• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, that just sounds like you're not really paying attention to what comes out, I could easly list like 50-100 must-play games from 2017 on PC alone.

You might be a bit more limited if you've only got one console, but even then.

Oh, and get Evil Within 2 if you liked Silent Hill Downpour because that's basically a way better version of the same thing.
hehe ...i still think that Downpour is an amazing game with a lack of enemy variety (really, what happened during developement ?!?!) and I was really disappointed with TEW 2 ;)

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
You know, people said the same thing last gen about the PS2 era...

But the truth is we are far from how things were 15 years ago. The transition to HD and rising dev costs have been brutal, with so many studios closing. There are simply less mid budget games being released. At least we have the rise of indies to pick up some of the slack. I'm not going to look back with rose tinted glasses, because games are better in many ways than they ever have been before... It is what it is.

Yep there are less games. Sure some awesome games but just 3 or 4 top tier things. Indies have been on the decline. What was big indie game of last year? There really wasn't one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yep there are less games. Sure some awesome games but just 3 or 4 top tier things. Indies have been on the decline. What was big indie game of last year? There really wasn't one.

I think it's less that indies are on the decline and more that there are so damn many of them that none of them attract the same degree of singular attention as something like a Super Meat Boy or Bastion did back in the past when a major console maker pushed the hell out of them.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

It's almost better if there isn't just one "big" indie game though. Plenty sold well, and we're great examples in their respective genres. I guess the last indie that floored me was Inside, but I don't have time to play even half the games I want so I'm definitely missing out on plenty of great stuff!

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
I would say Nier: Automata and Alien: Isolation fall in this category, ignoring the third-person stringent. Also, I'd be up for new releases of Chainsaw Lollipop and Shadows of the Damned on modern platforms and PC.

Oct 29, 2017
Downpour pls stop

I think it's less that indies are on the decline and more that there are so damn many of them that none of them attract the same degree of singular attention as something like a Super Meat Boy or Bastion did back in the past when a major console maker pushed the hell out of them.
Yep, I actually am always thinking how many good indies there are right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's more that...Sebastian's a really, really bad shot and your options for defending yourself are next to zero when enemies get close, so (at least for me) a lot of encounters ended up with me missing a pivotal shot and a zombie charging right at me and punching me to death while I struggled to do anything to avoid it. Just wasn't a very fun experience. When the areas are smaller and enemies have a simpler routine you can track, it's less of a problem, but like that parking lot out in the suburb where you get the crossbow was my absolute nightmare. Too many enemies too close together and all of them with AI that always heard me coming up behind them for a stealth kill no matter how slowly or patiently I approached things.

There's upgrades to tighten up Sebastian's aim and weapon kickback as well as defensive maneuover upgrades. Faster sneaking is also a must have upgrade.

That initial mob near the crossbow is probably the hardest encounter I had with the game. It only gets easier from there as you start getting more weapons and resources.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Have you heard of a little game called Player Unknown Battlegrounds?

Or:
Cuphead
Hollow KNight
Pyre
Divinity Original Sin 2
A Hat in Time
The End is Nigh
What Remains of Edith Finch
Nidhogg 2
Getting Over It
Steamworld Dig 2
Hellblade
Rainworld
Battle Chef Brigade
Battlechasers
The Sexy Brutale

etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Have you heard of a little game called Player Unknown Battlegrounds?

Or:
Cuphead
Hollow KNight
Pyre
Divinity Original Sin 2
A Hat in Time
The End is Nigh
What Remains of Edith Finch
Nidhogg 2
Getting Over It
Steamworld Dig 2
Hellblade
Rainworld
Battle Chef Brigade
Battlechasers
The Sexy Brutale

etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Sorry, those don't count

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I created a database about the reviews of a German gaming magazine over the last weeks and it's a little bit sad how many publishers have died since then or are not really interested in games anymore.

THQ
Midway
Eidos
LucasArts
Atari
Disney
Konami
Hudson
Sega
Bandai-Namco

Indies are good for certain genres, but I miss arcade racers like Burnout, Need for Speed and Sega Rally. Or sports games like Virtua Tennis, Tony Hawk or 1080 Snowboarding.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I actually am always thinking how many good indies there are right now.

I just don't even bother to look anymore, because the field is too big it's impossible to separate the diamonds from the dirt at this point. It's crazy.

There's upgrades to tighten up Sebastian's aim and weapon kickback as well as defensive maneuover upgrades. Faster sneaking is also a must have upgrade.

That initial mob near the crossbow is probably the hardest encounter I had with the game. It only gets easier from there as you start getting more weapons and resources.

I might get back to it later. My friend bought it for me digitally as a gift, so I feel like I need to beat it, but I also need to free up space. I'm worried if I delete it I'll never pick it up again. I think I stopped right after leaving the suburb the first time? Hard to remember exactly where I left off. I know I finished a part where I was being stalked through a hospital by a singing lady ghost.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
...Silent Hill Downpour, Dead Space, Batman Arkham Asylum, Viva Pinata, etc, etc....

You know...linear third person adventures with high replay value, great level design and interesting collectibles or risky ideas like Viva Pinata....where are those games today?
Are they dead?
Xbox One backwards compatibility is a godsend and I can't believe how great and fresh these games feel today.
This gen (imo!) is a huge disappointment compared to the previous gen.

Everything looks and feels the same (aside from Indies but I'm not talking about Indies). It's really depressing, imo.
I just bought a new Xbox One because of this feature.

So, what do you think? Agree or disagree?

Yeah, I'd agree. Last Gen had better single player linear games. But single player games are not dead. These first few months of 2018 I'll be buying God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and Ni No Kuni 2. All Single player games and some of my most anticipated games of the year.

Oct 25, 2017
Everything looks and feels the same (aside from Indies but I'm not talking about Indies). It's really depressing, imo.

YoeSPJ7e.jpg

Prey_social.png

ss_34a428cdd26113e8645b77331d9fc82fcc50a4a2.1920x1080.jpg

58b976b9be96739a048b474b-1280

3ee6a_NieR-Automata-TpGS-17-Gameplay.jpg

o38yjyvnmakxzdgn7bc8.jpg
230437_screenshot_01_l.jpg
???????

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I was one and done with most of these titles OP much like I am with most 'linear third person adventures with high replay value' the usual exception were/are Platinum games redoing stages to get better ranks.

Also 2017 destroyed, if 2018 can be half as good I'll be happy and so will my wallet.

Oct 25, 2017
I find this gen far more interesting. There seems to be a much bigger emphasis on player agency and systems. Just compare The Phantom Pain to MGS 4, Hitman 2016 to Absolution, Breath of the Wild to Skyward Sword or Prey to Bioshock.

I'd argue that 2015, 2016 and 2017 alone are better than the entire last gen, with my new GOAT Bloodborne as the crown jewel. I'm seeing tons of games with really good gameplay these days, from Nioh's combat to Mario Odyssey's traversal to Doom's gunplay to Divinity Original Sin 2's gameplay sandbox. And then there is the heart of The Last Guardian, the writing of SOMA, the puzzles of The Witness and so on.

And this gen is far from finished. If games like From's next, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk 2077, God of War, Spider-Man, Monster Hunter World, The Last of Us 2, DMC 5 and many others all deliver... oh boy.

Also, everything looks the same, really? After last gen with all its white male thirties heroes and UE3 looks? Just last year alone: BotW, Nioh, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7, Horizon Zero Dawn, Evil Within 2, Prey, Super Mario Odyssey, Persona 5, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Wolfenstein 2, AC Origins, Cuphead (fuck excluding indies), Hellblade, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and so on. Tons of variety in genre, protagonists and art styles.

Last edited:

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks and feels nothing like Mario Odyssey.
Mario Odyssey look and feels nothing like Horizon Zero Dawn.
Horizon Zero Dawn looks and feels nothing like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.
Etc.

Disagree.
Hellblade itself being an awesome linear single player experience, you should check it out op

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me about those linear third person adventure indie games then, I'd be down for that

There aren't any as far as I know.
I was talking about diversity in genres not in general. Of course there's enough diversity when you look at all three consoles and a PC. But look at (different genres) open world games, first person shooter, racing games,etc. Imo it seems there's only one formula for each genre and that's it. They don't even try to take risks or make something like Silent Hill, Alice, Shadows of the damned, Batman Arkham Asylum, Dead space, Alan Wake, etc. And even if they do it either gets cancelled or it's one rare game that doesn't even sell very well due to bad marketing.

Oct 25, 2017
The Evil Within 2 seems like it fits into what you're looking for.

I mean, OP wants variety and then excludes everything that isn't a linear third person game. Even then, there is both Evil Withins, Quantum Break, Uncharted 4, Uncharted The Lost Legacy, Hellblade, The Last Guardian, Nioh, both Tomb Raiders, Bayonetta 2, Ratchet & Clank, the upcoming God of War and probably some other games I forgot.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I finished playing SOMA not long ago and I think... OP should go play SOMA and then look back at 2017's library and still tell me that 7th gen had more variety.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
2017 was the best year of gaming in a very long time. You're very wrong.
Not for me.
I think many people (gamers) forget how great the last gen was. You should play some of the old games. Not because some (or most) have a different opinion than I have...but it's true...you forget how great the old games are. I forgot it and I'm glad that I made the decision to go back. There are many games that are not "more" open or open world with maps and hundreds of collectibles. Games without microtransactions. Games with unlockables. Sure...this gen is the result of the end of the last gen (Dead Space 3 is a good example) but that doesn't mean it's a good gen. Imo this gen is one of the worst so far. But that's just my opinion.... because I just bought a console to use it's backwards compatibility, lol.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I highly enjoyed Shadows of the Damned but it didn't have much replay value at all. In fact that was one of the things it was most criticized for; the lack of a New Game+ in the game is an egregious oversight.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I highly enjoyed Shadows of the Damned but it didn't have much replay value at all. In fact that was one of the things it was most criticized for; the lack of a New Game+ in the game is an egregious oversight.
I agree. Lack of NG+ and unskippable cutscenes is not good but imo it still has a lot of replay value. The silly humour, the pacing, the weapons, Johnson (lol!), the music..pretty much everything is amazing except for the things I mentioned.

BTW...what is Akira Yamaoka doing right now?

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yes, I miss linear gameplay experiences.
With exception of Witcher 3 and GTA V I find side missions and open world activities to be useless.
The few open world games I'm interested in, I usually beat the main campaign and nothing else. So all that extra work on the world is just wasted.

My favourite syatem is linear, level based, or Hub based if done right (Batman Arkham Asylum/City/Origins, Deus Ex, Yakuza, ShenMue, etc).

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Well at least No More Heroes 3 (Travis Strikes Again) is coming to Switch in the near future.

Your issue is that the industry has changed and consolidated from the XB360/PS3/Wii days.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Agree, Alan Wake and Batman were gems last gen,
I feel like this gen is only getting started, so I'm hoping that we won't see a new console generation until 2025 or something.

I should play Silent Hill: Downpour

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Except from Dead Space (and Batman which we already got this gen) nothing on this list was particularly good. I very much prefer the games we got this gen so far.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Alan Wake was a damn fine game. I need more Twin Peaks in my video games! Also Quantum Break, this gen and no one bought it, real shame. Another Remedy Game, fits your mould perfectly.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I would love more linear games likes of Alan Wake, Max Payne, Half-Life 2, Metro games, Call of Cthulhu, Condemned, FEAR, Call of Juarez games, Silent Hill games, Alice Madness Returns, the Suffering, Croostasis, Witcher 2, BioShock 1+2, etc.. even Prey from last year is too big for its own good - the only game I play at this moment, started almost a month ago and still far from end with more than 23 hours already played

Nov 5, 2017
I'll split this post into two categories: Hope and Despair

DESPAIR:

Last Gen:

Shadows of the Damned (published by EA)
This Gen:
EA.. well you know

Last Gen:
Alice: Madness Returns (also published by EA)
This Gen:
Sequel currently being crowdfunded

Last Gen:
Killer is Dead
This Gen:
New No More Heroes - but referencing other games

Last Gen:
Silent Hill Downpour
This Gen:
Silent Hills - Konami cancelled game, focused on making money instead

Last Gen:
Dead Space (again, published by EA)
This Gen:
Studio closed

HOPE

Last Gen:

Alan Wake
This Gen:
Quantum Break

Last Gen:
Batman Arkham Asylum
This Gen:
Batman Arkham Knight
Batman Arkham VR thing

Last Gen:
Viva Pinata by Rare
This Gen:
Sea Of Thieves by Rare

Results:
Make what you will of all this, but it looks like money and new technology (VR) could be the main issues - and certain publishers not caring about creativity
But we're still getting some great games, you just have to look harder

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I kind of see where OP is coming from. Not specifically linear t/fps needs to come back. But that last gen had a certain something this ones missing. Call it mid tier ambition for lack of a better term.

Alot of my favorite games in the first half of last gen weren't necessarily the flagship titles or the initial breakout titles. but they usually played on those concepts. Fallout NV to Fallout 3, the saints row 2 instead of GTA 4, rock band above guitar hero, Space Marine instead of Gears.

There was also alot more of these attempts, well at least I felt like there was. The third person shooter had swathes of good to great games. Same with FPS, or racing games.

Even what I would consider a currently flourishing genre in open world had regular solid releases we just seemingly forgot about like the saboteur.

Then you have the dramatic failures like Two Worlds.

Indies while great generally don't play in the same spaces as AAA. like mid tier devs used to.

edited because I had to put my phone away at work and wanted to add to my point

Last edited:

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit tired from the narrative that everything is samey because the big publishers are putting out samey stuff.

Just look past your favourite publishers. There's a lot of good varied stuff coming out, many linear games are among them.