• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
btw, the podcast is raising money for charity:

We are raising funds for a new initiative to bring games and games writing courses to high school students in homeless shelters in New York City. While everyone has been hard hit by this terrible COVID-19 virus in some way, the hardest hit, underserved communities in the Bronx need our help. And no community has been hit harder than students in homeless shelters, who live in complex situations in the best of times and are having trouble even connecting to a WiFi hotspot right now. These are our communities in need. These are the communities we want to help.

GoFundMe: #1 Fundraising Platform for Crowdfunding

GoFundMe: The most trusted online fundraising platform for any need or dream. Start a crowdfunding fundraiser in 5 minutes. Get help. Give kindness.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Man I've never seen so much written about a videogame in years...

Fun fact: I've played the game for 20 hours now and I'm still waiting for most things people have been raging about, lmao.
Everything has been blown out of proportion in a way even i didn't expect!

Fucking same, I kept waiting and waiting and waiting... credits rolled and all I could think was... all that noise over a well-crafted revenge tale with a moderately diverse cast. WHY?

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
she hasn't: https://twitter.com/Jocelyn_Mettler

lies?
you mean that one scene in the trailer
where Joel says a line a different character says in the final game, but you don't know that without playing the game?
and where he clearly is in a different location, when it cuts from Ellie to him?

Yeah I know now.

You sound quite similar like the people leveling the hate and harassment at ND and the game's cast.

My thoughts exactly.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I can't imagine creating something like this over some 7 years only to be met with sheer unjustified hate like this.

These guys just elevated the medium.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Like I said, the world is full of Annie Wilkes and they all have a Twitter account.

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
Fucking same, I kept waiting and waiting and waiting... credits rolled and all I could think was... all that noise over a well-crafted revenge tale with a moderately diverse cast. WHY?
That's basically it. It's hard to understand why anyfuckingone would have an issue with the game.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's so insane especially considering the game itself doesn't seem like it should be that controversial.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
1000% disagree that because people are shitstains, that "I" need to take a break from social media.

Fuck those people.

These platforms need to do much better at regulating that kind of hate. It's not productive for anybody.

I know, I know, free speech issue and all. But at the end of the day, if your usage of free speech is to send vile threats and personal insults at the creators of a video game because you didn't like some choices they made, I simply fail to care.

Aug 25, 2019
Seven years after the release of the original, The Last of Us Part II is finally out now on PlayStation 4. Even before release, writer-director Neil Druckmann acknowledged that some fans of the first game would dislike the sequel, and now that the game is out, he's responded to more of the internet hate.

Speaking on former Nintendo boss Reggie Fils-Aime's podcast, Druckmann said it's worthless to fight against people when they share their opinions about a game--whether it be good or bad. However, Druckmann said he can't understand how people get so worked up and upset about fictional characters.

"I think you have to create some separation to say, we made this game, we believe in this game, we're proud of this game, now it's out there and it's like whatever reaction people have--whether they like it or not--that's fair," Druckmann said. "That's their reaction and you don't fight that. The other thing with the more hateful stuff, the more vile stuff, that's a little harder. It's especially harder when I see it happening to team members or cast

We have an actor, she's been getting really awful, vile stuff because of a fictional character she's playing in the game," Druckmann added. "I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around that. The thing I try to do is just ignore it as much as I can. When things escalate to being serious, there are certain security protocols that we take and I report it to the proper authorities. Then you just try to focus on the positives and focus on distracting yourself with other stuff. But it's kind of just the reality."

Even the Polygon article mentions this

A few hours later, [the leak is] everywhere and you're starting to get hate on every social media you're on, and soon that turns into death threats, anti-Semitic remarks, and just craziness I never could have anticipated," he continued, stating that he never thought the game would get this sort of hate."

More at the link

Gamespot article

Really unfortunate situation all around. Then entire team needs to take a break from social media asap. Especially the cast members.
This is really sad, I saw some very hateful homophobic and transphobic comments. It really upsets me. People just need to be banned from the internet...

Oct 25, 2017
You mean that thread about a former ex employe 10 years ago that dealt with an anti poaching from IG and ND, and somehow ERA turn it into attacking Druckmann?

Really show how much people actually care about the topic and not their stupid agenda.
Yup, precisely. How many mentions of Ted Price or Evan Wells were there in that thread? It somehow became almost entirely about Druckmann.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
"We have an actor, she's been getting really awful, vile stuff because of a fictional character she's playing in the game," Druckmann added. "I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around that. The thing I try to do is just ignore it as much as I can. When things escalate to being serious, there are certain security protocols that we take and I report it to the proper authorities. Then you just try to focus on the positives and focus on distracting yourself with other stuff. But it's kind of just the reality."

Unbelievable.

Not surprised but it's absolutely disgusting to harass a person who PLAYS a character, regardless of the reasons you don't like that character.

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
Maybe it would have taken a little while longer post release but I don't think it would have been much different. Alt right will continue to be Alt right.

Maybe, I still think that scene would have caused quite a kerfuffle online.

I agree. The bigoted incels will always have found issue with this game for obvious reasons, but I think that the reception in regard to how people are approaching this story is heavily affected by those that spear-lead the narrative that this game was a textbook 180 from the original with nothing to say. Which is far from the truth, and with any art in any medium if you are not attempting to interact with the narrative you simply won't. If you want to hate it, you will.

I was going to post the same idea, I feel bad for game developers when their games are leaked because they are exposed to criticism and nothing else.
Absolutely! Especially due to the hardworking individuals at ND who busted their ass for long hard years. Never will be okay to see the product of your labor treated as if care was an afterthought.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Unfortunatlly some ppl still dont know how to separare a fictional character from its actor. This happens in movies as well, and i dont understand whats going on in these ppl heads.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's so sickening the amount of vitriol that ND, the actors, and everyone else involved in the game has gotten. The internet just sucks. It's an incredible game and one that I'm so glad exists.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I think in this case it's fine just to say it's disgusting going after people on the internet for this and not have a but afterwards.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with him for the most part and it's definitely a sad situation but it's so weird to see him say " Druckmann said he can't understand how people get so worked up and upset about fictional characters. "

His studio is known for story writing and even more so after The Last of Us 2. When you write such polarizing and beloved characters, obviously people are going to get attached to them. Does it excuse this stupid ass behaviour? Obviously not, but it's still weird to see him wonder why the characters he writes are liked so much.

Well, being upset till the point you start harassing the people who make the game, sending death threats and mass review bombing is not reasonable behaviour no matter how upset one can be. People don't expect this to happen because it is not normal to behave this way.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
TLOU 2 spoilers, don't click unless you've played the game.
But fans have every right to call out Druckmann on all the lies and false advertising. Made his shit writing even worse than it already was.
I assume people who make this statement never played MGS2 back in the day?

Jesus. Obviously they did that because they didn't want to have a major spoiler in their trailer.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
It's really that simple. People can dislike the game critically, there was plenty of criticism over the first game. A lot of people on Era think it's overrated and thats ok, your entitled to your opinion.

Getting furious about LGBTQ representation, making claims about the director forcing out employees, sending death threats to those involved? Fucking evil, deserve to get called out for it.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's quite evident that people have a real issue with ND. What's incredibly sad and almost disturbing is look at the thread where Sony PR asked vice about the review and look at this one. What's the bigger issue here?

See how nobody is up in arms over vile remarks and death threats?

So we are actually amongst this level of hatred, right now on this site the same evil lurks.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
You mean that thread about a former ex employe 10 years ago that dealt with an anti poaching from IG and ND, and somehow ERA turn it into attacking Druckmann?

Really show how much people actually care about the topic and not their stupid agenda.

I kinda want to go in there so I can fill up my ignore list with all the horrible posters attacking him for no reason. But i'll probably end up saying something to one of them that'll get me banned.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It's quite evident that people have a real issue with ND. What's incredibly sad and almost disturbing is look at the thread where Sony PR asked vice about the review and look at this one. What's the bigger issue here?

See how nobody is up in arms over vile remarks and death threats?

So we are actually amongst this level of hatred, right now on this site the same evil lurks.
My thoughts exactly. This place fuels the hate in different ways. Just go look at the Ughur thread do ppl really give a damn?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
All of that because of a video game. Let that sink in for a moment: a. video. game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU 2 spoilers, don't click unless you've played the game.
I assume people who make this statement never played MGS2 back in the day?

Jesus. Obviously they did that because they didn't want to have a major spoiler in their trailer.
Some of these people are using ND's marketing misdirection as justification for their garbage behavior. That's all there is to it.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm 99% sure that most people complaining about certain character have not played the game at all.

Watching the leaks without context will give you very warped vision of what happens in Part 2, that's what happened to most people talking shit about the story.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
The hate for the actors is fucking disgusting. Awful 'fans'.

But fans have every right to call out Druckmann on all the lies and false advertising. Made his shit writing even worse than it already was.

Get out of here with 'shit writing' and 'false advertising'. Looking at your post history tells everyone the sincerity of your post.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I kinda want to go in there so I can fill up my ignore list with all the horrible posters attacking him for no reason. But i'll probably end up saying something to one of them that'll get me banned.
None of those people ar ever worth engaging.
I said this on the Insomniac thread and I fully believe it.

I been in gaming communities since 2014, and I lost any hope that gamers will have care how toxic the gaming community is towards women a long time ago.
Even here most that pretend to care are just some wierd fanboys that use this mostly to attack some publisher they don't like, and hoping the one they do never appear mention in here.

Gamers care more about some stupid pudles or some grass on a shield that they will ever care for how women are threated in gaming.

Btw last time I posted here I said people will stop caring about this in 3 days. I was wrong. Didn't even lasted 24 hrs until people stop caring.

Most of them never cared about this issues at all.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these people are using ND's marketing misdirection as justification for their garbage behavior. That's all there is to it.

They did the same thing with marketing for the original. Where are the people who're mad that Joel never turned into an infected and Ellie had to execute him?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I guess he's talking about people that are obsessed since he's talking about people going after actors/VAs and the like. Otherwise IDK why a creator/writer would dislike people being attached to their characters

Some (many?) of those people were just acting out with no real attachment though.

Yeah I think he's talking about people hating on the actor for the actions of a fictional character they portrayed. It crosses the line and I think that's why he's very defensive of the game and the people who worked on it. Because while we see him and others maybe getting defensive over a bad review, they are currently receiving the internet firehose of death threats, anti-Semitism, misogyny, and every sort of vile thing you can think of. It takes a toll. Especially when you've poured your life into something and by most accounts it's one of the best games ever.

people are shitty. This place is no better. Hell even some 'journalists' are no better either given how situations like the now deleted tweets by that polygon editor about hunting druckmann. Vile shit

I made some comments about how people shouldn't dogpile CMs with rage over patch delays or not communicating and I was told that they should expect that if they don't talk to people with daily updates. So yeah, gamers in general think a hateful, angry response is appropriate if they aren't catered to and coddled by developers. This was in the Call of Duty thread.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The alt-right and bigot shit is truly detestable and I feel bad for them. I am grateful you can at least discuss this game in this forum, probably the only place where it's possible to share both love and criticism of this game without getting crucified.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, era is no better in this regard. Seemingly everything wrong with ND/Sony/gaming culture is attributed to this one man.

Yep it's getting harder to read ND threads , i should look in a CP 2077 so see if crunch gets bring up no matter the topic .

people are shitty. This place is no better. Hell even some 'journalists' are no better either given how situations like the now deleted tweets by that polygon editor about hunting druckmann. Vile shit

WTF are you serious .

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm getting a "if she didn't want to be raped she shouldn't have worn that" vibe from some posts in here. Pretty fucked up. There's ZERO excuse for how people are acting towards this game, it's artists, VA's etc.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
It's a videogame, you gotta play it.

I saw every trailer for TLOU2 and avoided spoilers. It's a brilliant game and...
I think that I like Abby part better.
Also, aren't Marvel doing extra things in their movie trailers regularly? Why aren't they get shit for it?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's infuriating that the people behind the game are getting death threats, racist, misogynistic, transphobic, and homophobic insults over a game story not playing out how they wanted.