• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I think boardgame cafes, boardgame stores in general, lan cafes are all kinda things made for this problem.

it does suck ass tho. I have one friend with a proper house and that's kinda the hangout spot by default

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The biggest problem in America every time I go back is that public spaces like parks are mostly used for "housing" the homeless and are thus severely neglected.

There is plenty of space for people to hang out, it's just that most "regular" people don't want to use it.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I know me and my friends say weird shit but didn't think housemate would be the one I got called out on. New England area btw.
I live in Massachusetts and I just say roommate to describe people I share an apartment with, even though we all have our own rooms

Never said housemate. My friends say roommate too

E: where in New England are you from lol, never heard anyone say 'package store'

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The vast MAJORITY of bars are essentially a bar, some tables, and maybe TVs that are playing a game or something. Do you only hang out at night clubs or something?

Like I could meet up at about 14 different bars right now within a few miles from my house and sit down and have a conversation for hours. And I live in the suburbs. In a "major city" you probably have 10x the options...
Our bar scene here just sucks and blends into/overlaps with the nightclub scene. And even the ones aimed toward a more casual atmosphere are annoyingly obnoxious and loud. I mean, when the television sets are turned up to 3/4 volume and the sound is distorting, yeah.

I actually agree with previous posters that craft breweries are a more pleasant option compared to bars in this regard. Unfortunately the scene is still in its infancy here and isn't well established.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
so NONE of you have common areas, I am not from the city so I am just trying to imagine these places you all live in and can't seem to understand. My big suggestion was going to be hang at someones house because that is what i always do, but again, not from a big city.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should use your local public library. Most have plenty of meeting/hang out space and there is no expectation of spending money

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Point taken, but if he's that hard up for a free place to hang it at least beats the library like some are suggesting.
You been to a public library recently? Most are great spaces for the public to congregate. I mean they could also go to an indoor mall or a park if there is one nearby, but idk why you are acting as if a library is a bad suggestion.

May 21, 2019
You can obviously find somewhere nice that fits your needs in a city, hospitality is the largest growing sector. Look around more.

And fucking buy a drink to support the place because I hate to burst your bubble but someone was spending money when you were chilling at a friend's house all day, just because it wasn't you doesn't mean it was free.

I think this is a good point, OP. I understand you don't want to spend any money but if you try a little bit I'm sure you can find activities or social venues that are affordable. Although, maybe I can't really speak to this because I live out in the boonies. Absolutely no one I've ever known has wanted to spend time with me out in the country.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
It's more indicative of your living space than it is the times, I think. There are plenty of places to socialize outside of my apartment by me; bars, beaches, parks, my city generally functioning as a hub, etc. However, I used to live in a suburban environment with very little places to go and socialize.

Your environment determines what you can and can't do, unfortunately. I had to more hours away from my mom's home to find a comfortable and affordable living space.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I live in Massachusetts and I just say roommate to describe people I share an apartment with, even though we all have our own rooms

Never said housemate. My friends say roommate too

E: where in New England are you from lol, never heard anyone say 'package store'

CT, we recently hired someone from Colorado and he was so confused when everyone refers to it as package store. Its very common around here, parents always said it too.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Coffee shop, Mall, Park, Library, Restaurant...I don't know. I live in a small condo, but I have a couch and a small kitchen table and have never had a problem fitting people in my place...I'm not having huge parties mind you, but if I were, like if there were 10 or more of us, we'll just go out somewhere. I agree with others that the bigger problem when trying to socialize as you get older is finding the time and just the energy to do so. The space is very low down on the list for me and most people I know in their 20's and 30's.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The biggest problem in America every time I go back is that public spaces like parks are mostly used for "housing" the homeless and are thus severely neglected.

There is plenty of space for people to hang out, it's just that most "regular" people don't want to use it.

Where in the heck are you going. Usually there is one "homeless park" and the rest are wide open to do whatever you want.

Well actually a larger problem is that dog owners use any green space as a dog park and leave their poo everywhere. It's one of the reasons I bought a single family home, so my kids have some green space to play in that isn't filled with dog shit.

Anyway it sounds like you want a condo that has a large communal area but you can't afford a condo. Problem with that is the furniture and ammenities in those communal areas usually gets torn to shit and then when it comes time to replace it none of the residents want to pay the HOA fees to do so. I've seen instances where residents take all the coffee every day or take the whole coffee machine, they use up all the ice so much that the ice machine breaks, the pool cues get stolen, guests try to throw private events in the public space and get mad when other people come in, etc....

Last edited:

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Seems like a very specific problem, I mean most folks can drop two bucks on a coffee or five bucks on a beer to hang out together at a coffee shop or bar/brewery.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get you, OP, it gets even worse when you live somewhere that's not really safe. Outdoors gets thrown out of the question, and the indoors ones are usually expensive and crowded.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
You been to a public library recently? Most are great spaces for the public to congregate. I mean they could also go to an indoor mall or a park if there is one nearby, but idk why you are acting as if a library is a bad suggestion.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but using the library as a hang out space seems antithetical to what is supposed to otherwise generally be a quiet study area.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Even worse for me since I can't drink alcohol anymore. I'll just be tempted if I just go and try and not drink.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where in the heck are you going. Usually there is one "homeless park" and the rest are wide open to do whatever you want.

Well actually a larger problem is that dog owners use any green space as a dog park and leave their poo everywhere. It's one of the reasons I bought a single family home, so my kids have some green space to play in that isn't filled with dog shit.

Anyway it sounds like you want a condo that has a large communal area but you can't afford a condo. Problem with that is the furniture and ammenities in those communal areas usually gets torn to shit and then when it comes time to replace it none of the residents want to pay the HOA fees to do so. I've seen instances where residents take all the coffee every day or take the whole coffee machine, they use up all the ice so much that the ice machine breaks, the pool cues get stolen, guests try to throw private events in the public space and get mad when other people come in, etc....

California and Seattle.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How small is your room OP? I live in like a 12 square foot box in my parents house and I could pack like 9-10 people in here to hang out.