• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
No news or info about this yet but i powered on my PS5 and was prompted to download and install v20.02-2.26....already minor version bum from .25.

Cue the stability gif.

EDIT (Dec 9th 2020):
v20.02-02.30.00 released

Last edited:
OP
OP
RestEerie

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
these new version numbers are sure something

these version numbers may seems cumbersome for the layman but as an enterprise IT, these long strings of numbers more likely represent a better versioning and indexing of different major and minor builds and thus much useful for the system engineers themselves.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm guessing 2.26 is the version of the firmware. And the 20.02 means February 2020?

The Hiveking

Oct 27, 2017
ayeMMmV_700bwp.webp

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Slow and steady does it, Sony, it's a long road to the King of stability, the PS quadruple.

But seriously, I hope it solves some of the crashing I'm seeing, mostly when something is being installed/downloaded in the background whilst playing something.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Just logged into my PS5 and wanted to play some Demons Souls and it just sits at the loading screen, hopefully this update fixes that.

Edit: Yay it does.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
ok, number guessing game!!!

v . year . number of update - version of firmware

Also release patchnotes Sony FFS ^^

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Updated. Have been having game crashes since day 1 due to error CE-108255-1.

Tried Astrobot, game crashed in less than 2 minutes lol.

Edit - Miles Morales crashed right when the playstation studios logo popped up lol.

Well there goes my PS5 becoming a Netflix machine again.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not expecting anything just yet but please, Sony, just fix HDR for the love of god. I can't think of a reason why it doesn't work exactly the way it did on PS4.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really thought it would fix the crashes I've been getting for every game.

I hope the new PS5 I'm grabbing this Friday doesn't have the same problem. Or else ima just be pissed.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Man I really thought it would fix the crashes I've been getting for every game.

I hope the new PS5 I'm grabbing this Friday doesn't have the same problem. Or else ima just be pissed.

ah Fuck :/
sorry to hear...It would be nice if they at least acknowledged this issue and gave a clear word on wether it´s fixeable or a hardware defect.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
What's the HDR issue?

Is this connected to why I'm finding games way too dark compared to PS4, or am I just shit at setting up my settings?
I cut HDR off as soon as I tried two games I normally played on my PS4 Pro and one PS5 game Godfall. Oh and not to mention the dashboard, everything was dark as fuck. Maybe in the future when I get a more high end 4K tv with HDR10+ and such it will be better but for now I can live without it just fine.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The HDR looks fine but the fact that I need to manually turn HDR on and off in the system settings when switching between HDR and SDR content, rather than the system detecting it automatically like it does on PS4.

Yeah it's annoying, specially since the active HDR for SDR doesn't turn these games into HDR games like Xbox, all it does is basically, without a question, reducing the image quality for all SDR games to some degree.

Last edited:

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Updated. Have been having game crashes since day 1 due to error CE-108255-1.

Tried Astrobot, game crashed in less than 2 minutes lol.

Edit - Miles Morales crashed right when the playstation studios logo popped up lol.

Well there goes my PS5 becoming a Netflix machine again.
I doubt this will be fixed by a System update. There is something wrong with your unit for sure.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that. I should've assumed it was my error lol

No bother!

On the bright side at least you don't have to shutdown a game just to enable hdr in system settings now.

Yeah, that's something at least. It's a shame how much the PS4's OS began to chug in recent years, especially when other apps are open. So being able to fly through menu and not have to shut stuff down to toggle some settings is a relief.

Yeah it's annoying, specially since the active HDR for SDR doesn't turn these games into HDR games like Xbox, all it does is basically, without a question, reducing the image quality.l for all SDR games to some degree.

Definitely. It's a baffling decision really and hopefully it can be changed relatively soon.