• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
you think these star athletes are intending class?
They do at my University. I've had numerous athletes in the classes I've taught and I've tutored others. They are on top of those student making sure they do all the work and do it well.

If a university doesn't ensure the athletes are in their classes and doing their work, that's the culture of that university and that athletes program.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Students who maintain high GPA's also add value to a college. Should they be paid?
No the perception of value there is that the college has the ability to train people with high GPAs. If it could be shown that an individual person could have same GPA at any college then they wouldnt provide value to the college itself. Its largely outcomes based.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
She was fighting internally determining if she could get away with calling him ungrateful to Duke. If this was 20 years ago she would have SCREAMED it at him. This lady is so obvious with her shit and it upsets the shit out of me that somebody is looking at her as a journalistic source of information.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Then you have to argue that professional athletics isn't a job either, then you'll have to explain why and also explain what makes something a job
If you are going to argue that a student playing sports is a job, then that applies to all sports at all schools, including high school.

College sports are secondary to academics, same as in secondary school. Students are there first for an education, sports 2nd. Are some players only college to play ball? Sure, but they are still getting the education, they still attend classes and need to pass courses. Most colleges are public and are funded through state tax dollars.

Professionally sports players are not in school earning an education for where they play. They are funded by corporations and private owners. Loopholes allow state taxes to pay for crap like stadiums and such, but they don't pay player salaries. Pro players have contracts, agents, unions. etc.

I'm not sure why this needs to be argued. Yes you can compare one to the other because they both play the same game, yes both make money for organizations, but that does mean they are equal. Pro ball players can get long term contracts and could play up to a decade or more. A college athlete at most gets 3 years and 4 if they are good enough. Many don't make it past the college level.

And if you really want to get down to my opinion. I don't consider pro sports a job. It's only for the special elite that get lucky enough to continue to play sports for money. It's short term for most.

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
If you are going to argue that a student playing sports is a job, then that applies to all sports at all schools, including high school.

College sports are secondary to academics, same as in secondary school. Students are there first for an education, sports 2nd. Are some players only college to play ball? Sure, but they are still getting the education, they still attend classes and need to pass courses. Most colleges are public and are funded through state tax dollars.

Professionally sports players are not in school earning an education for where they play. They are funded by corporations and private owners. Loopholes allow state taxes to pay for crap like stadiums and such, but they don't pay player salaries. Pro players have contracts, agents, unions. etc.

I'm not sure why this needs to be argued. Yes you can compare one to the other because they both play the same game, yes both make money for organizations, but that does mean they are equal. Pro ball players can get long term contracts and could play up to a decade or more. A college athlete at most gets 3 years and 4 if they are good enough. Many don't make it past the college level.

Why is highschool special?

If people are making money of them playing sport whether through ticket, or other, the one doing the sport sjould be paid, even if highschool sport, their age is not a reason to prevent them from making money

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018

And if you really want to get down to my opinion. I don't consider pro sports a job. It's only for the special elite that get lucky enough to continue to play sports for money. It's short term for most.
Musicians, actors.... do you consider these jobs?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The purpose of your major in college is to help prepare you for your career. I wanted to be professional in computer science, so I majored in computer science, which involved lots of classes to prepare me for the rigors of being a professional computer scientist.

Being in major athletics at a college campus is the EXACT. SAME. THING. There is a jump in not only physical talent, but mental talent between highschool and "pro" sports, which college trains you for. You learn how to play football in college. How do you not get this? Do you not watch sports or something? SPORTS ARE A PART OF SCHOOL.

Of course playing sports is a profession. It takes up all of someone's time. It's both mentally and physically demanding.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone allowed to make billions literally off the back of student athletics except for the student? And why is the system rigged to funnel student athletics into it? Why not allow them when they turn 18 to go to the league of their choice? Why are the sports with high percentage of black players get hit the hardest?

Answer to this and more: Racism

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually wish she'd let him speak at the end because it seemed to me like there was something worth discussing about whether or not black people withdrawing their attendance from historically white major universities to attend and support HBCUs would cause any harm in terms of diversity, even if it didn't change the legitimacy of the main point (as far as what I gleaned from the video).

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is everyone allowed to make billions literally off the back of student atheltics except for the student? And why is the system rigged to funnel student athletics into it? Why not allow them when they turn 18 to go to the league of their choice? Why are the sports with high percentage of black players get hit the hardest?

It's for their own good! Just like how that rule they tried to pass about needing a BS to become an agent was for their own good

/s

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's for their own good! Just like how that rule they tried to pass about needing a BS to become an agent was for their own good

/s
Funny how so much American logic negatively infantlizes women and PoC, but let somebody in Kansas burn a cross and suddenly they just don't know any better and the country failed them. Funny how that is?

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Everything involving HBCUs these days:

tumblr_pt3gyieHKi1qg1n95_1280.png

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

There are absolutely some bigoted stereotypes and generalizations from people who sound like they're not too familiar with sports. Seeing this thread and posters try and make the case that the poor guy at the library is missing out because the athlete "took" his spot is some straight shit I'd expect to see from Fox comments sections rather than era. One joker here is fine with paying kids to clean iPads, but to hell with those football or basketball players bringing in the income and putting their bodies on the line, they're just there having a good time. Who will think about the row team? It's either ignorance or they're being purposely obtuse.

Never mind the assumptions made regarding the ignorance of the players academically.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Why is everyone allowed to make billions literally off the back of student athletics except for the student? And why is the system rigged to funnel student athletics into it? Why not allow them when they turn 18 to go to the league of their choice? Why are the sports with high percentage of black players get hit the hardest?

Answer to this and more: Racism

I don't think it's that deep. Boxing, Track, Baseball have plenty of minority athletes and don't have these restrictions because they're not big money makers for schools. NFL probably wouldn't draft 18 year olds with high school level coaching so they would have to enter some kind of minor league which doesn't currently exist. Basketball, I agree with you, it doesn't make sense there.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's that deep. Boxing, Track, Baseball have plenty of minority athletes and don't have these restrictions because they're not big money makers for schools. NFL probably wouldn't draft 18 year olds with high school level coaching so they would have to enter some kind of minor league which doesn't currently exist. Basketball, I agree with you, it doesn't make sense there.
My brother in law was a pitcher for Texas A&M. They have the exact same restrictions.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought baseball players can enter the pros from HS?

You get a choice -- either you can go straight from HS to the minor leagues, or, if you go to college, you cannot leave until your junior year. During that time, if you attempt any way to make money, you lose your scholarship and eligibility to play in the NCAA. Obviously most people go to college because something like 95% of players who make it to the minor leagues wash out. My brother in law eventually pitched for the Oakland A's.

There are technically no restrictions about coming straight out of highschool into pro football. It's just that absolutely no NFL team would ever draft a highschool player, because they're not big or strong enough to play in the pros, nor have they the training necessary to run a pro offense or especially a pro defense straight out of highschool.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How am I objectively wrong? College athletics are not a job. Period. It's not the same thing as a student picking up a job in the school library. Not even close.

Wha?

They create a fuckton of revenue. In literally any other activity in which someone creates that much revenue for someone else, they are paid for their services.

That's literally what a job is.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Delete your account dude

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
You get a choice -- either you can go straight from HS to the minor leagues, or, if you go to college, you cannot leave until your junior year. During that time, if you attempt any way to make money, you lose your scholarship and eligibility to play in the NCAA. Obviously most people go to college because something like 95% of players who make it to the minor leagues wash out. My brother in law eventually pitched for the Oakland A's.

There are technically no restrictions about coming straight out of highschool into pro football. It's just that absolutely no NFL team would ever draft a highschool player, because they're not big or strong enough to play in the pros, nor have they the training necessary to run a pro offense or especially a pro defense straight out of highschool.

Thanks I didn't know that about baseball.

I looked up the minimum requirements for Freshman admission consideration for the University of Florida: 4.3-4.6 GPA, SAT scores 1330-1460, ACT scores of 29-33. I know you guys think I'm shitting on college athletes but I have a hard time believing much of the Florida football team gets in without sports. The "guy working at the book store" isn't getting any special consideration for entry based on his student job.

I do think scholarships, room and board and meal stipends should be non rescindable. Getting a debt free college education is huge.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
wont someone think of the sanctity of the for profit college system!!!!!!

In a country with piss poor education, paying nfl players, err im sorry, college players on their way to the NFL aint a slippery fucking slope.

If some old white billionaire is making money off of you, you should be able to send money to your family. The end.

Drop the pearls. Be on the right side of history, not the old white guy saying they shouldn't get paid, whilst he makes generational wealth off of them.

On Topic.

Laura is a shit stain.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
"Despite constituting only 3 percent of four-year colleges in the country, HBCUs have produced 80 percent of the black judges, 50 percent of the black lawyers, 50 percent of the black doctors, 40 percent of the black engineers, 40 percent of the black members of Congress, and 13 percent of the black CEOs in America today. "

Oh wow.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks I didn't know that about baseball.

I looked up the minimum requirements for Freshman admission consideration for the University of Florida: 4.3-4.6 GPA, SAT scores 1330-1460, ACT scores of 29-33. I know you guys think I'm shitting on college athletes but I have a hard time believing much of the Florida football team gets in without sports. The "guy working at the book store" isn't getting any special consideration for entry based on his student job.

I do think scholarships, room and board and meal stipends should be non rescindable. Getting a debt free college education is huge.

A) University of Florida is one of the top universities in the country, their admission rates are not at all the norm

B) The UF Football team is just a tiny fraction of UF's scholarship athletes. UF fields 21 varsity teams

C) 88% of NCAA athletes graduate from college

The idea that scholarship athletes aren't smart enough to get into college is rooted in some gross ideas about segments of society. Don't do that.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know, but from seeing english forum and english news clip, white people seem to get really emotional ic you bring up racism, then it usually go i.to whataboutism or chamge topic

Because most don't like admitting they may have some bigoted tendencies. There tends to be a double-standard of thought when it comes to certain issues and you see it on this topic especially. I still can't believe we're still seeing "guy at the bookstore" comparisons when talking about testing scores and such. Dumb asses work at bookstores too.

Last edited:

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
You know that racist piece of shit was fighting the urge to call him uppity on national television.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Capitalism folks. All students athletes bust their ass with labor. What kind of shit are you saying?

People who make money should get money, how is this a difficult concept? It's admirable that student athletes bust their asses for 4 years for sports no one watches, but if your talent is a revenue driver, you should be compensated, it's a foundation of capitalism.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
How am I objectively wrong? College athletics are not a job. Period. It's not the same thing as a student picking up a job in the school library. Not even close.

You're right. The football players could die or be crippled for life rather than getting a paper cut putting a book up.

Player insurance (not health) use to have to come out player's pockets too (well their family). One great change is that schools can now take out insurance policies for them in case they're hurt badly. This is still based on the player's "value" though, and isn't a flat coverage for all players...which a set payment could be.

Also, what part of playing football is part of normal school activity? Schools make millions off of the players, they should pay them. Their scholarships aren't even close to what others make off of them (millions).

Anyway, it's stupid that this has turned into a "play the players/don't pay them" thread.

This thread is supposed to be about a racist suddenly exiting stage left on national television.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at everyone in this thread defending athletes generating hundreds millions of dollars for their de facto employers without compensation and also losing their rights to monetize their work in any way beyond hoping the NFL drafts them

If you think that's worth defending you're a ghoul

Nov 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC

As long as you're legally old enough to work, why does it matter what you do as a job if it's valued and you're good at it?

I worked as a software engineer during grad school for our Hospital Sciences department because it was something I was good at and better than my previous college job of bagging groceries.

I don't see why someone who is "good at sports" isn't allowed to make money while they're attending college.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it's not really any different than pro sports. But if we are talking paying college students, it basically means basketball and football and lesser extent hockey. Those are those college sports that have national following on a large scale. What about all those band kids on the field? Are they getting paid too? Probably pennies compared to a player. College Rowing team? Is there money for that?
They are students first. Education is why they are they full stop. I know that's not really the case for many hoping for that chance at pro, but most(probably all) of the athletes playing on the teams are on a full ride.
All money made from college sports should be put back into all school programs. Those athletes are not free labor. They are playing a game. And they are getting a free education worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in some cases.
How are you equating a student who tutors or does other campus jobs with a college athlete? College sports are not jobs. They are extra-curricular.
And it's what they are choosing to do. No one is making anyone play a game.
As someone who has spent a lot of time on this issue, and considered it a focus in law school - I headed up our sports law society and used my time there to bring in guests to speak in favor of paying college athletes - I just want to say that, on the first page of this thread alone, you have ran through almost every poorly veiled racist argument in favor of amateur status I've ever encountered.

Without wasting my time on someone who just spouts the NCAA's talking points, let me just encourage you to take a step back and re-evaluate these fucking awful positions.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Don't debate this person. They have no idea what it takes to maintain that level of performance. Move on and don't look back.

OT: Ben is an extremely intelligent guy. IIRC, he was going to Duke to be a doctor of some sort. The guy carries himself very well on and off the field. I am surprised that they tried him like that.

Question, is something wrong with that lady? Her speech is a bit slurred. I am not trying to be mean by asking. I know of her, but I have never heard her speak so I just noticed it.

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
l love this stuff. It's like a window to reality gets opened and the conservative hosts scramble like mad to get it shut again so their viewers don't get exposed to it.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
She might as well have just made clucking noises at the end. She was so lost lol.

l love this stuff. It's like a window to reality gets opened and the conservative hosts scramble like mad to get it shut again so their viewers don't get exposed to it.

A a a, b, bu, but segregation!

Got em!

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
People who make money should get money, how is this a difficult concept? It's admirable that student athletes bust their asses for 4 years for sports no one watches, but if your talent is a revenue driver, you should be compensated, it's a foundation of capitalism.
Not if you ar
As someone who has spent a lot of time on this issue, and considered it a focus in law school - I headed up our sports law society and used my time there to bring in guests to speak in favor of paying college athletes - I just want to say that, on the first page of this thread alone, you have ran through almost every poorly veiled racist argument in favor of amateur status I've ever encountered.

Without wasting my time on someone who just spouts the NCAA's talking points, let me just encourage you to take a step back and re-evaluate these fucking awful positions.
Hoky fucking shit, I guess I'm racist. How the fuck are you including race into this?? Do you realize there are hundreds of collegiate activities? Do you think I'm just talking about football and basketball? Like what the fuck dude.