece of cardboard that needs to be punched out that you may have missed?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

So it does see the reflective stickers in the Blaster doing a normal IR camera test but not for the Discover Blaster IR camera check nor in the Blaster game?

If you say there is nothing in the way of all the stickers but the camera is completely blind, either it's the camera, or if it works seeing reflective tape in other games, maybe a glitch in the game. Assuming the Blaster is made correctly, there wouldn't be a problem with the Blaster if the camera sees nothing at all but looking through the barrel you can see all the way to the back.

Last edited:

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
It's funny in every Labo kit the part that bores the reviewers the most is always the one my kid can't get enough of. In this case he wants to play the bird island game where you feed the birds nonstop. On variety kit he probably put 15 hours in the house game.

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny in every Labo kit the part that bores the reviewers the most is always the one my kid can't get enough of. In this case he wants to play the bird island game where you feed the birds nonstop. On variety kit he probably put 15 hours in the house game.

How old is your kid? My two are still pretty young, but have put probably that much into the "little critter house game" as well.

Oldest is almost 6, haven't let her mess with VR, want to do a bit of research first. Was curious what game she'd like most. Making the bird tonight.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Do I've built the snorkel but I can't figure out what it's supposed to be for? Is it just to out on for fun? As far as I can tell it had zero effect on the gameplay of ocean camera.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, are there no "proper" games to play with the joycons connected to the headset? I only saw the VR plaza stuff, and seemed everything in the play menu was for other toy cons. Seems a bit of an oversight to lock all the meatier, game-ier experiences behind the blaster for us starter kit folks.

Maybe I'm missing something, but are the VR demo and VR videos all there is to enjoy with the joycons connected and just using the headset?

Not much on the Labo software alone, but the updates to Zelda and Mario are supposed to give substantial VR content (In the case of Zelda you are supposed to be able to play the full game).

I heard rumors Splatoon 2 might have a VR mode since the last update to it vaguely said it was preparing for a new mode.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Not much on the Labo software alone, but the updates to Zelda and Mario are supposed to give substantial VR content (In the case of Zelda you are supposed to be able to play the full game).

I heard rumors Splatoon 2 might have a VR mode since the last update to it vaguely said it was preparing for a new mode.
Where did you hear those rumors?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Do I've built the snorkel but I can't figure out what it's supposed to be for? Is it just to out on for fun? As far as I can tell it had zero effect on the gameplay of ocean camera.
I believe there are VR Plaza games that use it, but I don't know if there is anything beyond that in the normal camera games, since I haven't built it yet. Similarly, I think the pinwheel is only used in VR Plaza games as well.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this out of stock everywhere? Nintendo didn't anticipate the demand? I mean, I get it based on previous sets (the last one especially), but it's pretty annoying not being able to find this anywhere around here...

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my blaster and got through the crab level. Just amazing fun, but I worry about how well it will hold up (especially the parts the rubber band attach to).

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Mystery finally solved! The IR camera in my right Joycon was only half-working. I got it replaced with a used one at Gamestop (in case that wasn't the problem and I have to return it) and viola!! The game's working great now. It was never the blaster, but the joy con.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
My complete kit arrived today, and I built the goggles. This is my introduction to VR. There's definitely a "screen door" effect, but the sense of presence is striking. I didn't experience any nausea and I didn't need to look away. My arms did get sore, though, lol.

A couple things:

- How do you apply the "safety cap" when you have the Joy-Cons attached? Doesn't seem to fit over it with the Joy-Cons in the way. I just played without it; I'm not sure how it keeps the system safe anyways, lol.

- There's a speck of dust on the lens. I don't mind it much, but if I were to try to remove it, I wonder if I could use one of those pressurized air cans to shoot in through the side, rather than dissembling everything?

In terms of impressions, I only tried the dozen some demo games for the goggles. Basic, but they demonstrate the VR nicely. The videos were neat too, especially the one with the deer. I didn't watch all 30+, though.

I think I'm most impressed by the assembly process. The way the materials are labeled and prepared, and the clarity and wit of the onscreen instructions make it a very approachable and fun process.

I imagine the more elaborate Toy-Cons will take awhile to assemble. Maybe next weekend. Back to Joker in Smash, Cuphead and Yoshi's Crafted World in the meantime!

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
My complete kit arrived today, and I built the goggles. This is my introduction to VR. There's definitely a "screen door" effect, but the sense of presence is striking. I didn't experience any nausea and I didn't need to look away. My arms did get sore, though, lol.

A couple things:

- How do you apply the "safety cap" when you have the Joy-Cons attached? Doesn't seem to fit over it with the Joy-Cons in the way. I just played without it; I'm not sure how it keeps the system safe anyways, lol.

- There's a speck of dust on the lens. I don't mind it much, but if I were to try to remove it, I wonder if I could use one of those pressurized air cans to shoot in through the side, rather than dissembling everything?

In terms of impressions, I only tried the dozen some demo games for the goggles. Basic, but they demonstrate the VR nicely. The videos were neat too, especially the one with the deer. I didn't watch all 30+, though.

I think I'm most impressed by the assembly process. The way the materials are labeled and prepared, and the clarity and wit of the onscreen instructions make it a very approachable and fun process.

I imagine the more elaborate Toy-Cons will take awhile to assemble. Maybe next weekend. Back to Joker in Smash, Cuphead and Yoshi's Crafted World in the meantime!
I think the safety cap is only to help prevent the console from sliding out the sides while no joycon (or toycon) are attached. It's not suppose to fit when the joycons are on the system because it wouldn't be able to slide out with them both attached anyways.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I think the safety cap is only to help prevent the console from sliding out the sides while no joycon (or toycon) are attached. It's not suppose to fit when the joycons are on the system because it wouldn't be able to slide out with them both attached anyways.
Ooo, that makes sense. Thanks. :3

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So we spend way too much time playing the Hippo game. 6 adults trying to figure out the hidden depths of this game. And there are quite a few!

This should not be one of the best VR mini games I've played so far and yet it is.. again, not on a technical level, but it's very fun to discover the tactical possibilities in such a basic mini game.

If you play games against people to figure them out and are competitive, this is an easy recommendation! Especially when you can play it on turns while sitting outside in the garden, drinking a few beers and spent the rest of the time talking. Helps a lot that this there is almost no impact from playing in the sun compared to playing something on a normal screen that's passed around.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Why is this out of stock everywhere? Nintendo didn't anticipate the demand? I mean, I get it based on previous sets (the last one especially), but it's pretty annoying not being able to find this anywhere around here...
I mean, it wasn't long before this launched that people were making threads about the previous Labo kits on deep clearance discount at Target.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
How old is your kid? My two are still pretty young, but have put probably that much into the "little critter house game" as well.

Oldest is almost 6, haven't let her mess with VR, want to do a bit of research first. Was curious what game she'd like most. Making the bird tonight.
My kid is 5 1/2 and I've let him use the VR a little bit, just a few minutes a day so he can see what it looks like.

Jesse

Oct 28, 2017
I just built the blaster and man is that thing awesome!
I still have a bunch of parts left over though, despite building everything that's in the starter kit.l (I built the windmill thing too). Does anyone know what's up with those parts?

Green

Oct 27, 2017

A couple things:

I used compressed air on mine for the same reason. Worked decently.

The building process is a high point for me, others may find it more like work in the way of their game. For me though, the polish and cleverness of the design makes building quite fun.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I'm enjoying this thing very much - just unlocked the hippo game and it looks like a lot of fun, with many shady strategies possible... this will be great for parties.

My only problem it the amount of dust I have been seeing on the lenses. I have tried cleaning both sides with a soft glasses cloth but there is always a lot of dust particles when I put on the glasses. I'm afraid the dust is inside the lens part and is the result of a fault in manufacturing.

I'm afraid to try to clean the lens part - I'm not sure I wouldn't make it worse, and I'm also afraid to break it (not sure you can pull it apart).

Is anyone here having this problem ?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm enjoying this thing very much - just unlocked the hippo game and it looks like a lot of fun, with many shady strategies possible... this will be great for parties.

My only problem it the amount of dust I have been seeing on the lenses. I have tried cleaning both sides with a soft glasses cloth but there is always a lot of dust particles when I put on the glasses. I'm afraid the dust is inside the lens part and is the result of a fault in manufacturing.

I'm afraid to try to clean the lens part - I'm not sure I wouldn't make it worse, and I'm also afraid to break it (not sure you can pull it apart).

Is anyone here having this problem ?

Only dust I'm getting is on the System itself. That's probably what you're seeing?

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Only dust I'm getting is on the System itself. That's probably what you're seeing?

Sadly I double checked and cleaned thoroughly all the lenses (exterior) and the screen itself (and also my glasses haha..)
and I'm quite sure the dust is inside the plastic frame.

I'll triple check when I have a moment - it's not deal breaking as I have fun despite the dust... but when the images are bright it's taking me out of the illusion.

I just built the blaster and man is that thing awesome!
I still have a bunch of parts left over though, despite building everything that's in the starter kit.l (I built the windmill thing too). Does anyone know what's up with those parts?

Some of the parts are stands for the blaster - they speak about it in the "discover" section when they talk about tidying up your LABO toys. I just finished building the blaster and I have a bunch of rubberbands left too. Maybe there are other little toys to make.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Sadly I double checked and cleaned thoroughly all the lenses (exterior) and the screen itself (and also my glasses haha..)
and I'm quite sure the dust is inside the plastic frame.

I'll triple check when I have a moment - it's not deal breaking as I have fun despite the dust... but when the images are bright it's taking me out of the illusion.

You got lens cleaner? Or if you have a screen protector, it could be dust trapped inside the screen protector? Just spitballing ideas.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Or if you have a screen protector, it could be dust trapped inside the screen protector? Just spitballing ideas.

That was it... I looked super close and the speck of dust is in fact behind the screen protector.

Viewed with the lenses the dust seems massive when I can barely see it normally. I'll have to buy another one and change this messy one. My boyfriend put the screen protector in a haste when we got the witch and made a botched job apparently. First time I noticed it.

Thanks to you I can stop trying to clean the lenses - and address the real problem !

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm experimenting a little with the Garage and for how good the instructions were for building the toycons, this was unexpectedly confusing. Many things are unexplained, controls suck and wording is pretty bad even if you know something about programming (maybe the italian language doesn't help).

Oct 27, 2017
I'm experimenting a little with the Garage and for how good the instructions were for building the toycons, this was unexpectedly confusing. Many things are unexplained, controls suck and wording is pretty bad even if you know something about programming (maybe the italian language doesn't help).

Yeah, looks really obtuse. You know about editing the existing VR Plaza programs, right?

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
So the back of the starter kit says 64 minigames to play. Is that 64 total for what comes with the base set? Or 64 for base + all add on VR toycons? If it's the base how do you unlock them in the VR Plaza?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Cracked open my kit and built the goggles. This scratches the same itch that LEGO does and I might spring for the other sets when they go on discount.

Kinda wishing I had gone for the cheaper set though. Oh well, only cost me $65 out of pocket post tax.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Some early impressions:

-I'm in love with the Bird games, the illusion of actually flying across the island is fantastic, especially when approaching big objects, in the caves, etc... I want more of this!

-The video feeding the deer is soooo cute and hypnotic. Couldn't stop smiling.

-After the Virtual Boy video, I want a Virtual Boy Virtual Console (lol) for Switch.

-It's so weird to see those Nintendo employees doing stuff so "close" to me.

-I love playing with gravity in that "experience".

-I can't wait to play Breath of the Wild with this.

-I tried some youtube VR cardboard videos. That Halloween Nightmare experience you posted earlier in this thread is so cool, it made me jump a few times lol.

-I tried several "3D roller coaster" ones since I'm a big fan, and I was very impressed as my body could "feel" the loops and curls and big turns, but in my third "ride" I started feeling some motion sickness so I had to stop. Maybe those videos are not "optimized" for the Switch screen. I didn't feel bad at all with all Labo games/experiences/videos so I'm not sure what happened.

-I already wish more first and third party games to add VR mode (Thumper, Mario Kart, Link's Awakening, Mario Maker 2, Metroid Prime, Xenoblade 2, Layers of Fear, Fast RMX, Bloodstained, Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil 4...)

-We need some kind of "Mario Maker bookmark" option for people to share its VR games to the rest of users.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
So after Labo VR warned me, 10 times in a row, not to take the goggles and look directly into the sun, I got suspicious and thought, "This seems like reverse psychology," and so I went outside and looked into the sun

Now I got Cyclops from X-Men powers and I keep shooting lasers whenever I open my eyes. Can I sue Nintendo?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
So after Labo VR warned me, 10 times in a row, not to take the goggles and look directly into the sun, I got suspicious and thought, "This seems like reverse psychology," and so I went outside and looked into the sun

Now I got Cyclops from X-Men powers and I keep shooting lasers whenever I open my eyes. Can I sue Nintendo?
No, because you admitted that they warned you 10 times but did it anyway. Your post will be used against you.

On the bright side, Dardan Sandiego now wants to marry you.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

A couple things:

So we spend way too much time playing the Hippo game. 6 adults trying to figure out the hidden depths of this game. And there are quite a few!

This should not be one of the best VR mini games I've played so far and yet it is.. again, not on a technical level, but it's very fun to discover the tactical possibilities in such a basic mini game.

If you play games against people to figure them out and are competitive, this is an easy recommendation! Especially when you can play it on turns while sitting outside in the garden, drinking a few beers and spent the rest of the time talking. Helps a lot that this there is almost no impact from playing in the sun compared to playing something on a normal screen that's passed around.
Some early impressions:

-I'm in love with the Bird games, the illusion of actually flying across the island is fantastic, especially when approaching big objects, in the caves, etc... I want more of this!

-The video feeding the deer is soooo cute and hypnotic. Couldn't stop smiling.

-After the Virtual Boy video, I want a Virtual Boy Virtual Console (lol) for Switch.

-It's so weird to see those Nintendo employees doing stuff so "close" to me.

-I love playing with gravity in that "experience".

-I can't wait to play Breath of the Wild with this.

-I tried some youtube VR cardboard videos. That Halloween Nightmare experience you posted earlier in this thread is so cool, it made me jump a few times lol.

-I tried several "3D roller coaster" ones since I'm a big fan, and I was very impressed as my body could "feel" the loops and curls and big turns, but in my third "ride" I started feeling some motion sickness so I had to stop. Maybe those videos are not "optimized" for the Switch screen. I didn't feel bad at all with all Labo games/experiences/videos so I'm not sure what happened.

-I already wish more first and third party games to add VR mode (Thumper, Mario Kart, Link's Awakening, Mario Maker 2, Metroid Prime, Xenoblade 2, Layers of Fear, Fast RMX, Bloodstained, Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil 4...)

-We need some kind of "Mario Maker bookmark" option for people to share its VR games to the rest of users.

Geez, these impressions could not be more glowing. I'm so glad you guys are having such a great time with this. Might have to buy this soon. My wallet hates you!