• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Quite well!

What that has to do with popularity? Unless Oscars award popularity
Matter of opinion I guess as to how you feel the Academy operates. One could argue it awards talent or impact I suppose. But generally speaking, having an Oscar suggests a certain amount of popularity. A Star is Born was a very popular movie, and given that she was the co-lead, I'd say she's well within the spotlight.

Well Suicide Squad won an Oscar as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Decidedly different scenarios though. She won it for music in a film, and that film reviewed very well. Likewise though, as bad as Suicide Squad was, it was way more popular than it deserved, so that doesn't disprove the question of popularity.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think so too.

Although I wouldn't complain if they sprinkled in some Peter Stormare or something.

lol you can never go wrong with Peter Stormare in anything. xD

They should go for Billie Eilish. She loves games and looks Cyberpunk enough.
i'm sorry for people who wanted her to be in but i'm quiet happy with this
now they can cast
grimes
as the voice for lizzy wizzy

Ooo I'd be feeling these.
tumblr_ol5obmxYtq1rzqtd9o7_500.gif

source.gif

lol my contribution why not

source.gif

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally of the opinion of keeping as few A List Celebrities in a game as possible.

They're expensive as all hell.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
So is not having Lady Gaga in your game proof of anti-LGBTQ? I'm confused what this controversy is about.
Someone made a joke comment about CPDR not hiring Lady Gaga because she has been an ally of the LGBTQ+ community and CPDR has been... questionable at worst but it seems that the cis het crowd catched feelings and started to latch to that comment and now we all waiting for the See Staff Post... thread title change now =/

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm over Grimes but she would have been my choice for pop star in a video game at one point, just not anything with CDPR because they're trash.

I'd love Sofi Tukker to do something for gaming. Both of them have a cool style.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Absolutely the latter. Lots of people don't follow romcoms, popstars, or the oscars. I'm one of them and learned about her acting career in this thread.
That's understandable (Though the movie is a drama). But that's a pretty wide swath of audience: popular movies, popular music, and the Oscars.

Not out of touch just straight.
Oh I'd just love to know what the hell that's supposed to mean.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
And no, if you say "CDPR is anti-LGTBQ" you are claiming that all the people inside the studio are anti-LGTBQ and we have proofs that they are not, but you are going to ignore the proofs because of course.

Hold up, your proof is a picture of the staff going to Pride? Do you actually know what the demographics of Pride generally are?

A looooot of the people that go to pride arent very fond of trans people or LGBT PoC, source being my own personal experience and the experience of friends from across multiple countries. Shitty companies with internal bigotry issues also go to pride. Its a useful events for brands that want to seem progressive. They do not act as "proof" of you being pro-LGBT.

Second of all, no. Saying "CDPR is anti-LGBT" means "CDPR is anti-LGBT". Companies have a mission, vision, and corporate ideas. This is a basic lesson of any corporate communication class, a brand has an image and it can communicate different things.

When Gillette makes a positive ad about masculinity, that doesnt mean that suddenly there are no sexists working at Gillette, this is not how corporations work. Likewise, when CDPR handles LGBT topics poorly, that doesnt mean that CDPR is instantly filled by PiS supporters and anti-trans bigots.

If i say "coke is bad" that doesnt mean that everyone working at Coca Cola is instantly bad. You are ignoring how corporations work in order to, unironically, defend a corporation. CDPR fucked up and their poor handling of these topics have make sure than me (and a few dozen lol) refuse to support the company until they improve.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Criticize the individuals.
Can't, sorry. They're a company, their offenses were made as a company, therefore I will criticize the company. Their actions reflect on the company's image. It's not just John CEO being a dick. It's a case of a marketing representative being transphobic while speaking for the company and leads doing nothing about it. They can change my views on them if they care about it. So far, I don't think they do.
They are also responsible for hiring such people to represent CDPR, especially as we know it wasn't just one person and the Cyberpunk tweet person wasn't fired either. That, with their non-apology and response, suggests it's part of the company culture
Precisely.

What did the leads do? Show us something.

Come on.
Read above.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, people are really fragile when their favorite million dollar companies are criticized. Its pretty clear that CDPR tactictly supports bigotry. Their reaction to previous offenses shows everything you need to know. Its on them to prove otherwise with Cyberpunk which, if it delivers on the promise of trans and nonbinary options, could regain a lot of goodwill.

Some of you really struggle to understand that someone criticizing what "the company" projects doesnt mean that every single person in the company is a nazi, come on now.

They literally compared the LGBT people working there to Milo, not the company. That's fucked

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's understandable (Though the movie is a drama). But that's a pretty wide swath of audience: popular movies, popular music, and the Oscars.

Oh I'd just love to know what the hell that's supposed to mean.

Relax sis, I don't expect straight guys to follow Lady Gaga at this point because she is more of a queer icon now than anything. Just like Charli XCX

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
yeah no way CDPR would be able to afford her, and if they wanted to do extra lines/quests later on it'd be tough to get her back to do them.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's kind of blowing my mind how many people are just assuming the in's on out's of disposable media are common knowledge. Last I knew Gaga was just a pop singer, why would I know she was in a movie, that I'd never be interested in, and have won an Oscar?

I don't even know who most of the alternatepop stars you all are referring to even are.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Their point is that hiring LGBT people does not mean you're an ally. Specially when we don't know the work conditions of said LGBT people.
Food for thought.
That wasn't the original argument though. The argument was that they wouldn't hire a gay icon. Them hiring LGBT people directly contradicts that

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Can't, sorry. They're a company, their offenses were made as a company, therefore I will criticize the company. Their actions reflect on the company's image. It's not just John CEO being a dick. It's a case of a marketing representative being transphobic while speaking for the company and leads doing nothing about it. They can change my views on them if they care about it. So far, I don't think they do.

Precisely.

Read above.

It's cool you have your reasons and that's fair enough. This thread is a shitshow though and I don't want to participate in it. Adieu.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I can't tell whether people are trolling or just that out of touch. This is a person who won an Oscar in 2019.

Some quick stats for 2018-2019

#1 single
#1 album that's multiplatinum and sold over 5 million copies WW
#Album spent 6 months in the US top10
#30 millions monthly listeners on spotify
#nearing 2 billion streams on spotify just for her last album

Gaga is clearly irrelevant in 2019.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their point is that hiring LGBT people does not mean you're an ally. Specially when we don't know the work conditions of said LGBT people.
Food for thought.

Spill the tea.

Also calling yourself an ally and making a rainbow avatar during pride doesn't mean much either. A pet peeve of mine. Donate, do community service in a queer community or use your voting power to earn the ally title.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Just because Alvin Liu says she's not in the game, doesn't mean that she's not going to be in the game.

It wouldn't be the first time a developer has blatantly lied just to keep something a surprise.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hold up, your proof is a picture of the staff going to Pride? Do you actually know what the demographics of Pride generally are?

A looooot of the people that go to pride arent very fond of trans people or LGBT PoC, source being my own personal experience and the experience of friends from across multiple countries. Shitty companies with internal bigotry issues also go to pride. Its a useful events for brands that want to seem progressive. They do not act as "proof" of you being pro-LGBT.

Second of all, no. Saying "CDPR is anti-LGBT" means "CDPR is anti-LGBT". Companies have a mission, vision, and corporate ideas. This is a basic lesson of any corporate communication class, a brand has an image and it can communicate different things.

When Gillette makes a positive ad about masculinity, that doesnt mean that suddenly there are no sexists working at Gillette, this is not how corporations work. Likewise, when CDPR handles LGBT topics poorly, that doesnt mean that CDPR is instantly filled by PiS supporters and anti-trans bigots.

If i say "coke is bad" that doesnt mean that everyone working at Coca Cola is instantly bad. You are ignoring how corporations work in order to, unironically, defend a corporation. CDPR fucked up and their poor handling of these topics have make sure than me (and a few dozen lol) refuse to support the company until they improve.
If the argument is that "CDPR has a company culture that is anti-LGBT", I think it's more than fair to say that marching in a pride parade is a decent rebuttal to that allegation. It doesn't prove that they're perfect allies to LGBT people nationwide, but it does prove that at a corporate level they're accepting of having their brand associated with an LGBT event.

If you insist that participation in a pride parade is evidence of them being anti-LGBT, you may be too far off to rationally discuss this.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
That wasn't the original argument though. The argument was that they wouldn't hire a gay icon. Them hiring LGBT people directly contradicts that
No it doesn't? They are in the EU and have accepted EU money, they aren't legally allowed to not hire LGBT people nor are they allowed to ask it before the interview. What kind of arguement is that? There's a difference between hiring LGBT (which they can't discriminate against, you can't not hire someone for being LGBT, wtf????) and having a culture that supports LGBT.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Relax sis, I don't expect straight guys to follow Lady Gaga at this point because she is more of a queer icon now than anything. Just like Charli XCX

Not going to pretend to understand the slang here, but I think it's reductive to claim that someone who recently starred in a very popular movie would only be followed by folks who follow queer icons. I've heard more people in my sphere mention her in the last year because of that movie than ever talked about her before (People who definitely didn't follow her music).

Lady Gaga remaining an icon within the LGBT+ community doesn't mean people outside of that community wouldn't also follow her.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
There is a big difference between hiring non-public people for your team and casting an LGBT celebrity in your game, though. You will never know who is LGBT in their art or dev team, for instance. They're not poster people for the company, and CDPR can keep it that way if they so desire. They're not required to bring these people to the spotlight. Hiring a big LGBT celebrity is a public statement that is impossible to avoid.
And a company who is not an ally would not make such a statement.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to pretend to understand the slang here, but I think it's reductive to claim that someone who recently starred in a very popular movie would only be followed by folks who follow queer icons. I've heard more people in my sphere mention her in the last year because of that movie than ever talked about her before (People who definitely didn't follow her music).

Lady Gaga remaining an icon within the LGBT+ community doesn't mean people outside of that community wouldn't also follow her.

Dude, it was a joke. You're putting way too much effort into a comment that was part truth part shade. Basically I was being sarcastic.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I mean, the response could be "well its different to hire one individual who you might not even know is LGBT to actually having a gay icon be one of the main artists of your game" but I honestly think that arguing whether or not CDPR would hire LGBT people to be a bit of a useless discussion.

The important thing here is that CDPR has done shady things in the past and it will be interesting if they are actually able to recover their image with CP2077 or if it will just end up being even more bigoted.

If you insist that participation in a pride parade is evidence of them being anti-LGBT, you may be too far off to rationally discuss this.

Sure? but accepting that your brand is associated to a good cause does not mean you are a part of that good cause. Like I said, I know of companies and political parties that go to pride now even if they are plenty of internal bigotry to spare. It gives you progressive points which are all the rage these days, especially if you are a big international company.

I never said that participating in pride is anti LGBT, come on. What I said is that going to it doesnt mean much in the long run. Its up to the company to show its support LGBT people with its actual treatment of workers and such.

To give you an actual example, my mom wants to go to pride and she wouldnt hire trans people.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No it doesn't? They are in the EU and have accepted EU money, they aren't legally allowed to not hire LGBT people nor are they allowed to ask it before the interview. What kind of arguement is that? There's a difference between hiring LGBT (which they can't discriminate against, you can't not hire someone for being LGBT, wtf????) and having a culture that supports LGBT.
So companies in the EU never discriminate? I somehow doubt that. There are easy ways to avoid asking, like looking someone up on social media, which is something I'd imagine an anti-lgbt company to do

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
So companies in the EU never discriminate? I somehow doubt that. There are easy ways to avoid asking, like looking someone up on social media.
So because they didn't actively break the law for which they could lose alot by doing so and hired some LGBT, they aren't anti-LGBT? You don't even have any proof they knew they were LGBT before they hired them, heck, we don't even know if the people at that pride had CDPR's backing to go.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So because they didn't actively break the law for which they could lose alot by doing so and hired some LGBT, they aren't anti-LGBT? You don't even have any proof they knew they were LGBT before they hired them, heck, we don't even know if the people at that pride had CDPR's backing to go.
It makes it unlikely to me that they'd be so staunchly against hiring a gay icon

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather not have too many A-list celebs attached to this, Keanu is enough.