• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

I liked the breakdown of the bottle moment, he shows why it's real and how they blended the running animation into the throwing animation. You can see the seams when going frame by frame but you'll probably never notice it during gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What the hell does "it's fake" even imply? It's obviously all real animation, probably in-engine animation at that? Are people saying it's fake in that it will not be indicative of moment to moment gameplay, because that's probably correct? It's clearly a heavily scripted sequence.
It was the Studio Head of Eidos Montreal (TOMB RAIDER) that said that in a tweet, and people are joking about it.

DfgUbxkU8AA_kaK.jpg

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The biggest thing that struck me as potentially scripted was when Ellie get shot from behind and the bullet grazes her arm, and she reaches up and grabs the wound. Not unbelievable that it could happen, but makes me wonder in what circumstances that would happen in game.

I look forward to watching this when I have time.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
In that it was all scripted and not actual gameplay? That's my feelings. The animation changes are so fluid that I have a hard time believing any of it was real-time gameplay.

Search in your feelings because it's real time gameplay and this sequence can be playable in the way you want

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I've seen Blur studios make really good "fake" gameplay videos, wouldn't be the first time. That being said, I'm pretty sure it's real but HEAVILY scripted, won't make it in the final game. Ghost of tsushima was scripted as hell too.
Do you remember if that "Blur" game you're talking about had an actual playable demo?

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
I'm glad it's coming a year or two from now. Can only get better from here and here itself is HOLYFUCKINGSHITWHATISTHISGAMEEVEN!

SO YEAH. I'm excited for TLoUP2.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
We need to start differentiating between "scripted" and "choreographed"

So many misunderstandings happen in these discussions, just trying to talk about the BFV was nonsense itself

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell does "it's fake" even imply? It's obviously all real animation, probably in-engine animation at that? Are people saying it's fake in that it will not be indicative of moment to moment gameplay, because that's probably correct? It's clearly a heavily scripted sequence.

I think 'fake' tends to mean that the game is handing off to canned, non-interactive moments in the game. As in, sections that imply player control aren't actually influenced by player control.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Watched the first one, but he seems impressed and calls it mind blowing and it seems it is a mix between motion capture, fysics and coverage. And if anyone can do it then it is Naughty Dog.

So much f'ing salt that they can pull this of. And then already the replies without even watching the vid. I hope the mod is on standby for this thread.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
As we found out there is now a dodge button .
So in vid you can see that he was saying is possible for them to build a system around which is most likely the case.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I believe most of us have been through enough game demonstrations to know that they always show the game in the best possible light. Of course the course of a 20 hour journey there will be the odd rough patch or jank but I dont doubt what was shown is 100% in the game.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
That's how you know it was a stellar demo. When people question if it real and call it fake or whatever. Lol. ND devs must be loving it

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People asking for summary have misconceptions to the point of the video. The dev is talking shop and discussing techniques he can identify nearly every second of the video. It's incredibly impressive.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this video makes me appreciate how much effort and attention goes into making good animations. I knew it's hard work, but I didn't appreciate the depth of it until I watched this.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to update that meme for the first few posts ;)

star_trek_ds9__vreenak__meme_its_a_fake__by_borgster93-d8svh5w.png

(It's apparently #notfaked, just people doubting the ND magicians)

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear a professional on it, but it's still lots of guessing. The animations blend so perfectly that it's simply hard to believe

Decima

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was the Studio Head of Eidos Montreal (TOMB RAIDER) that said that in a tweet, and people are joking about it.

DfgUbxkU8AA_kaK.jpg

Not saying that text is justified considering the engine should be mature enough to show what the game will look like by release, but do you remember this?
frank-tzeng-u4-teaserb0sjt.jpg

frank-tzeng-u4-teaserkes0k.jpg

obvious this was smoke and mirrors now considering tlou2 doesn't even match this, but back then everybody believed.

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Video is too long, but I skipped to 35:00 and the guy was hinting at that bit under the car being a cutscene and not gameplay. So the demo could be gameplay blended in with cutscenes? David Anfossi breathing intensifies lol

Oct 26, 2017
The only that the part that seemed borderline scripted to me was in the beginning when she was shoved against a car, and then transitioned into a melee attack into another closing enemy. I can believe bothe pieces separately but the transition was so smooth. Seemed very scripted in that sense. Haven't watched the video yet, but obviously ND has taken a huge leap forward.

I mean they were doing stuff in uncharted 3 where Drake would be up against a bar and would grab a bottle and use when he did a melee attack near a table. Granted it transitions into a very obvious script when he triggered that, but of course they were only going to improve that transition much much more over time to the point that we don't even see the transition anymore.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I think 'fake' tends to mean that the game is handing off to canned, non-interactive moments in the game. As in, sections that imply player control aren't actually influenced by player control.
I assumed, but the way people are talking about the animations seemed to imply something weird and different about this. It should be pretty obvious to people that the majority of that demo was scripted, like 99% of E3 demos.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There shouldn't be any doubt by now. ND is just ahead of everyone else when in comes to cut-scenes and in-game animations.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not saying that text is justified considering the engine should be mature enough to show what the game will look like by release, but do you remember this?

obvious this was smoke and mirrors now considering tlou2 doesn't even match this, but back then everybody believed.
And at that point they even said it's 60fps :/

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

obvious this was smoke and mirrors now but back then everybody believed.
christ this shit again. That was them announcing the game and not gameplay. That was their target for cutscenes. TLOU2 demo was gameplay. Big difference.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Why do so many people equate scripted with fake?

There were plenty of scripted sections in TLoU where the game took over the camera and animations so I don't know why people seem to think that because similar things happen in the gameplay video for the sequel that it's apparently fake?!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is an analysis thread. Please refrain from drive-by posting, even as a joke, as it has the potential to derail. Let's keep this thread on-topic. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
Watched 5 minutes of that so far. Quite informative on how animation works in a game. Never thought about this kind of stuff. Thanks, OP!

Oct 26, 2017
Video is too long, but I skipped to 35:00 and the guy was hinting at that bit under the car being a cutscene and not gameplay. So the demo could be gameplay blended in with cutscenes? David Anfossi breathing intensifies lol

They've been using this blend for a long time. The challenge has been making it more seamless. I think at any point the person in control of that demo could aimed and fired earlier or got from under the vehicle.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The video is not arguing it is not real-time gameplay. It is arguing it is often (but not always) staged/scripted.

It's not even arguing, it's just observing when systemic animations are being used and when longer non-interrupted animations are used, which we see fairly often in the sequence.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Assuming what ND said about mechanical improvements/additions are true, this is straight up moment to moment gameplay.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's basically saying that it looks so good, animation blending wise that people think it's cg or scripted but he believes it's not. It's an artist looking at another artist's work, there's a lot of insight in there.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
I saw another animator tweet about how important good animation is to make your game stand out at events like this, after TLOU demo. Just look at how viral SunhiLegend's tweets get, that probably helps sell a lot of people on the game..

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

That was my unprofessional take as well. There's too much detail, too much subtle nuance. It looks performed. The pistol grip drags along and doesn't clip the ground for instance, but this is a game that will have pistol-class weapons with varying dimensions. It looks too specifically tailored.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
For anybody who doesn't have the spare time and wants to hear in the video producers own words what his summary of the trailer is