• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The only thing I had a hard time believing is that this is going to run on a regular PS4. Got some serious next gen vibes as I was watching it live. I don't doubt for a second that it was actually gameplay.

Why would ND jeopardize their image at one of the biggest gaming conventions of the year? Doesn't make sense.

GoW and Uncharted 4 looked stunning on PS4 so I think it can work.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

They say it is probably systemic a combination of pysics, coverage and motion capture with some scene scripted as in cutscenes like the end of the vid.
Nothing is set in stone yet, but they believe it could be real gameplay seeing naughty dogs track record. I havent seen the second vid yet, will check tonight.

Which second video, by the way?

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Remember this gif from the God of War threads?

wxMe0ZW.gif

After the TLoU E3 showing the faces should be switched up.

And then again when GOW2 drops ;)

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I was blown away when she grabbed the arrow out of the corpse's body and not just reaching for it and having it disappear.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
...or!?

This is a big deal either way, and I can't wait to see it all shake out.

*No, I didn't watch the video yet (I'm at work). Professional speculation is still speculation. I don't want any "hot take" sass for being skeptical. I'm not a hater - this could be one of the greatest achievements in animation, and I truly hope ND is hitting this high watermark.

Personally, I don't like their games, but if that clip was real, it's going to cost me $60.

It's real. No one has even caught up to the TLOU and TLL in animation yet. This looks to raise the bar even higher. Between the panel and this analysis it's pretty clear they have stepped it up again.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the AI behavior wasn't in the game but most of it was, it just didn't happen very often and they basically scripted the AI to use the behaviors rarely in the game. Wasn't a big deal but essentially there are things the AI do 20% of the time that they had them all doing.

http://www.gameondaily.com/what-happened-to-the-last-of-us-a-i/

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/04/14/ellie-knows-stand

Yeah thanx, i knew that but i was wondering about the 80-20. Didn't hear that before.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching the video. Pretty crazy how seamless everything looks. Naughty Dog probably employs a super large team of animators to pull this stuff off.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching the video. Pretty crazy how seamless everything looks. Naughty Dog probably employs a super large team of animators to pull this stuff off.

A lot of it is also clever animation programming. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of "animation AI" to procedurally solve for some of the situations ahed of time based on your actions, so that they can use the proper lead-in animations to make transitions smooth.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it is also clever animation programming. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of "animation AI" to procedurally solve for some of the situations ahed of time based on your actions, so that they can use the proper lead-in animations to make transitions smooth.

Yeah, when the making of features for this game drop, I hope they go into greater detail about animation work for this game.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Don't forget, Sony's ICE-team is also inhouse at Naughty Dog. To quote Cort Stratton (ex-ICE): "Squeezing 5-10 years of performance improvements out of a fixed hardware platform is what console programmers do best!"

It's not so much that I'm surprised they made improvements, as much as their improvements have now crossed the threshold where when I used to see something of this quality, I would immediately reject it as fake, not because I didn't think the hardware was there necessarily, but because animation of that quality just wasn't feasible with the realities of being in gameplay and having to respond well to player input, on any hardware, in my mind. But it seems like they've done it, and I'm pretty blown away.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
People don't fucking understand this.

It's quite hilarious. It's like when I mention that these are some of things that ND keeps improving and explain why Uncharted 4 and Uncharted: LL are most dynamic TPS's I've ever played I don't get a response.

Some times I feel like people play these games on an easy mode and don't actually experiment with the gameplay enough to realize how much they've really done with this system. I think ND just needs to work on pushing this dynamic systems as much as possible. I actually wanted to melee a lot more in TLoU and Uncharted now rather than just shoot people. TLoU is special though because playing on a higher difficulty results in less careless shooting and wasting of resources. It's just extremely satisfying being efficient in this game and getting out of tough situations.

Yeah UC4 had some insane animations that blend well and are pretty dynamic depending on the context. People probably take it for granted or must of forgot but the level of detail in that two year old game is still insane.

Like I'm amazed that TLOU2 looks this good as much as anyone else, but I don't doubt for a second that any of that real. This is just what ND does lol they are laughably good when it comes to this

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the video it seems a lot of prediction of Ellie, Enemy and environment on top of tons of coverage for the key components of the fight. Probably helps that weapons are limited, environment is always relatively close and you can focus on the key aspects. He mentioned the crouching, dodging and moving under objects, which would make it logical to cover these with a lot of coverage in movement and prediction.
They way he talks about the fighting makes it seem like Ellie and the Enemy "dance" when he mentions motion prediction during the different scenes, which generally makes sense in my opinion as fighting is like a "dance". Same goes for covering smaller things during those predictions to make it seem more natural as humans generally have a lot of movement you don't notice at first glance.

Interesting video for sure. =)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Watching the video it seems a lot of prediction of Ellie, Enemy and environment on top of tons of coverage for the key components of the fight. Probably helps that weapons are limited, environment is always relatively close and you can focus on the key aspects. He mentioned the crouching, dodging and moving under objects, which would make it logical to cover these with a lot of coverage in movement and prediction.
They way he talks about the fighting makes it seem like Ellie and the Enemy "dance" when he mentions motion prediction during the different scenes, which generally makes sense in my opinion as fighting is like a "dance". Same goes for covering smaller things during those predictions to make it seem more natural as humans generally have a lot of movement you don't notice at first glance.

Interesting video for sure. =)

It's like one dev said, once you figure everything you said out the rest is just adding content (a really grotesque amount lol).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good video and analysis.

For the record, the author of the video isn't sure if the prone moves and others are scripted or systemic, but ND have already confirmed that all these things, eg going in to prone, squeezing through gaps, hiding under trucks, dodging attacks etc, are all player enabled systemic moves.

Uncharted 4 did something similar, which was completely systemic, so this could potentially be an updated version of that.
kNjf78t.gif

Plus the fear state animation people think isn't in TLOU from the initial demo, actually is in the final game, the reason not everyone replicated it is because it isn't scripted, instead it's something that can happen at any point in the game dynamically based on the situation.

15288604772106694.gif

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It must be the best feeling at ND to be so good at something that people think you're cheating.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Plus the fear state animation people think isn't in TLOU from the initial demo, actually is in the final game, the reason not everyone replicated it is because it isn't scripted, instead it's something that can happen at any point in the game dynamically based on the situation.
Dunno why people doubted that, I saw it several times.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Man I love this stuff. ND are the absolute best in the biz at this so it's not surprising that many are skeptical when no one has done it before. They've consistently been THE standard in animation, and apparently that's not changing anytime soon.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like one dev said, once you figure everything you said out the rest is just adding content (a really grotesque amount lol).
Certainly, the guy in the video mentioned it as well, "huge amount of coverage". But this coverage should be worth it for key components in your systems. Outside of that there isn't much different between a machete, axe or hammer outside of the "side switching" animation.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Watched every minute of the video, was really interesting. Would be pretty cool to see such things from professional game devs more often.

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
He talks a lot about blends. It seems to me that because it's impossible to create and animation for every motion (which is why game movement feels so janky sometimes) the solution might be a type of AI for animation. I'll try and explain how I imagine it could be done but I must give a huge grain of salt here - im not a programmer just a consumer who likes to understand how things work.

Looking at some of the stuff they're doing with AI that looks at an image of say a tiger and can procedurally generate another different completely unique image of another tiger just because it's analysed so many different images of a tiger the AI program knows what a tiger looks like. Wouldn't it be possible to create an AI based animation system that understand how the movement of the character frame works and when an animation is cancelled the AI "fakes" the frames in between the missing animation? This is how i believe ND is doing their animations so smoothly. Rather than trying to animate every possibly outcome they have some sort of system that "fills the gaps" procedurally. I feel like this is the way that games are going to need to be made going forward. There will be human programmed parameters that is required because computer generated stuff is boring (no mans sky anyone?) but using AI to fill things out seems like a really good solution to a lot of problems games developers are having with massive amounts of work from animation to eventually interactive speech.

Anyway don't mind me I'm just loving this trailer and hoping it really will be able to be played like that.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it looks imposible to te real, but Even if I'm not a naughty dog fan, they set the bar in animations with every new release (to me is the biggest strength of the studio, more than graphics/story).

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the AI behavior wasn't in the game but most of it was, it just didn't happen very often and they basically scripted the AI to use the behaviors rarely in the game. Wasn't a big deal but essentially there are things the AI do 20% of the time that they had them all doing.

i have played TLOU over 7 times. 3 times on each difficulty on both the PS3 and PS4 versions and NG+ on Suvivor, and i never thought it looked this bad. this makes the game look like shit wow. It's crazy how the A.I was dumbed down for the final game. This makes me question a lot of things in the TLOU2 gameplay demo especially when it comes to A.I routines and final graphics.

Did the game really look that bad on the PS3? Thats a major graphical downgrade from that E3 demo.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Seriously shocked/shook at how good the animation is in this game. I hope this demo is not setting me up for a huge disappoinment when my playthrough will not resemble theirs.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
There is reason to have reservations after that showing of the game. The first showing of the original game was different in certain aspects from the final game. However, I am firmly in the boat that this demo, while probably heavily scripted, is pretty much what we are going to get. If there is any developer who has the magic to get it done and deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's Naughty Dog.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Guys, it's real time with some clear cut scripted engagements. This is ND, we all know they do shit like this all the time. The draw back is that we surrender control at certain parts.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty egregious cuts in the quality of TLoU's AI in its final form. I find it unacceptable to be lied to like that.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Track Record? Lmao, they were caught lying about The Last of Us.

Pretty egregious cuts in the quality of TLoU's AI in its final form. I find it unacceptable to be lied to like that.

The Last of Us E3 presentation is quite possibly the only time where gameplay failed to match the final product 1-1. Like someone said earlier in this thread, ND had to fit all the animations in only 9mb of RAM.

TLoU 2 isn't limited by ancient tech. Just look at what they achieved in UC4, which came out 2 years ago.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uncharted 4 has literally the best animation system in the industry.

If there is one developer who could make this, it is ND.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017

Yep, normally, the enemies basically just acted like the enemies in Uncharted.

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno what everyone is fighting about. Game looks great, ND has always had awesome animation and transitions. God of war didn't have them and I consider that the best game I've ever played. It's now on top of my old favorite Zelda oot. Im sure other games I'll play and love more than this won't have animation like this and I still won't care.

Sony shares tech between studios, im sure they gave ND a.. ton of money to do these things. Everyone arguing is just silly. With the right amount of money any studio can pull this off. Constantly screaming "naughty gods" is just silly...

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
i have played TLOU over 7 times. 3 times on each difficulty on both the PS3 and PS4 versions and NG+ on Suvivor, and i never thought it looked this bad. this makes the game look like shit wow. It's crazy how the A.I was dumbed down for the final game. This makes me question a lot of things in the TLOU2 gameplay demo especially when it comes to A.I routines and final graphics.

Did the game really look that bad on the PS3? Thats a major graphical downgrade from that E3 demo.

Half the video is filmed off-screen with a camera, not with a capture card. That's why it looks like garbage.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, my friend is telling me that the facial animations on the enemies are pre-rendered. Is that even possible in-game?

I am not a tech guy so idk maybe I am misunderstanding what he is saying?