• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
25829879.gif

I wish people wouldn't respond to statements like that as if it's some weird thing when what you're implying is actually the unpopular opinion.

vpcKdAe.jpg

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I wish people wouldn't respond to statements like that as if it's some weird thing when what you're implying is actually the unpopular opinion.

vpcKdAe.jpg
That's what's up. I'm surprised by the responses I get for my "controversial" opinion.

Just a overall excellent and well executed cb movie considering they mashed two trilogies together.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Use your words and not RT as a handicap.

I'm sure there's no bias in you replying to my post with that and not the person who replied only with a GIF.

I was replying to someone acting as if another person was weird for his opinion on a movie. Using RT isn't a handicap. It's meant to show that his opinion isn't weird. A perfectly valid response.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there's no bias in you replying to my post with that and not the person who replied only with a GIF.

I was replying to someone acting as if another person was weird for his opinion on a movie. Using RT isn't a handicap. It's meant to show that his opinion isn't weird. A perfectly valid response.
I love the movie, but it goes both ways.

"I like this movie." Someone posts 30% RT rating.
"This movie sucks." Someone posts 90% RT as if that makes the other person wrong automatically.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I love the movie, but it goes both ways.

"I like this movie." Someone posts 30% RT rating.
"This movie sucks." Someone posts 90% RT as if that makes the other person wrong automatically.

I think you're missing the point a bit. I'm not arguing the opinion itself, only the idea that Dirt's opinion was weird or unheard of when it is actually the opposite. I explained this above.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Highly doubt it's the worst Xmen film. Origins: Wolverine and X3 are pretty fucking bad, I doubt this will be that bad. Even Apocalypse wasn't that bad.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Highly doubt it's the worst Xmen film. Origins: Wolverine and X3 are pretty fucking bad, I doubt this will be that bad. Even Apocalypse wasn't that bad.
Apocalypse wasn't all that far from being Last Stand/Wolverine levels of bad. Dark Phoenix with Kinberg can definitely reach those lows or even exceed them.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Use your words and not RT as a handicap.

Days of Future Past was legitimately good, though. It has its issues, such as relying way too much on Hugh Jackman to carry the movie and not doing enough with the future segments, but the Sentinels were actually done well, Fassbender continued to kill it as Magneto and the whole movie focused more on characters than conflict. It was overall a much more well written and thought out movie than most of the other X-Men movies.

Compare and contrast to Apocalypse, which was just one giant cgi fest that was barely faithful to the original comics, did basically nothing with the characters it introduced and seemingly went out of its way to mess with the continuity Days of Future Past tried very hard to establish.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, how far X-Men movies have fallen. We went from Days of Future Past to this.
Guess we'll have to wait for MCU

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
As a huge X-Men fan, I'm not surprised. The series has been slipping for a while. I finally got around to watching Apocalypse and thought it was pretty mediocre. It's also weird watching Sophie Turner speak with an American accent.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which one is worst - X3 or Origins Wolverine?

I've never been able to decide. I remember more of OW, so maybe it's better than X3?

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly still pissed we never got another movie with the original cast after DOFP. Like, what was even the point of deleting X3 from continuity if you weren't gonna go back and do another film with that cast?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Writing was smeared on the wall. New Mutants is going to be an even bigger go around the carousel of shit too.

Marvel Fox going out with a poof rather than a bang. Kinberg was so in over his head.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A quick reminder that the writer of this movie, who also wrote Last Stand, said he wanted it to be "grounded" and "not too intergalactic. "

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

vpcKdAe.jpg
Yeah, well, sometimes i wonder if i saw the same movie as everyone else.

I'm not sure how you can say it's one of the best super hero films ever when even within its own franchise you have a relative masterpiece like Logan.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing how they managed to...

Gives us three movies to push a terrible Mystique as a protagonist down our throats and they kill her in the first act like a red shirt, awesome

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
These characters are my favorote from the Marvel comics, It's a shame that after DoFP, the X-Men movies are not doing that great (not counting Logan or Deadpool)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Storm with an umbrella means this shit gon be 100% trash
It's the little things
There was a time when New Mutants was my most anticipated movie of 2018.
Sigh...

Hey, you can't expect her to be on her A game all the time.
That is one of the subconscious effects of her powers, that climate doesn't effect her. It is like seeing Iceman wearing a jacket in the artic
This is what happens when you give the same dude another shot at an adaptation he already fucking botched
Don't forget he was hired to fix "Fantastic"

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
The most we can hope for is that Disney pushes it to streaming if the Fox deal closes this month so that it doesn't damage the X-Men brand further. And I'm sure they want to do the Dark Phoenix story right in the future.

But that's unlikely too.

I hope they give it room to breath. There's so much more than Phoenix/Dark Phoenix to the X-Men line.

Oct 31, 2017
This movie is gonna be so bad it's gonna get like nine characters put on a blacklist by Marvel of "okay we need to wait for the stink to wear off before we use these again"

Hopefully so, the way Fox drove the same X-Men into the ground movie after movie was so boring escpically consider just how many cool X-men characters there are.

If we don't see much Wolverine, Xavier and Magneto for a long time it will still be too soon.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Bold statement: The story is bad and that's why

I wonder how many here and what % of the general public are familiar with the source material. It's pretty batshit crazy. Mastermind. Hellfire Club. Emma. Shi'ar Empire. Genocide. Moon battle. A true adaption of Dark Phoenix is not really possible unless it's a trilogy. Even then it would need to be edited significantly.

The MCU has been brilliant at distilling convoluted and complicated stories (Civil War, Infinity, formation of the Avengers, Ultron, etc.) down to what's important. How? They focus on the characters and the relationships. Everything else flows around that. The X-Men have not received a similar treatment under Fox.

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why FOX are so persistent with the Dark Phoenix saga. I'm not really well versed in famous X-Men storylines, but there has to be other/better X-Men stories then the Dark Phoenix saga. It also doesn't help that they still persist with making Mystique the main character, when Jennifer Lawrence clearly doesn't give a fuck, and Jean Grey is a side-character in her own storyline.

Some of these actors (McAvoy, Fassbender) deserved a better ending.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why FOX are so persistent with the Dark Phoenix saga. I'm not really well versed in famous X-Men storylines, but there has to be other/better X-Men stories then the Dark Phoenix saga. It also doesn't help that they still persist with making Mystique the main character, when Jennifer Lawrence clearly doesn't give a fuck, and Jean Grey is a side-character in her own storyline.

Some of these actors (McAvoy, Fassbender) deserved a better ending.

Kinberg is obsessed with Dark Phoenix. That's the long and short of it. Nobody else really cares about that story as much as he does.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I'd be shocked if they cancel it, most likely they're obligated to put it into a theater contractually. The same thing happened with the last Kevin Spacey movie and the studio dumped it into I think 1 theater over a weekend and wrote off the rest. People are still going to see this though so why not just release it wide with very little marketing and see how it does. All cancelling it does is makes it into the same kind of cultish movie as that F4 movie from the 90's that was never released. People will bootleg or torrent copies and Fox will make about $0 off of something they could've at least made a little money back off of.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Hopefully so, the way Fox drove the same X-Men into the ground movie after movie was so boring escpically consider just how many cool X-men characters there are.

If we don't see much Wolverine, Xavier and Magneto for a long time it will still be too soon.

Honestly I'd love to see a trickle of mutants dropped into the MCU and built up kind of like how the avengers were given origins before they were thrown together. Make it a whole thing of how did the mutation begin and how are they going to band together. They could really take it off into an interesting and new direction if they just slow burn it.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
lol I don't know it got an 84% audience score.

The constant use of Rottentomatoes/Metacritic-Scores on this forum and this thread as a crutch to delegitimize other people's opinions is so tiring.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen also got a 57% Userscore which means more people on that site liked it than didn't - guess people are wrong if they think it's actually bad! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many here and what % of the general public are familiar with the source material. It's pretty batshit crazy. Mastermind. Hellfire Club. Emma. Shi'ar Empire. Genocide. Moon battle. A true adaption of Dark Phoenix is not really possible unless it's a trilogy. Even then it would need to be edited significantly.

The MCU has been brilliant at distilling convoluted and complicated stories (Civil War, Infinity, formation of the Avengers, Ultron, etc.) down to what's important. How? They focus on the characters and the relationships. Everything else flows around that. The X-Men have not received a similar treatment under Fox.
Probably not a lot

But i feel like this is one of those things that's not worth adapating, sometimes the MCU decides that for better or for worse. I think this is gonna be one of those stories. As far as the treatment you are right, only a few characters get focused on and some outright just shat on. There isn't enough in universe set up for this

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I love how obvious it is that Mystique dies in the first act just based on the first trailer. We see her in like one single scene. We then cut to a funeral where we see most of the other characters except her.

And then we see Hank after the funeral, back at the mansion, angry and crying. And THEN we see Hank join Magneto's side.

Gee, I wonder what happened!