• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
So as you know Steam does server maintenance every Tuesday. Well this time something went horribly wrong.

Many users are reporting that previously owned games and DLC in their libraries are now asking them to purchase them to play. The thing is if you try to purchase them the Store won't let you as it says said content is already in their library. So long story short you can't play the games.

Here's what it looks like on my end for DBD:

52aca71706732c954d5d3454d90f14a0.png

As you can seen even though I have over 600 hours in the game, Steam thinks I don't own it. For some reason of all the DBD DLC which I own, only 2 are still in my library. Other games that I now can't play include Doom, They Bleed Pixels, Life is Strange 2 (but it's still saying I own all the DLC), and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

The problem is big enough to get the attention of the official DBD account:

For the record restarting Steam or signing out of your account does nothing to fix the issue.

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Doom Eternal started updating when I signed into Steam. No idea if it still works, but I get this when I try downloading Wolfenstein TNO and TNC.

bZJSwxl.jpg

OP
OP
¡ B 0 0 P !

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
So it appears the Steam store is aware we still have these games in our libraries as it won't let us buy the already owned games again. Purchases for new games still go through, even though you can't install/play them.

The problem is on the account end. Possibly to do with some kind of ownership verification? I don't know what Valve did.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
So it appears the Steam store is aware we still have these games in our libraries as it won't let us buy the already owned games again. Purchases for new games still go through, even though you can't install/play them.

The problem is on the account end. Possibly to do with some kind of ownership verification? I don't know what Valve did.

WTF Wolfenstein II just disappeared from my library all together.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, my copy of Shadow of the Tomb Raider (that I bought via Humble sale) is showing a big ol' Purchase button now.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
As you can seen even though I have over 600 hours in the game, Steam thinks I don't own it. For some reason of all the DBD DLC which I own, only 2 are still in my library. Other games that I now can't play include Doom, They Bleed Pixels, Life is Strange 2 (but it's still saying I own all the DLC), and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.
How were these purchased?
I seem to recall Bethesda doing something a few years ago which increased regional restrictions and locked people out of games like Fallout: New Vegas that were purchased from Russia. Perhaps it's something similar.
All of the games people have mentioned so far are still accessible in my library.

wild_one

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Dark Souls Remastered is showing "Purchase" in my Library, "Play Now" in the store page, and the executable gives me a Steam error if I try and run it directly.

And quick edit, updated to newer beta Steam launcher, and it's fine again.

Last edited:

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Oh I guess I didn't need to go to all the trouble auditing my library vs licenses and submitting that support ticket...

senj

Nov 6, 2017
How were these purchased?
I seem to recall Bethesda doing something a few years ago which increased regional restrictions and locked people out of games like Fallout: New Vegas that were purchased from Russia. Perhaps it's something similar.
All of the games people have mentioned so far are still accessible in my library.
For me, if I had it installed, its still in my Library but with a "Purchase" button. If it wasn't installed its not in my Library (but Steam still knows I own it, in the Store or in my account licenses).

None of these were bought from other regions or anything. Weird glitch.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
All my games were purchased on Steam using Steam gift cards or my paypal account. I've never used an offsite source or VPN tricks.
That sounds like it's definitely a glitch on Steam's end then, and not something like new regional restrictions coming into effect or stolen keys being revoked - though I think the latter notifies you.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein: The New Order has vanished from my library as well.

Doom 2016 too.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm...no such thing happen to my library (1084 games). All my games are purchased using cc and steam wallet.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like its Bethesda related games for me.

Fallout 4 and New Vegas are both gone, but Skyrim: SE remains.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Might be unrelated to the current issue? Sometimes stuff just vanishes from my library and I have to restart the client. I assume it's just a client side glitch or something

Maybe, but it's still not there after restarting the client a couple times. As long as they aren't going to make me buy it again. It still knows I own it despite it not being listed to download.

IANmdDx.jpg

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Buying that bundle of DLC for Shadow of the Tomb Raider (was waiting for it to go on sale, anyway) seems to have resolved the problem for me.

Obviously not an ideal solution, but... 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
¡ B 0 0 P !

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Maybe, but it's still not there after restarting the client a couple times. As long as they aren't going to make me buy it again. It still knows I own it despite it not being listed to download.

Steam is still showing my complete purchase history and all my game/content licenses I own when I go into my account details. So thankfully it should be easy for Valve to solve this problem. Frankly I'm not sure how games being on sale would cause the licenses to be de-listed from user libraries in the first place.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Steam is still showing my complete purchase history and all my game/content licenses I own when go into my account details. So thankfully it should be easy for Valve to solve this problem. Frankly I'm not sure how games being on sale would cause the licenses to be de-listed from user libraries in the first place.

Sounds like something I'd expect from Epic's store.

OP
OP
¡ B 0 0 P !

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Not any: I'm able to launch certain games that are on sale, including Bethesda published games in the Quakecon sale (Rage 2, Skyrim, Wolf: Youngblood) and even a few non Bethesda games that are on sale.

Which just adds to the oddity of this.

Hmmm. That's weird. So the delisted games are all on sale, but not all games on sale have been delisted.

What the hell is going on then?

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Weird, I went to check my Bethesda games, which are on sale, and they all show in my library and I can install them no problem.

Went to check LiS:BtS since that apparently also was having problems, but its fine on my end.

No idea what's going on.

OP
OP
¡ B 0 0 P !

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Weird, I went to check my Bethesda games, which are on sale, and they all show in my library and I can install them no problem.

Went to check LiS:BtS since that apparently also was having problems, but its fine on my end.

No idea what's going on.

The issue is only happening for random users. Not everybody. Whatever happened is a mystery until Valve comes out and makes a statement.

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
Bought Roombo: First Blood about 30 minutes ago now. Won't show up in my Library but the store page and my purchase history states I own it. Got the e-mail receipt, too. Hmm.

Mark It Zero!

Apr 24, 2020
DOOM 2016,Skyrim SE, Wolfenstein NO, OB, NC are gone from my library, Peggle and all 3 Dishonored games ask for purchase.
EDIT: Add Spyro, Rise and Shadow TR to that list. There's probably more.
EDIT2: Restarted Steam and everything is there again lol.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodstained ROTN showed up as "purchase" when I clicked the game on my library. I already bought the game and have it currently installed on my computer.

I got some Bethesda games in my library too (Skyrim, DOOM, Dishonored) but they're still available on my library.

Something's wrong with Steam today. Luckily my purchase of the game is still in my purchase history so here's hoping Valve gets this problem fixed soon.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reminded that this happened to me with Skyrim Legendary Edition without me knowing one day, and I forgot how I added it back since it's no longer sold on Steam (maybe a reddit link to it's delisted page).

Thankfully my Skyrim games are still in my library.

I wouldn't even know how to scan my list for games I might be missing. I probably wouldn't know half of the games I own off the top of my head.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm reminded that this happened to me with Skyrim Legendary Edition without me knowing one day, and I forgot how I added it back since it's no longer sold on Steam (maybe a reddit link to it's delisted page).

I wouldn't even know how to scan my list for games I might be missing. I probably wouldn't know half of the games I own off the top of my head.
Same. I don't even know what games I have on Steam anymore. That's what a decade of sales and bundles will do to ya

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
checked through my library and nothing mentioned in the thread seems to be missing/asking me to purchase.

bizarre that it seems to be tied to games currently on sale, hope they're clear about what happened when they fix it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I barely remember the games I have, how the fuck am I going to know if I'm missing something that I don't remember owning?

Goddamnit.

senj

Nov 6, 2017

If you go to Account > Licenses and Product Key Activations, it shows you a full list of everything. The games that I'm missing in my Library still show up in this list, so it's easy to figure out what disappeared.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought Life is Strange 2 on sale two hours ago and was wondering why it wouldn't show up in my library no matter all the tricks suggested on google. Good to know I'm not the only one with issues.

Last edited: