• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Hey guys,
Is it just me or does Tales of Vesperia Definitive edition lacking dolby digital/LPCM 5.1 on all platforms?.

I can only attest for the switch version of tales of vesperia. But I've seen multiple videos of the ps4/xb1/pc and switch that a surround option that's usually in the options menu of Tales of games is not present this remaster(that has been there since the original vesperia release on 360 up until berseria on ps4 last year).

And I've seen some posts on the Steam Community that it's also not present in the PC version. Can people with a surround sound and tales of vesperia on ps4/xb1/pc/switch confirm if that version support surround sound?

Although it seems like Namco bandai skimmed out on surround audio for this remaster. Also why you would call a game that had surround sound in the original release and lacking in the new version a definitive edition is beyond me tbh.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i've got 5.1 in the PS4 version, the constant annoying squarking from a bird near the piers was on a rear speaker and was pretty loud

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
i've got 5.1 in the PS4 version, the constant annoying squarking from a bird near the piers was on a rear speaker and was pretty loud
seSeM76.jpg

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018

why should i check the thread that i made almost a year ago? Problem is that tales of vesperia and la noire both got stereo mixes for whatever reason. Yea my equipment is fine bc i do get surround sound with games like mario odyssey and breath of the wild.

oh thats weird, does the dialogue come from the center channel? Are you sure that its not the stereo sound that is converted to dolby pro logic by your receiver?

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
why should i check the thread that i made almost a year ago? Problem is that tales of vesperia and la noire both got stereo mixes for whatever reason. Yea my equipment is fine bc i do get surround sound with games like mario odyssey and breath of the wild.

oh thats weird, does the dialogue come from the center channel? Are you sure that its not the stereo sound that is converted to dolby pro logic by your receiver?

audio is straight through with no conversion, dialogue comes through on the center speaker

Oct 29, 2017
Probably just Namco cutting corners.

Unlike with Wii and Wii U, Nintendo don't mandate 5.1 audio on Switch; so lots of publishers/developers are cheaping out and are giving Switch owners a raw deal unfortunately :(

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Probably just Namco cutting corners.

Unlike with Wii and Wii U, Nintendo don't mandate 5.1 audio on Switch; so lots of publishers/developers are cheaping out and are giving Switch owners a raw deal unfortunately :(
with wii and wiiu they also didnt. But im kinda get the feeling that devs are cutting 5.1 audio to shrink the filesize down. But then again the audio files are already in the game but its mixed to a stereo signal. If its just that that why didnt they opt for dolby digital instead of lpcm. I know that LPCM is better when not compressing it, but now with switch we are in a weird space. Card shortages/ high prices for carts. Having a 350kpbs DD file is probably waaaay smaller than a 350kbps pcm file.

Do we know if games are outputting in stereo if they dont have lpcm 5.1?(i.e. not LPCM 2.1 that have silent center, and rear left/right channels and cant be decoded with dolby pro logic on a reciever)

Last edited: