• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DronePhysics

Oct 28, 2017
I worked in construction for 8 years, since I was 18 until a month ago. I've worked as a framer, concrete mason, block mason, and underground utilities (pipes). Everybody talks about the pay but if you're not in a union (no one is in FL) the only way you're making 45K+ is by putting in a lot of overtime. Starting a trade job with no experience will net you a pitiful wage for the work you are doing. Here in Florida, they want to pay new guys 10-12 an hour, have them do the brunt of the work and then wonder why guys don't last. You can go to a trade school but for trades such as Electrician or plumbing (e.g. the better-paying ones), you still need years of schooling to be a journeyman and earn a livable wage.

The sun will fuck up your skin and putting on sunscreen every hour is unfeasible, your joints will start to deteriorate 5 years in, some co-workers will be absolutely unpleasant, and advancement takes ages. Most trades become monotonous after a few years when you stop learning new things.

Racism is also very prevalent. I accepted a job at a rather large company and the first thing I noticed was that literally, all the foremen and project leaders were white meanwhile a good 60-70% of the workforce were minorities, I left in three days since there was no point in trying to work my way up (I'm Hispanic). Black guys and Puerto Ricans are automatically assumed to be lazy unless proven otherwise, and Mexican and other immigrants are looked at as cheap work that can be exploited.

I was making 23$ an hour but it was taking its toll on me physically and mentally. I am also a full-time student so working fulltime in construction was leaving me with a scarce amount of time to relax and rest, and I must say I do not regret my decision at all.

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I can't imagine why a generation who is being denied healthcare as a right would reject working in a hazardous environment

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are beautiful, relatively new homes that are very affordable in many parts of the country. But too many people want to live in California or New York.

Look up homes in places like Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont on Zillow. The younger people are clueless.

Clueless or don't want to live in a shitty place maybe?

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is why so many mason's look like they're 85 by time they're 30.
Yup, and probably the lack of using suncrenn properly and smoking as well.

I was looking at a picture of my grandfather, who was a brick layer, that was taken when I was born. He was my age today, 43. I swear he looked 70 in the pic. I often get looks of doubt when people find out I'm over 40. Most people think in in my early 30s.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
This thread's echoing my own experiences, can't wait to give my two weeks notice tomorrow.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Oct 25, 2017

I was looking at a picture of my grandfather, who was a brick layer, that was taken when I was born. He was my age today, 43. I swear he looked 70 in the pic. I often get looks of doubt when people find out I'm over 40. Most people think in in my early 30s.

My grandfather was a mason as well. He definitely looked old (thought he died at a much older age) but god were his hands like bricks

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Pay more, give better benefits, stop discriminating, offer career paths, etc.

No, let's pay less, force the brute work on the young, don't offer benefits, and wonder why they don't want to stick with it

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Portland is one of the best cities I've ever been to

Would recommend whole heartedly

Interesting. I'd never heard of Portland, Maine. I'll look into it.

You can do that anywhere.

I promise, you cannot.

You can apply this logic and concern to any state without a major metropolitan area. Portland isn't huge but it's still a city. Portsmouth isn't far away either.

Yeah, so? Doesn't make those reasons any less valid. People, especially young people, look for these things.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, so? Doesn't make those reasons any less valid. People, especially young people, look for these things.

You're assuming every young person wants a glamorous nightlife, but not all do. It's why a lot of people from Manhattan and Brooklyn moved into the Hudson Valley / Catskills region. It's why a lot of people end up in Wisconsin, Maine, or Oregon. They have good, virbant cities with things to do but they're also not 24/7 go of Manhattan.

Utah is another example of a place you can apply your "yeah but do they have nightlife" logic too and find out that people do like living there for other reasons.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're assuming every young person wants a glamorous nightlife, but not all do. It's why a lot of people from Manhattan and Brooklyn moved into the Hudson Valley / Catskills region. It's why a lot of people end up in Wisconsin, Maine, or Oregon. They have good, virbant cities with things to do but they're also not 24/7 go of Manhattan.

Utah is another example of a place you can apply your "yeah but do they have nightlife" logic too and find out that people do like living there for other reasons.

Obviously, I'm generalizing, but the original point was why 'stupid young' weren't looking at those places. I just gave valid reasons why a lot of younger people wouldn't be interested

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
When I was a kid I wanted to be a construction worker, but everyone in my immediate and extended family flatly told me NO.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Funny you guys are arguing about Maine considering I work in construction and I'm from Maine.

I travel around a lot working for a general contractor (GC), in the last three years I've lived in Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, and I just moved to Florida, all working on different healthcare projects. In my opinion, the construction field is fucked in many ways until prefab is perfected or they figure out how to do the majority of the harder labor with automation and there are a few reasons for that:

1. Skilled aka trained labor is really hard to come by. My company tries to lock up any mildly competent carpenter we come by. There are a number of little day to day things that pop up that need attention on site from safety issues to unclear instructions from the architect/engineer that a good carpenter can solve due to experience. They also typically can serve as good foreman out in the field.

2. Temp labor companies really dominate the commercial construction field and getting reliable workers from them is tough. They tie laborers up in contracts that make it tough for my company to hire if we find someone we like and they also take a cut of what we pay them hourly, so even if we are paying them $18/hr, they may only get $12/hr before taxes. These laborers will come on site, test the work, if they don't like it they leave after a day and we have to go through the same training/learning process with another person the next day.

3. The work fucking sucks. It really doesn't matter what the environment you are in, if you are exposed in any way it probably won't be ideal conditions. During the summer it is obviously hot, working in the cold is worse though. Working in the rain or where it just rained means that you will have to deal with mud. About half the time of any new building will be spent before the building is closed in fully. Once it is closed in work slows down because you have to be very cautious of your surroundings and other peoples work, especially when finishes start coming in like flooring and paint.

4. Many companies are becoming more focused on safety and safety does technically slow things down barring any accidents.

5. It is a highly male dominated field and there are a lot of opinions flying around and probably just a bit too much testosterone that can make a job site quickly turn into a hostile job site. Work force wise, construction is probably the most diverse industry out there so there is a lot of racism. Competency and having a bunch of different companies jammed into the same space trying to get their work done also causes problems.

6. What technology has come into the industry has been slow to be picked up because there are a lot of old school workers out there that don't want to take advantage of it.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of construction companies pay shit. Don't blame some for not wanting to get in. Better to go out into electrical or plumbing. I think welding is also hiring and pays well.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I have a friend whose boyfriend is in construction. Work isn't consistent, and thus it's hard for them to be able to get time off together and travel.

Oct 25, 2017
6. What technology has come into the industry has been slow to be picked up because there are a lot of old school workers out there that don't want to take advantage of it.

What kind of tech can help things out? I know when I researched foundation repairs I was blown away by how they can do them now from slab jacking to drilling a rod through your foundation into the dirt to create an anchor.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of tech can help things out? I know when I researched foundation repairs I was blown away by how they can do them now from slab jacking to drilling a rod through your foundation into the dirt to create an anchor.

There are a lot of construction management programs out there that you can use on an iPad or computer to have full access to all the drawings, documents, and contacts you need, but most subs don't buy into using them properly.

Then there are some subs that have bought in heavily into BIM (3D modeling of all the plumbing, electrical, air, sprinkler, and other general building layout that includes collision detection and helps prevent problems in the field) and prefab overhead and bathroom racks that have all the needed electrical and plumbing made in a shop somewhere off site and are brought in and installed, and then there are others that refuse to participate or don't have the space to prefab in their shops.

I wasn't necessarily talking about methods of in field construction for specific stuff like slab repair/construction, though there are a lot of new ways to complete those types of tasks in the field now that aren't taken advantage of due to a lack of centralized information.

I have a friend whose boyfriend is in construction. Work isn't consistent, and thus it's hard for them to be able to get time off together and travel.

Ah this is another good reason too add to my list above. Projects end and workers are laid off until the next job. Hours are often weird depending on where you are working and what you are doing. Non-union workers can often be asked to work long hours and weekends and if they don't comply they will be let go for someone who will.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Young people saw their older peers lose their jobs, and they're like FUCKING NOPE.

If you want to attract young people, you need to treat them as more than just disposable workers.

Oct 25, 2017
Then there are some subs that have bought in heavily into BIM (3D modeling of all the plumbing, electrical, air, sprinkler, and other general building layout that includes collision detection and helps prevent problems in the field)

I gotta tell ya, as a home owner knowing i could get something like this and then I didn't would piss me off. It's such a good idea for understanding how it's all fitting together, where everything runs, etc that can really help a home owner out.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur

i heard the only way you can catch a break is for a smoke break (for smaller construction or home improvement jobs). is this true for the big commercial commercial gig?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I'm glad I decided not to become an electrician to be honest, which I almost did. I know it's good respectable work, but similar to construction, I've heard too many stories of how it can destroy your body. I know a woman in her mid 40s who went back to school after being an electrician for 20-25 years and she said she just couldn't take it anymore.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I worked in construction for 8 years, since I was 18 until a month ago. I've worked as a framer, concrete mason, block mason, and underground utilities (pipes). Everybody talks about the pay but if you're not in a union (no one is in FL) the only way you're making 45K+ is by putting in a lot of overtime. Starting a trade job with no experience will net you a pitiful wage for the work you are doing. Here in Florida, they want to pay new guys 10-12 an hour, have them do the brunt of the work and then wonder why guys don't last. You can go to a trade school but for trades such as Electrician or plumbing (e.g. the better-paying ones), you still need years of schooling to be a journeyman and earn a livable wage.

The sun will fuck up your skin and putting on sunscreen every hour is unfeasible, your joints will start to deteriorate 5 years in, some co-workers will be absolutely unpleasant, and advancement takes ages. Most trades become monotonous after a few years when you stop learning new things.

Racism is also very prevalent. I accepted a job at a rather large company and the first thing I noticed was that literally, all the foremen and project leaders were white meanwhile a good 60-70% of the workforce were minorities, I left in three days since there was no point in trying to work my way up (I'm Hispanic). Black guys and Puerto Ricans are automatically assumed to be lazy unless proven otherwise, and Mexican and other immigrants are looked at as cheap work that can be exploited.

I was making 23$ an hour but it was taking its toll on me physically and mentally. I am also a full-time student so working fulltime in construction was leaving me with a scarce amount of time to relax and rest, and I must say I do not regret my decision at all.

I relate to a lot of this honestly. One of my first jobs out of High School was working as a Helper for an Electrician company here. Small company but they had plenty of work. They started me at minimum wage and told me after 90 days they would give me a nice pay raise. I learned a lot and thought I was doing well, the raise after 90 days was 15 cents an hour more. That's it, and the Secretary/Accountant had the nerve to ask if my raise was sufficient..lol

Working your ass off, crawling under houses, getting injured from the job all for I believe was $6 an hour. Mind you this was early 2000s era but still....I stayed though and kept working hoping it would pay off. After 2 years of busting my ass I think I was making $7.50 an hour and finally had enough. Quit and moved on to a different field. Boss even offered me my own truck and wanted me to do my own calls but when I brought up making more an hour I was told no...like I was crazy.

Not exactly a great prospect for your future when you are young. As far as the racism....good god you are not joking. It's insane how bad it is in that field.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
is this "generally well-paid" remark relative, or one of those "i can make it in NYC on $25,000 a year" where you find out they get free rent, healthcare, and allowance from their parents & grandparents.

obviously it's not enough.

oops my bad lol

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 26, 2018
I'm sure immigrant workers would help fill in the gaps. A well paying job would be great for anyone seeking opportunity. The hard part is training and getting over cultural stigma.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My local electrical union pays something like 80k a year and we're in the midwest. Construction can pay very well.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
The entry barrier is sky fucking high.

Better have enough money saved up to go through all the training and years of experience required so you can feed and shelter your family until you make it to a livable wage.

And then you better hope you have connections so you can hop between contracting companies so you don't go months without income after a job is finished.

Oh, and dont get fucking injured while trying to get there.

This is why I don't take contractors on as clients, the vast majority of them are completely fucking out of touch.

"People today just don't want to work".

Okay fuckhead. Sure. I work in reality, I can't work with you, you won't listen to reality.