• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, so we pay high school students too for their "work"?

Er, yes? Students above the age of employment can work at their school, I had friends who did that. And even for students below the age of employment, exemptions can and are made for hardships. Highschools can literally pay their students, and they are still students none the less.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If their labor creates value, they should be paid. Whether students under the age of 18 should be allowed to "work" at all is a different discussion.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Consider this -- if these things aren't jobs with value or worth, then why do major colleges grant their players enormous insurance packages? The entire reason they do so is because the know there is an enormous amount of worth in the value of these players. You can actually put a dollar amount on how much a college athlete is worth, individually, because colleges do it for every single player.
No one is arguing that players don't offer value to a college. They wouldn't be playing if they didn't. But you are cherry picking here. These packages you are talking about don't include all college athletes.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one is arguing that players don't offer value to a college. They wouldn't be playing if they didn't. But you are cherry picking here. These packages you are talking about don't include all college athletes.

So you're arguing that people whom you admit add value to a program shouldn't be compensated for their contribution, and your argument is that doing so is "ethically wrong" and "isn't fair"?

Talk about being all over the place

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Er, yes? Students above the age of employment can work at their school, I had friends who did that. And even for students below the age of employment, exemptions can and are made for hardships. Highschools can literally pay their students, and they are still students none the less.
You again are confusing a job with an extra-curricular activity. I know you can pay students who are in school, I hire student workers in the summer every single year at my school. I'm not paying them to play baseball, I'm paying them to clean an iPad.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So you're arguing that people whom you admit add value to a program shouldn't be compensated for their contribution, and your argument is that doing so is "ethically wrong" and "isn't fair"?

Talk about being all over the place
Students who maintain high GPA's also add value to a college. Should they be paid?

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
You accept his premise that players can offer a value (in a dollar amount) but then want to argue marginal popper qualifications about "not all players". I think you're just arguing for argument sake here.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You again are confusing a job with an extra-curricular activity. I know you can pay students who are in school, I hire student workers in the summer every single year at my school. I'm not paying them to play baseball, I'm paying them to clean an iPad.

The only reason highschools don't pay their football players, is because it violates NFHS (and in Texas, UIL) rules, which are set in accordance with NCAA regulations, i.e. if they pay their players, they lock them out of being able to go to college. None of this is law, these are all regulatory guidelines by non-governmental agencies.

It's all circular logic. There is no solid foundation for any of your beliefs, other than "that's how it is." Your definition of job or extra-curricular activities are all over the place.

Again, UT hired me to do Comp Sci work, not "clean ipods," while I was a comp sci major. It happens at every school, in every discipline except sports, because of double standards.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
You accept his premise that players can offer a value (in a dollar amount) but then want to argue marginal popper qualifications a about "not all players". I think you're just arguing for argument sake here.
I didn't say anything about a dollar amount. Value doesn't always equate to money.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thats not what I replied to with my value comment either.

Regardless of whether you choose to acknowledge that value in this case is quite literally money, thems the facts. We're talking about money, the value college athletes bring to the table is literally shitloads of cash. Their compensation they are requesting is coming directly from their value, i.e. money.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I consider myself pretty radical but I never thought of paying kids to go to school, but now that I think about it it isn't such a bad idea.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The value of Prestige:

CI6CM9K.png

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
FREE* education

*except with extreme restrictions on what classes and majors they're allowed to take, and only "free" if they work an additional 40 hours a week** in practice on top of attending class

**net worth of said worth is millions of dollars
Not to mention the sports scholarships that can be revoked on a serious injury the athlete might suffer playing.

Education first, my ass. It's just a revenue generator for the college.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Not to mention the sports scholarships that can be revoked on a serious injury the athlete might suffer playing.

Education first, my ass. It's just a revenue generator for the college.
yes. and not just in direct money for sales from tickets, but all the additional apparel sales around the world, increases in alumni donations, and increases in student applications which allows the college to be more selective and increase their rankings and prestige over time.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
PS - college kids get kicked out of school who don't maintain a 2.0 gpa. some higher so. The value of the GPA for colleges is high. Even though you are paying them year salaries worth of cash to go to school, they will absolutely throw you out on your ass if you can't make a c- average in most cases.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Sure, this thing you do is functionally identical to a full time, incredibly well paying job that you'll get in 3-4 years time, and sure, it generates billions of dollars in revenue for the slave owners college athletics departments, and sure, we're so concerned about lawsuits regarding exploitation that we'll take out multi-million dollar insurance policies directly related to your talent, and sure, the risk you take doing this thing at this level is just as real as the risk you take in the future 'real employment' version of this activity...

but paying you for doing it would just be so unfair. Think of the children! It's not like you HAVE to accept this offer, just go work at KFC for the rest of your life instead!"

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
I just want to add when I was looking to transfer to a big state college. The admissions officer told us in a joking way to buy football merch and tickets. Cause that stuff also pays for scholarships for regular students.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How did a topic about the benefits of black athletes' talents going towards HBCUs end up on a debate about not paying black people for their labor...again????

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Cap athlete salaries it at $100K. Done. If they are injured, their scholarship should be guaranteed. I was paid to work at my University's radio station. Ironically, covering athletics.

However, this would also work against HBCU schools. Many would simply not be able to afford talent like an Alabama would and the lack of notoriety from smaller schools would not attract endorsements. So paying students would work against the thesis of the article, I suppose.

Last edited:

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Cap athlete salaries it at $100K. Done. If they are injured, their scholarship should be guaranteed.

I was paid to work at my University's radio station. Ironically, covering athletics.
Nah. I do think colleges themselves shouldn't be the ones to pay athletes, BUT I do think athletes should be able to take endorsements, money from boosters, and in general get all the free shit they can get. The fact that college athletes can't profit off of their own likeness is fucking asinine in a country that's all about capitalism and getting paid.

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
How did a topic about the benefits of black athletes' talents going towards HBCUs end up on a debate about not paying black people for their labor...again????
Yes, how strange that Laura Ingraham, of all people, would for some reason argue that black people should exist only to make money for white people 🤔

I wonder what her motive could be 🤔

🤔

🤔🤔🤔

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of hoping this thread would be 3 pages of dunking on Laura Ingraham but alas, it was not to be.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
What's great is that his arguments has enough 'by your bootstraps' 'community taking care of itself' that if foxnews wasn't racist, just uber-conservative, they would have nutted on themselves

Oct 31, 2017
What's great is that his arguments has enough 'by your bootstraps' 'community taking care of itself' that if foxnews wasn't racist, just uber-conservative, they would have nutted on themselves

racists are always caught between "blacks should do for themselves" arguments but when black people actually do something for ourselves, racists become really uncomfortable (i.e. the reactions to Peele saying he wouldn't cast a white guy in his movies) or explosively violent(i.e. Greenwood, Oklahoma, Rosewood, Florida, etc)

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are all of Fox's hosts required to have that stupid look on their faces?

"I READ THE ARTICLE, I READ THE ARTICLE!"