• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Had a problem with this up until I installed a fan at the back of my tv console where my Pro is located. It helped a lot, especially with the change in temperature since it's getting warmer out. The fan still kicks on, but doesn't sound blow dryer loud.

61XCzxjCbKL._SL1000_.jpg

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is loud with a lot of games too, I'm worried GOW will kill it lol

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
To folks saying their Pro is loud have you cleaned the heatsink or have you "cleaned" the heatsink by removing it the hard way and having to repaste?

Mine was loud to the point where I couldn't take it no more. I thought cleaning it through the easily opened side (that give access to the fan) would have been fine. I used bore brushes and canned air.

This is what my heatsink looked like when I took it completely apart.

https://ibb.co/e9vj4H

After I cleaned it up I added some quality MX4 thermal compound and it's fine now.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
If I add a fan behind my tv, should it blow the hot air out or blow cold air in?

It's pretty much to exhaust the hot air where your console is located. My tv stand doesn't have a door where my Pro is so you don't really need more than one fan. Plus the fan is pretty big and really quiet so it being on doesn't really add to the noise the Pro's fan is making. Also, I make it habit of cleaning the fans of the Pro every 3-4 weeks just to keep them clean.

Nanika

Dec 4, 2017
I can confirm GoW is very loud on my Pro too. Had it for a year, it's not a launch one.

Usually the only slightly annoying sound is the from disc but here it's so bad it remind me the X360 running GTA4...
I play on my computer monitor with really crappy speakers and I can't hear anything half of the time.
The really hot weather we had this week probably doesn't help (Today: 27°C outside, 25 inside)

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I have a newer white PS4 Pro, bought new in February, and yes it can get stupid loud at times with this game. Frustrating that it wasnt designed better.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much to exhaust the hot air where your console is located. My tv stand doesn't have a door where my Pro is so you don't really need more than one fan. Plus the fan is pretty big and really quiet so it being on doesn't really add to the noise the Pro's fan is making. Also, I make it habit of cleaning the fans of the Pro every 3-4 weeks just to keep them clean.
Any chance you could take a dingy photo of your actual entertainment stand, with the fan installed? I'm really curious. And do you just casually flip it the switch on when you want to use your pro?

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Glad I didn't get one yet. Hopefully, a smaller revision is announced at E3. My OG PS4 is really quiet and the game looks amazing on the base hardware.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Any chance you could take a dingy photo of your actual entertainment stand, with the fan installed? I'm really curious. And do you just casually flip it the switch on when you want to use your pro?

Sorry for the quality, but here you go. Yeah, I pretty much turn the fan on when I turn my PS4 on just so I don't have to do it later. They do sell the attachment that comes with the digital temperature gauge, but that's kind of overkill for me.

Edit: Sorry the pics are huge, I forgot to resize them!

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Pro gets so loud that if i'm playing this game late, i'm basically forced to play with headphones because i can't put the volume up loud enough to mask the fan noise.

Which leads to another issue. Why am i not able to enable headphone mode? I plug in headphones to the bottom of the controller and get sound, but the game doesn't recognize it and gives me an error saying that headphone mode can only be enabled if a stereo output is detected.

NexasX

Oct 29, 2017
Perspectives' on the PS4's design notwithstanding (I think it's fine), my experience as with most other people here has purely been in the menus, specifically the world map. That's when it starts spinning at levels that makes me worried for the system's health. Otherwise though I don't see much of a issue beyond what I've seen in other games.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the quality, but here you go. Yeah, I pretty much turn the fan on when I turn my PS4 on just so I don't have to do it later. They do sell the attachment that comes with the digital temperature gauge, but that's kind of overkill for me.

Edit: Sorry the pics are huge, I forgot to resize them!
This is pretty great. I'll have to look into it for myself. Thank you for posting!

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my ps4 was blasting when i had the menu up a while ago. loudest i've heard the ps4.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first time I started the game the menu screen made my Pro crazy loud. Probably the loudest I've ever heard it get. I can only assume the framerate is unlocked here which is causing this.

Other than that the game hasn't really made it get that loud.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Same with my launch ps pro. Sony really need to get a handle on this going forward - the noise is unacceptable. I removed the top cover yesterday for the first time to give it a clean but there didn't seem to be much dust.

As with the OG PS4 there seems to be a bit of a fan lottery with Delta and Nidec fans. Nidec being a lot quieter. Mine seems to be a Delta :(

Wow, I wonder how I can get a hold of a Nidec fan?

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So does anyone have a model 71XX rather than a 70xx Pro that is really loud? My GOW console is the new 7115B model and whenever its on it makes a dull whooshing sound that is audible in a quiet room but nothing more than that. During God of War it ramps up a little at the main menu, but is very quiet during gameplay. Supposedly the 7100+ models were redesigned and it affected the noise output. Units bearing these changes started appearing in stores around October 2017. Apparently another change that will let you know you have a newer revision is there's no longer any tape on the HD door. The model number is on the back, btw.

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't tried GOW yet, but my launch Pro has been pretty quiet for most games, but there has been a few games that really get it going.

Sucks to hear a lot of people have unbearably loud PS4 Pros, I know that when the fan really gets going I throw headphones on so I don't hear it. I can't imagine having to do that all the time.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm on my second Pro, and while it's quieter than the one I initially had it's still ridiculously loud when playing Pro enhanced games. It's really insane to think that QC would allow these out on the market. It's incredibly distracting.

On the other hand, the OG PS4 I had back in 2014-15 was fairly quiet, though I remember people complaining about the noise level on those as well. So I guess the lottery is real. Truly baffling and maddening.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
My pro is surprisingly quiet with this game. It makes some noise but it's tolerable.

Nothing touches Wolfenstein 2 when it comes to fan noise on the pro. I literally had to drop the game because of this.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Noisy on my Pro too, but the Pro is the noisiest console I've ever owned so I'm not surprised. It genuinely makes me avoid using it wherever I have a choice. My headphones are open back too so even if I wear headphones during quiet dramatic scenes it can often be distracting when the fans are whirring up and down - totally pulls you out of it.

Unlocked menu framerates. Very stupid decision and kinda obvious.

This has been a thing ever since the PS4 has existed, it baffles me that the Sony haven't resolved this on an OS/Console level yet as clearly devs aren't interested in sorting it. Game menus often make the fans go nuts on a base PS4/Pro. I'm not knowledgeable enough when it comes to game development, but why would developers uncap the framerate on a menu and not just cap it at 60?

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My Pro sounded like a plane taking off during a cut scene. But during gameplay, its not that "loud". BTW I have a hard copy.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unlocked menu framerates. Very stupid decision and kinda obvious.
Are you sure? I tried resolution and performance modes, in resolution mode (30fps lock) I can definitely feel a lot more input lag when navigating menus compared to performance mode (60fps target). Which would indicate menus don't have unlocked fps in 30fps mode.

alexross

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely the loudest game I've played on my launch ps4 pro. Other games are lot quieter or start the fans only after a while. With GoW the fan starts spinning immediatly like a washer and doesn't stop. putting the console in the middle of the room doesn't help. Xbox X with FFXV of The Witcher is more and more silent

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Same with my launch ps pro. Sony really need to get a handle on this going forward - the noise is unacceptable. I removed the top cover yesterday for the first time to give it a clean but there didn't seem to be much dust.

As with the OG PS4 there seems to be a bit of a fan lottery with Delta and Nidec fans. Nidec being a lot quieter. Mine seems to be a Delta :(

both fans are designed to move the same amount of air so the whooshing sound will be similar. the tone of the fan caused by the bearing is what changes between brands.
the delta has a higher pitch in the video but that could be due to the audio from both clips not being normalized. if you turn up the nidec part you can still hear the whine sound and the fan overall sounds similar.
the difference could also be from new thermal paste and the nidec hasn't needed to spin up just as fast yet. Having looked up the results of the fan swap many seem to think it still sounds similar or slightly better... most likely placebo effect.
Before buying a fan I would advice doing a good cleaning and replacing the thermal paste.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To folks saying their Pro is loud have you cleaned the heatsink or have you "cleaned" the heatsink by removing it the hard way and having to repaste?

Mine was loud to the point where I couldn't take it no more. I thought cleaning it through the easily opened side (that give access to the fan) would have been fine. I used bore brushes and canned air.

This is what my heatsink looked like when I took it completely apart.

https://ibb.co/e9vj4H

After I cleaned it up I added some quality MX4 thermal compound and it's fine now.

I opened mine an hour ago and cleaned the best I can without reaching the heatsink. I was scared to unplug the wiring tbh on the metal sheet. Is there a way to get to the heatsink from the top? I thought if I removed the power supply from the top I'd see some of the heatsink and clean it but the power supply wouldn't budge and thought there are screws stuck to it from the bottom.

I have a brand new ps4 on cold tile and it gets loud as well

Is here any aftermarket coolers that actually work?

Don't place the PS4 on the floor. It'll suck in all the dust and hair and whatever.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Well i bought my pro just days before god of war so... it's really silent.
Still hating on the controller's light bar tho, wth Sony! I don't need a flashlight on my controller.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Mine varies, sometimes it gets loud (usually at the start when I'm playing) or if I open the map menu. I assume it gets super loud there because like a lot of console games they don't seem to understand to enable some type of fps limiter so the ps4 gpu is just going crazy running super high frames and overworking itself when it really shouldn't be doing so.

It's not like a constant loud, just once in a while it can get loud.

Well i bought my pro just days before god of war so... it's really silent.
Still hating on the controller's light bar tho, wth Sony! I don't need a flashlight on my controller.

I hated the lightbar so much, especially since it reflected quite well off my tv when playing in front of it.

Solution (since Sony seems not to want to let you turn it off) is just tried and true duct tape, cut out a strip big enough to cover the light.

That's what I did, it might not look pretty but it sure works better then having a bright light (even when you have it set to dim) in your face.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are still under warranty USE IT. My Pro was the loudest mf in the world but I was out of warranty so I sold it. However, my Xbox One X is still under warranty and I used it. I went from my initial kinda loud model to a whisper quiet one just by exchanging it.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Absolutely the loudest game I've played on my launch ps4 pro. Other games are lot quieter or start the fans only after a while. With GoW the fan starts spinning immediatly like a washer and doesn't stop. putting the console in the middle of the room doesn't help. Xbox X with FFXV of The Witcher is more and more silent

'god of war is arguably the game that makes the ps4 pro the loudest it ever gets' :) ...

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Perspectives' on the PS4's design notwithstanding (I think it's fine), my experience as with most other people here has purely been in the menus, specifically the world map. That's when it starts spinning at levels that makes me worried for the system's health. Otherwise though I don't see much of a issue beyond what I've seen in other games.

HZD has the same menu issue in my experience. Weird

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yes, I noticed that, too.

For some weird reason, even the Shop menu gets the fans turning up like crazy (= as fast/loud as it can possibly be).

I wonder if that can be fixed by an update. (Edit: Could be unlocked framerates, yes!).

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
I opened mine an hour ago and cleaned the best I can without reaching the heatsink. I was scared to unplug the wiring tbh on the metal sheet. Is there a way to get to the heatsink from the top? I thought if I removed the power supply from the top I'd see some of the heatsink and clean it but the power supply wouldn't budge and thought there are screws stuck to it from the bottom.

Don't place the PS4 on the floor. It'll suck in all the dust and hair and whatever.

The picture I posted shows what my heatsink looked like from cleaning it monthly about 6 months after launch (it's a launch model). Like I said even if you have bore brushes, canned air and all sorts of other tool you cannot get the far left side or the top right sides.

Mine was unbearably loud during Knack 2, MGS4, Wolfenstein 2, etc.

It didn't stop until I took it completely apart and did a deep clean. I completely cleaned off the APU with Artic Clean kit, cotton swabs and coffee filters. Used a small pea amount of MX4 and put it all back together after cleaning the heatsink completely.

My Pro is a launch model and now I can leave it in the menu on MGS4 or while planning Wolfenstein and I can't hear it.

Even if I put my ear next too it all I'm hearing is the flow of air coming out the back.

I mean look at that heatsink, that's like 45% blockage in airflow. I'm a PC guy so for me this was incredibly easy to do. It was just time consuming because you literally have to take the whole thing apart almost.

Tbh I'm thinking about getting some after market dust filters that would normally be for PCs and place them in the Pro gaps on the side and see how well that works.

But to answer your question no there is no way to get to that area unless you take it completely apart.

Even if you just try to do it from the PSU side you're not getting the front of the Heatsink where the fan shroud connects.

The best you could do is push it out where the fan is then blow it out from the other side but you just can't see it to make sure.

I'd recommend everyone buy some quality thermal compound and take the hour or so to do it if they are out of warranty.

Keep everything tidy and keep an account of your screws. Use a small pea sized amount of thermal paste and don't use paste that's conductive.

I'm not going to fault Sony and their design choices, it's increbily compact and efficient.

Last edited: