• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
round trip tickets from FL to CA are like $200 Chris could easily just show up every other week, knock out some podcasts and be home in time for MacGyver

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Bob posted some tweets that seem kinda judgmental of Chris' decision, maybe the split wasn't totally amicable? I could be reading into it too much though.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
EDIT: Oh it's not about attacking, Bob just speaking the truth about SF

Last edited:

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
If you read the whole tweet thread, it really seems like Bob is going in on Chris. He references that the LT Patreon makes 132K a year for one person, and that him and Henry manage to live in the Bay Area for much less. He also states he did the first two years of Talking Simpsons for free. It doesn't sound like they're on the best terms at the moment.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Guys we shouldn't fuel to much of the fire now that there's an official announce. bobservo is on resetera so he can probably chime in. Idk. I️ take that's twitter comment as the fact he's happy with where he's at. Not to mention he's been retronauts for years and Jeremy's been out of CA for the last few so retronauts is proof you can make a podcast work despite different locations

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
That twitter thread is a hard read, it's like your mum telling you home truths about your father.

I wonder what has happened? Chris doesn't speak about Matt and Matt still appears with Bob and Hank on shows.

I support both TS and Lasertime and will continue to do so, but I wish they were still friends.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017

This kinda illuminated some things for me. I can see why Bob would feel betrayed, but I think he should be more sympathetic to Chris, I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. And TS owes a lot to LT, no one's given more time and energy to this weird podcast community than Chris.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really liked Bob, but god damn dude. Don't put your own values and dread to go home on other people. Chris had two people from the LT Patreon quit on him to go to real jobs, the guy didn't suddenly shit on them, it was what they wanted to do and he understood it. That directly effected him. Bob's losing a co host that technically isn't a part of the TS Patreon(a show that basically started as a LT Patreon show!), and they've barely showed up on any LT stuff since going on their own, and you want to act like it's some big betrayal? Guy might be having personal life problems, has come to absolutely hate SF, and wants to go home. That continuing work relationship tweet is bullshit, If it was made in reply to something Matt J said, I'd understand it, but Bob? Come on dude, you have two patreon networks and Chris is barely involved other than occasional cohosting.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I won't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes but

This kinda illuminated some things for me. I can see why Bob would feel betrayed, but I think he should be more sympathetic to Chris, I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. And TS owes a lot to LT, no one's given more time and energy to this weird podcast community than Chris.

I'm with Bob on this one, the dude was making six figures, paid Bob in exposure along with the odd table scrap and then just up and left.

I'm just glad TS is able to stand on its own two feet. LT at this point needs to be put out of its misery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... it seems weird to use the money comparison considering we don't know exactly whats going on with people's living situations, hosting cost, and personal lives, etc.

I will be honest, lasertime has to be a lot harder of a show to create considering the amount of research that goes into it, coming up with unique topics, etc. Not to mention that it was also being made in conjunction with 302010 which seems like a ton of work to parse through all the media to find stuff worth discussing, vga, various streams, and bonus time...

Talking simpsons is great, but lets face it... it's just googling lines of the show that have been dissected on wikis and message boards over the years. And while I am enjoying their what a cartoon show, I honestly don't think I need three episodes of a podcast a week of the exact same format. I wish once they got the third show funded, what a cartoon replaced talking critic, and they came up with something more creative or unique. commentary podcast can only be so interesting at the end of the day.

Nov 27, 2017
I won't fault a guy for leaving the most expensive city in the country, regardless of how well his patreon is going.

There's really only one option left, steal Kat Bailey from US Gamer and start a mecha podcast on the Talking Simpsons network!

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like its appropriate to speculate on either side of the situation because we really only have a small glimpse into what's happening via social media. We don't know what's happened in real life for things to come to a head like this. At the end of the day, it's peoples livelihood and something they've all spent countless hours on building together. It's sad that things can turn sour so quickly, but... that's life.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I won't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes but

I'm with Bob on this one, the dude was making six figures, paid Bob in exposure along with the odd table scrap and then just up and left.

I'm just glad TS is able to stand on its own two feet. LT at this point needs to be put out of its misery.

The guy wasn't making six figures, the patreon was supporting 3 people while occasionally dipping to 2 people until basically right now. Using the money to complain about is absolutely stupid, when we have no idea what the current state of the Patreon is and who Chris plans on bring on.

Bob is the one to bring up Patron earnings yet how many times does he whine about people bitching about his patreon earnings anytime he goes after the Moriarty dude? Even talking about the Patreon money at all is absolutely the lowest complaint. Amount of contributors and amount being donated has nothing to do with the location where the podcast is based out of.

Edit: Reading more, I really can't take how sanctimonious and deuchy Bob is coming off in these tweets. Talking shit like he would kill himself if he ever went back home and consider it giving up. Dude, fuck off. Don't project your dumb shit on someone else just because you don't like their decision. Bob is coming off really immature and acting like a complete baby.

Last edited:

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
alright, reading through the tweets it seems that Bob, Henry and MattyJ have been giving Chris the cold shoulder since earlier in the month even not promoting the recent Laser Time shows they were in

and I'll agree Chris does more work on his show BUT he couldn't have made it if Bob, Henry and Mikel hadn't worked on their own shows and guested on podcasts

and Bob just announced he's banned from the Laser Time Facebook Group; uuuuhhh, yeah there's a rift now. I'm going to say that Bob, Henry and Matt will move operations elsewhere and Chris will start skyping

I hate to see this happen

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
What could Chris have done to cause this rift?

We can't know that part. We can only get passive aggressive jabs about money and compensation, while making assertions that Chris is "giving up".

I guess after a year of shitting on SF and steadily talking about wanting to move, it was a sudden shock when he actually went through with it.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
We can't know that part. We can only get passive aggressive jabs about money and compensation, while making assertions that Chris is "giving up".

I guess after a year of shitting on SF and steadily talking about wanting to move, it was a sudden shock when he actually went through with it.

This. based on what's out there, it just makes the talking simposons guys seem incredibly small and petty, since all we know is that Chris wanted to move home for reasons, and then they keep making public post clearly referencing it then when people ask them for follow up info they just say "not my place." If they didn't want to talk about it, they shouldn't be.

It's very disappointing.

Dec 12, 2017
Philadelphia Area
Diana posted this on the FB LT community page

I got a bunch of questions today so let me give you my unofficial tldr version to summarize what's up:

1. Chris is moving to Florida due to economic and personal reasons.

2. Matt has moved on from LT and is working on lots of animation-related stuff, including Cartoons 101 on YouTube.

3. Talking Simpsons is now totally separate from LT.

4. LT has episodes - including some with Matt, Bob and/or Henry - banked for during the move. There will be no interruptions.

5. BonusTime/streams/MNM will be on hiatus.

6. VGA has episodes banked, then will go on hiatus. This is both to figure out guests and studio space and because Mikel needs a break and this seemed like a good time. (I see my husband one weeknight a week, guys.)

7. VGMpire TBD.

8. 30-20-10 will continue as a two-man show until we start trying out guests. We have episodes banked as well, so no interruptions.

Questions?

TL;DR Matt J's gone and Talking Simpsons is now a thing of its own. VGA's going on hiatus cause Mikel needs a break. No interruptions on other podcasts, but the fate of BT/streams/MNM/VGM is up in the air.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
yeah that sounds like some sorta fall out. wonder if theres any more that's missing, cuz right now it seems like a mountain out of a mole hill for the TS guys...

I don't have a fb, so I cant check the community sections, but how do people seem to be responding there?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017
Philadelphia Area
I don't have a fb, so I cant check the community sections, but how do people seem to be responding there?

Same as it is here, some people aren't aware of this (from what I understand the announcement was made only on Bonus Time and Chris hasn't really made any mention of it outside of that), and there's a thread going on where someone is posting tweets from Bob about this.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently, Bob and Chris haven't talked in a month and they found out about the move from a third party. That's a real dick move.

I have a hard time taking that at face value with how much shit Bob's been talking so far. One second saying he was blocked from the facebook community "Because someone is afraid of what he knows", to then saying he actually supports Chris. Dude seems all over the damn place, and saying some dumb shit regardless of if it's true or not.

Who's the third party? Matt J? I'd assume he'd probably know first being a part of the patreon and all... Was there stuff going on in that month that made communicating less likely? Saying just "We hadn't talked in a month and found out from someone else." Seems purposely vague. He won't say shit about anything directly he just wants to throw passive aggressive jabs and project his own shit on to the situation.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time taking that at face value with how much shit Bob's been talking so far. One second saying he was blocked from the facebook community "Because someone is afraid of what he knows", to then saying he actually supports Chris. Dude seems all over the damn place, and saying some dumb shit regardless of if it's true or not.

Who's the third party? Matt J? I'd assume he'd probably know first being a part of the patreon and all... Was there stuff going on in that month that made communicating less likely? Saying just "We hadn't talked in a month and found out from someone else." Seems purposely vague. He won't say shit about anything directly he just wants to throw passive aggressive jabs and project his own shit on to the situation.

Yeah that seems really weird... did henry or matt not know? Im guessing some of the podcast were recorded in advance, but that' still really hard to believe.... also where was this posted? fb?

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
All the weirdness and passive aggressiveness I keep hearing about kinda makes me want to just drop it

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
All the weirdness and passive aggressiveness I keep hearing about kinda makes me want to just drop it
Yeah it's a really bad look. I wish chris would be more open about what's going on, but I'm sure he has his reasons/will explain more in the future. I really don't like the TS folks response to this however. just based on what we know they're coming off really really badly.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a really bad look. I wish chris would be more open about what's going on, but I'm sure he has his reasons/will explain more in the future. I really don't like the TS folks response to this however. just based on what we know they're coming off really really badly.

Yeah, communication is the key to most things, but I guess it's all under wraps out of respect for privacy. I feel kind of stupid wanting to drop a podcast for a reason like I said, but when I'm made aware of situations like this, I find that I can't fully enjoy listening and can't concentrate on what's being said half the time.....personal problem on my part, I know.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that seems really weird... did henry or matt not know? Im guessing some of the podcast were recorded in advance, but that' still really hard to believe.... also where was this posted? fb?

This was in one of his replies on twitter. He's complaining about Chris not making this all known and that he is now required to do PR for unanswered questioned or some shit. He said he is offended he was booted from the facebook group possibly for "Thing he knows" or whatever.

He's just coming off as looking really childish. Including saying stuff like "Should I debate him." like he's trying to turn this into his next Moriarty type thing. Its ridiculous.

The only thing I'd really criticize(and have done so) Chris for during this whole thing is clarifying who is and isn't apart of the Patreon. Not being clear about that is really odd and comes off wrong. At the same time though, I could understand somewhat not being that out about people no longer being a part of shows if there is still a ton of shows banked which they will appear on. Bonus Time at least should have been clear about who is and isn't apart of LT at this point.

Dec 12, 2017
Philadelphia Area
I agree with Bob when he says that this should've been advertised better, this should've been an episode in the LT Podcast feed and not just on BT (keep in mind that I'm currently unemployed and as such am not a Patron). I wasn't even aware of the episode until I saw Henry tweet about it.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
This was in one of his replies on twitter. He's complaining about Chris not making this all known and that he is now required to do PR for unanswered questioned or some shit. He said he is offended he was booted from the facebook group possibly for "Thing he knows" or whatever.

He's just coming off as looking really childish. Including saying stuff like "Should I debate him." like he's trying to turn this into his next Moriarty type thing. Its ridiculous.

The only thing I'd really criticize(and have done so) Chris for during this whole thing is clarifying who is and isn't apart of the Patreon. Not being clear about that is really odd and comes off wrong. At the same time though, I could understand somewhat not being that out about people no longer being a part of shows if there is still a ton of shows banked which they will appear on. Bonus Time at least should have been clear about who is and isn't apart of LT at this point.

Yeah I really wish this would've been a lot clearer about what's going on, but for all we know it's really personal to chris, and he is deserving of privacy. I just feel like we've been speculating about this on the thread for the last week or so and we're getting drip fed clues. its' kinda tiring.... not to mention I kinda started to think something was up a week or so before I mentioned anything in this thread. I'm sure im not the only listener to feel this way.

Yeah the patreon financial stuff really needed to be more transparent. They mentioned on the BT that it was something they were going to work on once he gets settled. Like. Matt Jay just showed up last summer and was on a ton of episodes, but they never made it official if he was part of the patreon or not (or replacing dave or what).

I agree with Bob when he says that this should've been advertised better, this should've been an episode in the LT Podcast feed and not just on BT (keep in mind that I'm currently unemployed and as such am not a Patron). I wasn't even aware of the episode until I saw Henry tweet about it.

Weird. They mentioned on the bonus time podcast, that the episode would be going up in the free feed.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
This was in one of his replies on twitter. He's complaining about Chris not making this all known and that he is now required to do PR for unanswered questioned or some shit.

I think you're missing the point that Chris is being a little disingenuous; he's not on good terms with Hank and Bob, but he's just assured all the patrons that everything will continue as-is and left them to field questions.

Say what you will about Bob, but for better or worse he's always brutally honest.

Dec 12, 2017
Philadelphia Area
I think you're missing the point that Chris is being a little disingenuous; he's not on good terms with Hank and Bob, but he's just assured all the patrons that everything will continue as-is and left them to field questions.

Say what you will about Bob, but for better or worse he's always brutally honest.

I know Chris doesn't use twitter much, but this is one of those times where him opting-out of social media is more of a hindrance than a help. He has every right to move, but him keeping Bob and Henry in the dark about it is a dick move. He needs to make things clearer, cause a lot of what's being right now is a shock to me.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

He's said the shows and schedule will remain as-is while saying hosts will be in flux and how they record is still up in the air. Talking Simpsons hasn't been a part of Laser Time since it broke out on its own.

Most questions have largely come about from the passive aggressive comments he has made himself. Just looking at the FB group and Matt J's twitter, nothing was really said after the Bonus Time until Bob started saying vague passive aggressive stuff on twitter that made people ask questions. If any questions before then it would simply be "Will you be on LT stuff?" orr "Will Chris be on TS stuff?" but the comments Bob has made have gone well beyond that scope.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017

I agree. It seems pretty shitty for Chris to leave a lot of this for other people to explain. No one needs to know the details of his personal life or all the details of this current drama, but it's only fair to offer transparency regarding his working relationship Bob, Henry and others. I get why Bob seems salty, he's having to do damage control for a podcast network he doesn't even work with anymore.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
He's said the shows and schedule will remain as-is while saying hosts will be in flux and how they record is still up in the air. Talking Simpsons hasn't been a part of Laser Time since it broke out on its own.

Most questions have largely come about from the passive aggressive comments he has made himself. Just looking at the FB group and Matt J's twitter, nothing was really said after the Bonus Time until Bob started saying vague passive aggressive stuff on twitter that made people ask questions. If any questions before then it would simply be "Will you be on LT stuff?" orr "Will Chris be on TS stuff?" but the comments Bob has made have gone well beyond that scope.
Yeah its just so weird how this went down. Like you said, none of them have plugged any lasertime stuff for the last few weeks then all of a sudden bob shares the moving bonus time podcast.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. It seems pretty shitty for Chris to leave a lot of this for other people to explain. No one needs to know the details of his personal life or all the details of this current drama, but it's only fair to offer transparency regarding his working relationship Bob, Henry and others. I get why Bob seems salty, he's having to do damage control for a podcast network he doesn't even work with anymore.

But he's doing damage control for the damage he is doing. We're acting like Bob is just complaining about having to say what the working relationship is, but it's not. He started randomly posting passive aggressive comments that people then started asking about. It's only after now multiple days of this that he is now saying "It's just shitty I have to say this stuff and he isn't." He's just talked shit for a whole day and then wants to say he's supportive. Then wants to say he just doesn't like how Chris is handling it. He could have done that from the start, but he didn't. It's just back pedaling when he sees people drop their TS Patronage, or he gets kicked from the FB group and starts catching shit and suddenly the stuff he says is changing.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
But he's doing damage control for the damage he is doing. We're acting like Bob is just complaining about having to say what the working relationship is, but it's not. He started randomly posting passive aggressive comments that people then started asking about. It's only after now multiple days of this that he is now saying "It's just shitty I have to say this stuff and he isn't." He's just talked shit for a whole day and then wants to say he's supportive. Then wants to say he just doesn't like how Chris is handling it. He could have done that from the start, but he didn't. It's just back pedaling when he sees people drop their TS Patronage, or he gets kicked from the FB group and starts catching shit and suddenly the stuff he says is changing.
Has the TS patreon started to drop? I'm not one to be crazy reactionary with this stuff, but bob's comments on twitter made me consider dropping my TS support and just putting it towards LT

Citizen Rizer

Oct 27, 2017
The TS crew aren't being brutally honest; they're playing coy. Bob has been alleging that something nefarious happened, but refusing to give any details, leaving people to imagine the worst. Maybe something bad did happen, but if it didn't that's a lousy thing to do to a guy going through a rough time/depression.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Has the TS patreon started to drop? I'm not one to be crazy reactionary with this stuff, but bob's comments on twitter made me consider dropping my TS support and just putting it towards LT

I don't know, I just know he went from saying basically shove your money up your ass, to then saying "I don't understand why people are droping their pledges to TS, we make less.".

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok it's true that TS dropped $100 in the past day but they've basically gained $2,000 in pledges ever since that Flagman video in January

Chris going radio silent on his crew and telling them he's moving back home in a podcast feels like Trump firing Tillerson over twitter before telling him, Bob and Henry had to quit their easy jobs at Wikia after doing Laser podcasts for years so I can see why they're frustrated

well, this whole situation feels like a punch in the gut but the Laser crew's been through worse they'll kiss and make up and we'll move on

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I just know he went from saying basically shove your money up your ass, to then saying "I don't understand why people are droping their pledges to TS, we make less.".

Maybe he's getting cocky. I don't think their patreon would have nearly as much support unless it had time to grow on LT network (certainly not enough to live off of w/o a job). There's a lot of LT love supporting them and he's acting like a putz towards the guy who founded the network/community.

Especially when all that we know for certain about the situation is chris admitting that he's going through personal stuff, financial stuff, wanting to live in a location where he could one day have a family and to be nearer to his family. And now bobs being shitty about that... and henry too, but to a lesser extent.

Matt jay seems like he has the most to lose in this situation since (I'm guessing?) he was being supported somewhat via LT and just moved out there, but he atleast isn't being passive aggressive on twitter. he's just starting his own thing.

ok it's true that TS dropped $100 in the past day but they've basically gained $2,000 in pledges ever since that Flagman video in January

Chris going radio silent on his crew and telling them he's moving back home in a podcast feels like Trump firing Tillerson over twitter before telling him, Bob and Henry had to quit their easy jobs at Wikia after doing Laser podcasts for years so I can see why they're frustrated

well, this whole situation feels like a punch in the gut but the Laser crew's been through worse they'll kiss and make up and we'll move on

they didn't find out about the move via the podcast. they stopped promoting/showing up on each others podcast a few weeks ago.