• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
Seriously. Bob stuff like this is why you get hated on so much on Twitter.

And I'm a fan!!

I don't think you are, and I don't think being honest about the financial realities of Laser Time and Talking Simpsons is being passive-aggressive or shitty. This is just the reality of making content and we have chosen a different business plan than Laser Time. Once we get enough money to pay people, we can make more stuff—it's as simple as that.

And I have lots of fun on Twitter and find it to be a very valuable promotional tool so if you want to think I'm hated then hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you are, and I don't think being honest about the financial realities of Laser Time and Talking Simpsons is being passive-aggressive or shitty. This is just the reality of making content and we have chosen a different business plan than Laser Time. Once we get enough money to pay people, we can make more stuff—it's as simple as that.

And I have lots of fun on Twitter and find it to be a very valuable promotional tool so if you want to think I'm hated then hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Yeah, can't possibly defend the changes of your own patreon without talking shit about the one the show launched from in the first place... I understand completely, gotta get the pettiness in whenever you can!

Also hilarious, someone doesn't like something you do or say so there's no way they're a fan! lol Jesus dude...

Last edited:

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bob was already earning income from the Retronauts patreon before starting Talking Simpsons

was Laser Time necessary for TS to turn a success? Perhaps but you could also say that TS and Bob/Henry's presence helped Laser Time grow an audience as well

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Bob was already earning income from the Retronauts patreon before starting Talking Simpsons

was Laser Time necessary for TS to turn a success? Perhaps but you could also say that TS and Bob/Henry's presence helped Laser Time grow an audience as well

I'm not really talking about it's success or it being a patreon, I'm literally talking about TS being a show that launched as a patreon goal for LT and was patreon exclusive for the first season. Could you say Bob and Henry would have started it eventually? Sure, but Henry was a part of the LT Patreon at that time.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

Bob doesn't get paid for retronauts. That just goes to Jeremy

Lasertime already had a solid Patreon due to their fan base from talk radar.

And wtf bob. I️ was a patron for retronauts since it went there. Don't tell me that I'm not a fan just because I️ don't like how you handle public relations. I'm not some fucking Colin fanboy

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really talking about it's success or it being a patreon, I'm literally talking about TS being a show that launched as a patreon goal for LT and was patreon exclusive for the first season. Could you say Bob and Henry would have started it eventually? Sure, but Henry was a part of the LT Patreon at that time.
I forgot Henry was part of the initial roster of Laser Time, either way Talking Simpsons' launch wasn't wholly created by Chris since it involved Henry writing its introduction article and claiming that Bob and him were part of the core group http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2015/06/27/this-is-talking-simpsons-who-the-hell-are-you/

and the Patreon goals were obviously just random submissions that Chris was going to do anyways with the streams and LT.com features, and let's not forget that Thirty Twenty Ten didn't launch until a year after the Patreon passed $5,000 (new show tier)

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot Henry was part of the initial roster of Laser Time, either way Talking Simpsons' launch wasn't wholly created by Chris since it involved Henry writing its introduction article and claiming that Bob and him were part of the core group http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2015/06/27/this-is-talking-simpsons-who-the-hell-are-you/

and the Patreon goals were obviously just random submissions that Chris was going to do anyways with the streams and LT.com features, and let's not forget that Thirty Twenty Ten didn't launch until a year after the Patreon passed $5,000 (new show tier)

302010 was a Brett thing as far as I remember, he didn't come on to the Patreon until later and that was one of the goals they pushed when they were trying to bump the patreon to add him on. Think the new show tier and 302010 are two separate things.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
uh no, I think Chris's incentive for listeners was to reach $10,000 for Brett to be a part of the permanent roster, I remember that being a tier and pushed on podcasts once

but the $5,000 tier was definitely 302010 I remember Chris and the group keep teasing it until Brett wanted to come on
0McIwJa.png

Edit: here's that email of the $10,000 goal being Brett's inclusion

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
uh no, I think Chris's incentive for listeners was to reach $10,000 for Brett to be a part of the permanent roster, I remember that being a tier and pushed on podcasts once

but the $5,000 tier was definitely 302010 I remember Chris and the group keep teasing it until Brett wanted to come on

Edit: here's that email of the $10,000 goal being Brett's inclusion

Huh, guess I remembered it wrong. For some reason was thinking that was Brett's whole idea and thing.

Not really trying to defend the patreon overall, I've always thought the LT patreon wasn't really handled well or lived up to goals and incentives, I just brought it up in the first place saying TS was initially from the LT Patreon.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Brett was going to come on anyways since the Patreon was already nearing $10,000 by then, Chris just made that new tier to drum up more support. But Thirty Twenty Ten WAS Brett's idea since it gelled with his shtick being the Date Master and he was promoting it when he left Capcom.

but the new show tier was left unanswered for the entire year the goal was met before Brett jumped onboard, so I'm guessing Chris had no idea what to do with that tier he was just throwing shit on a wall to see what sticks

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I think Bob misaimed the joke at you but damn. That's gonna sting.

Not really a joke when it only says "I don't think you are", and not really missaimed when he's quoting and answering the person he says it to. Bob's been pretty consistent on the fact that you can't both be a fan and criticize him. If you're saying you're a fan to him he seems to see it as just a veiled attempt to soften your criticism.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, I certainly missed something. I was never a Chris fan in the first place, but I hope things work out for everyone.

I don't know if Henry reads this, but after hearing him tell the Osamu Tezuka version of anime and manga history a few times on podcasts like What a Cartoon, I thought as a fellow pedant he might appreciate this twitter thread:

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ hope that they realize this weeks what a cartoon episode for Bobby's world shows that most cartoons don't work at all for the talking simpsons formula. After they got through the history bits, which were enjoyable and informative, them discussing the episode sucked. It doesn't work for shows that I️ wouldn't watch now and enjoy

I️ liked the ren and stimpy one a ton due to the guy who wrote the book on it being on it.

Steve universe and king of the hill worked excellently but since then, most episodes haven't worked for me

Last edited:

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I've been contributing to Laser Time, Retronauts, and Talking Simpsons for a while. Right now it's hard not to feel bad for Chris given what we've publically been told to this point. I hope whatever Chris did to cause this rift was serious enough to justify this really odd passive aggressivene behavior from Bob/Hank. They probably know most subscribers are not paying attention to social media, however what they may not realize is that these productions are already beginning to suffer due to the split. TS/Retronauts really benefited from Chris' guest spots and likewise with Bob/Hank on LT shows.

BTW - It's very funny Bob is a liberal "communist" that seems unaware of his knack for practicing cut throat entrepreneurship.

Last edited:

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bob Mackey is obviously a shapeshifting lizard person sent by Alex Jones to promote distracting cartoon sitcoms and stop the blue wave polling at midterms

giphy.gif

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I️ hope that they realize this weeks what a cartoon episode for Bobby's world shows that most cartoons don't work at all for the talking simpsons formula. After they got through the history bits, which were enjoyable and informative, them discussing the episode sucked. It doesn't work for shows that I️ wouldn't watch now and enjoy

I️ liked the ren and stimpy one a ton due to the guy who wrote the book on it being on it.

Steve universe and king of the hill worked excellently but since then, most episodes haven't worked for me

I don't know, right after I listened to that episode I found the youtube channel they mentioned and watched this episode and enjoyed it:

Man Bobby loves watching R rated movies:lol

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm kind of keen to have an episode about something just extremely awful, like 'Rubix The Amazing Cube' or 'The Snorks'. The actual episode they watch doesn't have to be great, but the discussion about "what the fuck was this" is also good. I mean, the Retronaut Christmas special episodes are some of my favourites, and they're all awful shows.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
"Have I mentioned Chris didn't pay people lately?" lol
Seriously. Bob stuff like this is why you get hated on so much on Twitter.

I know you're both doubling down on the petty feud narrative, but Bob was just being candid to clear up unrealistic expectations; LT's output was disproportionate to the amount of money the Patreon was bringing in because people were working for peanuts. It was completely unsustainable and that's why it's in the process of fucking imploding right now.

It also isn't petty at all to point out the financial realities of how much money the LT Patreon was bringing in and how little was going back to Bob and Hank while they were working on TS. If that makes it look like Chris mismanaged the LT Patreon and took advantage of his friends in the process and then just burned it all down maybe that's because he ... uh ... did?

I'm still puzzled as to why everyone is giving the dude the benefit of the doubt, but casting aspersions on the two people that have actually given specific details on the way he does business.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I know you're both doubling down on the petty feud narrative, but Bob was just being candid to clear up unrealistic expectations; LT's output was disproportionate to the amount of money the Patreon was bringing in because people were working for peanuts. It was completely unsustainable and that's why it's in the process of fucking imploding right now.

It also isn't petty at all to point out the financial realities of how much money the LT Patreon was bringing in and how little was going back to Bob and Hank while they were working on TS. If that makes it look like Chris mismanaged the LT Patreon and took advantage of his friends in the process and then just burned it all down maybe that's because he ... uh ... did?

I'm still puzzled as to why everyone is giving the dude the benefit of the doubt, but casting aspersions on the two people that have actually given specific details on the way he does business.

I just can't really see a reason to come down on a dude because he decided to move home after some hard times. I also can't really see how talking about all these complaints and problems only comes about afterward, and seems to be only due to being slighted by the idea that the working relationship can't continue. Can only talk shit about how he does business, but is somehow only mad now that the business is not further prolonged? It all comes down to seem like Bob feels spited and doesn't really let stuff go easily so he harps on it time and time again. That's not really conjecture there is kind of a timeline of proof. Or a timeline of joking/having fun as he likes to call it.

If we're talking about Matt Jay? I've said since the beginning I think he was probably done dirty and thought it would make a whole lot more sense if he was just talking mad shit.

Nov 27, 2017
I don't suppose there's more info about the usenet reviewer they mentioned on the latest Talking Simpson's. If he was prolific enough to be remembered 20 years later his Simpsons shit posts must have been pretty good. Do the post still exists?

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I've been contributing to Laser Time, Retronauts, and Talking Simpsons for a while. Right now it's hard not to feel bad for Chris given what we've publically been told to this point. I hope whatever Chris did to cause this rift was serious enough to justify this really odd passive aggressivene behavior from Bob/Hank. They probably know most subscribers are not paying attention to social media, however what they may not realize is that these productions are already beginning to suffer due to the split. TS/Retronauts really benefited from Chris' guest spots and likewise with Bob/Hank on LT shows.

BTW - It's very funny Bob is a liberal "communist" that seems unaware of his knack for practicing cut throat entrepreneurship.
you made it onto his twitter!

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
you made it onto his twitter!

Being from Minneapolis, nobody knows passive aggressive behavior better than us from Norwegian Lutheran descent. Also, no way can Bob think everyone can be that tone deaf to his more understated jabs at Chris. Understandably good spin on his response, but in all seriousness - I do hope whatever Chris did was bad enough to be worth it.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
This weeks bonus time is really solid. Chris has pulled in some solid folks so far. I️ hope to hear more of them and see where the show goes

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
just finished the VGA. kind of sad. I'll miss the show for as long as it's MIA. it was my go to show on my half Fridays while running errands and what not. going to be hard to fill the void.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Henry said he's doing his own podcast but yeah, this was the movie you really wanted them together.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, more Disneyland stuff...

Personally, I liked this episode as I found the rumors and what not to be fun. though im a bit bored of theme park convos.

was this episode recorded remotely, or is it still a canned episode from before the move?

also chris needs to stop posting lasertimes late! I currently don't have a Monday dog walking podcast if it doesn't go up until Tuesday morning or w/e. I've just returned to 1up era retronauts

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
oh man this weeks bonus time is crazy long... really wish hank was on this one though.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
man lasertime being late these last few Mondays really throws my week off.
If it weren't for What a Cartoon also being mondays now, Lasertime being so late would be throwing my commute podcast rotation off as well. It's even weirder for this week because references made to when it was recorded makes it sound like they were sitting on it for a while, at which point why did it take so long to get posted?

It was also an emotional rollercoaster, because I originally thought Bob and Henry being on it meant whatever may or may not be going on behind the scenes may be over, but then it turned out to be an old recording