• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
before the Switch came out and I was in high school, the rumors of the Switch being a Nintendo dream machine with all of Nintendo's games (up until wii and ds, I assumed) playable portably was almost as exciting a concept as the new games and even of switching

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell another "I love GameCube and Paper Mario TTYD" video from Arlo??!? Oh wait...I gotta watch this.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is more aware than a random YouTuber on how well legacy content boosts their sales va how much it costs them

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, Nintendo's current strategy for legacy content is bringing in more revenue for them than ever. And I'm sure they'll remaster plenty of GCN/Wii games at $60 soon enough.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
id pay nintendo $30 for Golden Sun on switch, but i gotta settle for paying gamestop instead

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I remember seeing the Switch for the first time and thinking that playing SNES, N64, and Gamecube games on this thing is gonna be a dream. Too bad...

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Surely he knows that Miyamoto most likely isn't the one making these decisions, so that thumbnail is a bit of clickbait.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I can't understand their strategy. They are always after piracy (obviously), but don't make the games available legally.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I've not really dabbled with this person's videos like at all. I've only seen like 3 of their video titles here. Would it be correct to say that he really, really likes GameCube games? Because I'm getting that impression.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd port all the 3D Zeldas over like we saw in that tech demo awhile back.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Based on how the market for classic games has gone stuff like VC doesn't seem to make as much money as people think and Nintendo releases their old content as gap fillers rather than being super big in getting" HD collections" out for all their stuff like certain other companies.

The best bet would probably be hoping for more Classic systems, but the N64 and Gamecube didn't exactly light the world on fire, so that may give them pause.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I remember seeing the Switch for the first time and thinking that playing SNES, N64, and Gamecube games on this thing is gonna be a dream. Too bad...

I learned after the Wii this was a fool's wish. They'd rather reboot their services all over again for a new platform and make the dripfeed even worse.

Oct 28, 2019
Why are people so defensive about Arlo videos? Why is his name in the title like a disclaimer? I feel he makes solid content and has an a opinion like everyone else. I don't understand why people around here discredit him so much.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Based on how the market for classic games has gone stuff like VC doesn't seem to make as much money as people think and Nintendo releases their old content as gap fillers rather than being super big in getting" HD collections" out for all their stuff like certain other companies.

The best bet would probably be hoping for more Classic systems, but the N64 and Gamecube didn't exactly light the world on fire, so that may give them pause.
How has the market for classic games gone?

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
dGcJx0S.gif

I'll never see this on the Switch, be it remaster or just a release. God damn I want to play Pokemon.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
No man Miyamoto singlehandedly ruined Paper Mario so surely this too is his fault
lmao I heard "meeYUHmOtoh" in arlo's voice

edit: "but NEEEOOOOOO, meeYUHmOtoh upended the tea table and said There Will Be No Story In Paper Mario GaMes."

edit2: *bemused chuckle/exhale*

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Why are people so defensive about Arlo videos? Why is his name in the title like a disclaimer? I feel he makes solid content and has an a opinion like everyone else. I don't understand why people around here discredit him so much.
pretty sure his name in the title is just acknowledging that it's the title to his video

nobody's really all that defensive or dismissive about arlo in this thread even, but based on my history with him the stuff he comes up with often just feels wrong, or at the very least misinformed about the nature of the market

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I can't understand their strategy. They are always after piracy (obviously), but don't make the games available legally.

The only Nintendo-published games that aren't really available legally are anything involving licenses and Gamecube software, really. NES, SNES, N64, DS, Wii, GBA, GB, and GBC content are all widely available on the Wii U and 3DS.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix and Capcom have the right idea. They're releasing high quality remakes, remasters, as well as retro ports of older games. Getting their classics on to modern systems and using them to support new releases.

Trials of Mana was supported with Collection of Mana. Dragon Quest XI was supported with DQ1-3. TWEWY Final Mix was a surprising Switch release and if rumours are to be believed, it was to prepare for a TWEWY2.

To use the Zelda example, WWHD and TPHD should have been used to generate fandom for the Zelda series whilst we wait for BotW2.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
before the Switch came out and I was in high school, the rumors of the Switch being a Nintendo dream machine with all of Nintendo's games (up until wii and ds, I assumed) playable portably was almost as exciting a concept as the new games and even of switching

I think this is a big reason why I don't love love the Switch. The reason I liked Wii U despite its myriad of shortcomings was the access to classic games. Without them on Switch, it feels empty as a Nintendo console.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Square Enix and Capcom have the right idea. They're releasing high quality remakes, remasters, as well as retro ports of older games. Getting their classics on to modern systems and using them to support new releases.

Trials of Mana was supported with Collection of Mana. Dragon Quest XI was supported with DQ1-3. TWEWY Final Mix was a surprising Switch release and if rumours are to be believed, it was to prepare for a TWEWY2.

To use the Zelda example, WWHD and TPHD should have been used to generate fandom for the Zelda series whilst we wait for BotW2.
They released Link's Awakening instead.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I really am not interested on his videos, but if the argument is money, i'm pretty sure nintendo makes more of that with NES ans SNES as a download app.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I think this is a big reason why I don't love love the Switch. The reason I liked Wii U despite its myriad of shortcomings was the access to classic games. Without them on Switch, it feels empty as a Nintendo console.
Nintendo could charge a pretty pricey subscription if it had online + way more classic games

I'd love it if I could buy my favorites though. Maybe have the available games on the service cycle, but make any available for purchase at any time?

inb4 "but that's just virtual console with extra steps"

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

We just had remakes of Link's Awakening and Metroid II come out.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Nintendo could charge a pretty pricey subscription if it had online + way more classic games

I'd love it if I could buy my favorites though. Maybe have the available games on the service cycle, but make any available for purchase at any time?

inb4 "but that's just virtual console with extra steps"

I don't mind the NES/SNES games, except for the fact that we don't get them anymore! 2-3 games monthly sucked but at least it was something. They have no incentive to add more because they've already got our money. At least with VC we get games *kinda* regularly so they could get more money.

Nintendo could do great things with the Switch, but they often settle for good enough

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
His general idea is ok, but he ignores the realities of the industry, time and effort required. He uses Metroid Prime Trilogy HD as an example and claims if it comes out next yr that was too long of a wait. Why? It takes time to HD a game, readjust aspects of time, market and consult for release timing, and other variables. Games aren't just readily available from a well. They need to be reworked to run on the hardware.

So? Links Awakening was two and a half years later.
And it was a new release to keep the Zelda fandom occupied during the wait for BotW2. We already got WWHD and TPHD last gen. LA Remake makes far better sense than rehashing those two games again. Link's Awakening is doing exactly what Capcom and others have done. They reached deeper into their history, remade a game for modern times while we wait for the next new entry.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No.
Nintendo has data on how much VC made them over the years and now important to their business it is.

Full Remasters and Remakes seems to be the more viable approach nowadays. But they also don't want to just port everything at once to Switch.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I don't mind the NES/SNES games, except for the fact that we don't get them anymore! 2-3 games monthly sucked but at least it was something. They have no incentive to add more because they've already got our money. At least with VC we get games *kinda* regularly so they could get more money.

Nintendo could do great things with the Switch, but they often settle for good enough
Yeah I'm really fucking sick of waiting for earthbound

I've waited to replay it for almost a year now, almost broke down over the summer and booted up the fucking wii u

logash

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I don't know the source of the quote but I remember someone from Square saying they eventually want to release all their classic games on modern systems. Bring on Chono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man that Paper Mario argument at the end, Arlo's becoming a parody of himself at this point

Everything else is fine in theory but weak in practice. His whole argument basically hinges on "porting stuff is easy", which absolutely isn't always true. Nintendo knows what they're doing and his argument just comes off as naive, because if it was as easy and beneficial as he makes it sound they would be doing it, so clearly part of his premise is incorrect

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So after watching his video his argument is full of flaws and holes imo. First is that I think he greatly overestimated the number of people who were ever interested in VC in the first place. Second is he never really brings up the fact that emulating games takes work and even if you have a good emulator built individual games might react differently to it and so you need to qa each release. I also think the thing he misses is that while old games can hype up new ones, they can also be substitutes for them for some people. Time is finite, and nobody really has time to play all the great new games coming out, let alone all the great old ones as well. This is part of why I think hd remakes and collections have become preferred over virtual console style offerings. They sell at full price so even if the initial cost of making is slightly higher than a VC game, the ultimate return is much greater per copy and they'll probably attract more attention too. Nintendo isn't really losing out if you buy link's awakening on switch over another switch title, but they probably are to some extent if you bought a virtual console LA game for $5 instead

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And it was a new release to keep the Zelda fandom occupied during the wait for BotW2. We already got WWHD and TPHD. LA Remake makes far better sense than rehashing those two games again.
Have you watched Arlo's video because he covers this? Re releasing Zelda games isn't for Zelda fans who have already played all the games before and are happy to wait years and years for a new game. They're for people who have been introduced to the series (with BotW for example) and giving them the rest of the series to explore. It's of course impractical to port everything across because it would stop development of new games if that became your whole focus. But Nintendo's pace is glacial.

Quite simply, porting those two games, which lets be honest would not be a massive undertaking, would be a great thing for maybe millions of people and detrimental to nobody. So I don't know why you're weirdly defensive about it. Hell, you're mr Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like more old nintendo video games on my switch, and i am sad that they feel like they need to drip feed this content to us. To the people who seem to dislike his argument, do you not want more classic nintendo games on switch?