• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not going to lie, I haven't really loved any of 2019's Nintendo titles. I don't think I finished any of them.

That said, I would happily pay $60 and would play the shit out of Sunshine on my Switch.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Have you watched Arlo's video because he covers this? Re releasing Zelda games isn't for Zelda fans who have already played all the games before and are happy to wait years and years for a new game. They're for people who have been introduced to the series (with BotW for example) and giving them the rest of the series to explore. It's of course impractical to port everything across because it would stop development of new games if that became your whole focus. But Nintendo's pace is glacial.

Quite simply, porting those two games, which lets be honest would not be a massive undertaking, would be a great thing for maybe millions of people and detrimental to nobody. So I don't know why you're weirdly defensive about it. Hell, you're mr Metroid Prime Trilogy.

It's not like there have been no Zelda releases since botw though?

They've had Cadence of hyrule, hyrule warriors switch edition, links awakening remake, plus Zelda 1,2 and lttp on Nintendo switch online.

My personal suspicion is that they're hesitant to have a big 3d Zelda release on switch that doesn't follow BOTWs new conventions , because it was such a sales success and frankly, the old style sales were getting too low to continue in that direction.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so defensive about Arlo videos? Why is his name in the title like a disclaimer? I feel he makes solid content and has an a opinion like everyone else. I don't understand why people around here discredit him so much.
Arlo lost all my respect when he celebrated Alpha Dream's probably death because he can't let go of Thousand Year Door. Thousand Year Door is inferior to its original 64 counterpart and I have always personally preferred Mario and Luigi. I emphasized with those that wanted a new PM in the original style but that got lesser and lesser when PM fans decided to take it out on M+L games and made sure I felt like absolute garbage for daring like M+L. He keeps proudly acting like everything needs to be like his nostalgia which makes him blind to the reality of success Nintendo is having in the present.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Arlo's point about how people are averse to starting on a series with a big number is on point. I've never fucked with Pikmin, Metal Gear Solid, or Resident Evil as a handful of examples, due to not wanting to start on 3/4/5 respectively. It's a legitimate hangup for people
Yep. That really messes with me at times and it sucks.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still need to watch the video properly, since I'm curious if Arlo brings this up, but I am going to stress this since I still am not happy about the current arrangement:

Honestly, I still think the way the games are locked behind the Online system is frustrating, because I would rather just purchase the individual games I want. And no, I'm not going to let this go. Why can we literally not have both systems? Games are free to users with Nintendo Online, and users who want to individual purchase them should be allowed to. It absolutely baffles me.

People also constantly continue to tell me "But do you really want to rebuy your games?", and honestly... Yes, somewhat? I missed a lot of eShop VC releases, due to not having the proper systems, and realistically, a lot of this could've been avoided with a proper account system. That aside, more options isn't a bad thing.

That and I still think the Every 5-7 day system that the apps have set up is absolutely bad. I actually tried to force online prior to leaving, only to be locked out the following day when I wouldn't have access to a WIFI connection for a bit. So even if you confirm you accessed the internet that day, it still works on a 5-7 day cycle (forget what the exact number is, but I absolutely did get locked out of the app the following day once I reached outside that cycle).

Either way, more options are good and I don't get why this is an issue. That and the limited window the apps need to be checked and it doesn't even take into account the duration you force access, an update, or when you're online, is also ridiculous.

That aside, yeah, it's not hurting Nintendo, for sure, but... Doesn't mean it isn't worth criticizing them for.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Their legacy content curation sucks, not much else to say. Unfortunately they are also the only company that still really cares about harassing people/websites over emulation. At least the recent collection craze has helped get some games to multiple consoles+PC so they are less likely to be stuck in Nintendo's ecosystem that often does not include backwards compatibility.

Meanwhile between GoG and Steam I can purchase an absurd backlog of classic PC games without any hassle and without the fear of losing said purchases every few years.

Oct 25, 2017
I will say though I disagree with the notion that Wii U doing poorly means that kids around that time haven't had Nintendo content, that's a Gamecube bias against handheld gaming.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
Arlos argument is unfortunately nonsense and out of touch with the actual reality of what happened with the Virtual console. The problem when you dump all your legacy content into a service and charge per game is that 99% of people buy Super Mario Bros NES and nothing else. It doesn't introduce new fans to this amazing catalogue of old games because new fans don't want to play 20 year old "clunky, ugly" games at $5 a pop (only us old die hards do).

However you give them a few games a month for "free" and they mite actually give them a chance and get introduced to some older content that way and then be interested in the future of those series
Dude...he literally explains that in the video.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Arlo lost all my respect when he celebrated Alpha Dream's probably death because he can't let go of Thousand Year Door. Thousand Year Door is inferior to its original 64 counterpart and I have always personally preferred Mario and Luigi. I emphasized with those that wanted a new PM in the original style but that got lesser and lesser when PM fans decided to take it out on M+L games and made sure I felt like absolute garbage for daring like M+L. He keeps proudly acting like everything needs to be like his nostalgia which makes him blind to the reality of success Nintendo is having in the present.
Sympathized*

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
Man that Paper Mario argument at the end, Arlo's becoming a parody of himself at this point

Everything else is fine in theory but weak in practice. His whole argument basically hinges on "porting stuff is easy", which absolutely isn't always true. Nintendo knows what they're doing and his argument just comes off as naive, because if it was as easy and beneficial as he makes it sound they would be doing it, so clearly part of his premise is incorrect
nintendo has made A LOT of bone head decisions just because, they don't make brilliant financial moves at every turn

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
You'd think after running a YouTube channel for so many years, Arlo would make some attempt to expand his audience beyond 25-30 year old white males who loved the Gamecube when they were 10.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know man. In the age of emulation I'm cool. I got the ability to play all my old games better then whatever Nintendo would be able to release

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Their content rollout on NSO is pretty slow but their current performance and sales data doesn't really support his argument at all. And there's plenty in his video that is flat out wrong.

The importance of legacy content also feels pretty overstated here when you consider that the Wii had the most thorough offering of older games (plus full GameCube compatibility) yet it was followed by the Wii U.

Also, I'm still salty you assholes didn't buy Sin & Punishment 2.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought his demographic would skew a bit younger given he's a puppet.
A lot of his stuff is about the "good ol days", Gamecube era nostalgia. Overall narrow range of interests in genres and IPs outside of key Nintendo franchises, which you only have to dig through his channel to see that and how it's repeating extensively. So he caters well to those 30 somethings who are the same as him, who have never branched out beyond the big Nintendo IPs.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I'm always blown away by the ways people will use defenses like "don't question Nintendo, they're making money, they're doing great." It's so... bootlicky?

Arlo's argument is right. It's bananas that video games are the only entertainment media where this is even a question... you don't need to have a cassette player to listen to David Bowie. You can listen to his music on modern devices.

So, why shouldn't it be the same for Star Fox 64, etc? It would be lovely to have that. It would be great!

That's it!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Arlo's point about how people are averse to starting on a series with a big number is on point. I've never fucked with Pikmin, Metal Gear Solid, or Resident Evil as a handful of examples, due to not wanting to start on 3/4/5 respectively. It's a legitimate hangup for people
And a valid one sometimes, for instance playing MGS4 without having played the first three would be incredibly dumb

FF kinda throws a wrench in that though. Stuff like X-2 XIII-2 is easy for the fans to understand but is probably even more confusing to people who don't know the series

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I'm always blown away by the ways people will use defenses like "don't question Nintendo, they're making money, they're doing great." It's so... bootlicky?

Arlo's argument is right. It's bananas that video games are the only entertainment media where this is even a question... you don't need to have a cassette player to listen to David Bowie. You can listen to his music on modern devices.

So, why shouldn't it be the same for Star Fox 64, etc? It would be lovely to have that. It would be great!

That's it!

Are people able to have a discussion without calling everyone who does not agree with them a bootlicker ?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And a valid one sometimes, for instance playing MGS4 without having played the first three would be incredibly dumb

FF kinda throws a wrench in that though. Stuff like X-2 XIII-2 is easy for the fans to understand but is probably even more confusing to people who don't know the series
I feel like a lot of Nintendo games are like that too. My first Pikmin game was 3, and I never felt like I was left in the dark. Their games are very often their own self contained thing.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Release Pokemon GBA to the Switch eShop, Nintendo. It'd be a smart way to incentivise Pokemon Home to the players that prefer those games.

Square Enix have the right idea. They're releasing high quality remakes, remasters, as well as retro ports of older games.

Yeah, no. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD's NPC characters were reused from the PSP game compared to the recreated key characters, environment textures from Final Fantasy VIII remaster were not cleaned up and Chrono Trigger's re-release for Steam was a pile of rubbish.

Square Enix's remasters are good for the most part but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are of "high quality".

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Release Pokemon GBA to the Switch eShop, Nintendo. It'd be a smart way to incentivise Pokemon Home to the players that prefer those games.

Yeah, no. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD's NPC characters were reused from the PSP game compared to the recreated key characters, environment textures from Final Fantasy VIII remaster were not cleaned up and Chrono Trigger's re-release for Steam was a pile of rubbish.

Square Enix's remasters are good for the most part but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are of "high quality".
Which companies do remasters better? SE are amongst the very best. When Type 0 released, actually adding improved character models was unheard of, most just bumped textures and resolutions and that's it. I'd go as far as saying back when it released it was the most effort any PS remaster had received. Then you've got the FFX and FFXII remasters which again go as far as adding new character models, completely re-doing the UI. The Kingdom Hearts remasters which include everything in the series so far. The recent Chocobo's Dungeon remaster added tons of new content, re-directed cutscenes and added new VA. The upcoming Crystal Chronicles remaster is doing the same. Yes the FFVIII remaster sucked, but it was the exception. Chrono Trigger isn't even a remaster but even if it was it was only shit because it's on PC which SE don't care about. And now with the updates it is objectively the best version of the game by far.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legacy releases are for us - the old fans. Legacy isn't important to new fans. A kid today that got introduced to Zelda via BotW is looking to the future releases of the series, not a revisit to the origins with legacy releases. That's why the games are on NSO. Nintendo will make more money for a $20 a yr subscription service than they would selling these games individually -- except for a few rare cases.

Nintendo needs to evolve NSO to a fuller service, but having them rely on their history will do no favors in the long-term because legacy changes with each generation. Move forward, make new fans, and have BotW be what OoT/LttP was for many of us -- an influential game that got them interested in Nintendo.

If Nintendo is to revisit their history, then do so as they have done with Link's Awakening. Reinvision it for modern times and make it a big event.
This is a massive assumption to make, and again it's one other companies have gone on record saying they disagree with. What are you basing this on? Because your whole point revolves around the idea that new fans wouldn't want to play older games in the series.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

That's it!

You can't possibly compare video games to music whose mediums and technologies haven't evolved that much. I mean, a CD pressed 30 years ago can be played in pretty much everything.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I knew this would end up being something about Metroid Prime Trilogy and Paper Mario and I wasn't wrong.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The subscription model is this really modern digital philosophy of making the experience of your brand the core offer at the centre of your business's product/service. Video games seems to be the only industry to make you pay into an experience that never gets delivered. Buying games outright and physical releases will always be the most popular option for gamers at this rate. Blockbuster Video is having the last laugh.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think after running a YouTube channel for so many years, Arlo would make some attempt to expand his audience beyond 25-30 year old white males who loved the Gamecube when they were 10.

3USgt2g.gif

I 100% agree with your statement

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
Ive been low key hoping for OoT to come to the switch .
Just waiting on it but I'm 5 seconds away from playing the 3ds version again.

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I don't really care for anything before the gamecube being added to VC, but playing path of radiance on switch would be excellent. Emulation does exist though, and is better than Nintendo's official emulation in most cases.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get this, there are NES and SNES games and it's really well implemented. I'm sure N64 and Gamecube are coming.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
nintendo has made A LOT of bone head decisions just because, they don't make brilliant financial moves at every turn
Nintendo has made a lot of bone headed decisions, no doubt. Framing that as "they did those just because" is armchair analyst message board bs. They're a gigantic company, they don't do things just because. Whether right or wrong, they make decisions based on something not just because they feel like it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this would end up being something about Metroid Prime Trilogy and Paper Mario and I wasn't wrong.
I knew you'd be hear complaining and watching another Arlo video, yet you constantly moan and groan how you don't like him. For someone you don't like you seem to love watching his videos still and complaining about the same thing in his topics.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arlo is so negative, I'm kinda over it. I prefer Scott the Woz because while he criticizes Nintendo, he's also fun and makes jokes. Arlo should be fun but the muppet pulls you in yet has none of the charm you'd expect.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I knew you'd be hear complaining and watching another Arlo video, yet you constantly moan and groan how you don't like him. For someone you don't like you seem to love watching his videos still and complaining about the same thing in his topics.
Oh, I haven't seen this video, I've just watched the comments here.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

That's it!

Because they're not even remotely the same. The amount of work in moving a master audio recording to a new medium, and the amount of work needed to move a program to a new platform aren't even remotely the same. This is the big flaw in this argument every time someone makes it, or it comes up. Books, Movies, Music, etc are not the same thing as a video game, or other pieces of software.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get this, there are NES and SNES games and it's really well implemented. I'm sure N64 and Gamecube are coming.

I have a Switch for home use and a Switch Lite for portability and if there's no Wifi readily available I can't play any of those games, even if my Lite is designated as the Primary Console.

So no, the implementation isn't that good given the limitations imposed on the software.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Switch for home use and a Switch Lite for portability and if there's no Wifi readily available I can't play any of those games, even if my Lite is designated as the Primary Console.

So no, the implementation isn't that good given the limitations imposed on the software.

While I don't have 2 Switches, you absolutely can play the NES and SNES games offline. I do so with mine on my lunch hour at work all the time, and I have no WiFi at work.