• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Laser Time proper has ticked up for me lately with them doing more with the topics, but VGA is the one that took the biggest hit for me.

I thought it was just Mikel's hiatus that took the wind out of the sails, but now that he's back I still barely have much interest. I really think there just isn't much chemistry on the podcast anymore and the conversation doesn't ever really become funny or interesting. Mikel and the new guy(I literally have not even learned his name), seem to bounce off each other really well, but there is just no one there to really bounce off Chris anymore. With that weird dynamic the feel of the show has really shifted and it doesn't feel much the same anymore.

30/20/10 I was never really huge on, but I've fallen off even moreso. But not really invested enough to really know why.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Laser Time proper has ticked up for me lately with them doing more with the topics, but VGA is the one that took the biggest hit for me.

I thought it was just Mikel's hiatus that took the wind out of the sails, but now that he's back I still barely have much interest. I really think there just isn't much chemistry on the podcast anymore and the conversation doesn't ever really become funny or interesting. Mikel and the new guy(I literally have not even learned his name), seem to bounce off each other really well, but there is just no one there to really bounce off Chris anymore. With that weird dynamic the feel of the show has really shifted and it doesn't feel much the same anymore.

30/20/10 I was never really huge on, but I've fallen off even moreso. But not really invested enough to really know why.
yeah, VGA is sorta awakward to listen to now. chris was skipping out on a few episodes 1/2 through and he doesn't really seem to be playing many games anymore. I feel like they need one more permentant host.

302010 has been kind of hit and miss for me lately. I really like diane on there and think she's a great podcaster. sarah is very hit or miss. lately though its been mostly them talking about how things are problematic. which, to be fair, is often the case w/ older media, but its not an enjoyable thing to listen to and makes the podcast a drag. it sucks cuz 302010 was appointment listening for me. I listened to it asap every week. now it shows up on my feed and I just kind of ignore it or wait to listen to it while cleaning or something.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing about Sarah on 302010 is that Books suddenly got noticed. Even if only a little.
yeah some of those segements have been pretty solid. I wish they would go into that more, and just skip the video game bits.

idk. I feel like chris has gotten kind of bored w/ podcasting. the Friday the 13th one has been a chore to listen to compared to last years nightmare on elm st (though this might be in part to the fact i'm working my way through the films as well and think most of them are worthless).

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Best thing about Sarah on 302010 is that Books suddenly got noticed. Even if only a little.
The book stuff is nice, but it feels a lot like the issue I've always had with Diana's Classic Corner in that it just felt like Sarah was the only one really talking about stuff. A lot of the appeal of the show for me was a bunch of friends that overlapped on a lot of topics all talking about old stuff based on different tastes in things. Now it just feels like they only really get that with movies and sometimes TV (and barely that), and otherwise it's just one person talking about a topic for long stretches of time. And the movie discussion isn't really all that great anymore either, since they all now kinda have the same tastes, so it can end up feeling like a downer when they gloss over a movie because none of them are interested, when it used to feel more like at least one person would be willing to go to bat for something notable and have them talk about it.

I'll still listen to it, but it's honestly long off my regular rotation and now only serves to be filler for when I've exhausted all other podcasts in a given week and still need something to listen to while commuting. It's a shame, since 302010 was probably my favorite LT show even before the split.

idk. I feel like chris has gotten kind of bored w/ podcasting. the Friday the 13th one has been a chore to listen to compared to last years nightmare on elm st (though this might be in part to the fact i'm working my way through the films as well and think most of them are worthless).
Their bit with the first movie, while understanding, was a massive downer to start the series off. I get that it's hard to talk about the first movie due to what it is, but it really felt by the end like Chris is so down on the series as a whole that they might as well have just gone with a different series completely.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
The book stuff is nice, but it feels a lot like the issue I've always had with Diana's Classic Corner in that it just felt like Sarah was the only one really talking about stuff. A lot of the appeal of the show for me was a bunch of friends that overlapped on a lot of topics all talking about old stuff based on different tastes in things. Now it just feels like they only really get that with movies and sometimes TV (and barely that), and otherwise it's just one person talking about a topic for long stretches of time. And the movie discussion isn't really all that great anymore either, since they all now kinda have the same tastes, so it can end up feeling like a downer when they gloss over a movie because none of them are interested, when it used to feel more like at least one person would be willing to go to bat for something notable and have them talk about it.

I'll still listen to it, but it's honestly long off my regular rotation and now only serves to be filler for when I've exhausted all other podcasts in a given week and still need something to listen to while commuting. It's a shame, since 302010 was probably my favorite LT show even before the split.

Their bit with the first movie, while understanding, was a massive downer to start the series off. I get that it's hard to talk about the first movie due to what it is, but it really felt by the end like Chris is so down on the series as a whole that they might as well have just gone with a different series completely.

yeah i'm currently listening to the most recent one and i honestly do think they're doing a solid job, but the franchise just isn't worth talking about. they had two ish solid movies, but other than that it's just a crappy annual franchise that has very little craft. i've heard people talk up that sleeping bag death for years, and i dont think i've ever been more let down.

and yeah ive kinda been dropping off the 302010 train as well. the conversations havent been to engaging and i really cant stand how sarah says "woooow"

FunnyJay

Oct 27, 2017
I miss Brett and Dave on 302010. Brett was always my favorite. Glad to see he is still doing VGMpire at least!

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I used to really love TalkRadar and LaserTime. What the fuck happened? I skimmed the thread but couldn't really make sense of it. Can someone please try to explain it to me in simple bullet points?

I fucking loved seeing Reparez, Tyler , Ann, Grimm, Elston, Gilbert and Chris all bounce off of each other. What the fuck happened? I tried to listen to a few of the most recent episodes of podcasts and it was all super low energy and depressing with people that I didn't recognize. They didn't seem to have any rapport. :(

The Crime Time episode in particular was a favorite of mine.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I used to really love TalkRadar and LaserTime. What the fuck happened? I skimmed the thread but couldn't really make sense of it. Can someone please try to explain it to me in simple bullet points?

I fucking loved seeing Reparez, Tyler , Ann, Grimm, Elston, Gilbert and Chris all bounce off of each other. What the fuck happened? I tried to listen to a few of the most recent episodes of podcasts and it was all super low energy and depressing with people that I didn't recognize. They didn't seem to have any rapport. :(

The Crime Time episode in particular was a favorite of mine.

Tyler and Ann moved east.
Grimm started working for Nintendo and couldn't do podcasts anymore.
Henry got a job, then quit the job and him and Bob started a separate patreon to turn Talking Simpsons into a bigger thing.
Brett got a job with Capcom.
Dave got a job with 2k or whoever does the WWE games.
Chris brought in a newer guy and basically him and Chris were all that was left on the patreon with Mikel, Diana, Bob, Henry doing specific podcasts as guests.
Chris was getting tired of SF and then his GF broke up with him and he decided to leave SF.
Bob, Henry were pretty upset and it caused a rift in fandom and the guys.
Chris has gone back to FL and tried to fill in the podcasts with old FL friends.
Chris comes off as if he's tired of podcasting. Putting low effort into things and being late on a lot of things.
There was a half assed attempt at refreshing the patreon, but he didn't even remove the old guys or old shows and just tacked on a couple new shows that have not been funded.

There just isn't much chemistry anymore, Chris barely seems to care to put much effort in, but wines about shows not being funded and people not liking the podcast.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
This is a weird thing to focus on, but I personally think it's a sign of the Chris end times when he isn't doing the deals section of the Black Friday VGA episode. Was like the guys main contribution and something he seemed to like doing.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I hate seeing things tank so hard this year. This time last year, everything was ok.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't listened to it, which episode was it? I cancelled mine a few weeks ago due to money issues, but it sounds like I might not renew at all.

It was the lasertime episode on Christmas horror. He didn't edit out the mic check stuff in the beginning, audio levels and stuff was dropping off at the end, the guest talked about how great this song was in one of the movies they discussed, and they said it would be played as the end credits but they didn't include it.

idk. the quality in shows is ALL over the place. last week there was one with a couple who played video games together and I couldnt' even finish it. the week before was an excellent Blaxploitation episode.

regarding bonus time, I honestly wouldn't bother. some episodes aren't bad, but then a week or two ago we got one where the host were so drunk they were just slurring over each other.

its all just pretty frustrating watching this implode.

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I've completely stopped listening to VGA and 302010, they just haven't really been interesting and VGA just seems so dry and empty anymore.

I occasionally listen to the main pod.

It's pretty damn sad. Anyone who complains or brings it up on the facebook group gets banned, twitter is ignored, reddit is just called horrible people. Chris moved back to Fl, is living it up with old friends while the funds last and is just holding his ears yelling "nahnahnahanhanah".

Chris is only actively handling the main pod which he keeps trying to hand off episodes to get other people to do, bonus time which they just turn on the mics and talk about their random shit, and even that is going down hill and barely being touched.

But hey, I heard Mikael on the Beyond good and evil 2 gameplay clip so that's cool.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I've completely stopped listening to VGA and 302010, they just haven't really been interesting and VGA just seems so dry and empty anymore.

I occasionally listen to the main pod.

It's pretty damn sad. Anyone who complains or brings it up on the facebook group gets banned, twitter is ignored, reddit is just called horrible people. Chris moved back to Fl, is living it up with old friends while the funds last and is just holding his ears yelling "nahnahnahanhanah".

Chris is only actively handling the main pod which he keeps trying to hand off episodes to get other people to do, bonus time which they just turn on the mics and talk about their random shit, and even that is going down hill and barely being touched.

But hey, I heard Mikael on the Beyond good and evil 2 gameplay clip so that's cool.

yeah, I was okay with supporting the network for awhile now, but this finally got me to stop. between the patreon never being updated (or even removing references to people/things who haven't been involved in 1+ years at this point), the shows constantly being late, the streams never happening, the overall drop in quality and effort. I just don't see the point in supporting something that makes me feel like i'm being taken advantage of. there's no communication, its clear he doesn't give a shit about the audience and I'm not going to support that anymore. I know it's "less than a cup of coffee" but if I get coffee from a place and it sucks, I don't go there again and they stop getting my money.

I've been slowing down on 302010 which is a shame because I used to immediately take my dog for a walk whenever I noticed it show up in my feed.

eh oh well. if anyone has any podcast recommendations, feel free to provide haha. I certainly have some gaps to fill.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's insane seeing this when on the flip side, Talking Simpsons is just going full steam ahead.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I was okay with supporting the network for awhile now, but this finally got me to stop. between the patreon never being updated (or even removing references to people/things who haven't been involved in 1+ years at this point), the shows constantly being late, the streams never happening, the overall drop in quality and effort. I just don't see the point in supporting something that makes me feel like i'm being taken advantage of. there's no communication, its clear he doesn't give a shit about the audience and I'm not going to support that anymore. I know it's "less than a cup of coffee" but if I get coffee from a place and it sucks, I don't go there again and they stop getting my money.

I've been slowing down on 302010 which is a shame because I used to immediately take my dog for a walk whenever I noticed it show up in my feed.

eh oh well. if anyone has any podcast recommendations, feel free to provide haha. I certainly have some gaps to fill.

I've recently got in to Cult Popture, it's basically just two guys doing movie series run throughs, sometimes for the first time sometimes rewatching, and just going through the series with some fun insights and topics to broaden the talking points. Like with series they'll often talk about their idea for a new sequel.

It's not a complete analogue to Laser Time, but having just recently picked it up it's been cool running through some of the movie series episodes.

There's also Panning the Stream, if you're a fan of Giant Bomb, Dan Ryckert and his wife made a podcast where they will watch random shows on streaming networks having never seen them and talk about a couple episodes each week. Sometimes they go by suggestions sometimes just by general feel of wanting something specific and then finding what the streaming services have. Like they wanted a telanovella so they found a random one on netflix.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm actually subscribed to the dan ryckert podcast, I just don think I ever listened to it

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I loved 302010 for a while when Bret was on the show. I still occasionally listen, but I really have a hard time giving a hoot about the stuff that happened in 1998 and especially 2008. I just listen to the 1988 segment then check out.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It fell off fast. Such a shame. Meanwhile Talking Simpsons and especially What a Cartoon just get better and better.

Nov 2, 2017
Listening to Chris whine about money and people not liking the podcasts got old years ago.

I've been unsubscribed as a Patreon member for about 6 months and have also fallen out of listening to any of the podcasts at all.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Chris whine about money and people not liking the podcasts got old years ago.

I've been unsubscribed as a Patreon member for about 6 months and have also fallen out of listening to any of the podcasts at all.

yeah I already dropped off of the TS patreon/listening awhile back. I just dropped LT patreon, and I think I'm kinda done w/ the podcast. I don't intend to use patreon anymore I think.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I got into LT because it loved listening to a bunch of similar-minded 30-somethings get drunk and giggle at nostalgic old audio clips. And other stuff like that. The older episodes are still a lot of fun.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think I could safely unsubscribe completely as well and be okay with checking out the odd episode or two.

The latest VGA is great though, but I just love hearing Brelston's sincere enthusiasm for game music.

Honestly, I'm happy with the banter on something like the Beastcast and that usually does me. Might sub to that Ryckert podcast too, he's a great Beastie.

PS. I can't stop listening to this shit:

FunnyJay

Oct 27, 2017
So is VGMpire a separate part "owned" by Brelston or how does it work?
It seems to be a separate website from the lasertime network and the latest episodes feature no one else from lasertime.

I really like VGMpire and Brelston's work on it!

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
So is VGMpire a separate part "owned" by Brelston or how does it work?
It seems to be a separate website from the lasertime network and the latest episodes feature no one else from lasertime.

I really like VGMpire and Brelston's work on it!

It's Bret's baby and he basically just does it on his own time now. His schedule probably just makes it harder anyone to really guest on it since he really just does it when he can.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I'll echo others in this thread and say that I've fallen off of the Laser Time train. The production feels fairly low effort these days and I miss the old cast of characters. 302010 is a great idea for a show, but the execution feels half-assed a lot of the time. Still really enjoy Diana's knowledge of cinema, it would be nice if she did her own show.

As for the Talking Simpsons situation I fell off of that as well. I'm not down with the rotating guests, even though some of them are from shows I like, in practice it pads out shows and if the guest is a dud it ruins a potentially enjoyable episode.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
As for the Talking Simpsons situation I fell off of that as well. I'm not down with the rotating guests, even though some of them are from shows I like, in practice it pads out shows and if the guest is a dud it ruins a potentially enjoyable episode.
Kind of the same. As much as Chris has fallen off with LT, I really enjoyed his contributions and chemistry with Bob and Hank on TS while he was there. IMO having a rotating guest makes episodes a lot more inconsistent.

I think the only Patreon I'm contributing to now on a regular basis is Retronauts.

It's Bret's baby and he basically just does it on his own time now. His schedule probably just makes it harder anyone to really guest on it since he really just does it when he can.
I'm totally cool with that, too. I don't listen to every VGM anyway, just the ones I'm interested in (which is usually either Genesis/MD, arcade or any FM-synth focused episodes).

Squall5042

Oct 25, 2017
I jumped off laser Time when Chris started complaining about money yet seemingly relying on his guest hosts to provide all the material for the show (not sure if that's how it actually went down but that's what it felt like).

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
man. its impressive how late the shows are getting/how many are being skipped. haven't been listening much lately, but its kinda sad to see it all falling apart

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped listening regularly about a year and a half ago and I haven't revisited them much since. Im over a year behind on 30/20/10 and I just...can't bring myself to start again.

Some of it was the TS/Chris falling out but the show's just lack the quality of discussion they once had in general anyway.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped listening regularly about a year and a half ago and I haven't revisited them much since. Im over a year behind on 30/20/10 and I just...can't bring myself to start again.

Some of it was the TS/Chris falling out but the show's just lack the quality of discussion they once had in general anyway.
yeah its been really rough for the last year or so.

ive never seen a podcast network fall apart like this before so its been kind of interesting in a very morbid way...

302010 is getting later and later. its starting to miss weeks and come out on the last day for the week its covering (ie at night on wednesday the 15th, we got the episode covering the 10-16th). kinda misses the point of the show.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah its been really rough for the last year or so.

ive never seen a podcast network fall apart like this before so its been kind of interesting in a very morbid way...

302010 is getting later and later. its starting to miss weeks and come out on the last day for the week its covering (ie at night on wednesday the 15th, we got the episode covering the 10-16th). kinda misses the point of the show.

It's sad. This was a network that when I discovered it in 2015, I downloaded the entire backlog of all the shows and listened to them for a like a month straight. It sucks that this is the way it's gone.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad. This was a network that when I discovered it in 2015, I downloaded the entire backlog of all the shows and listened to them for a like a month straight. It sucks that this is the way it's gone.
yeah. i started listening to them back on the talk radar days so its been a pretty big part of my life for years. id understand if chris is getting burned out or w/e, but id rather he completely restructure the shows/network then just disappear which i feel is going to happen.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is happening? Can one of the other 2 hosts of 30/20/10 take over? They seem more together than Chris.
It's easily the best show and its sad how these delays keep happening.

Sinistar

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is happening? Can one of the other 2 hosts of 30/20/10 take over? They seem more together than Chris.
It's easily the best show and its sad how these delays keep happening.
Cosigned. I've listened since the first episode and it's really sad to see it slowly die via attrition, through no fault of many of the talented people involved. I've listened to literally thousands of episodes of hundreds of different podcasts across at least a dozen genres since 2006 and I've never heard a show fall apart in real time like this. The 1Upocalypse was unavoidable due to layoffs, the Bombcast survived and even thrived after Ryan's death, plenty of other shows just run out of steam and give up, but the only word for this collapse is heartbreaking.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I thought 30/20/10 was just moving to the middle of the week as opposed to the end of the week, but I guess they would have announced if that was the case.

I really hope they are able to pull through this, because 30/20/10 is still one of my favorite podcasts, and I do enjoy some of their other stuff, too. It really seems like moving to North Florida has taken a toll on Chris's emotional health (understandably).

I'm actually still not sure what the whole Talking Simpsons/Laser Time split-up stuff was about, so I guess I need to read up on it to understand what's going on. The way y'all are talking about it, it sound like it was pretty serious.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually still not sure what the whole Talking Simpsons/Laser Time split-up stuff was about, so I guess I need to read up on it to understand what's going on. The way y'all are talking about it, it sound like it was pretty serious.
From memory, Chris basically made the decision to leave Cali and go back to Florida without telling Bob or Hank, and leaving them in the lurch in some way (I can't recall how exactly). It was enough for Henry to get a little nasty at one point though, when he tweeted that Bob was the hardest/best podcast host he'd ever worked with, essentially taking a massive swipe at Chris.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
From memory, Chris basically made the decision to leave Cali and go back to Florida without telling Bob or Hank, and leaving them in the lurch in some way (I can't recall how exactly). It was enough for Henry to get a little nasty at one point though, when he tweeted that Bob was the hardest/best podcast host he'd ever worked with, essentially taking a massive swipe at Chris.

Man, he really didn't tell the people on his own podcast network he was moving across the country? That seems like an important bridge to casually burn.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly wished he just gave the keys to someone else but Dave is with 2K, Brett went back to Capcom and Bob/Henry basically are doing good with their shows.

Yeah, I dunno what to think other than this not having a happy ending.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
It seems pretty clear that Chris is good at being an on air talent and horrible at everything else. He should not be the one in charge of anything. Everything will die if he doesn't give up that power.

Diana should spin off Thirty Twenty Ten into it's own Patreon that she is in charge of.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
302010 is the only show I miss and I gave it up because Chris became insufferable when he went to Florida.

Talking Simpsons got better when he left and I always had a feeling it would be so after they did The Critic without him.

Oct 28, 2017
The two hour bonus time with Tyler Wilde was one of the better shows this year, it ended up getting pretty heavy at some points, with Tyler and Chris talking about how they've grown over the decade.

I still listen to thirty twenty ten, the Sarah Diana gimmick has been pretty good.

Laser Time and Bonus Time I'll listen to half the time, and I've completely fallen off Vidjagame apocalypse.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I listen to episodes via the website which is down now.

Are they still releasing new episodes elsewhere?

Yeah, they just put out a Bonus Time four days ago, and 30-20-10 came out on Thursday. They also mentioned that they intend to start doing movie commentary again. If they're about to go down, they must be in heavy denial about it.

Also, Chris talked about totaling his car and injuring his back badly in the past month (and being on pain meds) contributing to the show's delays. As for the website stuff, I have no idea. But things certainly aren't looking great.

EDIT: Also, where the hell are those movie commentaries? I'm a patron, but I've never been able to find them!

Deleted member 55568

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Man, looking through the last page of this thread has been fascinating.

I only had a brief flirtation with Laser Time. I got in around the time 30-20-10 launched, and I bailed out around the time Chris went to Florida. I had already been getting tired of him by that point, and that seemed like a good exit point.

Not that Laser Time is a big deal, but I don't think I've ever seen a podcast network implode before.

OP
OP
Ultima_5

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Man, looking through the last page of this thread has been fascinating.

I only had a brief flirtation with Laser Time. I got in around the time 30-20-10 launched, and I bailed out around the time Chris went to Florida. I had already been getting tired of him by that point, and that seemed like a good exit point.

Not that Laser Time is a big deal, but I don't think I've ever seen a podcast network implode before.
Normally they just disappear and stop posting. This one has been very weird. If you think this page has been weird i recommend the subreddit for more reading