• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 18, 2018

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3P4MVLv1cI

According to Japanese media jisakuhibi, when using the variable refresh rate synchronization (VRR) function of the Sony PS5, temporary flickering and display panel burn-in may occur. This new issue appears to have a link to the latest update. While there is no fix for the issue as of now, it appears that not all unit experiences the problem.

More at link: https://www.gizchina.com/2022/07/10...burn-in-when-using-variable-refresh-rate-vrr/

Sourced article (Japanese): https://jisakuhibi.jp/news/playstation5-vrr-cause-lcd-monitor-flicker-and-burnin

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
If true and introduced in the latest patch then it should be fixable right?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having trouble understanding how/why a screen behavior (burn in) like this could be connected to VRR functionality. I'll wait on more coverage before taking this at face value as a real risk.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Wouldn't burn in be a screen issue?

Screen flickering could be either or and if it's just happening now after the update then it might just be the PS5 then… I don't know how or why, but I guess that's an example of an unforeseen and unpredictable glitch

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
I don't understand how someone can relate a fairly new software feature to being the cause of screen burn which is an issue that occurs over time. Makes no sense.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Why would screen flickering cause burn-in? Even if we're exclusively talking about OLED panels, that still makes no sense, and reads like they don't seem to understand how burn-in happens.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I know BFI has been linked to some burn-in and/or image retention issues on some LCDs, but I'm not really sure how VRR relates to that on an OLED, and if it does why it would be relegated to PS5s specifically.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Yeah I dunno about this, wouldn't flickering have the exact opposite effect on burn in...?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I know BFI has been linked to some burn-in and/or image retention issues on some LCDs, but I'm not really sure how VRR relates to that on an OLED, and if it does why it would be relegated to PS5s specifically.

Yeah, can see VRR causing flickering if it's having some sync issues and that highlighting image retention issues like BFI does - it would be effectively the same thing.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't understand how VRR would cause/affect burn-in as well.

Still, LG C1 seems fine; no issues here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Can Sony be sued? How is this even possible? Legal -Era? Is this illegal?

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
Excuse me but, that's not how burn ins work.

This is a new low of stupid (OLED) burn in scaremongering.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
I'd recommend updating the title. Image retention and burn-in aren't the same thing.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure why the game dimming between every frame would cause burn in. If anything it would reduce it …

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
LCDs can absolutely get burn-in, it's just much less likely than an OLED or plasma screen.
That said, this seems to be some nonsense article. It has a fake PS5 in the headline picture

Oh I know, but the use case here is NOT what would cause LCD burn in. You really have to abuse it over a very long time.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I don't know what the hell happened to Sony when it comes to general A/V tech. They were the undisputed kings during the Trinitron 90s golden age, but lately their stuff has been lacking. Their TV's were slow to get HDMI 2.1 and many didn't support VRR properly. Now's there's the PS5 with its somewhat sketchy VRR mode and lack of 1440p output (even though some Sony TV's only support 120hz at 1440p). The hardware isn't bad, but it's usually overpriced compared to the more fully featured competition. I just expect better from a company that used to be THE company for A/V.

I hope their new gamer-focused brand turns out well.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are we still in 2020 and don't have a real pic of PS5?! lol

m170647_.jpg

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that's why PS5 Ghostwire's main menu flickered on my TV yesterday.

But I've had flickering in certain situations on my PC hooked up to the same TV because of VRR.

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this is like the temporary image retention on some IPS displays that the NES mini caused when using the CRT filter. Quickly flickering images can cause that. I've heard of it with people who use bob deinterlacing as well.

Edit:
Looked up the display they're using, and sure enough it's an IPS monitor. Whoever wrote that article doesn't know what burn in is, but I do understand a user would probably be freaked out if they saw it on their display.