• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
God Of War 3 killed my first ps3 (got the yellow light of death while playing it). If the main menu is any indication God Of War may be the killer of my launch pro. Fans are going crazy.

Did they fix the fan noise in later released pros? If so I may see what I can get from gamestop for my pro and get a GOW pro system.

Before anyone asks yes its in an open area to ventilate.

Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Pros get pretty loud with some games so if it's only the highest fan speed, I wouldn't worry too much. Check for dust and clean if necessary.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Apprently it's not uncommon for loud Pro's, we have a thread here... or was it the old world?

Well, either way, you may have it in an open area but have you cleaned it since launch? It's very easy to pop the Pro's top and check out the fan right quick.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
My Pro sounds like it's about to take off to the Moon when playing God of War. I don't think it's uncommon.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't the console just shut off if it were in any actual danger of being damaged? I wouldn't worry about it tbh. Seems like this game is spinning up most people's fans tbh

Nuszka

Oct 26, 2017
My launch pro is actually very quiet. Horizon for example makes it a bit louder. From what I'm reading I must have lucked out.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
My launch model gets loud during GoW as well (and MHW). I need to pop the cover off and dust it off because it used to be very quiet for quite some time.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
I have played many games for extensive hours on my Pro and haven't encountered a situation like God of War. Fan speed reaches its maximum where there is accelerated particles on the screen. Otherwise it's mostly fine. I wouldn't take it seriously. It really pushes the system to its absolute limits.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Apparently there's a trick to go to Netflix or some app and they slow the fuck down, then you go back to your game. Have fun.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I've always been surprised when people said their pros were loud. I have a launch pro and have never had issues. But since I started playing God of War the noise actually got really loud. I can actually hear the console during the quieter moments of the game now, and that has never happened before. This is playing on resolution mode on a 1080p TV.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
My launch pro is actually very quiet. Horizon for example makes it a bit louder. From what I'm reading I must have lucked out.

There was an issue with Horizon when viewing the map for more than a few seconds would send the fan into meltdown mode. I'm not sure if it has been fixed though but that was the only time my would get loud during Horizon.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
There was an issue with Horizon when viewing the map for more than a few seconds would send the fan into meltdown mode. I'm not sure if it has been fixed though but that was the only time my would get loud during Horizon.

Yeah it's the same with the map on God of War I find. Such a strange time for it go haywire. In open world games I often pause by bringing the map so I had to change that mindset with horizon as I thought my ps4 was about to blow up. I have to say, in comparison the one x is a very slick piece of hardware, I don't hear a sound from it while playing. Weirdly though I do hear the Xbox one controller though, which seems to have a little engine inside it.

Oct 29, 2017
Mine is always pretty loud and GoW crashed on me today. It was the 1st time in the probably 20 hours I've played so far tho

Deleted member 123

The easy, simple solution is to try Performance Mode.

Why bother a bit with the Resolution Mode to enjoy the glory in 4k, when you can use Performance Mode to make the graphics feel realistic?

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
My old pro was loud then I sold it but I bought another one two days ago and it's quiet. I thought people were lying when they would say their pro wasn't loud but I guess not.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's the noisiest game yet on my Pro. I didn't think anything could top Lost Legacy but holy shit it really does. It's ridiculously loud. I'm still baffled that Sony ever thought this was acceptable for a consumer product.

Tempted to try that heatsink compound replacement - has anyone on here had any success in reducing the noise?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
For the first time ever, I am using headphones to play a console game. My launch pro is louder than my old Radeon HD 6990 at 100% fan speed and launch XB360 when I'm in the menus, and generally just really loud during gameplay too. It's actually distracting from the gameplay.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah both mine and my mates launch PS4 Pro's literally sound as loud as a hair dryer while playing God of War. I left the game running while I went upstairs to the bedroom yesterday and could hear it still from the other side of the house.

I personally don't think the console should have even been allowed to get this loud. When we have guests round I'm almost embarrassed to have the system on.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Pro in November, just 6 months ago. This game makes my entire bedroom warm and the fans kick up like crazy. No other PS4 game does that for me. Far Cry 5 on ultra settings doesn't even heat up my room this much. It's insane.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Oddly enough, it's mostly very loud for me during the cutscenes, but not so much in menus (like in Horizon Zero Dawn before it was patched, and Rise of the Tomb Raider) or during gameplay. It was so loud in the beginning of the game, that I didn't hear the music at all. That's why I'm playing the game with headphones on. Apparently there's still a problem with unlocked framerates during cutscenes/menus heating up the system. Hopefully it'll be fixed at some point.

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
I don't notice it during gameplay, only in menus and the map, which makes me think it's running at an unlocked framerate. It's happened before with other games and there's no reason for it. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Pro using resolution mode.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sony needs to improve the built quality of their consoles. There´s a night and day difference between the S/Slim and the X/Pro.

Oct 25, 2017
My PS4 Pro model (CUH-7116B) has not had any serious fan noise issues in any game, including other games that people on this forum have said are causing them. Haven't played GOW though.

On the other hand, my launch PS4 amateur model (CUH-1004A) makes an absolutely horrible noise in almost every 60 fps game.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt bother trying to roullete wheel a quiet Pro if you're trying to buy again. Those types of fans are supposed to run fast and hard like blower fans on certain GPUs that sound like jet engines. It's more surprising that there's any at all that run quiet.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Does anyone know if you can mod the fan on the pro with like a pc fan?

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I can't stand the noise anymore, just finished creating a custom case design with a better cooling system(pc heatsink/fan). The noise is so bad you can hear it meters away. Blower fans are too noisy, no idea why Sony keeps on using them.

I've re-pasted it 3 times so its clearly the fans RPM inside that tiny housing causing the noise.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
For the first time ever, I am using headphones to play a console game. My launch pro is louder than my old Radeon HD 6990 at 100% fan speed and launch XB360 when I'm in the menus, and generally just really loud during gameplay too. It's actually distracting from the gameplay.

Louder than 360, lawd that is loud!

I've not tried the game yet, hoping to get it soon. My Pro is generally fairly unobtrusive, so will interesting to see just how annoying it will get.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My launch PS4 Pro makes moderate "woosh" sound when playing God of War as well as other high profile PS4 games. It would be nice if it was quieter, but it's still within reason and not the end of the world. Maybe I just lucked out with my Pro.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
my pro is very loud too. I usually use wolfenstein 2 as the basis for pro loudness, that game ran so loud that I was scared my pro was going to break. This is a little under that. Wolfenstein was so loud that at some points it was louder than my tv volume and i couldnt hear the in game talking

It seems that gow runs the loudest when i open up the world map.