• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Deadspin:
I swear that headline up there is not the result of late night Mad Libs. Patriots tight end Benjamin Watson was on Fox News with conservative shithead Laura Ingraham Monday to discuss a recent article by Jemele Hill. It became clear almost immediately that Watson was expected to share Ingraham's sneering contempt for Hill's argument, and when he did not, Ingraham was reduced to blurting out middle-school-grade retorts and awkwardly shuffling Watson off camera. It ruled.

Hill made the case very persuasively for the October edition of The Atlantic that top black recruits should attend and play for historically black colleges and universities, as a way of investing the value of their athletic exploits in institutions that "play an important role in the creation and propagation of a black professional class." Her case is built on the monetary windfall reaped from athletics by overwhelmingly white schools in the Power Five conferences, largely via the work of black male athletes, and is backed up by eye-popping statistics:
About 30 Division I schools each bring in at least $100 million in athletic revenue every year. Almost all of these schools are majority white—in fact, black men make up only 2.4 percent of the total undergraduate population of the 65 schools in the so-called Power Five athletic conferences. Yet black men make up 55 percent of the football players in those conferences, and 56 percent of basketball players.
[...]
Despite constituting only 3 percent of four-year colleges in the country, HBCUs have produced 80 percent of the black judges, 50 percent of the black lawyers, 50 percent of the black doctors, 40 percent of the black engineers, 40 percent of the black members of Congress, and 13 percent of the black CEOs in America today. (They have also produced this election cycle's only black female candidate for the U.S. presidency: Kamala Harris is a 1986 graduate of Howard University.)
You should read the whole thing. As you might expect, a thoughtful argument in favor of HBCUs reaping a greater share of the billions of dollars of revenue generated by black athletes has once again put Hill afoul of our country's sleaziest bad-faith media operators. Ingraham, a vocal opponent of the very concept of diversity, suddenly finds herself offended by the notion of black athletes turning down largely white schools and enrolling at HBCUs. In order to lend this new offense the thinnest greasy sheen of credibility, Ingraham invited Patriots tight end Benjamin Watson onto her show Monday night, presumably so that he could speak authoritatively about college athletics from the perspective of a black athlete. It's clear from how this went down that the very last thing in the world Ingraham expected was for Watson to enthusiastically agree with Hill's position, backed by statistics of his own.

What an idiot. Lock if old.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
You can tell she wanted to call him ungrateful with every fibre of her being when she came back at him about Duke University.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article is different than understanding.

The way she cuts him off with her having the last word, smh.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I fully support the abandonment of white colleges for HBCUs. Sounds like a great idea, also pay those athletes.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I swear there's one entity in her and Tucker's bodies and they just go back and forth between them.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I fully support the abandonment of white colleges for HBCUs. Sounds like a great idea, also pay those athletes.
I don't agree that college athletes should be paid, however they need to stop commercializing college sports on a way that is similar to professional sports. They shouldn't be televised.

I'll probably get flack for saying they shouldn't get paid, but if we start paying college athletics, it just opens the floodgates into all types of pay inequities. Stop paying college coaches millions of dollars while we're at it.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably get flack for saying they shouldn't get paid, but if we start paying college athletics, it just opens the floodgates into all types of pay inequities.
I'm not sure I understand? Can you give an example, I'm not really well read on college athletics.

Stop paying college coaches millions of dollars while we're at it.
They absolutely should but I'm not sure if this is the inequity you're talking about? Athletes are the people who work the hardest so they should be paid fairly for their labor, especially given the marketing potentials. Coaches, I don't know how much labor they actually do but probably not millions of dollars of labor.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I'm not sure I understand? Can you give an example, I'm not really well read on college athletics.

They absolutely should but I'm not sure if this is the inequity you're talking about? Athletes are the people who work the hardest so they should be paid fairly for their labor, especially given the marketing potentials. Coaches, I don't know how much labor they actually do but probably not millions of dollars of labor.
I suppose it's not really any different than pro sports. But if we are talking paying college students, it basically means basketball and football and lesser extent hockey. Those are those college sports that have national following on a large scale. What about all those band kids on the field? Are they getting paid too? Probably pennies compared to a player. College Rowing team? Is there money for that?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
What a fantastic idea-who wouldn't be supportive of this?

And why the hell does this dummy STILL have a show? How do we get her doing a podcast in a basement somewhere like Bill ORiley?

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So attempt to kill college sports so there's no money to pay the athletes. Bold move.
They aren't getting paid anyway. Removing the commercial aspect of certain college sports isn't going to kill college sports.

Nearly everything happening at the ncaa level is unethical.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Duke would not be happy".

Sounds fucking good to me.

Ingraham in attempting to dismiss his point only reinforced it.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suppose it's not really any different than pro sports. But if we are talking paying college students, it basically means basketball and football and lesser extent hockey. Those are those college sports that have national following on a large scale. What about all those band kids on the field? Are they getting paid too? Probably pennies compared to a player. College Rowing team? Is there money for that?
IIRC college athletics is a net revenue generator for colleges. I'd say "pay any athlete who participates in a revenue generating sport" and the rest can just continue on normally.

My problem here, fundamentally, is that a lot of money is being made and it's not going to the people who worked hardest to make that money.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The kids getting Philosophy degrees are also going to get lower paying jobs than those who study Finance. That's life.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
IIRC college athletics is a net revenue generator for colleges. I'd say "pay any athlete who participates in a revenue generating sport" and the rest can just continue on normally.
And leave all the other poor bastards who compete at the national level but their programs make no money out?

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
"I read the article... I read the article!"
("I just don't care about black people ok?")

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
IIRC college athletics is a net revenue generator for colleges.
The athletic department at my school (U. Michigan @ Ann Arbor) is entirely self-sufficient explicitly because of the revenue the football and basketball programs create on ticket and merch sales, along with their apparel deals. Those 2 sports essentially pay for all of the other sports, stadiums and facilities upgrades.

Not a dime of it comes out of student tuition or state funding. Not every school is Michigan for that to be realistic, but the point is that athletic departments generate major revenue, whether we're talking about Michigan or Bowling Green University. To say nothing of the increase in student applications that come secondary to athletic success.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Yeah.

I don't care much about sports or competition so it's not a "let's support student athletes" thing, it's a "pay workers for their labor" thing to me.
Capitalism folks. All students athletes bust their ass with labor. What kind of shit are you saying?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are students first. Education is why they are they full stop. I know that's not really the case for many hoping for that chance at pro, but most(probably all) of the athletes playing on the teams are on a full ride.
I had a paid internship from the University of Texas when I was in comp sci. Why shouldn't athletes be allowed to make money like any other student? It's a blatant as fuck double standard. In fact, my professors while I was in comp sci encouraged all their students to get out there and make as much money with paying jobs in the field before they graduated.

Student != professionally poor

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Capitalism folks. All students athletes bust their ass with labor. What kind of shit are you saying?
Not all labor is useful and/or marketable labor. I think collegiate athletics is worthwhile on a cultural level and should be subsidized as one might subsidize the arts, but the difference between competitive rowing and football is that you can sell football for a lot of money, and it should go to the people doing the football and their managers can get a little slice I GUESS.

Plus it's currently a really good way for disadvantaged minorities to climb the social ladder and I don't really want to deprive them of that.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Capitalism when it benefits the athletes = bad

Capitalism when the schools are using free labor to make bank = good

Please don't argue that they shouldn't get paid and then pretend like your argument is that you care about things being fair for the athletes.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whether or not people think student athletes should be paid by their schools directly, you know, whatever, we disagree, but surely everyone can agree that the current rules that forbid players from making money off of their own fucking names is absolute bullshit, right? It's THEIR name, THEIR brand. How fucking crazy is it that someone isn't allowed to sell an autograph of their own name? How fucking crazy is it that it's against the rules to sell your own hardware trophy while in college? You win the rose bowl, they "gift" you a solid gold trophy and brag about how much it's worth, but you aren't allowed to sell it? It's fucking yours!

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

Please don't argue that they shouldn't get paid and then pretend like your argument is that you care about things being fair for the athletes.
Apparently you missed where I said coaches shouldn't be making millions and college sports needs to stop being commercial.

All money made from college sports should be put back into all school programs. Those athletes are not free labor. They are playing a game. And they are getting a free education worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in some cases.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017

not all athletes are gonna be huge revenue gainers and trying to pay things through that scale is going to be tough as hell for any university, which could easily cause some major major issues with the athletes and the students. It's not nearly as easy as your making it.

They should absolutely be able to make money off of their name though, that's without question. But paying them? It's quite a slippery slope to be honest.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're paying the athletes why even bother calling them students? At that point they're employees that happen to be college aged.

Because they go to school and attend classes? There are lots, and lots of paying jobs for students at universities, provided by the university themselves. Do you call paid interns, "not students"?

Again, being paid and being a student are not at all mutually exclusive.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Whether or not people think student athletes should be paid by their schools directly, you know, whatever, we disagree, but surely everyone can agree that the current rules that forbid players from making money off of their own fucking names is absolute bullshit, right? It's THEIR name, THEIR brand. How fucking crazy is it that someone isn't allowed to sell an autograph of their own name? How fucking crazy is it that it's against the rules to sell your own hardware trophy while in college? You win the rose bowl, they "gift" you a solid gold trophy and brag about how much it's worth, but you aren't allowed to sell it? It's fucking yours!
That I will agree with. I fully don't think students should get paid. They wouldn't be students at that point. However, they should be able to do what they want with their own namesake.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And they are getting a free education worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in some cases.

FREE* education

*except with extreme restrictions on what classes and majors they're allowed to take, and only "free" if they work an additional 40 hours a week** in practice on top of attending class

**net worth of said worth is millions of dollars

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Because they go to school and attend classes? There are lots, and lots of paying jobs for students at universities, provided by the university themselves. Do you call paid interns, "not students"?

Again, being paid and being a student are not at all mutually exclusive.
How are you equating a student who tutors or does other campus jobs with a college athlete? College sports are not jobs. They are extra-curricular.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
FREE* education

*except with extreme restrictions on what classes and majors they're allowed to take, and only "free" if they work an additional 40 hours a week** in practice on top of attending class

And it's what they are choosing to do. No one is making anyone play a game.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are you equating a student who tutors or does other campus jobs with a college athlete? College sports are not jobs. They are extra-curricular.

How are they "extra-curricular" when they award scholarships for them? They are in the most literal sense curricular.

The only reason they are "not jobs" is because they don't get paid for it. Which is circular reasoning, as you're using them being "not jobs" as an excuse to not pay them.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
FREE* education

you think these star athletes are intending class?