• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Should you not disparage a product and service that you're paying for that isn't working?
Yes you should, but you should use the correct terms for what has actually happened else you'll look like you're just starting crap

Anyway I've passed this onto TPC just in case they weren't aware

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I can't believe this has already become a discussion about the semantics of discussing the problem, rather than the problem itself.

Discussion of Pokemon has become really fucking twisted huh?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So extend my analogy to any time a glitch has unintentionally excluded certain members of an online game from accessing matchmaking. Those players were not banned and neither are you.
they effectively are though. Again this is ultimately a semantic arguement, because the end result on my end as a player isn't really all that different either way if they accidentally caused a blanket ban or this is just the result of some other issue

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Aren't ranked battles also tied to VGC? I can't see how this is overblown if a simple maitenance can wipe the boards, imagine if this happened in May or June.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What does this even mean? What are you referring to? I don't understand.

Jump to conclusions about what? The readily observable situation?

You think people should wait for the corporate statement on a situation without observing it or discussing it at all?

what the fuck is this post?

are they banned or there was an issue on their maintenance?

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe this has already become a discussion about the semantics of discussing the problem, rather than the problem itself.

What would you like to discuss? This sucks and I hope they fix it as soon as possible.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
So a game bug that will likely be fixed in a couple hours / days is now a controversy? And all because very few cases?

Seriously people are getting ridiculous.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
they effectively are though. Again this is ultimately a semantic arguement, because the end result on my end as a player isn't really all that different either way if they accidentally caused a blanket ban or this is just the result of some other issue

Yeah it's very semantic so I'll acquiescence in favor of the people actually affected by what is, however you name it, a supremely annoying situation.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Out of the Millions of players what exactly is the number of people affected. Too many times a miniscule minority of people have issues and we are told a hot take that everyone is suffering.

First off, the title is pretty clear that this affects only people in a certain rank, so by default "everyone" won't be suffering.

Second, are we at the point where we can't have the basic, minimal competence in expressing empathy by saying "yeah, that does suck for them and that is a problem" just because it may not personally affect you?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Well considering it is based on the premise that they're banned when they haven't been. It's part of the antagonism that's happening regarding Pokémon right now.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get why people are upset, but the way this issue is being presented in the OP is kinda over the top.
As it is obviously an accident and not intentional, I don't see how this is even comparable to the other "controversies" linked to the game.

This will probably be fixed soon.

(Also, I'm only Level 9, so everyone above me is obviously a cheater and deserves to be banned.)

It comes off very as a very first world privileged type of post. People should take a small break from Pokémon until it's fixed. No one is banned here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
what the fuck is this post?

are they banned or there was an issue on their maintenance?
What? I am so confused, why the hostility?

People are sharing an experience and trying to discover why this is happening. The experience seems to indicate they have been banned, likely erroneously. We don't know what is happening specifically or why.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well considering it is based on the premise that they're banned when they haven't been. It's part of the antagonism that's happening regarding Pokémon right now.
Whether it was an accidental ban or some other bug, the end result is identical. The exact system through which this occured is literally irrelevant and obviously nobody thinks this was done intentionally

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so all the advanced rank players are locked out.

Is it time to for us noobs to make our move?

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017
"But this is a particularly stunning display of incompetence."

You guys have got to chill out on this attitude. This is likely a bug or glitch or something unintentional. Games are made by people and people make mistakes. Give them a minute to try and fix it.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes you should, but you should use the correct terms for what has actually happened else you'll look like you're just starting crap
i'm not sure it really matters when the end result is people not being able to play their game. it is weird that you're more bothered by this instead of people being locked out of a mode.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"But this is a particularly stunning display of incompetence."

You guys have got to chill out on this attitude. This is likely a bug or glitch or something unintentional. Games are made by people and people make mistakes. Give them a minute to try and fix it.
I mean it wouldn't be incompetence if it was something they intended to do. The fact that a routine maintenance has led to such an annoying accident is what we're upset about. No sane person thinks gamefreak is doing this on purpose, that's not the point and trying to frame it like that just feels like deflecting the issue

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
God damn this thread is scary.

I hope this is just a glitch and that it gets fixed for you soon OP. I would be pretty bummed as well if I had all that progress halted.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
i'm not sure it really matters when the end result is people not being able to play their game. it is weird that you're more bothered by this instead of people being locked out of a mode.
Probably because I'm a programmer and know how this stuff can easily happen.

Like I said, I've passed it onto TPCi so hopefully it can be resolved

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Why are people exchanging the word ban with communication error to the server? If I get a similar message on Resetera my first assumption wouldn't be a ban unless it's explicitly stated.

Hopefully the problem gets resolved soon.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think the issue is certain people in the fan base freaking out, ready with stakes and to drop the entire series over a bug during maintenance. People are so damn privileged in the gaming community and expect everything to work immediately, and if something doesn't, it was done with malicious intent and it's anti consumer.

This shit is tiring and I have no problem with people calling it out.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why are people exchanging the word ban with communication error to the server? If I get a similar message on Resetera my first assumption wouldn't be a ban unless it's explicitly stated.

Because of the current ire towards Game Freak for certain things

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

because the end result is literally identical regardless of the exact system that's causing this error

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With Galar Beginnings tomorrow hopefully all the issues are sorted before that starts.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody has been banned. It's just an error message.

There will likely be another emergency maintenence in a few hours to fix the issue.

OP
OP
Theorymon

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Something I want to be clear about here that I guess people didn't get from the OP: The main reason the competitive fanbase is pissed is because of the apparent erasing of ratings. If they end up rolling it back and everything is fixed, then that'd be wonderful, and this can just be a funny story we talk about in years to come in the competitive community. If they don't fix it though, thats dozens of hours wasted for the competitive community.

It's more than just building a team, competitive Pokemon is tough and rewarding just from the laddering alone. If all that time is wasted because of a server screw up, and the ratings cant be restored, then that's a major blow to the trust of laddering in my opinion. Whose to say next season, all my hard work planning out teams and competing for a higher ranking won't be wasted because of another screw up? If the ranking system isn't stable, what's the point of even playing the competitive modes online?

Again, if Gamefreak rolls back this issue and fixes this, I'm more than happy to contact a mod to close this thread, because it won't be needed anymore. I have no intention on dragging gamefreak / Nintendo / TPC / whoever through the mud, nor do I have some sort of agenda against the game. In fact, I've been enjoying the competitive aspects of the game a lot until this happened! But, I still think this is a piece of news that's worth highlighting, and I posted it because it relates to one of my passions.

Will

Oct 26, 2017

This isn't an issue of the servers being down. Most people can still play the game but people who were in Master Ball Tier cannot. The game is barring specific people from competing. This is commonly referred to as being banned.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Something I want to be clear about here that I guess people didn't get from the OP: The main reason the competitive fanbase is pissed is because of the apparent erasing of ratings. If they end up rolling it back and everything is fixed, then that'd be wonderful, and this can just be a funny story we talk about in years to come in the competitive community. If they don't fix it though, thats dozens of hours wasted for the competitive community.

It's more than just building a team, competitive Pokemon is tough and rewarding just from the laddering alone. If all that time is wasted because of a server screw up, and the ratings cant be restored, then that's a major blow to the trust of laddering in my opinion. Whose to say next season, all my hard work planning out teams and competing for a higher ranking won't be wasted because of another screw up? If the ranking system isn't stable, what's the point of even playing the competitive modes online?

Again, if Gamefreak rolls back this issue and fixes this, I'm more than happy to contact a mod to close this thread, because it won't be needed anymore. I have no intention on dragging gamefreak / Nintendo / TPC / whoever through the mud, nor do I have some sort of agenda against the game. In fact, I've been enjoying the competitive aspects of the game a lot until this happened! But, I still think this is a piece of news that's worth highlighting, and I posted it because it relates to one of my passions.
Then you should be waiting until they react to the bug instead of making an exaggerated thread with the title "the latest controversy" where it's just a simple glitch, for now and nobody has gotten banned.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
How dare people be upset a major feature of the game has stopped working for them and that a rank they spent a lot of time and effort obtaining might be completely wiped even after the fix occurs?
They can be upset, but it is a bug, it is not intendend. So this can't be describe as a controversy like the dexit.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
No. It isn't at all.
Yeah I was corrected above, thanks though.
I mean it wouldn't be incompetence if it was something they intended to do. The fact that a routine maintenance has led to such an annoying accident is what we're upset about. No sane person thinks gamefreak is doing this on purpose, that's not the point and trying to frame it like that just feels like deflecting the issue
Personally I'm just straight up surprised that a backwards ass system of having ranked battled tied to a website all this time has so far been more reliable then just online through NSO.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because the end result is literally identical regardless of the exact system that's causing this error

No the current state would be similar, but also different if the wording differs from an actual ban message when compared to a general communication error. The End state of being banned, especially permanently banned, is entirely different from a current communication error.

Having differences Literally implies that they are not "literally identical "...

Will

Oct 26, 2017
Sejun did get banned. Whether that was on purpose or an accident it still happened.