• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Really.
The majority opposed your candidate. To ignore that is to ignore the will of the people. Stop ignoring the will of the people.
No the majority had the most votes. Combining the rest of the field together in a pool of candidates this large is almost certainly always going to fail to reach 50%. Also its funny we keep ignoring that part of the argument is having a bunch of party members in this event just say, eh we'll decide who gets the nom then, which even with your own definition would still be ignoring the will of the people lol.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
"Why would Chuck Todd ask such a stupid question?"

Cut to everybody arguing over answers to said stupid question.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Really.
The majority opposed your candidate. To ignore that is to ignore the will of the people. Stop ignoring the will of the people.

The issue is that it's hard to make the case for the supporters of Bernie that the process isn't rigged if he gets a plurality and he doesn't get the nomination. A significant portion of his supporters will not vote in the general because of it. Other candidates have less of a claim if they didn't get the most votes.

It would destroy the party.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
weird how we're arguing about what bernie said in 2016 when he just said something much better in 2020 and everyone else said the thing he said in 2016 (and, i can't stress this enough, didn't actually do in the end). personally i think we should criticize the people who said it an hour ago, if we're arguing in good faith!
The problem here is not merely what he said, but the obvious hypocrisy behind his change of stance. Probably shouldn't lecture on arguing in good faith if you're going to misconstrue what others are taking issue with.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
The problem here is not merely what he said, but the obvious hypocrisy behind his change of stance. Probably shouldn't lecture on arguing in good faith if you're going to misconstrue what others are taking issue with.
It's frustrating. When Bernie wanted to do this exact same thing when he clearly lost his supporters we're behind it 100%. Funny how the times change.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
that moral argument would be dumb as dogshit though because not checking the box next to bernie's name on a ballot doesn't mean you'd prefer the next best moderate. reminder that the most popular second choice for biden voters currently is bernie (and so it is for warren as well)

putting aside legitimately making a moral argument centered around, fundamentally, annulling a plurarity of votes in favour of a bunch of backroom deals is laughable. make one of pragmatism all you like but no one who says they're merely doing the right thing by the american people in doing so deserve anything but derision
It's not a dumb as dog shit. It's literally why we have run-off elections.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Really.

If those people wanted their voice to be included in the decision then they should have voted for the person who got the plurality. Lumping all the losers together and saying "hey they all lost so their support is a monolith" is MSNBC-brain level shit

which a brokered convention explicitly is not

follow along please

Basically this, yes

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The issue is that it's hard to make the case for the supporters of Bernie that the process isn't rigged if he gets a plurality and he doesn't get the nomination. A significant portion of his supporters will not vote in the general because of it. Other candidates have less of a claim if they didn't get the most votes.

It would destroy the party.
It definitely wouldn't be great for the party. Which is why if Sanders gets the most delegates but not enough to clinch, I think most everyone will fall in line. Easier to move a moderate than a fervent Sanders supporter I'd think.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Every candidate on the stage is in it to win it, OF COURSE they're going to say the thing that benefits them. It would be absolutely nonsensically stupid for them not to. Instead of focusing on hypocrisy (a politician being hypocritical when it suits their needs- whodathunkit!), focus on the question that actually matters. If Sanders (or whoever) gets a plurality of votes but does not win the nomination, how would that influence the chances for Democrats in the general election? In my opinion, it would pretty fucking bad.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm 50min into the debate and Bloomberg is getting destroyed.

However I only just found out Bloomberg is worth $60 billion, if he just spent just $1 billion on the primary, he could do some real damage, he could outspend candidate nearly 10 fold.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
So then why are you bringing it up since this entire conversation is about a brokered convention?
I brought it up because another poster said the idea of not giving a nomination to someone who has failed to secure a majority is dogshit. I said it's not dogshit, and that it is the literal basis of a runoff election. That is not saying the brokered convention is a runoff.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
No one is saying a brokered convention is a run off.

Are you following along?
yes. no one is saying a brokered convention is a run off so why did you bring them up lmao

the post i quoted stated that you could feasibly make a moral argument around the idea that not going with a candidate with a plurality because they do not represent the 'will of the people' (nebulously defined) is just, which naturally assumes that if bernie sanders was not your first choice, your second choice was obviously the next most viable moderate even though that's not actually how people vote. again, the second choice for most biden voters is bernie even though 'logically' it should be a candidate like bloomberg or buttigieg.

a brokered convention is not a runoff and does not actually represent what a majority of voters would actually settle for because none of them are consulted in this process. it's, again, a bunch of backroom dealings and bargains made out of the eyes of the public where the endgoal is to effectively annul a huge portion of votes without the consent of those voters.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I brought it up because another poster said the idea of not giving a nomination to someone who has failed to secure a majority is dogshit. I said it's not dogshit, and that it is the literal basis of a runoff election. That is not saying the brokered convention is a runoff.
Almost everyone in here calling it dog shit is calling it as such because of the way a brokered convention gets figured out, which you continue to ignore everytime we repeat it to you. Youre ignoring half the reason why anyone was calling it dog shit.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
yes. no one is saying a brokered convention is a run off so why did you bring them up lmao

the post i quoted stated that you could feasibly make a moral argument around the idea that not going with a candidate with a plurality because they do not represent the 'will of the people' (nebulously defined), which naturally assumes that if bernie sanders was not your first choice, your second choice was obviously the next most viable moderate even though that's not actually how people vote. again, the second choice for most biden voters is bernie even though 'logically' it should be a candidate like bloomberg or buttigieg.

a brokered convention is not a runoff and does not actually represent what a majority of voters would actually settle for because none of them are consulted in this process. it's, again, a bunch of backroom dealings and bargains made out of the eyes of the public where the endgoal is to effectively annul a huge portion of votes without the consent of those voters.
Your natural assumption doesn't feel very natural at all. I said you could argue that ignoring that a majority did not vote for a candidate is ignoring the will of the people. That's it. I didn't say anything about second choices or the next most viable moderate. It's like you just picked an argument you wish I was having with you and ran with it.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

tenor.gif

I don't think I've ever seen such a massacre before on TV

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
weird how we're arguing about what bernie said in 2016 when he just said something much better in 2020 and everyone else said the thing he said in 2016 (and, i can't stress this enough, didn't actually do in the end). personally i think we should criticize the people who said it an hour ago, if we're arguing in good faith!

Going from "Bernie didn't say that" to "Okay, he said it, but it's not that big of a deal because he didn't actually go through with it" when the other candidates haven't actually gone through with it themselves (and aren't guaranteed to, even if they somehow make it that far) isn't the thought process of anyone who actually gives a shit about arguing in good faith.

I swear, it would kill some of you people to admit that Bernie is actually capable of flip-flopping on an issue.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
You could easily make the moral argument that ignoring the majority who did not vote for a candidate and instead awarding the nomination to the candidate with the plurality is wrong.
you're absolutely right my friend, there's really no way to read this and assume you were implying nothing else about what 'the majority' would want in this situation and i have just been arguing with a strawman

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
And the Dems wont win the general if that happens either (assuming he has the most votes/delegates).

And further probably will destroy their party forever in the process as well.

If he can't win an outright majority and the other candidates decide to shift all their delegates to another unity candidate, then does he really deserve it? The rules are pretty clear as to how things work if all you can pull is a plurality. If you run on the opposite of a unity platform then don't be surprised if people don't want to unify behind you. If you consider compromise a dirty word, then don't be surprised if you're left out of the compromise.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
He did argue that superdelegates should vote against the will of the people and choose him over Hillary and he argued that caucuses were good. He did say those things
His arguments were more nuanced than this. He said in 2016 that superdelegates from states he won should support him as well as states that Hillary won before he entered the race. The latter is pretty questionable but the former is completely reasonable.

In 2017 he argued that caucuses are good because he thought people talking face to face was a good thing for people to do, but that it needed reform because the amount of effort required by voters was disenfranchising them.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Almost everyone in here calling it dog shit is calling it as such because of the way a brokered convention gets figured out, which you continue to ignore everytime we repeat it to you. Youre ignoring half the reason why anyone was calling it dog shit.
I'm ignoring it because it has nothing to do with what I've actually said. I said going to a brokered convention isn't ignoring the will of the people. A majority is required to win the nomination, and if you get to a brokered convention, a majority was not achieved. That's not undemocratic. If you have a problem with how brokered conventions are run, which I think is the argument you want us to have, then that's fine, I don't disagree with you there.

Jun 20, 2019
Don't know why I need to say this again: 2016 was not a brokered convention. Sanders released his delegates before voting started.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If he can't win an outright majority and the other candidates decide to shift all their delegates to another unity candidate, then does he really deserve it? The rules are pretty clear as to how things work if all you can pull is a plurality. If you run on the opposite of a unity platform then don't be surprised if people don't want to unify behind you. If you consider compromise a dirty word, then don't be surprised if you're left out of the compromise.
Fair, but also if you pick a different candidate then what the people voted for by way of shady delegate dealings at a convention then don't be surprised when your entire party gets destroyed because you just lost the majority of progressive voters to an undemocratic party rule and moderates have proven since the start of the 21st century they can't carry dems to victory alone.

I'm ignoring it because it has nothing to do with what I've actually said. I said going to a brokered convention isn't ignoring the will of the people. A majority is required to win the nomination, and if you get to a brokered convention, a majority was not achieved. That's not undemocratic. If you have a problem with how brokered conventions are run, which I think is the argument you want us to have, then that's fine, I don't disagree with you there.
It has nothing to do with what you said, but has everything to do with what the people you were arguing said.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I don't think it's a right or wrong thing honestly. You could easily make the moral argument that ignoring the majority who did not vote for a candidate and instead awarding the nomination to the candidate with the plurality is wrong.

I was against the Sanders' campaign dragging their feet to concession when Clinton obviously had the nomination clinched because I thought that time would have been better spent focusing on the general. I didn't think Sanders was "wrong" per se or immoral. Just a politician trying to win a campaign. Same goes for everyone tonight.

That argument only makes sense if you think you're qualified to speak for every last person who didn't vote for the frontrunner, which is an "interesting" moral stance.

"I know this isn't how they voted and I have absolutely no way of knowing this, but ____ is 1000% the candidate these millions of people would have wanted if we lived in an alternate timeline, so we're giving it to them instead."

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
That argument only makes sense if you think you're qualified to speak for every last person who didn't vote for the frontrunner, which is an "interesting" moral stance.

"I know this isn't how they voted and I have absolutely no way of knowing this, but ____ is 1000% the candidate these millions of people would have wanted if we lived in an alternate timeline, so we're giving it to them instead."
You're arguing against points I didn't make.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Sanders was wrong in 2016 about the delegates and he's right in 2020 about the delegates. And I'm sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that having the lead he currently has makes saying the right thing waaaaaaay easier. It's super convenient. But it's still the right thing. And everyone else running is wrong in the present. I really don't understand why some people are so hyper focused on debating whether or not it's an issue that Sanders changed his mind in the race that he's currently leading. It's fruitless, especially since the question never came up until now anyway. Why that and not the fact that we just had all but one primary candidate say the person with the most delegates (and based on how that math would work out: the most votes by American citizens) shouldn't necessarily be the candidate? That's insane to me. So insane that even Chris Matthews had to pump the brakes and acknowledge that it really sounded like 5 primary candidates just admitted they've probably lost and still think the rules should allow them a chance to be gifted the nomination.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
For someone from outside the US that hasn't seen the debate, things on social media look like this:
Sanders=~Warren>Pete>Kob>>>>>>>Bloomberg.
i've got no idea where to put Biden lol

Is it a fair assessment of what happened?

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Sanders was wrong in 2016 about the delegates and he's right in 2020 about the delegates. And I'm sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that having the lead he currently has makes saying the right thing waaaaaaay easier. It's super convenient. But it's still the right thing. And everyone else running is wrong in the present. I really don't understand why some people are so hyper focused on debating whether or not it's an issue that Sanders changed his mind in the race that he's currently leading. It's fruitless, especially since the question never came up until now anyway. Why that and not the fact that we just had all but one primary candidate say the person with the most delegates (and based on how that math would work out: the most votes by American citizens) shouldn't necessarily be the candidate? That's insane to me. So insane that even Chris Matthews had to pump the brakes and acknowledge that it really sounded like 5 primary candidates just admitted they've probably lost and still think the rules should allow them a chance to be gifted the nomination.
Well you're kind of showcasing why we're discussing it. You're giving brownie points to Sanders for being "right" in 2020...while acknowledging he was wrong in 2016, and likely has only changed his position because it benefits him politically. So why give him brownie points at all? Why chastise the other candidates for a position he held just one presidential cycle ago?