Mar 23, 2019
I am unclear how the direct store works. I had a browser tab open on my phone that I refreshed and I was logged in, then all of a sudden it said 1 hour wait. Do you just need to refresh/log in at the exact right time?

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I am unclear how the direct store works. I had a browser tab open on my phone that I refreshed and I was logged in, then all of a sudden it said 1 hour wait. Do you just need to refresh/log in at the exact right time?
I think when you enter the site you create a 10 minute instance and you can't enter the queue until that instance is up. So yes you need to enter the site at the exact right time

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least it would be nice for Sony to put up a message saying to check back tomorrow when they are done for the day. I have wasted so much time on this terrible process over the past week and all I have to show for it is 3 consoles in carts that I'm not allowed to buy because they are out of stock and a lack of sleep.

AdawgDaFAB

Oct 25, 2017
I think when you enter the site you create a 10 minute instance and you can't enter the queue until that instance is up. So yes you need to enter the site at the exact right time
So basically the only way to get one is to queue up the moment the queue starts. If one checks a second too soon, they will have to wait 10 min before being put in the queue and are completely screwed.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
So I'm guessing daily drop time for Direct is 2:00PM - 3:00PM EST?

Have they ever double dropped in one day? Asking for a friend that intends to stay up all night staring at the website.

bwadley87

Jan 12, 2019
So I'm guessing daily drop time for Direct is 2:00 - 3:00 EST?

Have they ever double dropped in one day? Asking for a friend that intends to stay up all night staring at the website.
They've done very early and in the evenings PST, I don't think they have, or ever will, do a midnight drop or anything.

resultant

Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
Since it is basically impossible to not get put in a queue, I'm just setting my auto-refresher to refresh every five seconds. Hopefully its quick enough to land me a good place in the next queue.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
So the auto-refresh doesn't actually work?
Doesn't look like it based on the anecdotal evidence.

So basically the only way to get one is to queue up the moment the queue starts. If one checks a second too soon, they will have to wait 10 min before being put in the queue and are completely screwed.
It would make the most sense to me as someone who was on the site 4 hours before the queue started and had to wait like 5 minutes to be put in the queue. It did occasionally tell me I needed to reload my instance.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since it is basically impossible to not get put in a queue, I'm just setting my auto-refresher to refresh every five seconds. Hopefully its quick enough to land me a good place in the next queue.
Auto refresh doesn't work, you'll keep getting OOS page, until you navigate to a different page.

AdawgDaFAB

Oct 25, 2017
You are more likely to end up like me where you refresh before queue starts and then have to wait 5-10 min before you can get in and are SOL.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017
How does the queue dictate your position then? Is it not in order of whoever pings the server while the queue is active?
I don't think anyone really knows. But me and everyone else in this thread who were auto-refreshing couldn't get into the queue until it was too late. It didn't populate for us until minutes after everyone else was getting into it.

You're welcome to try for yourself though!

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Basically the best strategy seems to be to watch Wario64's Twitter
In September I spent 4-5 hours between Gamestop, Best Buy and Target's websites. I eventually decided to go to bed and checked Wario's twitter on a whim (I don't even have twitter) and got the backdoor link. Ordered, got mine on launch day. Had I not checked I'd be SOL.

In the trenches with you lot trying to help my sister our for her kid but god DAMN what a nightmare this is. I'll echo sentiments that it hasn't been this bad since the Wii. At least with the Wii there was pretty much daily stock at Circuit City, GS, EB, Best Buy, etc.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Basically the best strategy seems to be to watch Wario64's Twitter

Agreed. I'm still trying to snag an XSX - there were a couple drops yesterday but I wasn't fast enough. I can see that if I had seen the tweet notification and acted on it immediately, I might've gotten a console. Not giving up hope, it's gotta pan out one of these times.

resultant

Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
So, unless Sony has implemented custom features for the queue, here is what the software vendor for their queue system says directly on their site.

Address speedy scalper bots

Queue-it's pre-queue functionality gives anyone arriving before the start of a sale a random position in line. For speedy bots designed to arrive just before event start to beat the crowd, the pre-queue simply neutralizes their method of attack.

So it's FIFO unless you are there before the sale, then it's random. Weird, but actually probably for the best.

bwadley87

Jan 12, 2019
So, unless Sony has implemented custom features for the queue, here is what the software vendor for their queue system says directly on their site.

So it's FIFO unless you are there before the sale, then it's random. Weird, but actually probably for the best.
interesting, so this really does seem like it's best to just fire up a new tab when we see tweets about a queue popping up?

Starburns

Oct 30, 2017
Denver

If I'm reading this correctly, then it is in my interests to NOT keep a tab open at Direct Playstation, and just keep an eye/ear out, and jump on - right?

VoidCelestial

Oct 10, 2020
Here is more information on what resultant found.

When you set up an online queue to begin at a specified date and time, you can choose to place all visitors who arrive early into a pre-queue. The pre-queue serves as a virtual holding area, offloading visitors from your website or app infrastructure to minimize strain on your system. These early visitors will see a page with a countdown timer. When the sale or registration starts, visitors are randomized and assigned a place in the online queue. Visitors arriving after the sale or registration starts get a first-come, first-served place in line.

This makes a lot of sense with what has been happening.
queue-it.com

What Is a Pre-Queue? | Queue-it

A pre-queue is a countdown page before a timed online sale or registration. Discover how a pre-queue can help you manage pre-sale interest that threatens to crash your website or app.

bwadley87

Jan 12, 2019

queue-it.com

A pre-queue is a countdown page before a timed online sale or registration. Discover how a pre-queue can help you manage pre-sale interest that threatens to crash your website or app.
So unless you want to roll the dice with random placement in line, would be faster to open a new tab to PS direct when we know a queue has started.

resultant

Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
So unless you want to roll the dice with random placement in line, would be faster to open a new tab to PS direct when we know a queue has started.
Well, actually, with the volume of people who are getting there early I don't think this matters much. Think about it like this, if everyone hears that its going in stock soon and they all jump on the site causing the queue, even if the are randomized there are so many people who get in early that they will still probably be before you if you wait.

So you either need to be incredibly lucky or precise in a way that probably isn't possible.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017

queue-it.com

Yeah from what I'm reading is pre-queue will still get in before the people who come on after the sale starts. It's just randomized.

VoidCelestial

Oct 10, 2020
I don't think so. I think it means that it doesn't matter if you show up super early or when it starts. I think what we all saw earlier today when it said more than an hour wait time for all of us was the pre-queue. People who were refreshing or newcomers who saw a tweet from Wario64 got put into the pre-queue. Somewhere around when nowinstock website reports the PS5 is in stock is probably when we all get shuffled into randomized spots. Anyone who shows up after this is put into the back of the line in normal order. Basically we have been wasting our time with the constant refreshes.

bwadley87

Jan 12, 2019
Well, actually, with the volume of people who are getting there early I don't think this matters much. Think about it like this, if everyone hears that its going in stock soon and they all jump on the site causing the queue, even if the are randomized there are so many people who get in early that they will still probably be before you if you wait.

So you either need to be incredibly lucky or precise in a way that probably isn't possible.
Ah I see now. So Pre-queue is like 11am pst-ish when the queue went live, but then "after the sale begins" was like 11:30am pst when the stock alerts actually started going out

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I don't think so. I think it means that it doesn't matter if you show up super early or when it starts. I think what we all saw earlier today when it said more than an hour wait time for all of us was the pre-queue. People who were refreshing or newcomers who saw a tweet from Wario64 got put into the pre-queue. Somewhere around when nowinstock website reports the PS5 is in stock is probably when we all get shuffled into randomized spots. Anyone who shows up after this is put into the back of the line in normal order. Basically we have been wasting our time with the constant refreshes.

I'm to the point where I don't think it matters when you come in to a degree and it's all just random and completely based around luck....