• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Latest Windows 10 April 2018 1803 update has created sound issues

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I no longer have 5.1 sound with the windows 10 1803 April 2018 update... I am using a soundblaster z.

anyone else have an issue since update?

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Have you owned a mac in the past few years?
Anyway yes, reinstall your creative drivers and you should get it back. Same thing happens on my xfi with some updates.
Macs let me ignore updates for as long as I want.

The incessant prompts still piss me off though.

Oct 27, 2017
I no longer have 5.1 sound with the windows 10 1803 April 2018 update... I am using a soundblaster z.
anyone else have an issue since update?
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers? Big OS updates usually require that for everything to work as expected with Creative's software.
I have multichannel audio working with an old X-Fi card on 1803, so I would expect the newer Sound Blaster Z to still be working.
Macs let me ignore updates for as long as I want.
A Pro license lets you defer feature updates for ~15 months on Windows 10.
Security updates are far shorter though, due to their importance. Being able to ignore updates indefinitely is not a good thing.
Because creative hasn’t updated it’s drivers. Blame manufacturers.
Manufacturers shouldn't have to update their drivers for every new OS update.
The driver for my X-Fi is from 2014, and the driver for my DAC is from 2012. Both are working just fine on 1803.
This is on Creative rather than Microsoft really. Whatever they're doing doesn't always seem to migrate across major OS updates.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I run my system through the HDMI in my video card to an AV receiver, and I'm getting 7.1 audio just fine. Some times when I get a driver update, I'll have to reenable 7.1 audio though, which seems to have been made more difficult with this update. I'm not sure if you're experiencing a similar issue.

Try right-clicking the speaker icon in the taskbar, select Speaker Setup -> Advanced setup. Click on your audio device, then hit the Configure button. On the next screen, pick 5.1 or whatever you want to use, then hit Test to change the signal and make sure it's working.