• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's that deep. Boxing, Track, Baseball have plenty of minority athletes and don't have these restrictions because they're not big money makers for schools. NFL probably wouldn't draft 18 year olds with high school level coaching so they would have to enter some kind of minor league which doesn't currently exist. Basketball, I agree with you, it doesn't make sense there.

The problem is the NCAA is not the only problem in the equation. The major sports leagues benefit heavily from the free development systems the NCAA has. The NFL is the most egregious culprit since they literally do not have any sort of developmental system at all. The NFL uses college football the same way baseball uses its farm system except its free for them. That bs needs to stop especially given the violent nature of football. Also the NBA is very guilty too of this bs but at least they now have a developmental league. Its kind of weird though watching international players who have been making money since 14 years old playing professional basketball like Ricky Rubio and guys like Zion and RJ Barrett had to do a year of unpaid labor in college basketball.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Ben Watson beginning his speech explicity saying: "I READ THE ARTICLE."
That I will agree with. I fully don't think students should get paid. They wouldn't be students at that point. However, they should be able to do what they want with their own namesake.
When I was in grad school, I did two graduate assistantships that paid me $5000 a semester for 20 hours/week of work. I definitely did not bring in nearly as much as revenue to my university as an athlete (hockey was the biggest sport there) and I definitely worked much less. What makes me different?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Ben Watson beginning his speech explicity saying: "I READ THE ARTICLE."

When I was in grad school, I did two graduate assistantships that paid me $5000 a semester for 20 hours/week of work. I definitely did not bring in nearly as much as revenue to my university as an athlete (hockey was the biggest sport there) and I definitely worked much less. What makes me different?
1.) you're not an undergrad
2.) it was probably part of your program to graduate or helped in that regard.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Hoky fucking shit, I guess I'm racist. How the fuck are you including race into this?? Do you realize there are hundreds of collegiate activities? Do you think I'm just talking about football and basketball? Like what the fuck dude.
Just saying that, as someone with a lot of experience with this issue, you're making arguments that I see a lot of racists make, and that prop up a system that is inherently racist. So either you buy into them too, or you're just one of the rubes that the NCAA has managed to sucker with it's pathetic excuses for keeping "amateur status."

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
The whole college football thing is nuts.

IMO professional football and basketball teams should have academies like soccer teams do. There should be an U-23 Football league where players get paid living wages. Developing talent is cheaper than buying established players so there's an incentive to give youth a chance